The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test Matches ( The best format) ??

+4
Biltong
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
skyeman
8 posters

Go down

Test Matches ( The best format) ?? Empty Test Matches ( The best format) ??

Post by skyeman Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

I have been reading a lot recently about views from plenty of posters from various sources that ODI,s and T20 are more entertaining to them and are overtaking Test cricket in popularity. Some even saying that ODi,s are now the pinnacle. Backing them up you have people like Chris Gayle who said that he hoped Test cricket dies out and that he prefers the shorter formats.
In some countries i have to except that the attendances are higher for the shorter formats, for certain countries playing each other than the Test matches they play against each other. (many factors for this).
But for me, Test cricket is the one format that gives you everything. I will never wake up on the morning of an ODI or T20 match with the amount of excitement or anticipation of what is about to occur in a Test match.
Nearly all top cricketers say that Test matches are the hardest and most meaninful form of cricket.
I just find it strange that so many can not see this, For me, the ODI part of a series is just a bonus for the Tests.
The reasons a lot give is that this modern world is so fast paced that many do not have time for Test cricket. No merit in that for me, Eng v Aus, SA v Aus, Ind v Pak and so on Always packed stadiums even on work days.

My main point is, i dislike that in recent times test matches by some are being devalued, For me Test cricket will always be No 1.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Test Matches ( The best format) ?? Empty Re: Test Matches ( The best format) ??

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

test cricket is, and will always be the pinnacle of the game!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:53 pm

Test cricket is still the biggest test of skill for bowlers, batsmen and fielders. Bowlers have to work hard to get wickets rather than be gifted them by batsmen slogging. Batsmen have to be able to bat for long periods of time, and the challenge is harder (bowlers have unlimited amount of overs, can bowl more bouncers, negative lines, etc.). Fielders need to be able to concentrate for 89 overs and five balls and on that last ball be alert to a catch, possible run out, or even just be able to sprint to stop the four. Also the ebbs and flows of test cricket make it much the most enjoyable game to watch IMO. In ODIs or T20s a side who loses a few early wickets more often than not never recovers, whereas if you look at the second test Eng vs India this summer England were 100-and-not-very-many for 8 and ended up winning by over 200 runs.

T20 is good for a bit of fun, and is enjoyable to watch IMO. I find ODI cricket a bit dull at the mo, despite all the artificial attempts the midle-overs are still mostly boring (except when England are collapsing like a pack of cards). This new idea for PPs is plain daft as it seems to have resulted in every team taking the PPs at the exact same time. All seems a bit contrived to me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:09 am

Its a no brainer Tests are No.1

T20Is are a good entertainment.

Last edited by shankythebiggestengfan on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:38 am

I really don't enjoy T20's, it is a leveller though because a team really only needs one or two batsmen to get it right on the day and they can win.

ODI's is more reliant on a full squad doing well, even though on the odd occasion a handful of players can win a game for you.

Test are long enough where luck plays only a very small part in the match result. The swings and roundabouts makes for intrigueing cricket and can change from one session to the next. My favourite format of the game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:54 am

Agreed re T20, ipl in particular, can watch for a few overs then it just gets really annoying - if I ever hear myself saying "d*f maximum" or "c**y moment of success" I'll throw myself off a tall building & hope I land on Robin Jackman or Danny Morrison. Would rather follow a test on cricinfo than have VIP seats at an ipl or champion's league final.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:09 am

there is room for all 3 forms....to coexist.

T20s are kind of masala stuff.......falling between sports and TV entertainment as opposed to pure sports category......... devoid of enough playing span to allow for building up of the ebb and tide and nuances that makes cricket so interesting.

test matches don't get the favours from investors and sponsors...after all it's about commerce and returns on invsetment....that CANNOT be ignored...under any guise of "pinnacle", "pristine'....from commentators and critics, who themselves charge no less than US$ 3000 a day to practise their trade.

with the advent of T20...suddenly the erstwhile bad guys ODI are looking like a respectable middle ground.....enough playing span to test conventional cricketing abilities like innings building, a long spell( like 7 or 8 overs long) by a bolwer with close in fielder to use his craft and test the batsmen, enough duration of playing for the new ball to turn old and offer reverse.....and these days performances in ODIs are deemed somewhat a pre-cursor to cricketer's ability in test matches.

strangely and unexpectedly ODIs have risen in esteem after the advent of T20 and especially after IPL turned T20 cricket into a TV charade

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:43 am

Galted wrote:Agreed re T20, ipl in particular, can watch for a few overs then it just gets really annoying - if I ever hear myself saying "d*f maximum" or "c**y moment of success" I'll throw myself off a tall building & hope I land on Robin Jackman or Danny Morrison. Would rather follow a test on cricinfo than have VIP seats at an ipl or champion's league final.

I know exactly what you mean, i have yet to watch the full amount of overs in a T20. I usually watch the beginning and then the end.
It always comes accross that the commentators are not particularly enthused by this format either.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by activereactive Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:51 am

Test Matches Test Matches Test Matches Test Matches Test Matches
5days should be replaced with 4 days to make it more competitive, or say introduce 100/125 overs each side.
Most test matches played in the recent time have been very entertaining, result oriented. in regards to filling up stadiums, the tiems have changed, people rather stay at work. home, or where ever and follow the score on digital media. I beleive these kind of matches still bring in enough money from TV channnels.

activereactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:59 am

test cricket will always be no1. When you ask the players, they all think that tests are no1, and to be honest i dont think t20 will always be around, and the quicker t20 goes the better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

Test cricket will always be top dog in my mind, and whenever you hear any of the players talk they all share the ultimate aim of playing Test cricket.

I think both the supporters and players realise that it is the pinnacle of the game, where greatness can truly be recognised and where only the very best succeed. In the past few years there have been countless nail-biting, exciting Test matches too, so I don't think we need to worry about it from an entertainment perspective. The introduction of the shorter format may make batsmen slightly more aggressive in Tests, which I believe we have seen already to a small extent, but it'll never take away the esteem in which it is held.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down