The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could set up one fight in history????

+26
superflyweight
Eyetoldyouso
Mind the windows Tino.
Valero's Conscience
TopHat24/7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Dass
tcribb
Rowley
Michaels, Sean
Fists of Fury
HumanWindmill
sodhat
Mr Bounce
The Galveston Giant
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
captain carrantuohil
88Chris05
Atila
legendkillar
ShahenshahG
School Project
ONETWOFOREVER
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you could set up one fight in history???? Empty If you could set up one fight in history????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:00 pm

What would it be?..........Where would it be?.....and your prediction........

Not easy picking one fight is it............................but........

Rocky Marciano.........vs.............Jack Dempsey

Caesars Palace outdoor arena..........as the Sun sets over the desert!

Marciano by close decision............................

(With Windy as one of the judges in his pink dress)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If you could set up one fight in history???? Empty Re: If you could set up one fight in history????

Post by Adam D Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:01 pm

Mike Tyson vs Trussman OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

If you could set up one fight in history???? Empty Re: If you could set up one fight in history????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

I like my ears the way they are thank you....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

It has to be Sugar Ray Robinson v Sugar Ray Leonard.

Yankee stadium

In a bout titled "who's sugar is sweeter"

Robinson split decision.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

In all seriousness, I would like to have seen Prime Mike vs Prime Ali.

They say styles make fights, I think this one would have been fantastic.

Someone like Hearns vs Calzaghe would have been interesting too.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:13 pm

Not sure about Hearns v Calzaghe..Like to see two guys at their best weights......

Ali vs Tyson though would be a cracker.....An 86/87 Tyson..

At welter Robbo v Leonard ......Not sure who I'd pick ONETWO.........If Leonard has to lead Robbo for sure......role reversal makes it interesting though...

Robbo at a higher weight though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:17 pm

Marvin Hagler vs. Nigel Benn at Middle.

It would be brutal.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:20 pm

Joe Frazier vs Mike Tyson Or
Ali-Tyson.

But my favourite would probably be Duran-Chavez

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

Marvin Hagler v Nigel Benn

Maddison Square Garden

I would go for Hagler KO in the 12th

Would be a great contest for 2 warriors!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm

Cant see that myself. Hagler wins comfortably by ko after 7, first dismantling him then going to war.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:28 pm

I agree Benn would be right there like Sibson was.....

Might take him a little longer to quit than it did against Collins..

Around 6 or 7..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

Sandy Sandler v Terry Mcgovern

featherweight contest. Dirtiest ever.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

I said one fight.....

But if you are going to be greedy....

MUGABI vs JACKSON..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

Barnstormer without a doubt

Homicide Hank v Manny Pacquiao

Borefest

Willie Pep v Nazeem Hamed.

Blink and you've missed it

Julian Jackson v Calos Monzon

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:42 pm

Armstrong v Duran at lightweight is one I like.

Armstrong who could possibly the greatest fighter ever, fighting possibly the greatest lightweight ever, both of them lightweight champs and comfortable at the weight.

I'd go for Armstrong on points.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

What an interesting fight.......Armstrong-Duran..

I can't pick a winner..

Be the dirtiest fight in lightweight history though I'm sure!!!!!!!!!

certainly picked a good one out there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:45 pm

Great thread.

I'd go current with Manny Floyd purely to stop all the debate!

Leonard vs Floyd at welter. SRL for me.

How about Hagler Bhop at middle. Would MMH have what it takes to break BHop's middle weight dominance? Have to think he would do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

Hagler v Hoppo.....Great fight but I think Hoppo takes a decision...Marv could be outboxed and had some bad off nights.......Duran and Vito....

Wouldn't rule Hagler out though!!

Manny vs Floyd you haven't made a prediction!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

My prediction would be Floyd. Have said all along he wins that one.

I will be honest and say I'd cheer for Manny but the head says Floyd's speed is too much. Manny's best performances come against the slower opponents. I actually think Floyd would step it up and go for the ko.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:52 pm

How about Grab v the Ghost of Christmas past, only joking but the man did not exist.

Anyway Holmes v prime Ali.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

I pick Floyd too..

Holmes-Ali doesn't interest me as much as...

Shavers vs Foreman................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

Seeing as we're only allowed one, if you asked me on ten different days you'd probably get ten different answers. Right now, I'll go with Duran against Whitaker at Lightweight, over fifteen rounds. What a contest. Always think these hypothetical match ups are a little more interesting when there is a clash of styles. I see Duran taking a seriously close - maybe controversial and unpopular - decision, having made up an early deficit on the cards.

That said, one I'd have payed just about all the money I have to see would have been Zarate versus Olivares at Bantamweight - the two hardest hitters ever to grace the 118 lb weight class, and both of them Mexicans, too - do you think it would sell!? I'd tip my hat towards Zarate, the more complete of the two with more method to his insane power, and a better set of whiskers as well. That said, it's still a 'blink and you'll miss it' fight and if Olivares gets there first, a win for him wouldn't be any kind of surprise.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

As this is totally mythical, how do we think a prime, 2005 vs Tszyu version of Hatton would last against Duran at his best weight?

I imagine Hatton would make it a great watch while it lasted.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

I don't know Chris...Whittaker could spoil pretty well.......always the chance he takes a lead and stops Duran working..

Then again with all Duran's tricks spoiling might not be as easy.....

Certainly be interesting.........over 15 and not 12 like you say..

Duran at light was certainly formidable enough....to beat Whittaker though but I don't know......good pick. Duran over 15...Pernell 12..........

Rather watch DURAN vs CHAVEZ at 135 though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

Hatton vs Duran at 140 would be a good scrap...great choice!!!

Think Duran had a bigger box of tricks.. but I think his main advantage would be he is/was less introspective...Hatton was weaker mentally and that's bad during a WAR...

Duran late......he'd relish a war!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

I agree to a point, Truss; from a spectator point of view, I think Duran-Chavez would probably be a better / more entertaining fight than Duran-Whitaker. The problem is that I see Duran beating Chavez the high majority of the time, whereas Whitaker would be a real pick 'em. As such, I'm more intrigued by Duran-Whitaker...Not that I'd be complaining if we got to see Duran-Chavez, of course!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

Hagler v Leonard around 1982 is another one I would have liked. It would have probably been a 15 rounder and both of them would have been closer to their primes.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

How about Hagler vs Leonard 87 and he comes out like he did against Tommy!!!

82.... over 15 Hagler everytime....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How about Hagler vs Leonard 87 and he comes out like he did against Tommy!!!

82.... over 15 Hagler everytime....
Didn't want to mention their 1987 fight. It still gets debated so wanted to leave it alone. Laugh

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm

If I'd had the wonderful career Marv had.. I'd have few regrets and lot of happy memories....

But those first four rounds!!!!!!!! Doh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

Sanchez-Arguello at 130 would be my choice right now. Have to go with Alexis, the best ever at the weight, but Sanchez was special enough to upset the odds. Be a fantastic fight either way.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

There was once talk of Arguello moving up from 130lbs to fight Duran at 135lbs. That would have good to see.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

personally though its probably not for the casual viewer mayweather jr - whitaker would be very interesting. maybe floyd gets it for being a cit more aggressive but dunno... pretty on the fence.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:11 am

Based on Trussmans recent articles I would say.....James Toney v Sven Ottke Wink

On a more 'non jerk' note im gonna go for the classic Tyson v Ali

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

I would have liked Tyson against Tua or Morrison.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

Tyson vs Tua would have been a cracker.

Ibeabuchi vs Lewis or Bowe

Leonard vs Mayweather at welter

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:personally though its probably not for the casual viewer mayweather jr - whitaker would be very interesting. maybe floyd gets it for being a cit more aggressive but dunno... pretty on the fence.

I was thinking along those lines too, but I would probably throw Whitaker in with Duran because I'd love the styles clash of two ATG lightweights.

It's difficult to pick for me, both being among my favourite fighters. I'll say Duran takes it on points with his aggression and work rate, but it's close.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

Harry Greb v Stan Ketchel.

I doubt that even a computer would be able to count the number of punches - or fouls - and it would all be a blur of flying leather and relentless, grinding toil. Ketchel with the heavyweight wallop v Greb with the heavyweight chin.

Have Tex Rickard build a stadium, break out the straw boaters and sit back and watch them go at it for twenty rounds on a hot July 4th.

One for Eternity.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

Agree with Hamed Morales.

Windy, that's a great potential matchup, absolute carnage would ensue, no doubt.

Pacquiao vs Pryor would have been a belter, too.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

Slightly changing the specifics of the article, I would scrub Eubank v Benn rematch in late 1993. I would then have had 2 match ups taking place in early 1994, with the winners and losers fighting each other in late 1994.

Benn V Toney
Eubank v Jones

Benn/Toney v Eubank/Jones
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

How about Jones vs Tunney for Coxy?

Have recently been intrigued by Langford vs Louis, may seem something of a mismatch but have read a good number of testimonials from people who saw them both maintaining Sam would have been too much even for Joe, remain unconvinced myself but would be nice to find out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Love the idea of Ketchel v Greb by Windy.

I'm going with Tunney V Moore The master of strategy versus the master tactician with another difficult mesh of styles, haven't got a clue how that one would play out.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Duran v Whitaker @ Lightweight

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

Bruno v Wladimir would have been a good fight
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

rowley wrote:How about Jones vs Tunney for Coxy?

Have recently been intrigued by Langford vs Louis, may seem something of a mismatch but have read a good number of testimonials from people who saw them both maintaining Sam would have been too much even for Joe, remain unconvinced myself but would be nice to find out.

Thought you might go for Burley v Robinson, jeff.

By the way, I'm twenty pages from finishing the Burley bio. Superb! You didn't over sell it one iota. The main thing I learned was what excellent records some of the unsung fighters had accrued - guys such as the Hogues, for example - and how strong the overall competition was, at the time.

Marvellous book.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

Steffan wrote:Based on Trussmans recent articles I would say.....James Toney v Sven Ottke Wink

That fight must be in Germany though with Roger Tilleman as the ref. Who dyer reckon wins that one?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

By the way, I'm twenty pages from finishing the Burley bio. Superb! You didn't over sell it one iota. The main thing I learned was what excellent records some of the unsung fighters had accrued - guys such as the Hogues, for example - and how strong the overall competition was, at the time.

Marvellous book.

What's the title of that book, Windy?

I'm on the lookout for more reading material, and with Christmas and Birthdays nearing, I need to let people know what to get me..!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

The temptation was certainly there Windy but didn't want to be predictable, glad you are enjoying the book, suspected you would but always have a morbid fear of recommending things only for people to hate them. Agree about how strong the era was, you not only have to factor in the abilities of guys Burley fought such as the BMR, Moore, Charles and Zivic but there were also a wealth of decent fighters such as Zale, Cochran, Robbo and Conn who for whatever reasons he couldn't secure fights with, such strength in depth around the mid weights back then.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

sodhat wrote:

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row by Harry Otty Sodhat, is outstanding.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:08 am

rowley wrote:
sodhat wrote:

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row by Harry Otty Sodhat, is outstanding.

Cheers Jeff, one for the list this year I'd say!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next