The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A clean sweep for the regions

+9
wales606
George Carlin
maestegmafia
BuzzScarlet
Glas a du
Thomond
Smirnoffpriest
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
13 posters

Go down

A clean sweep for the regions Empty A clean sweep for the regions

Post by mckay1402 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

Well who would have predicted that? All three Welsh regions beating their French opponents in the HEC and the slightly more predictable fourth region beating their opponents as well. Some very important wins too. Good work. Also happy that Edinburgh won and hoping for a Glasgow win tomorrow!
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

A clean sweep for the regions Empty Re: A clean sweep for the regions

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:11 pm

mckay,

You beat me to it, very good weekend for the Regions (could be different next week mind with away legs and Dragons home to Perp) and the Pro12 teams in general.

Very good win for Edinburgh, Munster pipping Saints, Ulster getting win against Clermont, Leinster getting draw away, and Aironi denying Tigers a BP.

Hope Glasgow can keep it up tomorrow.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:19 pm

Think it's a bit insulting to dismiss the Dragons as the 4th region. Their team is coming together very nicely.

Great that all the regions won, def enjoyed a good Scarlets win against Castres.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

The Blues win was very surprising. A great result over there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

I think all us regional fans need to enjoy the victories while we can, coz personally I can see us struggling in the european games in December thanks to that ridiculous international match the WRU have organised. Seriously it's really going to hurt our chances, which is so annoying when we have all played so well this weekend!

So completely chuffed that all four regions won this weekend, and with a lot of them playing really really good rugby. The regions are hugely important to Welsh rugby, I'm just really annoyed the WRU are effectively going to hamstring us in December. So irritating!

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

Smirnoff

Wasn't intending to dismiss the dragons, just that their opposition wasn't up to the same standard...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:18 pm

Yes but 16 thousand attendance between the two matches in West Wales today - terrible. And this is Heineken Cup. A Welsh region needs to win it soon o'r club rugby in Wales will die o'n it's arse.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm

glas, what was the scarlets attendance today? i dint hear the anounncement. cheers.

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm

Dreamer told me 8.5k, but that was her estimate. 7.5k at the library was my dads estimate.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:54 pm

cheers glas, 8.5 was up a bit on our crowd v ulster, i love 3pm kick off's but a lot of supporters play west wales rugby on a sat, so cant make the games, be nice to get bigger crowds against munster and northampton though.

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

Thomond wrote:The Blues win was very surprising. A great result over there.
In advance of the game it was a little surprising but to watch it they looked as comfortable as any of the other regions, whilst probably having the most difficult feature, what with being away from home and all..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

rugby,

Don't you mean the money grabbing barstewards at the WRU who arranged the match.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm

Bedford,

Is that really how you see it?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

mm,

For a lot of it yes afraid it is.

I honestly don't think they give a flying you know what about us real fans, all they are interested in is the corporate and hospitality money.

Arranging a game which is pretty pointless just aftre the WC two weeks before Xmas in the middle of a credit crunch and still charge £56 a pop for tickets.

The friday night game at home against England, they didn't give a damn about travelling fans, they got a bigger share of tv money to be used as guinea pigs. Everyone knows that for all its benefits Cardiff is a mare to get out after a game even on normal time
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

Considering the financial issues the WRU has had, and is now solving by doing things like this, meaning more money gets invested into rugby rather than in paying off debts...

Surely money making international matches are a good thing?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:24 am

Not necessarily Maesteg, last season we had a money spinning AI test against NZ (one of 4 instead of 3 games) and North was played while carrying an injury and as a result had to have shoulder surgery in his 1st season after only playing less than 20 games (regional and international).

The players are burned out, the regions are severly effected, the fans are ripped off, especially by the extorionate ticket & drinks prices. It's good for one offs, but every season we are trying to squeeze in more and more games.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:27 am

In principle yes mm, but its done with little or no consideraton at all to us fans.

I certainly can't afford a to go to the Australia game next month or more valid way of putting it I can't justiy spening £100 few weeks before Xmas.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

Not many can Bedford, but that is no reason for the WRU to not host the game, where some can not others can. I am sure plenty will go.

It is not the responsibility of the WRU to only host matches when they think that the socioeconomic climate in Wales is healthy enough for a match. We would never play if that was the case.

I know I am in a fortunate position financially but many of my friends are not and do struggle to go to games. Though quite a number of them pick up a bit of work on the side to help save for such occasions. A bit of decorating or using another skill to earn a few quid out of hours, over the weekend etc...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Not necessarily Maesteg, last season we had a money spinning AI test against NZ (one of 4 instead of 3 games) and North was played while carrying an injury and as a result had to have shoulder surgery in his 1st season after only playing less than 20 games (regional and international).

The players are burned out, the regions are severly effected, the fans are ripped off, especially by the extorionate ticket & drinks prices. It's good for one offs, but every season we are trying to squeeze in more and more games.
Most top tier nations are playing 12 games a year. That is a lot, wales are no different, it seems to be the modern way.

It is tough on the players, and I noticed that Australia's announced squad are rather depleted due to injury. But i don't disagree that this game should go ahead, I certainly don't think the WRU are doing anything wrong. I am also convinced that if Welsh regions were not involved in the HEC, that we did not have AI's the fans would be complaining of there not being enough top class rugby to go and watch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

I think Maesteg has a point Bedford unfortunately. Basically, even though a lot of fans won't be able to afford it they're banking on there being enough who can. That invariably means more corporate tickets, but if they sell say 50,000 then it will be seen as justified.

I agree that the timing is poor, mainly because it effects the regions plans in Europe, especially as they've already had a load of disruption due to the world cup. However, I also sympathise with the WRU a bit. They've got pressure to pay back their debts, they have to keep up their payments to the regions plus all the other welsh rugby costs, yet they've just essentially lost one of their biggest revenue streams in the autumn internationals series. Those 4 games probably brings in millions. With that gone where does the money come from to pay the debts, the regions, keep the grass roots going, etc. I think the WRU felt pressured into hosting this Oz game just to recoup some of the lost revenue. They've also just sent a full squad of players, coaches, masseurs, physios, doctors, analysts, etc. to NZ for 8 weeks. That would have cost millions too!

So, bad timing but money is the necessary evil that keeps the game going. They're probably down over 10 million with the loss of AIs and the cost of the world cup. This will help to balance the books a bit maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the AI series of games (though Regional matches shouldn't be played) and undertsand the finances behind it, its just I don't think there is much thought gone into the scheduling or pricing of the games.

I genuinely believe that as long as they get the corporate money thats all they are interested in, yes I know the more money the WRU get the more money for regions/grass roots etc and I know the Oz game will get a good crwod due to the WC and possibly Shanes last game but ticket pricing is bad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

I thought that the Scarlets match was excellent.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

George Carlin wrote:I thought that the Scarlets match was excellent.

I saw the highlights, they scored some amazing tries (particularly Ben Morgans) but their defence seemed a bit sloppy, and their forwards looked in trouble in rolling mauls. They are really going to struggle to get a vital away win in that group.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

To be fair to the Scarlets the Castres pack was huge, our bigger problems were being so sloppy - we almost gifted them a try from the kick off, we should have scored 2 more tries (one was disallowed for being foward, but didn't look it) to give us loads of breathing space and a TBP, and also kept putting pressure on ourselves. I agree that we'll struggle to get an important away win, but you never know, stranger things have happened - I really hope we can win our home games.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Think it's a bit insulting to dismiss the Dragons as the 4th region. Their team is coming together very nicely.

Great that all the regions won, def enjoyed a good Scarlets win against Castres.

Ospreys are the fourth region surely.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Not necessarily Maesteg, last season we had a money spinning AI test against NZ (one of 4 instead of 3 games) and North was played while carrying an injury and as a result had to have shoulder surgery in his 1st season after only playing less than 20 games (regional and international).

Most top tier nations are playing 12 games a year. That is a lot, wales are no different, it seems to be the modern way.

It is tough on the players, and I noticed that Australia's announced squad are rather depleted due to injury. But i don't disagree that this game should go ahead, I certainly don't think the WRU are doing anything wrong. I am also convinced that if Welsh regions were not involved in the HEC, that we did not have AI's the fans would be complaining of there not being enough top class rugby to go and watch.

Thats not entirely true for this one game as in the general course of a season the players wouldn't have just come back from a gruelling tournament halfway around the world straight into the toughest NH club competition and then be expected to meet up and play a highest intensity international against one of the best sides of the year before being given only a week off before preparing for the high intensity derby matches.
Other nations also aren't playing a Dec game (I know you can say England & France RFU's have more money than us) and this is a real concern for player burn out we squeeze an extra game in everywhere - in the Summer ints, a 4th in the AI's and now this Dec one, while having one of the smallest player pools and playing mostly the same side.

Also re the fans - I understand the WRU thinking if it can sell 50,000 tickets and swell it's coffers for reinvestment in the game then why not - but wouldn't it be a good idea to prolong the positive feeling from the WC and offer cheaper tickets (as it's so close to Christmas) and sell out the stadium and make almost enough money and might encourage more kids to demand Welsh tops and merchandise for xmas and generate more of a buzz around the team.

Just my thoughts anyway

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

I couldn't possibly disagree with you about cheaper tickets. I loved the initiative that they made for the Pre RWC warm up games.

I am not sure how ticketing and pricing works at the WRU. But I do think it is hard to say that they are some kind of evil giant ruling and thieving the hard earned coin of the average working man in Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

I can now confirm that this has been my best Heineken cup weekend ever with all four welsh regions winning and both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Great finish at Firhill. Glasgow are definitely going to miss Richie but what sloppy defence...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 13 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

Excellent results for Glasgow and Edinburgh. Scottish rugby needed that.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

It has been a great set of results and makes the groups really interesting - hopefully the Blues can manage to top their group and the Scottish teams can take some more scalps and finish high up their groups.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

Just checked and can't believe only 1 French team won (Toulouse vs Glouc) and only 2 English teams won (Leicester and Saracens) - good results from my PoV but still quite suprising

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Five out of Five so far...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:49 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Just checked and can't believe only 1 French team won (Toulouse vs Glouc) and only 2 English teams won (Leicester and Saracens) - good results from my PoV but still quite suprising
What about Quins?

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

You would expect 2/3 Welsh regions to win in the HC this weekend.

Ospreys should beat Treviso and Cardiff should beat London Irish.

That would leave another good weekend for Welsh regions.

3/4

7/8 wins after two rounds for European rugby would be brilliant for the Welsh regions.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Apologies and of course Quinns

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

beshocked wrote:You would expect 2/3 Welsh regions to win in the HC this weekend.

Ospreys should beat Treviso and Cardiff should beat London Irish.

That would leave another good weekend for Welsh regions.

3/4

7/8 wins after two rounds for European rugby would be brilliant for the Welsh regions.

Yes you are correct. Most Scarlets fans would say coming away from Saints with anything other than conceding a TBP would be a success. A losing BP or a draw would be great, a win wonderful and a TBP win exceptional.

As mentioned before the way that Scarlets deal with what saints can do at the set piece is a big factor, as is how Scarlets deal with a tough backrow on the floor will be difficult. Tom Wood is one of the few English players to come away from the RWC with reputation intact. He will be, as per usual, a consistent menace for the Scarlets.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:49 am

Mostly because Wood wasn't played almost at all in the WC! But I do think he is one of the best English fowards currently and has massive potential - just hope he has an off game tonight...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm

7 out of 7

Get ready for the Ospreys to ruin that tomorrow...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

Come on Wales - awesome set of results tonight and last night!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:06 pm

Some great rugby so far despite the results

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 19 Nov 2011, 8:49 am

No pressure Ospreys Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Glas a du wrote:No pressure Ospreys Laugh

Not really. The Ospreys are playing for themselves and their standing in the group. Not for the 'pride of the regions' ( in a Brian Blessed style voice) This whole celtic v jeff v everyone else v france grinds my gears...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Glas the ospreys hate pressure unfortunately. Really hope this doesn't go wrong for them against Treviso. A decent team away these days let alone at home.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

Chchhhhhhchhhhgrrrchhhhchunk bruuuuuummm, bruuuuuuummm.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

Hey! I've you been driving my car? Sounds like that on a good day.. Yikes
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:09 am

Breadvan

I do agree with you that the ospreys are playing for themselves and no one else, and by god I would love to see them finally play their best rugby in the HEC...!

It is also great to see the other regions doing well. I, like I presume many others, am still not as passionate a supporter of my region as I was my local club and therefor take enjoyment out of welsh rugby as a whole doing well at regional level.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down