The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz - HEC Pool Five

+9
Shifty
wales606
beshocked
TBJ9625
funnyExiledScot
BlueNote
Cari
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is likely winner

Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Vote_lcap54%Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 15 ]
Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Vote_lcap46%Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 28

Poll closed

Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Empty Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz - HEC Pool Five

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:24 pm

Ospreys vs Biarritz at Liberty Stadium

Saturday 12th November 2011

Kick off at 15:40

LIVE on SkySports1 RED BUTTON at 15:30

Live commentary on BBC Sport online

Score updates on BBC Radio Wales and Radio Cymru

Highlights on S4C and Sky Sports Heineken Cup show

Dan Biggar Ospreys kicked all eight of his attempts at goal to help Ospreys to a scrappy opening Heineken Cup win over Biarritz at the Liberty Stadium.

Former England wing Iain Balshaw scored two tries for Biarritz and was denied a hat-trick by a marginal knock-on call.

But his opposite number Tommy Bowe's second-half touchdown - and 23 points from Biggar - ensured a winning start.

Biggar's accuracy ensured Ospreys extending their unbeaten European home record to 17 games.

The fly-half's seven penalties and a conversion finished just three points short of equalliing Gavin Henson's Ospreys Heineken Cup record of 26, set against Harlequins seven seasons ago.

At times the Welsh region made hard work of it, struggling for fluency in their attacking game, but with Biarritz regularly conceding penalties Biggar was in no mood to let them off the hook.

He kept the scoreboard ticking over and allowed the Ospreys an early opportunity to take charge of their group, with a trip to face Italians Treviso next weekend.

Biarritz arrived in Wales needing to put dismal domestic form behind them that had seen go bottom of the Top 14 French championship without their World Cup players.

And the visitors showed they meant business from the start, dominating early possession and territory as centre Damien Traille dropped a fifth-minute goal.

But crucially that came either side of centre Marcelo Bosch and fly-half Julien Peyrelongue missing penalties.

It took the Ospreys almost 15 minutes to establish any sort of threatening position, but a long-range Biggar penalty hauled them level by the end of an error-strewn opening quarter.

A second Biggar penalty edged the Ospreys 6-3 ahead at half-time, but it was a dire opening period.

Biggar completed his penalty hat-trick just two minutes into the second half and when Biarritz infringed again shortly afterwards, he found his range from a testing angle 40 metres out.

Bosch and Biggar exchanged a series of penalties as English referee Andrew Small readily punished both sides' technical deficiencies.

But with Ospreys leading 18-9 Traille produced the first moment of real quality in the match with a fine miss-pass that gave Balshaw room to slide in at the left corner, although Bosch missed the tricky afters.

That was the cue, though, for a concerted Ospreys response and when Bosch failed to deal with a steepling kick just outside his 22, Ospreys scrum-half Kahn Fotuali'i reacted quickest and sent Bowe across.

Biggar inevitably converted and added another penalty to make it 28-14 and the result seemingly safe with 13 minutes remaining.

Yet the Welsh were quickly brought back down to earth when centre Andrew Bishop's pass was intercepted by Biarritz scrum-half Dimitri Yachvili, who shipped the ball on for the pacy Balshaw to score from 50 metres.

Bosch's conversion ensured a nervous finale for the Ospreys, who should have been home and hosed, and they survived a disalllowed Balshaw try with just seven minutes left.

Biarritz did do at least have the consolation of leaving Swansea with a losing bonus, which could prove crucial in the final Pool Five reckoning.

TEAM DETAILS
Ospreys: Richard Fussell; Tommy Bowe, Andrew Bishop, Ashley Beck, Shane Williams; Dan Biggar, Kahn Fotuali'i; Duncan Jones, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Ian Evans, George Stowers, Justin Tipuric, Jonathan Thomas.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard for Bennett (47), Ryan Bevington for D Jones (57), Aaron Jarvis for Adam Jones (63), Ryan Jones for Evans (61), Joe Bearman for Tipuric (40), Rhys Webb, Matthew Morgan, Sonny Parker.

Biarritz: Dane Haylett-Petty; Taku Ngwenya, Marcelo Bosch, Damien Traille, Iain Balshaw; Julien Peyrelongue, Dimitri Yachvili; Fabien Barcella, Benoit August, Sylvain Marconnet, Jérôme Thion, Erik Lund, Benoit Guyot, Imanol Harinordoquy (capt), Raphael Lakafia.

Replacements: Arnaud Heguy for August (53), Yvan Watremez for Barcella (75), Francisco Gomez Kodela for Marconnet (62), Pelu Taele for E Lund (73), Florian Faure, Romain Terrain, Benoît Baby for Peyrelongue (50), Ilikena Bolakoro.

Referee: Andrew Small (England)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm; edited 5 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Empty Re: Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz - HEC Pool Five

Post by Morgannwg Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

Could you put the Biarritz team up when announced?

OSPREYS - I honestly don't see the reason for the persistence with a sub-standard full back. A clear void has been left by Hook which is evident by the inexperience at 10/12, this could prove costly and is the main reason you have the worst backline in Wales. You can be glad Adam Jones is fit and hopefully he will stay fit. The pack and it's reserves are excellent, but I wonder if they are as well drilled as they are when playing for Wales?

*EDIT - What's happened to Paul James?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz -  HEC Pool Five Empty Re: Ospreys 28-21 Biarritz - HEC Pool Five

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

Paul James is injured, Duncan Jones has been in great form on the loosehead, many fans touting him for a return to the Welsh Squad.

I disagree with you about the selection of Ashley Beck, he is a great player who fully deserves to be in the team. Biggar has played reasonable well of late, but we have the far more exciting Matthew Morgan on the bench too...

This should be a good game...

Posted the Biarritz team just now, only just appeared on their website.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

Should be a good game, I am a little worried as this is the first game back though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:22 pm

I'm optimistically going for an O's win. Biarritz very narrowly knocked us out at the QFs stage last year but that was also an away game. I really hope the boys can have a good positive start to their campaign. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

There's a lot of talent in that Biarritz side.

For Ospreys, slightly disappointed to see Bennett in instead of Hibbard.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

I am very optimistic too Cari

We seem to have built a decent squad around our academy and have brought in two good players in Fotuali'i and Stowers. Both seemed to have settled in quickly too.

Biarritz are a very good side, their team has some awesome players. You cant take guys like Hariordiquy or Yachvilli lightly in any match

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

BlueNote wrote:There's a lot of talent in that Biarritz side.

For Ospreys, slightly disappointed to see Bennett in instead of Hibbard.
Bennet has played very well during the World cup and it was always going to be interesting to see who won the battle for the 2 shirt. Likewise while the RWC was happening players like Duncan Jones, Rhys Webb and Eli Walker were putting in excellent claims to be selected ahead of their more infamous counterparts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

This will be a close game but I'm going to predict an Ospreys win on the old basis that French teams don't travel well.

Fussell at 15 is a worry though with the kicking power and the pace in that Biarritz side.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Bluenote - why? Benny had a very good world cup. Hopefully, he'll carry that on.

Maes - I don't think anyone will under estimate those Biarritz players....if it's any consolation, Biggar has scored more points than Yachvilli in this fixture Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

That is an impressive stat Cari, though I would rather have Yachvilli that Biggar in any team I was selecting.

Though i reckon the halfback battle will be a very interesting one, Yachvilli vs Fotuali'i will be full of fireworks. Peyrelongue and Biggar too. Peyrelongue is an interesting character that, like biggar, has been on the periphery of International stardom. He has been in and out of the French squad, selected because of his excellent partnership with Yachvilli.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

cari.
any idea if yr man with link shows HEC games? in boston this week?
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

I think you can watch the games on the sky website abroad....! there is a fee but if it works then it is worthwhile.

Just got back from Boston last night. Have a great time, its a fantastic city.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

The Ospreys should win. Home advantage is key here. Plus the O's have been in much better form.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

TBJ9625 wrote:cari.
any idea if yr man with link shows HEC games? in boston this week?

TB - I'll PM you another link OK

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

Cari wrote:I'm optimistically going for an O's win. Biarritz very narrowly knocked us out at the QFs stage last year but that was also an away game. I really hope the boys can have a good positive start to their campaign. Smile
That was the year before. Ospreys went out at the group stage last year.

I think Biarritz will edge it but Ospreys will maybe got a losing bonus point. I doubt that Ospreys will progress beyond the group again this year as the other sides look stronger to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Safeasmilk - it was 2010 they were knocked out of the QFs. Last seasons QFs would've been in April/May 2011.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

Cari wrote:Safeasmilk - it was 2010 they were knocked out of the QFs. Last seasons QFs would've been in April/May 2011.
Now you're just being picky! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 5:33 pm

9 Kahn Fotuali'i

furious Doh Erm warning Cry vomit thumbsdown Headscratch tomato steam boxing Sad Shocked Rolling Eyes mad censored nope

What does Webb have to do? Based on form, Webb is twice the SH Fotuali'i is, despite his showing at the WC, Fotuali'i has been abysmal for the Ospreys (I dont think its a coincidence that the 2 games he has played this season are the 2 games the Ospreys havent won)

Also, I think Stowers should be played at 8 with Bearman or Smith at 6.

Ospreys backrow doesnt look great, Hari could dismantle them

Ospreys backs are not great anymore - With Fotuali'i at SH I cant see the ball reaching the exciting wingers..... thumbsdown
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

Hasn't Fotuali'i played for his country? I guess they want to get their monies worth and think he'd be more experienced than Webb who hasn't played outside the domestic leagues. I'm still giving the O's the benefit of the doubt.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

I thought Fotuali'i had a great world cup for Samoa, many putting him as scrum half of the tournament. I also liked what he has done at the Os

Webb is a great talent, but it wont hurt to make him have to work to get in the team. Webb will be better for it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I thought Fotuali'i had a great world cup for Samoa, many putting him as scrum half of the tournament. I also liked what he has done at the Os

Webb is a great talent, but it wont hurt to make him have to work to get in the team. Webb will be better for it.

He may have been good in the WC, but he was the worst player on the field in the worst game of the season last week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:33 pm

Thats a shame. I as away last weekend so all i saw was highlights, which admittedly there weren't many in a 9-9 draw

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:49 pm

Well no doubting this game will go ahead!
I rushed home from work last night, and bombed to the Blues stadium only to find out their game with Aironi is next Thursday, looking at the Rabodirect website I didn't realize it didn't include European games so just looked at the next game on the list! So that ruined my afternoon and I felt like a bit of a plank driving down the M4 on the way home. I wonder how many people go to a stadium to see a game when there isn't a game on? Headscratch

Anyway Biarritz are a good team but their reserve team hasn't stepped up to the challenge during the world Cup so I assume confidence is low within the squad.
I'm getting very worried about Richard Fussell he looks very poor lately, and like a lot of Ospreys fans I'd like to see Dirksen at 15 instead.
With the B team (Biggar, Beck, Bowe, Bishop) and Shane Williams though you will always have a chance. While we have a very experiences and physical pack with a energetic and aggressive open side.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Well no doubting this game will go ahead!
I rushed home from work last night, and bombed to the Blues stadium only to find out their game with Aironi is next Thursday, looking at the Rabodirect website I didn't realize it didn't include European games so just looked at the next game on the list! So that ruined my afternoon and I felt like a bit of a plank driving down the M4 on the way home. I wonder how many people go to a stadium to see a game when there isn't a game on? Headscratch

This might be a useful link for you Wink

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/default.stm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

Jones v Barcella is nothing short of a clash of the titans. Stand back.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:58 pm

i think Webb should have started this game.
mafia, any hints or tips for boston? going to watch the Bruins tomorrow Smile
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

wales606 wrote:This might be a useful link for you Wink

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/default.stm
It's my home page :P

I'm normally pretty organised but what with moving house and rushing round I completely forgot it was a Hc weekend, even though I knew about the Biarittz and Ospreys game but I'd spent the day organising which of my friends was going to go.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:28 am

Wow, the vote is pretty close...? That surprises me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

Biarritz have won two scrums already. Gulp.

Bosch on kicking duty at the moment, and it misses. 0 - 0.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Traille gets a drop goal 0 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by QuickBall Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

anyone with a streaming link (at work) ... shh Wink
QuickBall
QuickBall

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

Some good phases from the O's and thankfully we're saved by a rare mistake by Yachvilli...Biarritz once again on the attack tho.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

YHM QB...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

Thankfully another penalty attempt is missed. Biarritz could've been nine up now!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

Good attacking position here for the O's now. Line out at the 22.

They still have that stupid logo on their arses as well.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

O's wasted that - they dont look impressive at the moment.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Sloppy play from the O's. Good opportunity to score, and Tipuric buggers it up. We lose possession.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Biggar goes for a penalty.

3 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

A good bit of interplay there until Stowers knocked it on.

O's get another penalty anyway (I missed what happened due to advert on the stream popping up).

6 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

O's waking up a bit now, except Ianto who misses the pass. A rare mistake from Harinordoquy allows the O's to keep possession.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Adam Jones not having a very good game today.

Biarritz making a lot of knock ons which is helping the O's.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

A little bit chaotic now. Both sides trying to kick for territory, but not very well. O's have been saved by some errors by Biarritz, but they need to improve in the second half if they want a clear win.

Bit of handbags from Stowers, nothing serious.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:24 pm

Headscratch hmm Ospreys not sure why you did that...

HT 6 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

Tipuric injured apparently, so Beerman's on.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

Cari wrote:Tipuric injured apparently, so Beerman's on.

Not good for the Ospreys.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

I don't know how serious it is, so hopefully Tipuric'll be back soon. Biggar misses a DG attempt, but he has a penalty to take anyway.

9 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Harinordoquy takes Tommy out in the air. Naughty...should be an instant ban Wink

Excellent penalty 12 - 3.

You know, this will sound controversial, but Biggar's actually having a good game. Not just kicking wise.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

Bosch kicks another penalty 12 - 6.

Hibbard on, Benny off.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 12 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

C'mon Ospreys, just need them to win now and all 4 regions will have won.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next