The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 players to start franchise with

+11
GurTPL
Toby3695
BamBam
Pr4wn
Thomond
Barney92
TheBrownTown
Derbyblue
Leedscowboys
crazy_dave23
Colan (niner)
15 posters

Go down

6 players to start franchise with Empty 6 players to start franchise with

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 pm

If you could have any six players to start a franchise with, who would they be and why?

For me:

1. Aaron Rodgers-pretty easy selection, great arm and has the athletic ability that I like qb's to have
2. Joe Thomas, some may say jake long is the best lt but i think thomas has such great footwork that he is rarely made to look silly
3. A.D-The best r.b in the league, I know experts say rb's are easy to find, but not ones as stong and fast as this
4. Patrick Willis- The elite mlb in the league
5-Jared Allen- Never gets tired and is heading towards a sack record on a team in poor form if he stays consistent.
6- Darrelle Revis- Up until recently, I may have said nnamdi but not anymore, this guy is a playmaker and takes away opposing playmakers.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

6 players to start franchise with Empty Re: 6 players to start franchise with

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Nice Topic idea

Aaron Rodgers - Standard
LeSean McCoy - Elusive runner and a great pass catcher. Perhaps fits more into the modern "mould" than AP does, even though AP is clearly the better between the tackles runner.
Dez Bryant - Can be a bit immature at times, but the guy is a beast and will go onto to do great things in this league. Good physical presence on the outside, but also has some speed for Rodgers to work the deep ball.
Jimmy Graham - The final piece of the offensive puzzle is the athletic tight end come receiver. Picked him over Finley because they are similar physically and run the same kind of routes, but Graham doesn't have the niggling injury history. The OL is clearly important but with Rodgers quick release and these three guys, its becomes less of a priority.
Ndamukong Suh - Issues about his conduct aside, this guy wreaks havoc both in terms of run stopping, but also getting pressure on the opposing QB. Something that is tough to do from the middle of the D-Line.
DeMeco Ryans - Plays for the Texans, so is automatically underrated. Solid MLB who I personally like. Avoids me copying Niner and putting in Patrick Willis!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:26 pm

QB Aaron Rodgers, Gunslinger but with a very accurate pass.
OT Jake Long, gonna need to protect the QB, and franchise.
RB AP, an everydown RB who can run and catch, an exceptional strong runner.
DT Suh, a dominant DL player who can play DT/NT agressive with a huge motor
OLB DeMarcus Ware, Premier Pass rusher, sack monster
CB Darrelle REvis, shut down corner can keep the best WR quiet all day
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:21 pm

QB- Aaron Rodgers, one of the best in the league and still plenty of years left in his career.
RB- Adrian Peterson, the best RB in the league.
WR- Calvin Johnson, he had a pro bowl year with Shaun Hill throwing to him for most the season, imagine what he could with Rodgers.
OT- Joe Thomas, not just because it's the only way to get a Browns player in, but also he comes up against some of the league's best defenses regularly (and thanks to the rest of the Browns some of the worst) and is able to keep his guy quiet all game, 4 seasons 4 pro bowls.
DT- Ndamukong Suh, he may be getting a bad reputation for some of his actions but he's good at his job and still plenty of time to get even better.
CB- Darrelle Revis, can shut down the elite wide receivers and keep them quiet all day.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Aaron Rodgers - Best QB in the league with plenty of time left
Calvin Johnson - Easy choice, best WR in the league and only 25
Jake Long - Great LT who will keep Aaron Rodgers upright
Ndamokung Suh - A beast and only 24
Terrell Suggs - Awesome at rushing the passer and stopping the run, he can do it all
Darrelle Revis - Opposing offenses can say goodbye to their No. 1 WR when they face Revis

I decided not to include a RB because RBs are quite easy to find and their careers do not last as long.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Sorry, forgot to put why.
Rodgers- one of thebest in the league and also quite young.
Johnson- can't even imagine the damage he could do with Rodgers.
Thomas- the best at protecting the quarterback
Willis- best mlb for me, so solid
Matthews- looks like it will be his first season without double digits sacks, yet he is still terrorizing offenses.
Suh- bit of an issue with his new image, but he's a tremdenous player and extremely young.

Near misses were Adrian Peterson, Revis, Berry (if he hadn't gotten injured), Ware (including him would give probably the best linebacer group available) and Jared Allen.

Last edited by Derbyblue on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added near misses from your first post so that I can remove the other post.)

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Been asking this on twitter and so far these have been put forward:
From one of the Pulling Linemen: Rodgers, Revis, Clady, Willis, Suh, Megatron.
Nat Coombs: Ryan, Megatron, All Day, Suh, Eric Berry, Willis.
@nflukhank: I'd go Rodgers, Megatron, Jake Long, Suh, Willis, Revis.
Kevin Cadle: Peyton, Adrian, Saturday, Lewis, Revis, Jared Allen.
suh, revis, megatron, rice, pierre paul, newton.
Rogers, Peterson, Megatron, Ware, Revis, Mangold. Have ignored salary cap issues! Wink.

Good idea for a thread niner, keeping me busy on twitter. Smile

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Derby go give Warren Sapp a tweet. @Qbkilla Somehow I don't think Suh will make his team.....

Rodgers, Megatron, Clayborne, Revis, AD, Willis,

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Thomond wrote:Derby go give Warren Sapp a tweet. @Qbkilla Somehow I don't think Suh will make his team.....
I have done, don't expect a reply from him though he's ignored the tweets from me and Pr4wn previously. I think he actually likes Suh as a player he just wants him to let his play on the field do the talking.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm

1. Aaron Rodgers - accurate, a leader and a gentleman!

2. A.D. - the best running back in the league by a stretch. Can't believe some people were saying CJ was better...

3. Donald Penn - The most underrated LT in the league. He was undrafted and picked up by the Bucs on waivers. He just keeps getting better.

4. Calvin Johnson - Any franchise starting out needs a receiver that can go up there and get it. Johnson offers this.

5. DeMarcus Ware - Quite simply the best defensive player in football.

6. Darelle Revis - Shut down corner who is making a lot more plays this year.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Donald Penn is probably the best tackle in football. The Bucs O-line has been very good this year. He went up against Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney and John Abraham and only gave away one sack.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:28 pm

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Joe Thomas
3. Julius Peppers/DeMarcus Ware - Depending on 4-3/3-4 defence and I am not taking age into account
4. Patrick Willis
5. Calvin Johnson
6. Darrelle Revis

Hardest decision for me was whether to have a dominant receiver or a top class running back, figure with Rodgers and Calvin you could plug in most running backs in the league and do well

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby3695 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:11 pm

You're gunna think i'm crazy here, but:

1. Aaron Rodgers (obvious choice)

2. Tom Brady (still has years in him, born leader, can run any offense you
want)

3. Cam Newton (QB is most important, as is getting fans into your new stadium. If we're really considering building a NEW franchise, you need a face.)

4. DeMarcus Ware (just awesome. You need to get pressure and he;s the best in the business. Not even 30 and has enough strength to still be effective when his speed starts to go. Also he can play in space unlike a lot of other great pass rushers)

5. Darrelle Revis (you have to cover and he's the best at it)

6. AJ Green (Young, athletic and just unbelieveable at the minute. Calvin is amazing and on fire but injury prone.)

NB: No running back or middle linebacker made this list because, while the great ones are fantastic (AP/Willis) a good one is easy to find. A good QB, pass rusher, deep threat and corner are much harder to pin down.

See more of my NFL musings at: pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Toby3695

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:58 pm

3 QB's.... your right that I think you crazy... your starting a franchise with two benchwarmers (albeit very decent ones)

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Who do you all think are underated players or emerging rookie players who will soon be in the spotlight and in a nfl top 100 list etc. Eric berry will be elite, im not a kc fan but that didn't stop me getting his jersey last year. Louis Delmas is another safety who will be very good. Ive got to hype up the niners and anthony davis and iupati are two of the best upcoming o-lineman, davis is still improving but iupati is amazing. I also think carlos rogers and Justin smith are underated, smith is the best 3-4 end in the nfl. George Wilson of the bills does not get enough recognition i think. Jason mcourty seems like a talent too, i forgot about dareus and aldon smith, both will soon be in the top 5 or 6 in their respective roles soon. Williams of the bills is underated too as is laurinitis, ike taylor, flowers and stanford routt who i feel is really good.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Thomond wrote:Donald Penn is probably the best tackle in football. The Bucs O-line has been very good this year. He went up against Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney and John Abraham and only gave away one sack.

Woah woah woah, I'm a huge Bucs fan but best tackle in football? I wouldn't agree on that. The dude's a beast, and I'd agree he's top 5 as a pass protector. He is a Pro Bowl-calibre LT... but he's not All-Pro standard, yet, because of his run blocking. Not that I'm saying he's a bad run blocker, nothing like it. He's good, but he needs to be great at it to be considered a complete tackle, IMO.

Anyway, my six players - and looks like I'll be breaking from the trend...

Offense:

Megatron - The dude's an utter, utter beast. He's ridiculously fast, ridiculously strong, and he can out reach any DB in the league. You don't need to throw accurately to complete passes to Calvin - just make sure the throw's high and he WILL come down with it. IMO he's making Stafford look better than he actually is, and could do the same for any quarterback with an above-average arm.

LeGarrette Blount - Homer pick? Probably. But the dude can just control games, either through explosiveness on the ground (think second half of the Minny game this year), or by grinding out yard after yard with three defenders hanging off him in the fourth to keep the clock running down (a la the Falcons game).

Between him and Megatron, there's isn't as much of a need to nab a specific QB - Megatron will catch anything thrown at him, and Blount will control the ground game... so only picking two offensive players.

Defense:

(Personally, I prefer 4-3 defenses, but I'm going with 3-4 for this)

Patrick Willis - A ridiculous specimen of a football player. He can rack up the sacks (getting a career-high 6.0 last year), he's a sure tackler and a big hitter, and if you're starting a franchise with Willis as your Mike, he will be your leader on defense for the next decade.

Haloti Ngata - to be a great 3-4 defense, you need someone on the front line who can take on multiple blocks from the O-line, plug up running lanes, force offensive coordinators to scheme for you - opening hope holes for the rest of your defense - and still be able to make the play. Ngata can do that better than arguably anyone else in the league, and combined with Willis and my next choice, would tear holes in blocking schemes all seasons long.

Brian Orakpo - just when OCs were struggling enough trying to find a way to block both Willis and Ngata, off the edge comes Orakpo. Despite playing in a 4-3 scheme in his first season, and a 3-4 scheme with barely any 3-4 personnel in his second, Orakpo's still managed to get 24 sacks through his first 38 games. He's undoubtedly one of the premier young passrushers in the NFL.

Darrelle Revis - I probably don't need to give any justification for picking Revis... but I'll give you one anyway, a single stat that sums up just how elite a football player he is. What is the average passer rating for quarterbacks when throwing to where Revis is in coverage (according to Pro Football Focus)?
TWO POINT TWO PASSER RATING WHEN THROWING AT REVIS. Just... wow.

Anyway, yeah, I think that'd set up any brand new franchise well for at least a good 5-7 years (and probably 10+ if you discount Blount, what with running backs being running backs and all).

P.S. Toby, you whore.

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:26 pm

forgot about navorro bowman, easily best mlb in nfl right now

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by RDuncan8 Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Tebow... that's all you need Wink

RDuncan8

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:42 pm

RDuncan8 wrote:
Tebow... bringing you closer to Andrew Luck every week Wink

fixed :P

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Thomond wrote:Donald Penn is probably the best tackle in football. The Bucs O-line has been very good this year. He went up against Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney and John Abraham and only gave away one sack.
How about no!
Sorry but he’s not even close to that level. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jordan Gross…the list goes on.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Toby3695 wrote:You're gunna think i'm crazy here, but:
want)
3. Cam Newton (QB is most important, as is getting fans into your new stadium. If we're really considering building a NEW franchise, you need a face.)
You're right I think you're crazy, why would the franchise need 3 star quarterbacks? Wouldn't that create issues off the field, and why are Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady not entrusted with being the face of the franchise?

GurTPL wrote:
RDuncan8 wrote:Tebow... bringing you closer to Andrew Luck every week Wink
Fixed :P
Laugh

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby3695 Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 am

Derbyblue wrote:
Toby3695 wrote:You're gunna think i'm crazy here, but:
want)
You're right I think you're crazy, why would the franchise need 3 star quarterbacks? Wouldn't that create issues off the field, and why are Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady not entrusted with being the face of the franchise?

Apologies, took it as "Who are your top 6 guys with whom to start a franchise" not that you get all 6 Sorry

If i'm getting all 6 then i'm taking:

Rodgers, Ware, Revis, AJ Green, Eric Berry and Jake Long.

Toby3695

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Mike Carlson picks his six: Joe Thomas, Suh, Calvin, DeMarcus Ware, Revis, Rex Grossman. Jes kidding': Aaron Rodgers (or Brady if just for the next year)

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:28 pm

classic mike carlson taking Sexy Rexy

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Another two from twitter:
Jeff Owens: AP, Payton when he is healthy, Reeves, Hoita, Calvin Johnson, Mayo
LeSean McCoy, Cam Newton, Ndamukong Suh, Jimmy Graham, Brian Urlacher, Chad Ochocinco

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm

who is the second one by... Chad 85!

Also trying to figure out who Reeves is... presumably Revis and Hoita is Ngata?

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:07 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:who is the second one by... Chad 85!
A guy called @reservoirzombie he retweeted Nat Coombs' reply to the question and then posted his own. I did ask him why would you start one with Ochocinco and he said "I think an offense built with Ochocinco in mind would have potential. My franchise also encourages entertaining players Smile".

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 am

twelve283 wrote:
How about no!
Sorry but he’s not even close to that level. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jordan Gross…the list goes on.

Andrew Whitworth? Please...

Just watch Penn. Yeah, it's a homer pick for me because I'm a Bucs fan, but the guy is elite, better than Ryan Clady these days. The only sacks he gives up are on plays where he chops down on his defender and Freeman throws the ball on a quick slant. Freeman then holds onto it because he's an idiot and gets sacked.

His potential is through the roof. He was undrafted and only got his first start a few years ago.

Jake Long is also the most overrated LT in the league. He's flat out sucked when I've seen him play this season.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby3695 Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:47 am

Long is fantastic, but playing hurt. Jordon Gross is fab and Joe Thomas is the best of all. (Pats fan just so you don't accuse me of bias :P)

Toby3695

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Whitworth is a stud, one of the best in the league.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:07 pm

for those picking Aaron Rodgers and Megatron.

Both obviously the best players in their position, but wouldn't it be a waste to use one of your 6 on somebody like Megatron when Rodgers obviously doesn't need such an elite mismatch at WR. Same the other way round as well. I'd personally take one or the other, not both. just my two cents Smile

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I understand where you are coming from there El Capitan, but the damage they could do together is frightening. Johnson is playing ridiculously well with Stafford at qb. With Rodgers he might, and probably would do even better. Jennings is currently his best wr but Johnson is at another level.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 pm

yeah I know. was just picking apart a few choices OK

i'd go for

QB Rodgers
RB Peterson
LT Joe Thomas
DT Suh
LB Ware
CB Revis

last year i'd have Clay Matthews in there for Ware but otherwise it'd probably have been the same.

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm

I understand the point of you don't need an elite WR if you've got an elite QB and vice versa, it's just the idea of Rodgers and Johnson as a partnership I couldn't ignore. GurTPL is the only one so far to decide against starting his franchise with an elite QB.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
Andrew Whitworth? Please...
Andrew Whitworth has been one of the top tackles for the last couple of years.

Pr4wn wrote:Just watch Penn. Yeah, it's a homer pick for me because I'm a Bucs fan, but the guy is elite, better than Ryan Clady these days. The only sacks he gives up are on plays where he chops down on his defender and Freeman throws the ball on a quick slant. Freeman then holds onto it because he's an idiot and gets sacked.
Wait, watch the player before making a comment on him? No that's crazy talk. Rolling Eyes Penn might very well be having a good start to the year and I have no problem taking your word on that, you will have watched him play a lot more than me this season. Performing well through 8 games of a season does not mean he is a more talented tackle than the guys I mentioned though. Lets see him carry that on consistently for a few seasons like the guys I listed before we anoint him as the best tackle in football.

Pr4wn wrote:Jake Long is also the most overrated LT in the league. He's flat out sucked when I've seen him play this season.
Doh He's not played up to his usual very high standards but most overrated tackle in football, dude, that's facepalm worthy.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Derbyblue wrote:GurTPL is the only one so far to decide against starting his franchise with an elite QB.

like a boss Cool

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Penn has been playing well for the past 2 seasons. He got to the pro bowl last year. From what I know he has given up 2 sacks all year( could be more or less difficult to find stats). Playing against Peppers,Abraham,Freeney and Allen. The team as a whole has given up 11. He is one of the best in the league right now.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Again, I think he's def up there in pass-pro, but he needs to step up in the run game to be considered an elite tackle, no matter how much of a 'passing league' the NFL is at the moment (especially when, IMO, Blount's been more important to our O this season than Freeman's been)

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down