The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+33
JDizzle
Bull
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Kidderlad
king_carlos
Biltong
msp83
LOVERBOY
HantsHenry
chrisss
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
kingdaveeagle
Mat
SimonofSurrey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
atletico86
jimbohammers
jbd349
Shelsey93
jimbobgooner
Dulwich_Dog
Tibor
ChrisfromStroud
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
37 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 6 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys

Just a quick one to let you know that I have spoken with All Out Cricket regarding the amount of Surrey fans we have here at 606v2, and they're going to look to provide any Surrey related blogs/news/articles that they have to this section. Given that their office is located near to the Oval, they often chat with the Surrey guys and as such get some good interviews, so hopefully they can get some of those across here for you fellas to get your teeth into.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 6 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 7:42 pm

The results in the next month or so could see the whole season go to hell in a handbasket but who would blame them? Got to be right for RHB to take time out, he must be devastated. Full marks to Nora for having the cojones to agree to take on what must be a seriously struggling group.

Good luck lads - especially for my birthday treat* (*a day late) against the Other Lot at the Oval this Friday Very Happy

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 03 Jul 2012, 10:42 pm

One hopes that RHB can do whatever he needs to do to come back from this tragic event, it has obviously affected him badly and if a break is what he needs then I wish him all the best and glad the club are supporting him fully. The rest of the season could well be a write off tbh and like Simon said we really can't blame them. Gareth Batty is a top man for taking on the captaincy - I know someone who spoke to him the other day and said he just seemed to be on autopilot and trying to keep himself together. As I read somewhere else, can't be easy seeing the empty peg in the dressing room.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

I was at the Oval tonight. Very emotional seeing the tributes to Tom Maynard. Some of the written tributes were particularly moving. Sad that some of the flowers left - presumably on the day or soon after - had now died.

Given the circumstances, it was probably inevitable that there would be over two weeks between Tom's death and his funeral. I don't blame anyone for that. However, I suspect the delay in putting Tom to rest has dragged out the suffering for all close to him and added to the difficulties.

I echo the support for Gareth Batty. On a miserable night for Surrey, he led by example bowling well and encouaging all in the field. Again I attach no blame given the circumstances but disappointing that others couldn't rise to the occasion.

I'll put a few brief comments about the game itself on the t20 thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:57 am

Reports this morning that Ramprakash is to retire tomorrow. The announcement has been delayed until after the funeral for obvious reasons.

I suspect that working his way back into form in these current circumstances would have been very difficult for him, even if he is a different generation to Tom, RHB etc. So on balance the right decision, though its a shame that he didn't have one more innings left in him.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Reports this morning that Ramprakash is to retire tomorrow. The announcement has been delayed until after the funeral for obvious reasons.

I suspect that working his way back into form in these current circumstances would have been very difficult for him, even if he is a different generation to Tom, RHB etc. So on balance the right decision, though its a shame that he didn't have one more innings left in him.

With the desire for attention to be devoted to Tom Maynard's life and career, it's a shame a better lid hasn't been kept on this boiling Ramps pot. There have been suggestions of this on the wallpaper site for a couple of days.

If correct, where does this leave us from a cricketing perspective?

The top six for our last CC match (against Sussex at Horsham) was Roy, Ramps, Brain, Davies, Hyphen and Maynard.

It seems that of the above only Roy, Davies and Brain will be available for next week's CC match (against Lancs at Guildford); none of those are in the best of form, averaging 29, 26 and 17 respectively. Certainly a time for the available Pietersen to show his Surrey credentials. Burns will almost certainly also get an opportunity as might Ansari. Spriegel may get a rare squad call up but I'm not convinced he'll start. Wilson will be on duty with Ireland and so unavailable.

In view of the death of Maynard, the temporary unavailability of Wilson, the likely longer term unavailability of Hyphen, the subsequent return to England colours for Pietersen and the poor form of the rest, it is disappointing that it looks like Ramps will be lost to us now for ever. Yes, his CC form has been even worse than Brain's this season but his presence would give us another option and his experience might be valuable.

I've been very critical of Pietersen in the past - not as a batsman (he's a class act there even if sometimes frustrating) but for primarily putting his own interests first and not being a team player. Assuming the rumours are right about Ramps, the timing (mid season and when we need to consolidate following tragedy) irks me a little and makes me feel he too should be doing more for the team now than walking away.

In many ways, I accept that comparisons between Pietersen and Ramps from a Surrey perspective are totally inappropriate given Ramps' many years of loyal service and truly outstanding batting delivered with such regularity. However, I do still feel some disappointment and come back again to the timing of the apparent decision. The Corporal has consistently stated that Ramps should have gone of his own choosing at the end of last season. Even without the clearly unforeseen tragedy, I think it would have been better for everyone and particularly Ramps if he had followed the Corporal's advice then. That would then have allowed a fresher start for all. It now looks like we have to start fixing the roof which is showing more holes as the rain comes down harder.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:04 am

We will be severely weakened in the batting for the next CC match and with Batty as captain, we will have to play 5 bowlers. At this point, I can't really see us avoiding relegation, so it might be best to write this season off and just hope that the younger guys get experience and come back stronger in a year or two.

I'd expect to see a side of

J Roy
T Lancefield
Z De Bruyn
S Davies (wk)
R Burns
M Spriegel
G Batty (c)
M Kartik
J Lewis
S Meaker
J Dernbach

The batting looks weak, but there is still some potential there and with the bowling attack performing as well as it has done, I would not rule out winning a few matches and staying up.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 05 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

Remember Pietersen will be playing against Lancs, presumably in place of Lancefield in that line up, I don't hold out much hope for our batting!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

I also think Ansari will play at Guildford, probably at Spriegel's expense.

Not sure that Dernbach will be fit by then - Tremlett likely to get his frst CC game of the season.

That said, it still seems we're shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:57 pm

seems strange decision to make batty captain as his place isnt even assured in side...

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:04 pm

CF wrote:seems strange decision to make batty captain as his place isnt even assured in side...
are you sure about that cf

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:10 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
CF wrote:seems strange decision to make batty captain as his place isnt even assured in side...

Most of the Surrey boys here - including me - have had a good moan about Batty in the past. However, Adams rates him highly and, to be fair, Batty has been exemplary (to quote a poster from the wallpaper site) since taking on the captaincy.

Surrey 82-1 off 11.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

I think it was important that Surrey gave the temporary captain to an experienced cricketer - something which the Surrey squad is lacking. At another time (like a one-off injury) I guess they might well have followed the lead of Warwicks (Varun Chopra), Northants (Alex Wakely) and Yorks (Azeem Rafiq) in blooding a young stand-in. But in the current circumstance it would be wrong for a Roy or Davies to be burdened with captaincy.

In terms of oldens Surrey only really have de Bruyn and Batty. Batty is a solid choice.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:50 am

Shelsey93 wrote:I think it was important that Surrey gave the temporary captain to an experienced cricketer - something which the Surrey squad is lacking. ...In terms of oldens Surrey only really have de Bruyn and Batty. Batty is a solid choice.

Yes, definitely time for a Roundhead rather than a Cavalier. And in that respect Batty fits the bill - both literally and metaphorically. He's doing a good job in desperately difficult circumstances...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

jimbobgooner wrote:

of course im sure, otherwise i wouldnt have said it..

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

Shelsey93 wrote:

.... in the current circumstance it would be wrong for a Roy or Davies to be burdened with captaincy.

Carrot has previously dubbed me ''the Roy boy'' of this forum. That is probably correct. However, not even I would go so far as to suggest that Jason Roy is yet of captaincy material.

The Saturday before his death, Tom Maynard appeared on the Sky programme Cricket AM along with Stuart Meaker and young Jason. Tom tweeted: ''Got 2 Cricket AM to hear jason has to do the quiz! Should be interesting as he doesnt know all the players on our team''.

Surrey news/articles - Page 6 810156456 Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

IMO Batty is assured in t20, however i would have given De Bruyn the captaincy.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:42 pm

CF wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

of course im sure, otherwise i wouldnt have said it..
i know that but are you really sure

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

The Brain himself is in poor form with the bat....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:51 pm

It will soon be back to playing cc cricket as if we were still in April. Forecast max temperature for second day of the cc match against Lancs this week is 15c. Doh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:49 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:It will soon be back to playing cc cricket as if we were still in April. Forecast max temperature for second day of the cc match against Lancs this week is 15c. Surrey news/articles - Page 6 56390

Just as well the colts' mothers do a good line in hot drinks. They're behind the beer tent so you and Chichester might not have seen them, Corporal! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:54 am

Couple of decent knocks from KP for your boys after a shaky start in the FLT20.

Pretty brutal the other day against Sussex, though the D/L was perhaps slightly unfair to them. Nevertheless, huge hitting is still required to score 65 in 5 overs and he certainly provided that.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Couple of decent knocks from KP for your boys after a shaky start in the FLT20.

Pretty brutal the other day against Sussex, though the D/L was perhaps slightly unfair to them. Nevertheless, huge hitting is still required to score 65 in 5 overs and he certainly provided that.

Hi Fists - I fancy Pietersen to get a good score at Guildford this week (v Lancs). It's a small ground and should really suit him. I developed my man crush on Jason Roy there a couple of years ago when he walloped Essex seconds for 180 odd.

Squad for Guildford not yet announced although I expect both Rory Burns and Arun Harinath to be in it. Neither are playing in the 3 day second XI Championship fixture which started today at Kent.

Zafar Ansari also missing from the seconds' game which pretty much confirms his expected place with the first team. Gary Wilson is unavailable as he's in Ireland for a match against the Hounds if it ever stops raining!

Others playing at Kent and so very unlikely to have their immediate hopes of a first XI recall granted are Spriegel (unlucky), Linley (unlucky although expected), Lancefield (on the way out, I fear) and Jordan (''hurrah'' cry some of the Surrey boys!).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Sorry for raising any false hopes with my last post!

Jordan is in the 13 man squad for Guildford along with Linley. My guess is that they'll travel up tonight after day one of the seconds' Championship match at Kent and sit on the bench tomorrow!

Adams has confirmed that Harinath would have played but now misses out due to a thumb injury at the weekend.

Meanwhile, Surrey seconds are really in the sticky stuff on 33-8.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

Meanwhile, mixed fortunes for the seconds at Kent. A decent win yesterday in the 40 over Trophy game. Star of the show was Spriegs with 88 and 3 wickets. Good support from Jewell with 40 odd and a couple of economical wickets.

In the three day Championship match that began today, we were skittled for 78. Batting at number 10, Viscount top scored with 28! In reply, the hop pickers were 133-7 at stumps with the wickets generally shared around.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Hi Fists - I fancy Pietersen to get a good score at Guildford this week (v Lancs). It's a small ground and should really suit him.

Currently looking for the icon which says ''I'm a smug git''! Very Happy

More to follow on the ''Surrey v Lancs'' thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

George Dobell writing for Cricinfo says:

"Surrey are to embark on a recruitment drive following the loss of several key players, according to their director of cricket Chris Adams.

The club, reeling from the death of Tom Maynard, have also lost Mark Ramprakash to retirement and their captain, Rory Hamilton-Brown to a prolonged period of compassionate leave. No time frame has been put upon Hamilton-Brown's return, with the club admitting he may not play again this season.

That leaves them without three of their top six from the start of the season and, while Adams is keen to provide opportunities to the club's younger players, he also feels the club need to bring in more experienced players

"We will definitely be recruiting," Adams told ESPNcricinfo. "We were always going to be looking for an opening batsman and an overseas player, but now we will be looking for a middle-order batsman as well. We also need an infusion of leadership, so we may be looking at senior players.

"Most people wait to the off-season to rebuild, but we will start now. We have a very different group of players now. A month ago we had a team who had earned the right to have a bit of freedom with their preparation, that dynamic has changed. We have a young group, with less knowledge, and I've asked the coaching staff to take a more hands-on approach with them.

"We are more than fine with our seam bowling unit and we will be giving more opportunities to some of our young players. Zafar Ansari is a star of the future while Jason Roy has suddenly become a senior batsman. The likes of Tom Lancefield, Arun Harinath, Gary Wilson, Rory Burns and Matthew Spriegel will all have opportunities, too. There are a couple of other players - the likes of Chris Jordan - who need to show us what they can do over the next couple of months.

"We've been left in a state of rebuilding. And that rebuilding job starts now."

Adams' words will spread discomfort around the county circuit. Surrey's budget and ambition are more than a match for any competitor and, as has been shown in recent times, the richer clubs are now prepared to compensate counties for players who are in contracts elsewhere.

Adams dismissed the idea that Ramprakash might have been asked to postpone his retirement to provide some experience in a green-looking top-order. "We have been very fortunate to have seen the best of Mark Ramprakash at Surrey," Adams said. "I first saw him when I was 13 and I knew then that he was going to be a genius. But he has made his decision and I respect that. The time was right for him.""

Sounds like the writing is on the wall for River Jordan. As it were. Sounds as tho we are the look out for an old hack or two Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 14 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:George Dobell writing for Cricinfo says:

"Surrey are to embark on a recruitment drive following the loss of several key players, according to their director of cricket Chris Adams.

The club, reeling from the death of Tom Maynard, have also lost Mark Ramprakash to retirement and their captain, Rory Hamilton-Brown to a prolonged period of compassionate leave. No time frame has been put upon Hamilton-Brown's return, with the club admitting he may not play again this season.

That leaves them without three of their top six from the start of the season and, while Adams is keen to provide opportunities to the club's younger players, he also feels the club need to bring in more experienced players

"We will definitely be recruiting," Adams told ESPNcricinfo. "We were always going to be looking for an opening batsman and an overseas player, but now we will be looking for a middle-order batsman as well. We also need an infusion of leadership, so we may be looking at senior players.

"Most people wait to the off-season to rebuild, but we will start now. We have a very different group of players now. A month ago we had a team who had earned the right to have a bit of freedom with their preparation, that dynamic has changed. We have a young group, with less knowledge, and I've asked the coaching staff to take a more hands-on approach with them.

"We are more than fine with our seam bowling unit and we will be giving more opportunities to some of our young players. Zafar Ansari is a star of the future while Jason Roy has suddenly become a senior batsman. The likes of Tom Lancefield, Arun Harinath, Gary Wilson, Rory Burns and Matthew Spriegel will all have opportunities, too. There are a couple of other players - the likes of Chris Jordan - who need to show us what they can do over the next couple of months.

"We've been left in a state of rebuilding. And that rebuilding job starts now."

Adams' words will spread discomfort around the county circuit. Surrey's budget and ambition are more than a match for any competitor and, as has been shown in recent times, the richer clubs are now prepared to compensate counties for players who are in contracts elsewhere.

Adams dismissed the idea that Ramprakash might have been asked to postpone his retirement to provide some experience in a green-looking top-order. "We have been very fortunate to have seen the best of Mark Ramprakash at Surrey," Adams said. "I first saw him when I was 13 and I knew then that he was going to be a genius. But he has made his decision and I respect that. The time was right for him.""

Sounds like the writing is on the wall for River Jordan. As it were. Sounds as tho we are the look out for an old hack or two Shocked

You have been linked with Vikram Solanki, who Worcs are struggling to afford. Though I guess Adams might prefer a 32 year old to a 36 year old (?). I'd also suggest your overseas should probably be a batsman.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

Shelsey - do you know at all how the salary cap for counties works?

I'm asking you as you seem to have a good knowledge of the rulebook for most cricket related aspects. Smile

Although Surrey are a (comparatively) rich club, I know they can't just sign whoever they choose and pay them what they want. Interested to know more.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 14 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Shelsey - do you know at all how the salary cap for counties works?

I'm asking you as you seem to have a good knowledge of the rulebook for most cricket related aspects. Smile

Although Surrey are a (comparatively) rich club, I know they can't just sign whoever they choose and pay them what they want. Interested to know more.

Afraid that that is a gap in my knowledge. What I do know is that Surrey would be aided financially in that, unlike most counties, they pick many players eligible for the Performance Related Fee Payments (for U26s) in their First XI on merit.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 6:22 pm

Shelsey - thanks for the response anyway.

Just worth bearing in mind that if Surrey make several high profile signings, it will probably mean even more fringe players going out the door to keep under the salary ceiling imposed upon all counties.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:George Dobell writing for Cricinfo says: ...

Adams told ESPNcricinfo ...
We have a very different group of players now. A month ago we had a team who had earned the right to have a bit of freedom with their preparation, that dynamic has changed. We have a young group, with less knowledge, and I've asked the coaching staff to take a more hands-on approach with them.

Like others, the above really stood out for me.

I'll leave it at that and be thought a cynic rather than say something and confirm it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Jul 2012, 11:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
I'll leave it at that and be thought a cynic rather than say something and confirm it.

Guildford - yes that was something of a disturbing quote when you consider the age of some of the "experienced" players and the level of our performance in the cc..... Crying or Very sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

The Wallpaper site is not a happy place at the moment.

If Hyphen is out indefinitely it does seem likely that the pressure of the captaincy as well as loss of close friend really has been getting to him. Adams may have been cutting him too much slack before the recent tragedy - as suggested by the quote above - and this may have come back to haunt them both in different ways... The rest of the season really is going to be tough...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:The Wallpaper site is not a happy place at the moment.

Not much happiness on the pitch either at the moment. Mini report of today's debacle on the CB 40 thread.

Desperately looking for positives - Spriegel's performance and the positive attitude of the players in signing autographs and posing for photos with dozens of children immediately after the match when they must have been so hacked off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

There was a brief discussion about potential signings and the name of young Sam Northeast popped up. Out of contract in the summer, 22 but lots of experience, struggled for a couple of years but slowly improving again now, opens the batting - he ticks a lot of boxes.

I think we really could do with a batting coach if we don't already have one? Am I right in thinking Graham Thorpe was doing the job before he went to work with England?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 4:27 pm

Hi Carrot - as with many Surrey things, nothing is entirely clear.

When Thorpe came back to the Club, it was as batting coach. However, after an alleged falling out with Adams he was relegated to looking after the second XI (a job previously done by Salisbury who then stepped up to assistant coach of the firsts) and was largely doing that when he answered England's call.

I believe the coaching of the batting is now handled by Adams with support from current second team coach Ali Brown and Alec Stewart who appears willing to get his hands dirty despite his executive director title.

Don't know enough about Northeast but certainly worthy of further investigation. Much as I would like replacements to come from within, we need to be realistic and look elsewhere as well. Whilst one or two may be able to step up from the seconds, I'm far from convinced about the strength in depth of the remaining batting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

Northeast is good, but aside from that knock, he has had a poor season, and is being overhyped at the moment IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 5:10 pm

CF wrote:Northeast is good, but aside from that knock, he has had a poor season, and is being overhyped at the moment IMO.

I'd say he is improving and actually having a good season, after a couple of disappointing ones. But I think Surrey have a lot of that type of player, and would be better placed getting somebody more in their early 30s in.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 17 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

David Sales and Vikram Solanki are both very viable options I would say as both have been allowed to speak to other counties.

Shelsey - we have plenty of young middle order players but the fact Northeast is an opener puts him in a new category, we don't actually have any proper openers other than Harinath who has failed to break through.

CF - Northeast scored a bucket load of runs before turning out for the Kent 1st teams, his lack of big runs since then has been suggested to be due to some bad habits he picked up while doing so well at lower levels and these have taken a long time to iron out. Now, however, he appears to be on an upward curve. There is certainly something about him but as yet he hasn't prospered as he was expected to.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 17 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Carrot - as with many Surrey things, nothing is entirely clear.

When Thorpe came back to the Club, it was as batting coach. However, after an alleged falling out with Adams he was relegated to looking after the second XI (a job previously done by Salisbury who then stepped up to assistant coach of the firsts) and was largely doing that when he answered England's call.

I believe the coaching of the batting is now handled by Adams with support from current second team coach Ali Brown and Alec Stewart who appears willing to get his hands dirty despite his executive director title.

Don't know enough about Northeast but certainly worthy of further investigation. Much as I would like replacements to come from within, we need to be realistic and look elsewhere as well. Whilst one or two may be able to step up from the seconds, I'm far from convinced about the strength in depth of the remaining batting.

Thanks guildford, I would say from reading that we could do with a full time batting coach to try and sort out the obvious problems we have. Ramps anyone?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Carrotdude wrote:

Thanks guildford, I would say from reading that we could do with a full time batting coach to try and sort out the obvious problems we have. Ramps anyone?

No problem, Carrot.

Definitely agree we need someone working full time on such a vital aspect.

Much as I admired Ramps as a wonderful batsman, I'm not convinced he would be an effective coach although I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Too often in many sports great players fail to be a success as managers or caoches. Much of Ramps' success as a player was owed to his immense natural ability and self absorbed nature. I fear those assets as a batsman might actually prove a hindrance as a coach. This was discussed more about 3 weeks ago on the ''Flintoff launches stinging attack on Atherton'' thread.

Specifically as regards Ramps, I suspect he'll have more glamorous and lucrative irons in the fire than coaching. Also, would he want to work again with Adams?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

I agree with Guildford. I would be fairly surprised if he turned out to be an effective batting coach. I'm not at all convinced his personality is suited to that kind of role.

Again I would of course be pleased to be proved wrong - and I am sure he could have a lot more to contribute to cricket in other ways.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:51 pm

I agree with the both of you to be honest, it was more a point that our batting is awful and one of the best batsmen ever to grace the county circuit has just left the club!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

Reportedly Solanki has agreed to join Surrey on two year contract in 2013.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Reportedly Solanki has agreed to join Surrey on two year contract in 2013.

Yes, just seen on Espn CricInfo (and the wallpaper site). Can't argue with signing an experienced opener although I do wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. Anyway, lets hope it works out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

Does he even open in the 4 day stuff? Good signing on paper, shore up the middle order and hopefully fill the void left by Ramps, should add some more reliability to our one day batting too.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:04 am

Carrotdude wrote:Does he even open in the 4 day stuff? Good signing on paper, shore up the middle order and hopefully fill the void left by Ramps, should add some more reliability to our one day batting too.

Hi Carrot - I was again showing my age in referring to Solanki as an opener. I'm pretty sure he did for England for a short time in ODIs a while ago. However, he's not currently doing that job for Worcs in the CC. I suspect we might ask him to go in first though.

Just waiting now for Adams to say he'll be great in the dressing room. A bit of maturity there will be welcome after recent events. However, he still needs to deliver in the middle. As you say, good signing on paper - just hope he's still got the hunger and isn't past his sell by date.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:09 pm

Vikram bats at 3 for us in the CC, with Hughes opening, and then opens in CB40/T20 with Hughes at 3.

Very sad to see him go after 20 seasons here, but wish him all the best. His form hasn't been fantastic in CC this year, having said that he got an important 50 today.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Just waiting now for Adams to say he'll be great in the dressing room.
Guildford - have no fear, Solanki will be "immense in the dressing room" Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

According to Churchy, Hyphen had a net with the Surrey team at Trent Bridge before the start of play this morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next