The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals

+10
Jeremy_Kyle
barrystar
eraldeen
gallery play
Jahu
erictheblueuk
Tenez
bogbrush
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
14 posters

Go down

World Tour Finals Empty World Tour Finals

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

Well the World Tour Finals are almost upon us and I do believe the draw takes place tomorrow. I am not sure how they will work out the seedings but at the end of the day I can only see one of the top four winning the tournament.

Novak Djokovic obviously on his total season form would be favourite but his on-going injury must be a concern and blunt his chances.

Rafael Nadal has gambled on coming into the WTF with not a great deal of match sharpness in the last month or so and he may regret that.

Roger Federer is the form man winning the last two tournaments and for me that is a big plus and on those grounds I'd just make him favourite.

Andy Murray has been in very good form of late but has that niggling injury but will be interesting to see how he fairs - outside of Federer the form man at the moment.

Thoughts?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Empty Re: World Tour Finals

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

Difficult to call, as we just don't know how bad Djoko is or what sort of form/fitness Rafa is in. Rafa, also, has the DC final to think about. Fed is on form and fit, Murray cannot be discounted and, possibly, one of the 5 to 8 ranked guys might do something.
Rafa looked for all the world as if he'd win this thing last year, but Murray wore him out in a wonderful semi and he didn't have much left against Fed.
Fed will be hoping for something of the same this year, and certainly got it at the Paris tourney - playing a semi and a final against guys coming off a three-hour match. But then the ability to win quickly and stay fit is all part of the package.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:45 am

I'd make Murray favourite except that I've not yet seen him do it at the top, top level against the top, top players.

If I suspend that proviso on the basis that nobody does it until they've done it, he's my favourite.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

Considering that most matches are sorted by a few points there and then, trying to ick a winner is pretty hard.

In normal circumstances, I'd say Nadal is the most likely of the top 4 to suffer from the "lower 4s" at present on HC but he has had a good rest and we don;t know how fit are the other top 3.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

I can't see Novak being fully fit or ready for this, he's gotta rest and get that shoulder ready for next season.

I think Rafa will be more focused on the DC final as was Novak last year.

Murray I thought was looking a bit tired and slow against Berdych, hopefully a weeks rest will sort him out.

Federer just looks in awesome form, can he keep it going ?

erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:20 pm

I think Novak has been faking it a little in Basel & Paris and saving himself for WTF coming stronger than we all think and surprise us.

Nadal could also come with a vengeance, rested and had a few sessions with uncle how to beat Djoko.

Murray if fit, I assume he will give it it's best effort we've ever seen.

Fed doing fine, but it's up and down with his head and mood, so let's see.

Others can't think of anyone going to Final, except if some injury for top 4.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Logically Federer should be the favourite given that he's won his last two tourneys and considering how he blitzed the opposition on the same court last year. However it remains to be seen what the conditions will be like.

If Federer plays his best then he is definitely the man to beat.

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

I even think if he maintains his current form, we could very well see a copy of last years WTF

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

Fed's rarely had a poor WTF. Nearly beat Nalby on one leg one year. Still trying to work out how he lost to Davydenko in 2010.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

Federer will win his sixth WTF.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:30 pm

Federer seems to be really up for it again this year and his form is good, Murray similarly so. Unless Djoko's having a laugh it should be beyond him and his shoulder.

Nadal is an unknown quantity right now, his indoor season has faltered, but he surely wants to win the WTF as the one major feather missing from his cap and he'll be working towards a peak for the DC final.

I don't think any of Nos. 5-8 are of the calibre to win it, although each are of the calibre to have a major say in the outcome by chucking in a suprise win or tiring out one of the top 4 .

I would not have predicted Fed to win it last year, and I don't this year. He can win, but he needs others to do a useful job for him I think. I go for Murray or Nadal, but I'd be happy if Fed proves me wrong.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Barrystar - not sure why you were not predicting Fed last year. He was, arguably, in better form and practice at the tail-end of 2010 than this year, having had an exceptional run. Do take the point about others helping him out, though. He was certainly assisted by Rafa's long semi in London last year and has just beaten two guys in Paris who had had three-hour matches.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Barrystar - not sure why you were not predicting Fed last year. He was, arguably, in better form and practice at the tail-end of 2010 than this year, having had an exceptional run. Do take the point about others helping him out, though. He was certainly assisted by Rafa's long semi in London last year and has just beaten two guys in Paris who had had three-hour matches.

I think Fed is getting too old to be the favourite for a Tournament that is such a physical grind with no let up in quality. He seems to chuck in a poor performance on average every half dozen matches and that catches you out at a slam or the WTF. He can of course still play wonderful tennis and I never right him off, but his alter ego Shanky is too frequently present for him to be my favourite.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

Fed-Murray final, imo.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Fed: the WTF is probably more than any other his tournament. Back in great shape and hungry to keep his ranking on track: 50 % chance to win for TMF.

Murray: right now he has the upper hand to Nadal on the hard court, outside the slams. Should he get to the final, with the 20 K or so cheering up him, the chance will be there for the takings: 15 % chance.

Nole: depending on his real condition, he could either win this or exit early. Don't think he'll be 100% though: 15 %.

Nadal: he has planned his training on the clay courts for the DC. Not in great shape of recent times anyway: 10 %.

Others: 10 % , with Tsonga and Fish (if in good condition) the most likely condidate to be the outsiders.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

I hope Federer gets into Nadal's half. That's the only chance of Nole winning it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

I am thinking that Nadal will be a 1st round victim. Nole could be as well if he plays like he has recently and is still struggling with his shoulder. I think the last 4 will be Federer, Murray, Tsonga, Djokovic/Berdych.

Nadal I just think won't have any form to come into the tournament with. Fish will be touch and go and Ferrer seems to struggle with his movement indoors.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

I hope Federer and Nadal are in different halfs. Not sure about Djokovics fitness and I want a decent final

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Federer has to be favourite. He took his six weeks off after the DC and has comeback fresh and fit as evidenced in the last two tournaments. So he is the in form man. Unless Djokovic has been really overprotective of his injury I can't see how he can play 5 seperate games in a maximum of 8 days against top level opposition. Similarily with Nadal even if he is fresh and fit he will be coming back from his break against top ranked players not as in other tournments where you normally get at least a couple of games against low ranked players to get back into the groove.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

Rafa at the WTFs. Is it the courts that are too fast for him or is he always worn out at the end of a season?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 14 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Rafa at the WTFs. Is it the courts that are too fast for him or is he always worn out at the end of a season?

Everyone appears to have forgotton that Rafa got to the final last year without losing a match. It took Federer 3 sets to beat him in the final.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down