The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps v Saints match debate

+3
doctor_grey
HammerofThunor
Portnoy
7 posters

Go down

Wasps v Saints match debate Empty Wasps v Saints match debate

Post by Portnoy Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Shockingly no Wasps nor Saints fan has embarked on a discussion.

Why?

Anyway a traditional English game...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Wasps v Saints match debate Empty Re: Wasps v Saints match debate

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Good game so far for Wade. Nice to see the worries about his size haven't amounted to much from what I've seen

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 06 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

After the RWC, you'd have thought that the back foot law may have filtered down to the senior domestic leagues. Shocked
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Just got back from the match.
Wasps look like it is going to be a long season. Something is clearly missing.
Saints rounding into form. They are going to be dangerous.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

Although a Saints fan it wasn't shown over here so only got the BBC website to go on. Glad the Saints won but not feeling overly confident going tino the game against Munster next weekend.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 06 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Wasp look very poor today with out their big stars. but Saints, well they played well and at times played the Ref well, has well.

Wade looked like he could be very dangerous if he is given half a chance. Varndell seemed to be a little unsure if he should run the ball or kick it away.

Still a good game that could of been better if the Ref had not missed a couple of forward passes.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Wasp look very poor today with out their big stars. but Saints, well they played well and at times played the Ref well, has well.

Wade looked like he could be very dangerous if he is given half a chance. Varndell seemed to be a little unsure if he should run the ball or kick it away.

Still a good game that could of been better if the Ref had not missed a couple of forward passes.
Or actually refereed the breakdown? Thought he was equally poor for both. Though the forward passes were pretty obvious, at least two right in front of the touch judges. But Saints were dominating for the last 70 minutes. Two tries scored, one for each Prop. Not too bad.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

B91212 wrote:Although a Saints fan it wasn't shown over here so only got the BBC website to go on. Glad the Saints won but not feeling overly confident going tino the game against Munster next weekend.
Well, going to play at Munster is always a fight-and-a-half. For everyone. Their home record speaks volumes. But, this is a better Saints club than last year. Hope its televised where you are.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:01 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Well, going to play at Munster is always a fight-and-a-half. For everyone. Their home record speaks volumes. But, this is a better Saints club than last year. Hope its televised where you are.

Yeah it's on next week thanks. Here we get one premium sports channel (Sportsnet World) for $15 a month that mainly shows Football and Rugby Union, although it does also show League and Irish sports too. Seeing as next week is an international weekend in the football we have the Quinns Connact game live on Friday, Leinster, Ulster & Munster Saints games live on Saturday and the Glasgow Bath and Gloucester games live on Sunday Very Happy (plus the mrs is on nights all weekend again so all's good!).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:13 am

I will be back in the US next weekend, but I already checked the TV listings. I will have it on in my living room, with a few locals and a few other ex-pats in the neighborhood wearing green to add a bit of local colour.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:17 am

doctor_grey wrote:I will be back in the US next weekend, but I already checked the TV listings. I will have it on in my living room, with a few locals and a few other ex-pats in the neighborhood wearing green to add a bit of local colour.

Sounds like a good way to watch the first round. Where are you in the US? We're on Mountain time here so the games kick off pretty early, especially the Saturday lunch game

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

Good morning,
I am living in the northern NJ suburbs of NYC right now. So the matches start in the morning and go all day. Where are you?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

The ref and officials were pretty awful and I feel for Wasps and the forward pass for the first Saints try was a woeful miss by the TJ who was directly in line. Good game for Saints who controlled game well and Ryan Lamb seems to be improving. Wasps were good but lacked control at the breakdown and really should have slotted some of the penalties on offer rather than kept going for the corner against the strong Saints defence.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:The ref and officials were pretty awful and I feel for Wasps and the forward pass for the first Saints try was a woeful miss by the TJ who was directly in line. Good game for Saints who controlled game well and Ryan Lamb seems to be improving. Wasps were good but lacked control at the breakdown and really should have slotted some of the penalties on offer rather than kept going for the corner against the strong Saints defence.

Agreed.

I think I said in another post that Saints would win this by more than 7 but no BP, but was surprised to see the extent of fortune & good luck that was required for Northampton to do this. (although the highlights can be deceptive can't they?) They did seem to get the rub of the green with the refs decisions and the pass for Saints first try was so forward it was unbelievable that both the TJ and ref missed it.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

From what I saw the refs were equally inconsistent for both teams. The difference was that Saints actually converted the referee's errors and Wasps did not. That one forward pass leading to the Saints score was probably the worst of the match, to be fair.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

The Saints may have had a slight rub of the green but they tended to make their own luck by exploiting the pretty dire ref and TJs. Wasps were very unWaspish in that they used to be the masters of getting away with everything at the breakdown but were just far to nice and really lacked the savvy nature that won them the trophies.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The Saints may have had a slight rub of the green but they tended to make their own luck by exploiting the pretty dire ref and TJs. Wasps were very unWaspish in that they used to be the masters of getting away with everything at the breakdown but were just far to nice and really lacked the savvy nature that won them the trophies.
Sam, I think that old Wasps toughness and Rugby smarts was really embodied in a line of players going pretty far back. I don't see that kind of intangible in anyone on their current roster.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Good morning,
I am living in the northern NJ suburbs of NYC right now. So the matches start in the morning and go all day. Where are you?

Out west - Red Deer, Alberta (1.5 hours north of Calgary). First match usually starts around 5.30 / 6am and then goes to about 1pm

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

Wow, you are in the beating heart of hockey country. A bit too far to invite you over for a beer, eh mate? Which hockey team? Calgary or Oilers?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Wow, you are in the beating heart of hockey country. A bit too far to invite you over for a beer, eh mate? Which hockey team? Calgary or Oilers?
Thanks for the beer offer - maybe a cyber-beer? Not a massive hockey fan but don't mind the odd game. The local team here are the Red Deer Rebels who play in the Western Hockey League, usually get to a couple of games a season. As for the NHL, the Flames every time. Without meaning to offend anyone the only thing I like about Edmonton is the airport!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down