The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Night Champion

+7
gab
man_utd9
Liam_Main
The Galveston Giant
Cheikitout
Imperial Ghosty
BALTIMORA
11 posters

Go down

Fight Night Champion Empty Fight Night Champion

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Bought the game yesterday, and while initially wary of the changes (I thought FNR4 was excellent for the most part), first impressions are good. Very good. There are a few glaring omissions, as well as a few baffling inclusions. Daniel Jacobs I can only assume was selected for inclusion prior to his being demolished by Pirog, and because he is American, and Kevin Kelley yet no Naz is equally confusing.

Oscar's overall stats have been improved, and Haye is interestingly given a higher overall rating than either Klitbot, who in turn have had their scores reduced from those in FNR4.

Anyway, while I apologise that this isn't a 'pure' boxing thread, I'm curious of what you make of the game. If anyone has the game and fancies a spot on fisticuffs over Xbox Live, by all means drop me your gamertag either on here or as a PM.

Cheers.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Fight Night Champion Empty Re: Fight Night Champion

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Planning on getting the game as soon as I can but cash flow problems are making it difficult. PM me your gamertag Balti

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:44 pm

I traded in FNR4 (among other things) against it so I hope it doesn't disappoint. Seems a bit quicker, and stringing combos together seems easier, and well-implemented. Not overly fussed about the story mode, partly because it's cheesier than...well, something very cheesy. Quite impressed that they've roped in Brian Kenney to do a few faux news spots though. Little touches like that are kinda cool, but at the same time I could happily strangle Teddy Atlas for his godawful dialogue, some of which is annoyingly lifted straight from FNR4.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 pm

is it worth getting? fn rd4 was good but iv heard this is a bit more of an arcade button masher type game

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 pm

At first I wasn't sure I'd like the new punch controls, but it is definitely better for executing quick combos and flurries. They've also implemented a better KO system-there's now the possibility of pulling off a KO without having to knock your opponent down several times first. Unfortunately this applies both ways. There's a demo out on the Xbox marketplace, and presumably also on PSN.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:16 pm

cool on fn rd 4 though u could knock an opponent out with a perfectly timed counter i rember scoring a first round KO with calzaghe against jones jnr Smile

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Let me know what you guys think of Isaac Frost on Champion Mode, the guys a nightmare to beat
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Will do GG. I'm only about four fights in so far. Some guy with camo shorts I think.

Cheikitout-I never managed that but I do like the fact that it's better implemented this time around. Now when you spark a guy badly the ref just kneels over him and waves the fight off without even bothering to count. The impacts from big blows look better too, with the flesh rippling away from the point of contact. Still got a lot to check out though-so far I've only had a couple of matches in Fight Now mode, and had my bum handed to me as Haye, by Wlad. Not an ill omen I hope!!!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Very good game,im hooked on it stuck on the last part fighting Isaac Frost every time I see to go in for a punch he seems to knock me down.I've survived the first two rounds bit but stuck on the next but anyway good game fighters fight more realistic now compared to FNR4 and the faces look exactly the same to the fighters.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:56 pm

liam_main4 wrote:Very good game,im hooked on it stuck on the last part fighting Isaac Frost every time I see to go in for a punch he seems to knock me down.I've survived the first two rounds bit but stuck on the next but anyway good game fighters fight more realistic now compared to FNR4 and the faces look exactly the same to the fighters.

Try running for round three aswell and landing your body shots in rounds 4 & 5. Go in for quick combos untill your stamina goes down, put your guard up as you come back out again to recover, and go back in for some more but just take your time getting them, whatever you do don't mix it up with him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Ill try that thanks
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm still in two minds over the story mode, but I suppose it serves the purpose of providing a tutorial with a bit of a difference.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:03 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:I'm still in two minds over the story mode, but I suppose it serves the purpose of providing a tutorial with a bit of a difference.

Wait till you get to Frost Baltimora you'll want to put your fist through the tv , wasn't sure about it at first myself but i suppose it's only an extra bit to the game

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm

I've heard him mentioned a few times now. The first guy annoyed the living urine out of me, so I can only imagine how much worse Frost will be. Am I mistaken or has Gatti been removed from the roster now?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:I've heard him mentioned a few times now. The first guy annoyed the living urine out of me, so I can only imagine how much worse Frost will be. Am I mistaken or has Gatti been removed from the roster now?

He's not there Baltimora, you could get the young George Foreman if pre ordered from Play. They may bring out downloadable boxers soon though. Not sure what needs to be done to feature a boxer in the game.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Bit of a bummer, that is. I was gonna pre-order from Play to get young George, but ended up trading stuff at Gamestation instead. I figure they'll hopefully make George available after a period of exclusivity. Bit disappointed to see the heavy U.S. bias with Jacobs in there but no Martinez, Pirog, Khan, Froch, JMM, to name but a few. I know concessions have to be made, but you wouldn't expect to buy FIFA and then have to shell out for teams because some weren't included in the retail release, yet it's somehow ok for boxing!?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by man_utd9 Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:26 pm

im going to but it next saturday Smile

man_utd9

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Bit of a bummer, that is. I was gonna pre-order from Play to get young George, but ended up trading stuff at Gamestation instead. I figure they'll hopefully make George available after a period of exclusivity. Bit disappointed to see the heavy U.S. bias with Jacobs in there but no Martinez, Pirog, Khan, Froch, JMM, to name but a few. I know concessions have to be made, but you wouldn't expect to buy FIFA and then have to shell out for teams because some weren't included in the retail release, yet it's somehow ok for boxing!?

Yeah i reckon young George will be available to download soon Baltimora, some champion mode fighters are tied down to some crazy Dr Pepper promotion, but if Dr Pepper is your thing then your laughing. Its true what you say though, not half as much effort goes into securing licenses etc for Fight Night as does Fifa. Hopefully some of the more obvious names that have been left out will become available to download. There's definitely a few weird choices in the roster.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 am

Ortiz, Jacobs, Holt, Kelley, Arreola, Tommy Morrison (AGAIN?!?) all spring to mind, GG. Take away those guys and replace them with any from Khan, Maidana, Naz, Holmes, Marciano, Spinks, JMM, Louis...have they left out Morales and Barrera too? Bloody Hell, it's a weird list. I mean, even Barry Mcguigan is a HOF-er isn't he? But no. Instead we have Pavlik, but not the guy who beat him last.

Methinks EA are gonna squeeze us for a bit more cash yet. I've heard that developers are aiming to release DLC more now as a way to increase revenue, due to lost profits from the second-hand market.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 am

Shame about the second hand market Baltimora, i bought Fifa 11 second hand ( which now has a nice big laser burn ) but by the time i bought the license to play online i would have been just aswell to have bought it new.

The mexicans haven't been given credit in this game with no Barrera or Morales which is strange but annoyingly have given us Chavez in two weight divisions.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 am

That online license is the main way developers are trying to make up for lost profits. Either buy the game new, or you have to pay about six or seven quid for the code online. Bit of a jip really.

Back on the subject of the roster, and if you work through the weight divisions there's a significant chunk of the belt holders missing, even if you account for recent title holders (like Alvarez). None of the cruisers, no Pascal, no Cloud, no Braehmer, none of the 168lb guys, no Martinez, Pirog...hell, if you start to take into account guys who were still looking decent (that is, they hadn't been recently beaten) when the game would have still been under development you have Paul Williams, Yuri Foreman too.

No Soto, no Montiel (I think), no Vasquez or Rafael Marquez, no Maidana, no Alexander, no Katsidis, no...well, there are a lot. Insane really, when you think that the roster we DO have is bigger than in previous installments.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:06 am

traded in fnr4 and few others for this on friday have spent weekend trying to get to grips with it and getting owned online Smile
still not 100% convinced its an improvment on round 4 game play wise but enjoying story mode in processe of getting koed by frost (damn he hits hard)
any1 fancy a game on xbox my tag is gabshunt feel free to come knock me over a few times:)

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Isaac Frost is an absolute nightmare - but when you get to the 8th round you get to go Balboa on his a$$ a la Ivan Drago!

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

I feel that the Legacy Mode has been greatly improved since 4, the training games don't seem impossible anymore, I like the bonus XP challenges for each fight, and although I'm not far enough, think it's interesting that you can eventually take part in events to promote your fight. Champion Mode is an interesting distraction as well, although I'm only at the broken hand fight it does lay it on a bit thick with the cliches but still fun. Trying to get us to fork out, even though it is only 79p per boxer, for the Champion Mode fighters for Fight Now is a joke though.

I'm glad I'm not the only bothered by the roster. Timothy Bradley, but no Khan, Maidana or Alexander? No Nas. Bantamweight is a joke again as well, only Donaire! I'm not sure how they pick the rosters for these games, but to leave out so many present day favourites for people like Tommy Morrison and Chris Arreola is just baffling.

The ratings have me a bit confused as well, especially the Klitschkos being rated slightly less than Haye. Good to have Haye in it though!

Lastly, am I the only person struggling with the new blocking system? I seem to have my guard up but still manage to get caught with punches regularly. Is there something I'm missing with this?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:50 pm

007 - if you combine the blocking with movement (flicking up/down with left analogue stick) when your opponent throws a punch you should have more joy.

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Cheers I'll give that a shot.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Does it have the stupid thing of having to pay to download boxers for a game you've already bought?

Also, are there more fighters from the past? The last one had Calzaghe and Roy Jones as the best light heavies. No Moore, Charles, Spinks, Foster. No Joe Louis or Larry Holmes at heavy and only guys in one of their weight classes. Why only have Welter Leonard if he's gonna be on the game in the first place?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

At 175 there's only Jones Jr, Hopkins, Calzaghe and Dawson. None of those you mention, not even Pascal! It's frustrating because the roster IS better in some ways (Bradley, Haye) but still criminally lacking in others (still lacking old-timers and very few current champs). To have Dawson and Jacobs in there demonstrates where the developers' focus lay, ie the U.S. market.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm

And presumably given the omissions and the complaints this'll raise, no doubt EA will take advantage and release more fighters at a price in the future.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

For those who have it

Do you flash knockdowns in the fights?

And is it possible to get battered almost every round and turn it around and KO your opponent with one big shot (Julian Jackson style)?

Do these happen often ??

Cheers

Rodders.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Rodney wrote:For those who have it

Do you flash knockdowns in the fights?

And is it possible to get battered almost every round and turn it around and KO your opponent with one big shot (Julian Jackson style)?

Do these happen often ??

Cheers

Rodders.

There are flash knockdowns rodney and they can come at anytime although obviously not as much if your stamina is drained, one punch can finish a fight with no count, it will depend on the power of the boxer whether you knock the opponent out with one punch or stun him and try and jump on him. One punch can definitley change the fight for you.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks very much Galveston Giant,

In two minds whether to purchase at this stage

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Download the demo if you get a chance Rodders. Choice of Ali & Tyson and Pacquiao & Cotto, three rounds.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down