The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blues pick team to face Racing Metro

+14
PJHolybloke
SubsBench
Turkster
mr-bryns-attitude
Knowsit17
Shifty
Ozzy3213
J_D
maestegmafia
wales606
Smirnoffpriest
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
XR
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Blues pick team to face Racing Metro - Page 3 Empty Blues pick team to face Racing Metro

Post by XR Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Cardiff Blues travel to Paris on Friday to face a star studded Racing Metro side. The rugby season is set to explode into life across Europe as the 17th Heineken Cup takes centre stage with all roads leading to the final at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday, 19 May, 2012.

The Blues open their campaign against Racing Metro on Friday 11 November, 9pm kick off local time, at Stade Colombes, the match is shown on the red button on Sky Sports.

With the match against Dragons being postponed last Friday night, the Blues had to change their preparation this week. Speaking ahead of the trip to France, Cardiff Blues forwards coach Justin Burnell said,

"Due to the cancelled game, on Monday morning we had two XV's playing against each other, which was interesting."

"It was an eye opener with the XV that was due to play against the Dragons playing against another XV."

"There was some good match up's so selection has been very difficult."

"Obviously having the game against Dragons postponed wasn't ideal."

"A lot of players have performed fantastically for us during the opening of the PRO12 so it would have been good to mix them with the World Cup players."

"The Welsh players have come back from a very successful campaign and they showed they are some of the best players in the world."

"Physically and mentally they are ready for the Heineken Cup."

Looking at the strength of the Racing Metro side Burnell added,

"When you play a French team first up, on their own patch, it is perhaps the most difficult game of the pool."

"However, we have got the mindset that we have to perform and win the game."

"They are typically French, in so much as they have good set piece, strong scrum, one second row doesn't jump and is 120kilos and an outstanding kicking outside half."

"It will be a massive physical battle, that's what we're planning for and working towards."

Cardiff Blues
15 Chris Czekaj 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Casey Laulala 12 Jamie Roberts 11 Tom James 10 Dan Parks 9 Lloyd Williams

8 Xavier Rush 7 Sam Warburton 6 Michael Paterson 5 James Down 4 Bradley Davies 3 Taufa'ao Filise 2 T Rhys Thomas 1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Marc Breeze 17 John Yapp 18 Scott Andrews 19 Paul Tito 20 Andries Pretorius 21 Richie Rees 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Gavin Evans

----------------------------

Probably the strongest team we could put out and the closed doors game was a good idea to get our players some preparation time. Glad to see Lloyd Williams start and Pretorious back from injury on the bench. RM92 are missing a few players but this is going to be a hard match to win, so we need to get out of the blocks early and take control. Take the wind out of their sails early and we have a chance.

XR

Back to top Go down

Blues pick team to face Racing Metro - Page 3 Empty Re: Blues pick team to face Racing Metro

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:I have Blues by 4 on Sportguru, it's in the bag guys and gals. Very Happy
Are you sure?Worth a check,I reckon. Crying or Very sad

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Blues pick team to face Racing Metro - Page 3 Empty Re: Blues pick team to face Racing Metro

Post by Turkster Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Jamie Roberts has a groin injury apparently, might be out of the Australia game if it's a bad one.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Good win for the Blues, dominated the second half.

Roberts has a groin injury according to the beeb, has yet to be fully assessed. Hopefully he gets off better than Carter did.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Jamie roberts has a Fractured and dislocated ankle.

"The Blues also lost lock James Down with a dislocated and broken ankle in the third minute as their European campaign got underway."

Roberts is just a 'concern' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15703681.stm

Worryingly, Roberts and Laulaula both went off - That could be bad news for our home game next week, we cant afford to lose both (especially Laulaula with the form of our back3 we need his distribution in midfield, he takes the pressure of Parks to be a playmaker)

When is Henson due back? If both are out, at least Evans and Hewitt has had plenty of game time, still I wouldn't like to see them both starting in the HC.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Oi! I was watching the Racing v Blues one. Well actually my brother was watching it on a stream on his laptop so it was a bit dodgy, so I was keeping an eye on updates of the Connacht one (gutted they didnt get a LBP Sad )

Hmmm fingers crossed for The Jaw it isn't a bad one. Blues could ahve done with him being fit for next week though.

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO!

This is not good, just flicked onto Sportguru to check out how many points my Blues prediction was going to net, and I obviously punched the wrong button - Racing by 4!

Cry

Sad face.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!

This is not good, just flicked onto Sportguru to check out how many points my Blues prediction was going to net, and I obviously punched the wrong button - Racing by 4!

Cry

Sad face.

Oh dear...I predicted Blues by 4 Wink - I got 2pts
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:05 pm

wales606 wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!

Cry

Sad face.

Oh dear...I predicted Blues by 4 Wink - I got 2pts

laughing I'm down here, stop kicking will ya?!

Me an my fat barsterd fingas.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Jamie roberts has a Fractured and dislocated ankle.

"The Blues also lost lock James Down with a dislocated and broken ankle in the third minute as their European campaign got underway."

Roberts is just a 'concern' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15703681.stm

Worryingly, Roberts and Laulaula both went off - That could be bad news for our home game next week, we cant afford to lose both (especially Laulaula with the form of our back3 we need his distribution in midfield, he takes the pressure of Parks to be a playmaker)

When is Henson due back? If both are out, at least Evans and Hewitt has had plenty of game time, still I wouldn't like to see them both starting in the HC.

Thank god for that,, sorry i got it the wrong way round, poor james downs too...

I think Gavin Evans has already experienced a semi final in the HEC after the scarlets unbeaten run to a cruel defeat in 2007. and Dav hewitt seems in good form, plus possible henson to come in... reckon Lualua looked fine

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Hopefully taking Laulaula off was a precaution (but putting Sweeney in at centre with 10 minutes to go doesnt seem like a tactical sub)

Gutted for Down, he had just broken into the first team by displacing Tito and was off within 3 minutes - It certainly caused Tito to up is game though, he was good off the bench.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

It's suprising to see Czekaj and James play so well, although they still aren't very smart. I wonder where Halfpenny fits in here? Cuthbert continues the form that will see him get a call up for the Aus fixture in December.

Is there's any seriousness to roberts injury which hopefully there isn't, it's a great opportunity for a returning Henson. Lets just hope he doesn't get injured again either!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Morgannwg wrote:It's suprising to see Czekaj and James play so well, although they still aren't very smart. I wonder where Halfpenny fits in here? Cuthbert continues the form that will see him get a call up for the Aus fixture in December.

Is there's any seriousness to roberts injury which hopefully there isn't, it's a great opportunity for a returning Henson. Lets just hope he doesn't get injured again either!
Tom James and Cezkaj played well but they were hardly inspirational, Half Penny wont have to worry too much. James is a bit thick when it comes to any decision making and Cezkaj still looks like he is trying to find his feet at fullback. I guess halfpenny will fit in at fullback?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:46 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:It's suprising to see Czekaj and James play so well, although they still aren't very smart. I wonder where Halfpenny fits in here? Cuthbert continues the form that will see him get a call up for the Aus fixture in December.

Tom James and Cezkaj played well but they were hardly inspirational, Half Penny wont have to worry too much. James is a bit thick when it comes to any decision making and Cezkaj still looks like he is trying to find his feet at fullback. I guess halfpenny will fit in at fullback?

Define inspirational? All the Blues good work tonight came off that back3.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm

hmmm...!

its on S4c right now...! have a watch.

Cuthbert looks great, Tom James and Cezkaj look limited in comparison.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Watching the highlights

Tom James run is amazing.

I didnt realise that Gethin had tried a flick pass twice - it worked once too. He's definitely eyeing up a position in the midfield.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 pm

wales606, Czekaj got ankle tapped after a good run up to the Racing 22, he could have got up but stayed on the ground. Result was a turnover. Had he been smarter... James' tackling can be woeful sometimes, he is kind of erratic under the high ball, Quinnel was incorrect to describe him as excellent under the high ball. I think Halfpenny will go to full back, he's the best footballer out of the bunch.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Looks like Roberts isnt too bad - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15703681.stm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Also, I think one of the biggest factors in the win was the quick service to the backs and Lloyd Williams notworthy deserves praise for his contribution, keeping up his world cup form - can see past him for the 9 shirt against Aus (especially with the ridiculous selection at the ospreys seeing Webb miss out Headscratch )
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:18 am

Very good away win for the Blues hope Roberts' injury not to bad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone notice the choice words between dan parks and gethin? It happened after Lloyd Williams miss passed parks because he was standing too deep.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 am

slartibartfast wrote:Anyone notice the choice words between dan parks and gethin? It happened after Lloyd Williams miss passed parks because he was standing too deep.

Nope didnt see that - good to see Parks being missed out if he is standing too deep (which he is prone to do) - Another thing that L.Williams did well was distributing to Laulaula when Parks was exposed or too deep, I really hope Laulaula is fit for next week...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 pm

All Welsh regions (in the HC) won! Yeah!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:All Welsh regions (in the HC) won! Yeah!

And in the Amlin

In the HC they all beat French opposition - revenge after the WC.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 pm

good point - sounds like a good Dragons win as well. The Blues must be favs to top their group now, think the Scarlets are still going to have a tough ask but hopefully the Ospreys can qualify for the knock outs as well

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 pm

wales606 wrote:Looks like Roberts isnt too bad - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15703681.stm
Whats this 606 ?
A thread without a mention of Lloyd Williams. Shocked

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Janecory wrote:
wales606 wrote:Looks like Roberts isnt too bad - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15703681.stm
Whats this 606 ?

?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 pm

wales606 wrote:
Janecory wrote:
Whats this 606 ?

?
AND ANOTHER ! Doh

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3