The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selby vs Yafai

+4
6oldenbhoy
AlexHuckerby
Fists of Fury
Day V Lately
8 posters

Go down

Selby vs Yafai Empty Selby vs Yafai

Post by Day V Lately Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:32 pm

This one might be flying under the radar a little, but the dramatic improvements of Andrew Selby have given us an intriguing amateur match up.

Both fighters have lready gained the olympic qualifying standard, and as a result of Selby just missing out on gold at the worlds, we have a best of three scenario to see who fights in London at Flyweight.

A couple of years ago the experienced Yafai looked nailed on for the slot, and only injury prevented him being favourite for gold at Delhi, a tournanment that Selby lost in to the average Haroon Khan. Since the last year though the improvements Selby have made are quite incredible, winning the europeans and then getting silver at the worlds. In fact I expect him to go to London ahead of Yafai, but as they are having a box off against each other, we will have no doubt whoever goes will fully deserve it.

With further talents such as Campbell, Stalker, Edwards and other fighters such as Vallily I think this team will actually be stronger than the 8 man squad who did well in Beijing, lets hope we get to see this contest, theres been good amatuer action on box nation so far, so I'm hopeful.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Selby vs Yafai Empty Re: Selby vs Yafai

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

I always find 'box-offs' a little harsh, given that styles make fights and the boxer that is better suited to a multitude of styles may not end up going because his style didn't mix with the one he was up against, if you get my meaning.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

you wanna go you gotta win. harsh but thats the game.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

I put this in the boxing news subsection yesterday. I agree, it's Selby's to lose. He has excelled this year, out-performing Yafei whenever he has to. Looking at recent common opponents, both have lost to Aloyan of Russia in the past 18 months. However, Selby was unlucky to lose in the final of the Worlds, whereas Yafei lost by a more comfortable margin, albeit that fight was in Russia. Michael Conlon comfortably defeated Yafai in the Euros in June, whereas Selby nicked a one point decision win in Baku. Selby just looks the all round better fighter.

Edwards and Vallily are yet to qualify for the Olympics. Vallily will need to make the final in the last qualifying tournament to progress, which will be a tough order. Team GB may elect to send Warren Baister (sp) instead. Edwards has an easier task, as he will have to make the semi-finals, or lose to the eventual winner in the QF's to progress. I think Britain will do well to qualify seven men, possibly eight.

Agogo at middle needs to win the tournament to progress, and GB don't currently have a Podium squad Light Heavy.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:16 pm

i like agogo seems like a nice kid, would he be turning pro after olympics?

get a feeling he would be a strong pro.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

He'll be 27 or 28 at the next Olympics, so time wouldn't be on his side if he tried to turn pro after that. I don't rate him that highly. Always flatters to deceive in my eyes. I'd imagine he will turn pro if he fails to qualify for London, if he sees boxing as a serious career. Really nothing to wait for, bar the World Championships.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

blimey i didnt realise he was that old!
thought he was like 23!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

He is 22 or 23 now. I mean after the 2016 Olympics in Rio. if he fails to qualify for London, which is looking likely, then he will be that age if he decides to wait for the next games.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

Needless to say I have no interest in Team GB boxing or how they do at the Olympics but I hope Selby wins. Agree with Fists though 'box-offs' are harsh on the loser. Hopefully Selby will do well if he turns pro

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Steffan wrote:Needless to say I have no interest in Team GB boxing or how they do at the Olympics

That would require an interest in boxing, so that is unsurprising.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Steffan wrote:Needless to say I have no interest in Team GB boxing or how they do at the Olympics but I hope Selby wins. Agree with Fists though 'box-offs' are harsh on the loser. Hopefully Selby will do well if he turns pro

There is a distinct possibility of two Welsh guys competing and you have no interest in them? What about Dai Green or Christian Malcolm? It seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I bet the picture of Gareth Bale in the GB shirt sent shivers down your spine?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

i meant after the london games with agogo, do you reckon he will turn pro after or if he doesnt get in?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

Yes mate, said above I think he will if he sees boxing as a career. May wait until after the Olympics, there will be a buzz about any Olympians who turn pro, and he could well get in on the act.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:32 pm

Like 6oldenboy says, I'd expect all the olympians to turn pro, the olympics are a prestigious event in itself, but in reality it will also boost the pro contract getting offered, and if you medal, you can really cash in.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

I don't think they all will. If Charlie Edwards qualifies, I'd expect him to stay amateur after 2012. I also wouldn't be surprised if Campbell stays amateur. I think he'd find it hardest to adapt, stylewise, to the pro game. Similarly, depending on the medal outcome, someone like Fred Evans could stay amateur, and wait around for 2016.

Of the others, Joshua will most definately turn pro, and I have a feeling Stalker will. Possibly guys like Vallily as well. Stalker will be 28 and Vallily will be 27, and so it's the last chance to make decent money out of boxing.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

how far do you think joshua can make it in the pro game. (bearing in mind how poor the heavyweight division is?)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

I have no idea mate, I've only seen him fight three times. He obviously needs refined, but throws good straight shots, seems to have some power behind them as well. I do think he caught Cammarelle on a bad day, however he still had to beat him. With a good showing in London, and there will be a massive scramble to sign him.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

Audley v2!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

Stalker is turning pro regardless of the outcome, if the olympics werent in Britain, he would already be a pro from what I've heard.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

I think selby will win this but you never know. But after watching him down Sophia gardens earlier this year in the welsh finals footwork was awesome and handspeed was really good, think there be big things expected of him if/when he turns pro.

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

The pro's may be a tough nut to crack for Selby. The low weight classes garner very little interest from the casual fan in comparison to the higher weights. I know the Welsh will support him, but will he put bums on seats at other venues around the UK? Joe Murray was a World Amateur bronze medalist, and a 2008 Olympian, but receives next to no media coverage in comparison to Gavin, Degale or even Billy Joe Saunders.

Also at these weights you get Mexican and Asian fighters, who may not have the amateur pedigree of Selby, but have been in tough pro fights from the age of 18, 16 in some cases.

I truly hope he does well, but wonder if he will receive the same hype as Stalker or Joshua if they turn pro as well.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

As expected, Selby wins the first bout 26-12. Another win tomorrow see's him get the Olympic spot.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:13 pm

Come on Selby sort it out

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

He pretty much has it. I can't see Yafai being able to turn around a 14 point margin in the space of 24 hours. Yafai needs to force Selby to be the aggressor, and try and counter. Easier said than done though.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

Selby should of been in anyway

Even Robert McCracken (spit) said that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:The pro's may be a tough nut to crack for Selby. The low weight classes garner very little interest from the casual fan in comparison to the higher weights. I know the Welsh will support him, but will he put bums on seats at other venues around the UK? Joe Murray was a World Amateur bronze medalist, and a 2008 Olympian, but receives next to no media coverage in comparison to Gavin, Degale or even Billy Joe Saunders.

Also at these weights you get Mexican and Asian fighters, who may not have the amateur pedigree of Selby, but have been in tough pro fights from the age of 18, 16 in some cases.

I truly hope he does well, but wonder if he will receive the same hype as Stalker or Joshua if they turn pro as well.

You maybe right there a lot amateur boys seem to only get recognition from the way they turn out at the Olympics. Us welsh people do get behind our sports people as said mind. There's another one fighting tonight from my mates gym Lloyd in the 81kg weight I think. I am unsure who his opponent is mind?

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

The fly half sourcerer wrote:You maybe right there a lot amateur boys seem to only get recognition from the way they turn out at the Olympics. Us welsh people do get behind our sports people as said mind. There's another one fighting tonight from my mates gym Lloyd in the 81kg weight I think. I am unsure who his opponent is mind?

Another Welshman. Croeso. With a username like that I should of known Smile

Im Steffan and am also Welsh (although I keep it quiet for stealth reasons). If anyone gives you any grief around here just let me know and il sort it OK

My mate has gone to some boxing tonight not sure where though. Im off to the pub tonight but staying in tommorow for Big Macs return in his attempt to unify the Light-heavyweight division

Selby should finish the job as well and turn pro after the Olympics

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

Steffan wrote:
The fly half sourcerer wrote:You maybe right there a lot amateur boys seem to only get recognition from the way they turn out at the Olympics. Us welsh people do get behind our sports people as said mind. There's another one fighting tonight from my mates gym Lloyd in the 81kg weight I think. I am unsure who his opponent is mind?

Another Welshman. Croeso. With a username like that I should of known Smile

Im Steffan and am also Welsh (although I keep it quiet for stealth reasons). If anyone gives you any grief around here just let me know and il sort it OK

My mate has gone to some boxing tonight not sure where though. Im off to the pub tonight but staying in tommorow for Big Macs return in his attempt to unify the Light-heavyweight division

Selby should finish the job as well and turn pro after the Olympics

Thanks steffan, so far so good but can see most of it's banter on here. If your into your boxing there's some local pro fighting at aberdare sports centre next saturday £25 a ticket. my mate lance sheehans got his 2nd, Dorian darch heavyweight and Anthony trow middleweight from the same gym. Should be a good night.

I hope mac wins but am a bit worried for his safety after the knockouts he's suffered. In fairness his family have done a lot for boxing in the Swansea area.

I think selby will go on and win he's a good lad.

Have a pint for me fella!!

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

The fly half sourcerer wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:The pro's may be a tough nut to crack for Selby. The low weight classes garner very little interest from the casual fan in comparison to the higher weights. I know the Welsh will support him, but will he put bums on seats at other venues around the UK? Joe Murray was a World Amateur bronze medalist, and a 2008 Olympian, but receives next to no media coverage in comparison to Gavin, Degale or even Billy Joe Saunders.

You maybe right there a lot amateur boys seem to only get recognition from the way they turn out at the Olympics. Us welsh people do get behind our sports people as said mind. There's another one fighting tonight from my mates gym Lloyd in the 81kg weight I think. I am unsure who his opponent is mind?

Meant to post yesterday, but was too busy planning my trip to Poland an Ukraine after last nights epic win. Davies was defeated by Baister of the podium squad. Something along the lines of 28-10. Baister may now be selected at Heavy for the April's qualifier. Should be a good days action.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

Yafai somehow can't make the weight, even though he did yesterday. Andrew Selby will represent GB at next year's Olympics. I don't want to throw wild accusations around, but surely you have to question Yafai's heart on this one.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

Ive just heard the same as well, goldenboy it does make you wonder, if he's already made the weight. Confidence can play a major part.

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:24 pm

Hearing that Yafai injured himself yesterday and that hampered him making weight. If true, you have to feel for him. I have no idea where this leaves him. Should he turn pro, or wait for the 2016 games?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

How old is he? That will be key point if he is 24 then I would say now is the time to go pro. As he will be 28 come next Olympics. He seems to have been round a long time in the gb squad so I would expect him to go pro.

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

He is still only 22, so has plenty of time to decide. However, I'm not sure what there is left for him to achieve. Although he is ranked 4th in the world, which I personally think is misleading, he comes up short everytime in major championships. I'd say he is the third best Flyweight in the four nations, behind Selby and Conlon. I don't think he is ever going to reach the pinnacle of the amateur game, so turning pro may be the only option.

Anyone watching the GB championships? Steve Bunce is talking his usual rubbish.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

ha yeah you have to love buncey he doesnt half give it some!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

this taylor/adolphe fight is one of the best ive seen in the amateurs

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Bunce said that GB have the strongest squad in the world, bar the Russians. Ukraine were represented in five of the finals in Baku, so I can't say I agree. I don't think GB team is that much stronger than the Irish squad. Great scrap, but Taylor really should have won that. The other fella was awkward, but Taylor was the better boxer.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:this taylor/adolphe fight is one of the best ive seen in the amateurs

My mate boxes at the same gym as Josh Taylor Alex, sad to see him go out but was a good fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

yeah the heavyweight fight was good after aswell, just a straight war

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

They should bring back the four nations tournament. It would be beneficial to all involved. High quality competition, and it gives guys like Taylor and others on the fringes of the GB team a chance to stake a claim at being the number one. The fans would enjoy it as well.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down