The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would be the best set-up? Decent clubs or decent balls?

+5
SmithersJones
Maverick
super_realist
Doc
theeldestboy
9 posters

Go down

What's the best set-up?

What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Vote_lcap38%What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 3 ]
What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Vote_lcap62%What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 8

What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Empty What would be the best set-up? Decent clubs or decent balls?

Post by theeldestboy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

Hi all, long time no speak! Been busy moving home (within Dubai), changing jobs and, when time allows, playing the odd round of golf.

I was lucky enough to record my first hole in one about 6 weeks ago. Generally on short appoach shots, any backspin upon landing sends the ball backwards (obviously) and to the right. Therefore, i generally aim long left and hope for the best. Well, after many years of trying, i finally managed to flush one into the right spot, and then lady luck slowly rolled the ball into the cup. At the time, i didn't realise it had dropped. Yes, i knew it was close i you never imagined that i'd holed it. I was just pleased to have hit a decent shot and made my way off the tee box before my playing partner, casual as you like, said "i think that's gone in". I replied that i thought it was hidden by the flag or that we simply couldn't see it. My playing partner then hit his shot to about 8ft, and his ball was clear as a bell. Then the butterflies started circling in my stomach! I tentatively approached the green and, even though the ball was nowhere to be seen, i did take my putter onto the dancefloor, just in case. Sure enough, there was the ball, sitting at the back of the cup. Retrospectively, it was a shame that it wasn't one of those instant high-5 moments where you know it's gone in on the tee box, but i'll take it no matter how it comes. And best of all, it really was a good, well struck shot which got rewarded, rather than a lucky shot which somehow found it's way into the hole.

Anyway, here's a question that some golfing buddies and i were discussing the other day. It split opinion in our group, so let's see what you guys think. At first, your opinion may seem obvious, but after more thought and discussion perhaps you might change your mind.

So here's the question:

Would a solid golfer (say handicap 6-12) score better with:

Graphite-shafted, super-game improvement clubs and a top-range ball (say the Pro V1)

or

The clubs of their choice and a beaten-up, 2-piece range ball?

What say you? At first, i was of the opinion that it's the clubs that count, that control and comfort is everything. But control is really about he ball, isn't it? It's no good flushing your iron shot if the ball isn't able to do what you want it to. And holding greens from any kind of distance become a little more problematic. But then, if you have a decent ball but clubs that can't shape a shot or hit consistent distances, then you're equally screwed.

Thoughts?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Empty Re: What would be the best set-up? Decent clubs or decent balls?

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

I think any player with a 6-12 handicap using their own decent clubs, would easily score better using a crap ball. Yes the ball in question maybe old, scuffed and be too hard, or too soft, or generate too much or not enough spin than their usual ball. But I think a player in this category will know the ball is doing something not intended, and be able to adapt his game to allow for said ball.

Doc

Back to top Go down

What would be the best set-up?  Decent clubs or decent balls? Empty Re: What would be the best set-up? Decent clubs or decent balls?

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Most people probably already use a wholly inappropriate ball as it happens.

While the average handicap is about 16 I would say that most people feel inclined to use a premium 3 or 4 piece ball, where in fact their game might be better suited to a 2 piece ball ironically.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:23 am

Fair point Doc. Yes, a better playing is better equipped to adapt to the change, but the discussion that my mates andi had about the downsides of the rubbish ball focussed in the really short game area, where players of all abilities lose shots. Controlling a ball out of deep greenside rough with a decent ball is tough, as is pitching to a distance with a short wedge. Shots from 40 yards with a rock-hard ball are extremely difficult to control. We speculated that you'd lose a few more shots on putts purely because on average you're likely to be putting from greater distances.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

Would a solid golfer (say handicap 6-12) score better with:

Graphite-shafted, super-game improvement clubs and a top-range ball (say the Pro V1)

or

The clubs of their choice and a beaten-up, 2-piece range ball?

Thoughts any golfer will do better with custom fit to them specifically rather than just playing graphite shafter super game improvement clubs and a ball they feel comfortable with whether that be a Pinnacle Gold or Pro v one!!!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

super_realist wrote:Most people probably already use a wholly inappropriate ball as it happens.

While the average handicap is about 16 I would say that most people feel inclined to use a premium 3 or 4 piece ball, where in fact their game might be better suited to a 2 piece ball ironically.

probably, but choice of ball has more do with how you play than what your handicap. For example, my mate and i (9.1 and 6.3 handicap respectively) play our short games very differently, and accordingly our choice of ball differs. For example, take a pitch shot of 50 yards. For me, this is an area where i am slightly weak, so my aim is to hit the green - pitch to the a safe area and kill the ball dead. If i land 2 ft away, great. If i land 25 ft away, equally great. Whereas my mate, who is stronger, tends to scoot it in very low, allowing 50% carry and 50% roll. Higer risk, but higher reward. For me, ball choice is about how you play teh game, not how well you play the game.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

I see what you mean but if you don't have the technique, , swingspeed etc you won't get the full benefit of the ball, you'll just get a ball that you like the feel of, but might not necessarily be best for your game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

super_realist wrote:I see what you mean but if you don't have the technique, , swingspeed etc you won't get the full benefit of the ball, you'll just get a ball that you like the feel of, but might not necessarily be best for your game.

yes, you're right. I mean, it doesn't matter what ball you're using if you don't swing it well. A shanked Pro V1 is pretty much the same as a shanked Pinnacle Gold!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

Eldest, if you have a ball that works for a particular swing speed, say 80mph and it suits your game. A player with a swing speed of 100mph will see a big difference, and that same ball being hit by Bubba, would distort to such an extent that it would bobble in the air for a second, which would see a crazy trajectory, ballon, slice or fade. But a decent player would adapt his swing/technique accordingley

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

I agree that it's down to the individual and how they play. My regular pairs partner and I have almost identical handicaps, and hit it similar distances. However, round the greens he plays a chip and run with a pitching wedge from just about everywhere, whereas I'll use whichever of my wedges or short irons the shot dictates, and often I'll try to use spin to stop the ball close to the hole. As such, I tend to play premium balls whereas he's happy with 2 piece rocks.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

theeldestboy wrote:
my mate, who is stronger, tends to scoot it in very low, allowing 50% carry and 50% roll. Higer risk, but higher reward.

Interestingly, I would consider this approach as lower risk. Just shows how we all perceive risk differently!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

I'm with Ray on this i'd consider that lower risk

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
theeldestboy wrote:
my mate, who is stronger, tends to scoot it in very low, allowing 50% carry and 50% roll. Higer risk, but higher reward.

Interestingly, I would consider this approach as lower risk. Just shows how we all perceive risk differently!

You are probably right Ray, but everytime i try to scoot one in low i thin the bl00dy thing through the green! I hate to think how many time's i've been 15 yards short of the green, then 30 yards through it!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

No, I'm with eldest on this one, having played golf in Dubai myself. The courses tend to be heavily watered and quite lush to stop them burning up so I'd be inclined to throw the ball in high as well.

I'd definitely go the low route on a links course though!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

5 piece balls and white headed bats guarantee enhanced performance.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:04 pm

On balance, I'd go for the decent clubs with the pants ball. Only just though as I hate playing with rocks, more for the lack of feel than anything else.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Marcus wrote:5 piece balls and white headed bats guarantee enhanced performance.

Yep 100% right! If your a complete numpty and believe all TM spout as gospel that is!

Good clubs bad balls or crap clubs good balls its all pointless without practise

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

Maverick wrote:
Marcus wrote:5 piece balls and white headed bats guarantee enhanced performance.

Yep 100% right! If your a complete numpty and believe all TM spout as gospel that is!

Good clubs bad balls or crap clubs good balls its all pointless without practise

Laugh

Fortunately I despise TM and all they stand for. In fact, the only TM bat I have ever owned is one of the original TM Burner 3 woods (with the dimples around the heel). I think I still have it somewhere actually.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down