The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unassailable Records

+11
Leff
wow
guildfordbat
Demon Racer
Hoggy_Bear
skyeman
JDizzle
rich1uk
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
Stella
15 posters

Go down

Unassailable Records Empty Unassailable Records

Post by Stella Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:08 am

A big well done to Mark Boucher who claimed his 500th test catch on the first day vs Australia. Add the 22 stumping's and you have a record they MAY not be eclipsed.

What other records do you think may not be reached in tests or ODI's?

Bradman's average? (minimum of 50 test innings all you Ganteaume fans)
Murali's test scalps?
Sachin's international tons (when he finally calls it a day)
Even Hobbs' 197 first class hundreds

Or do you believe some of these mentioned records will fall?

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Unassailable Records Empty Re: Unassailable Records

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

I can't see any of those records falling, and it'll take an incredibly special (along with lucky in terms of avoiding injury etc) player to do so.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

No chance of any of the above records falling.

However there is a slim chance that Lara's 400 in Tests and Sachin's 200 in ODIS MIGHT be broken given the incredibly flat pitches these days.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:09 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:No chance of any of the above records falling.

However there is a slim chance that Lara's 400 in Tests and Sachin's 200 in ODIS MIGHT be broken given the incredibly flat pitches these days.

someone will beat that 200 in an ODI , watson was on course to do it earlier in the year iirc

the lara record is a harder one as its pretty hard to allow someone to bat long enough to get to 400 in a meaningful match

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

I'd throw in Jim Laker's 19 wickets in a match in there aswell, I strongly doubt that anyone will ever go past that. I would say that that and Bradman's average are the two that are least likely to be broken.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:20 am

Tendulkar's 15,000 Test run's and still growing, will be very difficult to beat. You would have to start very young, like Sachin did and then have a very long career.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

S.F. Barnes' 49 wickets in a series perhaps?
Especially given that 5 match series are becoming rarer (although Barnes only played in 4 of the 5 matches when setting that record)

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 10 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

Laker's record and Barnes' records look pretty safe.

We use to play the Aussies in 6 match series, so if Barnes' record was going to go then you would have thought it would be then.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

Yeah, I would imagine Barnes's record is pretty secure. How many wickets did Warne get against England in the 05 Ashes? I think that was 40, and I can't imagine anyone bowling better than he did that summer so I would think that it will nigh on impossible to get 50 wickets in a 5 match series!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

I'd say Lara's 400 and Tendulkar 200 are most likely to get broken. You see a lot of flat decks, and with quite a few below par Test/ODI sides, someone has to get of to a flyer and they could do it.

In recent times, Jayawardene scored 350+ vs South Africa and Gayle scored 333 vs Sri Lanka. Someone like a Sehwag is all ways in with a shout of getting a monster score if he keeps his head.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

In 2010 Robert Croft took his total number of runs and wickets for Glamorgan in first class cricket to in excess of ten thousand and one thousand respectively.

The previous player to achive this for a single county was Peter Sainsbury of Hampshire as long ago as 1972.

Given the structure now of the Championship season and the effective curtailing of county careers through central contracts, Croft's tremendous feat will sadly never be accomplished again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 10 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

A very good example, Guildford, and you're right of course, it is sad that such records in County cricket are going to be broken far less frequently in this day and age.

However, on the flip side, out international players will get an increased chance to break long standing England records. Not sure how much of a consolation that is, but it's some, at least.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

no one will ever get past tendulkar for test runs..

already at 15,000 and isnt finished, there isnt as much test cricket played these days, and i dont think anyone will catch him.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:A very good example, Guildford, and you're right of course, it is sad that such records in County cricket are going to be broken far less frequently in this day and age.

However, on the flip side, out international players will get an increased chance to break long standing England records. Not sure how much of a consolation that is, but it's some, at least.

Thanks, Fists.

I will return in due course to Robert Croft and this achievement on another thread that you are overseeing .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 10 Nov 2011, 7:03 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:no one will ever get past tendulkar for test runs..

already at 15,000 and isnt finished, there isnt as much test cricket played these days, and i dont think anyone will catch him.

I agree with everything, except the amount of Test's played, there is way more Test's played per year than there as ever been, even from when Sachin began playing.
Such as England play 7-8 Test's per English summer (used to be 5), and then 2 Test series away in our winter (used to be 1).

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

Cook MAY get near 15,000???
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

Stella wrote:Cook MAY get near 15,000???

As an Englisman i hope so, without doubt Cook will break a lot of English records, and without doubt (barring injury) become England's top Test run scorer and century maker, but for him to get anywhere near 15,000 Test run's, at his current rate he will need to play for another 9-11 years, making him 37 by that time. I am not saying that is impossible, just unlikely.

But good luck A.Cook Yahoo

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

Most of Sachin's records in ODIs and World cups are also unassailable. Sachin leads in no. of runs and centuries in both.

Also now sachin holds the record for scoring highest number of runs in chasing that might be unassailable too. Gavaskar's 241 in the 4th innings of a match looks very less likely to be broken.

Ajit Agarkar's four or six (not sure) consecutive ducks will be difficult for someone to emulate Smile

Kamran Akmal's record of missing stumpings and catches ( and not losing his place in the side) will not get emulated Smile

Last edited by wow on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

wow wrote:Most of Sachin's records in ODIs and World cups are also unassailable. Sachin leads in no. of runs and centuries in both.

Also now sachin holds the record for scoring highest number of runs in chasing that might be unassailable too. Gavaskar's 241 in the 4th innings of a match looks very less likely to be broken.

Ajit Agarkar's four or six (not sure) consecutive ducks will be difficult for someone to emulate Smile

Kamran Akmal's record of missing stumpings and catches ( and not losing his place in the side) will might not get emulated Smile

The last one, very funny Wink

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm

skyeman wrote:
wow wrote:Most of Sachin's records in ODIs and World cups are also unassailable. Sachin leads in no. of runs and centuries in both.

Kamran Akmal's record of missing stumpings and catches ( and not losing his place in the side) will not get emulated Smile

Pakistani cricketers hold few other funny records as well like Afridi's retirements and reretirements and again taking back retirement. Mohammad Yusuf and Younis Khan have followed him closely in that .
I remember a match and Pakistani team had 5 or 6 former captains playing in a match. I think Mudassar Nazar holds the record for slowest hundred but I could be wrong on that.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:56 pm

wow wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Pakistani cricketers hold few other funny records as well like Afridi's retirements and reretirements and again taking back retirement. Mohammad Yusuf and Younis Khan have followed him closely in that .
I remember a match and Pakistani team had 5 or 6 former captains playing in a match. I think Mudassar Nazar holds the record for slowest hundred but I could be wrong on that.

PMSL Wow, i thiink you are missing the point, when i said very funny to your last point, does Southwark Crown Court not mean anything to you. I was trying to be subtle. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:59 am

rich1uk wrote:
the lara record is a harder one as its pretty hard to allow someone to bat long enough to get to 400 in a meaningful match

Lara himself scored his 400 in a meaningless fourth and final match of the series after he failed miserably in the first three tests (he averaged about 18 runs) and his team had already lost the series 0-3. Someone like Cook or ABD can accomplish something like that at a place like Antigua or Sharjah.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:02 am

I agree. He is so far ahead. Furthermore, we are likely to see more T20Is and less ODIs in future; so the chances are slim that others can catch up.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Certain things are never going to happen again due to the amount of first class cricket that's played now, plus the fact that if you're any good you're going to play EVEN LESS first class cricket as you will be in the Test team.
So it's (fairly) safe to say that no one will hit 100 first-class 100s again and Hobbs record number of centuries is even safer.
Let's face it, no one is going to average 99 in Tests and Murali's wicket record is gonna be mighty hard to beat.
Cook, IMHO, has a chance of 15,000 runs, but, hey, Sachin is still playing so that aint gonna be easy, either.
Given that 17 wickets in a first-class match has only ever been surpassed once, I don't give anyone much chance of equalling Jim Laker either.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 Nov 2011, 5:52 pm

Sir Fred - all good points.

Also good to have you jumping over the tennis net and paying the cricket forum a visit. Hope we'll see more of you. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:36 am

I agree nearly all the substantive points made in previous posts. Records most likely to be broken include high individual scores and speed of scores - reflecting the influence of ODIs and in particular T20. Someone performing at T20 pace and playing well & getting lucky could amass huge totals....

One other kind of record may also be fairly safe - the number of different players used in a series. Not sure what the record is but England used to go through enormous numbers of different players in a series... But I suppose you never know, fashion may swing back again. If in the world at large employment protection is thrown out the window in attempt to make labour market more flexible we could find a hire em fire em mentality spreads back into cricket.... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:54 am

G'bat. Ta for your kind words. Interesting that Pat Murphy has said that Ramps will be the last to get one hundred 100s and you really can't see anyone else doing it. All of this makes Sachin's record so amazing. To get 100 INTERNATIONAL centuries shows not just skill but amazing fitness levels.
Not mentioned much so far is the catching records. I see the seven in one innings by a non-keeper was equalled this last English season. But career first-class records, with outfield guys getting 700 or 800, are never going to be surpassed. 400 or 500 would be a good achievement now, given the number of first-class matches played.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Can anyone see a team reaching 1000?
Sri-Lanka's 952-6 is the record.
India with their batsmen and on home soil look most likely but to be honest, I would be very surprised to see it happen.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

Stella - exceptionally unlikely. Just seems too massive a score. After all, only takes two balls to get two wickets and the whole batting momentum of a side changes.

Only scenario I could imagine is if a side, needing only a draw to win a series, bats first and keeps on going and going.

Still can't realistically see it. Would be prepared to stake your life (yours, not mine Wink ) on it never happening.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Gee,thanks...lets hope the 1000 barrier is never broken Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

The 1,000 might be possible if a side, say, already ahead in the series bowls the other lot out very cheaply and very quickly in the last Test of that series and then bats for about three days.
You would have thought there would never be enough time in a Test for two batsman who were not openers to add 600 in a Test but it happened recently.
Probably more likely to see the 400 individual innings passed than the 1,000. Sehwag, for example, could get 400 quickly enough for it still to be a meaningful match. Lara's two huge Test scores were in series already won or lost.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

What about Walcott's 5 tons in one series?
There are no 6 match series any more and less fifers than before, so I say, doubtful.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

How many did Cook get in Aus, 3 was it?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

Yes, three. A few have four but even equalling five looks unlikely.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

588 Test runs scored in a single day will probably never be beaten. (only 90 overs now) England v India 1936

Sachin Tendulka (still going Wink ) scoring 2278 ODI World Cup runs, another record Sachin will more than likely keep forever.

And the biggest banker of them all, never ever to be broken is the Test series attendance of 943,000 for Australia v England, 1936-37.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

I believe the following records will be broken eventually:

Most runs in an inning - Lara 400
Most runs in a match - Gooch 456
Most runs in a series - Bradman 975 (I may be wrong about this)
Most runs in a calendar year - Yousuf 1788
Most runs in an over - Lara 28
Most hundreds in a series - Walcott 5 (In a 6-test Ashes series, this can happen)
Fastest hundred - Viv Richards 56 balls

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm

Leff
We only play five match ashes series now.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

Walsh's record of 39 ducks will sit pretty for long time Smile
Stuart Broad's record of getting reprimanded by match referees too will stand for long time Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:18 am

Stella wrote:Leff

We played 6 tests not long ago (1997).

The only series for which there might be any interest in playing 5 tests or more these days is the Ashes.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:36 am

Leff wrote:

The only series for which there might be any interest in playing 5 tests or more these days is the Ashes.

I know they did play six but I cannot see hem reverting back to that.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

It's not a test record, but Lara's 501 won't be broken any time soon.

It will be a long time before Murali's wickets record is broken, but most of the others will happen sooner or later. The only test record I think is truly out of reach is Bradman's average. That simply won't happen again.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:53 pm

The two which I am sure won't be beaten in my lifetime is Laker's 19 wickets and Bradman's 99 average.

Other records based on pure volume of runs is far less certain, given the seemingly increasing volume of cricket being played, and improvements in fitness standards leading to longer careers and fewer injuries (in general).

As others have said it is not unfeasible that Cook will beat Tendulkar's run record, he may even equal or beat his ton record in tests.

Lara's 400 will go eventually I am fairly certain. As will Tendulkar's 200. And Gooch's 456 prob (Taylor should have got it a few years back).

Afridi's record of being 17 years old for the longest period of time may take some challenging... Very Happy

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

Stella wrote:
Leff wrote:

I know they did play six but I cannot see hem reverting back to that.

In my time there were actually seven tests in one Ashes series in Australia - well, sort of! Smile

The 1970-71 series was scheduled to consist of six tests. However, one of the tests was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to torrential rain. A seventh test was then hastily added. This caused quite a falling out by England skipper Ray Illingworth with the England Management who had agreed to the extra match without consulting Illy or the players!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:36 am

Especially with constant calls for retirement for International cricketers between the ages of 35-40, I think that it is very unlikely that Wilfred Rhodes record of being the oldest ever (52) Test cricketer, will ever be surpassed.

Maybe we could have another Ten years of Sachin Smile

If you are good enough and you want to, then carry on.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

Ramps ("Gramps") will be 43 before the end of next season for Surrey. The higher demands made of fielders these days are likely to end most people's careers by around 40 - if not before...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm

Personally can't see Cook getting past Tendulkar eventual total of runs or hundreds. Tendulkar's longevity is down to a near perfect technique and being a smaller man, thus sustaining less injuries. Tendulkar's main injury during his career was the elbow problem, which spoilt nearly 2 years of his career. Its conceivable that had he not got injured, he would be on 17000+ runs. Taller batsmen become more combersome with their footwork, when Father Time catches up with them, chief example Matthew Hayden. I all ways thought he would score 40+ Test hundreds. He had 20 after 50 Tests, yet finished with 30 from 100+ Tests.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down