The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers V Ulster

+38
valjester
doctor_grey
ME-109
BigTrevsbigmac
clivemcl
Dave.
dublin_dave
humphstheman
maverickmak
Thomond
GunsGerms
geoff998rugby
Golden
Ulsterexile
formerly known as Sam
Notch
neilthom7
1F'sgonnagetya!
WillyGilly
Standulstermen
Rava
The Great Aukster
Artful_Dodger
nathan
screamingaddabs
Rory_Gallagher
Kingshu
red_stag
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Don Alfonso
Portnoy
Backrower678
Feckless Rogue
rodders
LondonTiger
Metal Tiger
42 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Tigers V Ulster - Page 2 Empty Tigers V Ulster

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Is it too early in the week to start this thread?

Don't care.

My local rugby calendar is clear for the day and I have two tickets for this beauty! The wife and I will be at Welford Road (she likes a bit of Toby) to cheer on the boys and looking forward to a great day.

Bring on the Irish Invasion!

TIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS!
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Tigers V Ulster - Page 2 Empty Re: Tigers V Ulster

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 am

Apparantly hes fully fit Rava.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15725881.stm

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 am

I thought Ferris was fit to play Rava?

To be honest I wouldn't risk him if there are doubts. There is Faloon or Diack who can slot in.

I wouldn't be losing sleep about the big man.

I am more worried about the scrum Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am

Rava wrote:I note the Tigers fans are happy to bring up the mauling they gave us at Welford Road in 2004 but fail to mention the thrashing we gave them just a week before. 30-0 at half-time if I remember. Dhumph was on fire that day. I expect his young brother will be chomping at the bit atm. Playing against his old team will inspire him.

Metal Tiger, I will be on the Holland & Barrett terracing. Leave a pint for me behind the bar mate thumbsup

I normally stand club house end of the terracing, behind the dugouts but up nearer the back. If I actually bump into you (jaysus it can get busy in there) then i will buy you one in person! guinness

I'll be the one wearing a Tigers shirt. Yahoo
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:24 am

roddersm wrote:

I am more worried about the scrum Sad

""Another option for coach Brian McLaughlin is to bring in Paddy McAllister at loosehead and switch Irish prop Tom Court to tightside.""

I hope he doesn't do that and just brings Fitzpatrick in for Afoa.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't think it is unreasonable to say he is in another league (in my opinion at least). Croft just doesn't hit the standard set by Ferris, Kaino, Burger, Lydiate etc. In fact out of all the 6 nations blindsides, for me Croft would come last or second last. I would take Ferris, Lydiate, Dusautoir and Brown over Croft, and he would be competing with Zanni for the last spot.

Aaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

when will people realise that Dusautoir is NOT France's blindside. France historically number their back row differently and do not always play a blind and open. however Dusautoir is their openside and Bonnaire the blindside.

Personally I would take Croft ahead of Bonnaire, Brown and Lydiate. If the lions selected Warburton at openside I would go with Ferris at 6, but if they selected SOB I would consider Croft.

Actually it is you who are wrong my friend. France play neither a blindside or openside. They play a left-right flanker system. However as Dusautoir is wearing the 6 shirt, I used him to compare to Croft. You are mixing France up with SA, who play their openside at 6 and blindside at 7.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:34 am

Tom Court at tighthead against Ayerza could be messy.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

truth is Dusautoir really is a 7, if he moved to an English/Irish club he'd wear a 7 shirt

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 am

He is a tackling machine, which is his main attribute. I don't think it would matter whether he was playing 6 or 7. He isn't that much of a fetcher (as someone pointed out to me before on this forum when I suggested he was) which is what many people are calling for in their 7s.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

I really think Ulster have a chance in this game. I know its at welford road and the Tigers are a great side but if we win this game then the group is there for the taking. Leicester have been poor all season and are only getting going now with all there internationals back.

I know Ulster havent been setting the world alight either but has there ever been a better time to play the Tigers away? Im not sure. There never is a good time to do it anyway.It will take a massive performance and the Tigers will rightfully be favourites but if i was Mclaughlin i would be emphasising the plus side all week.

Couple this to the fact that they failed to get the BP when it was clearly on for them last week and this is Ulsters opporunity. They cant afford to pass it up.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 am

Stand furious how many feicin bonus points did we fail to get last year. Cost us a home Magners semi-final.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 am

We got all the BP wins we need in the heineken but thats not the point. A win at the weekend and we go into a double header with aironi top of the group while clermont and the Tigers tear strips off eachother. The result on saturday has the potential to completely turnaround our season and i dont think that should be underestimated.

McLaughlin should be emphasising this. Win at the weekend and nobody remembers losing at Ravenhill to Treviso but instead starts thinking about winning a group that has Clermont and Tigers! This would mean a much fuller Ravenhill, better buzz about the team and a real sense of progression from last season.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 am

Er actually we didn't stand thats why we finished runner up despite winning more games than Bairritz??

I would say we've dropped a point already because Clermont picked up a bonus.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:He is a tackling machine, which is his main attribute. I don't think it would matter whether he was playing 6 or 7. He isn't that much of a fetcher (as someone pointed out to me before on this forum when I suggested he was) which is what many people are calling for in their 7s.

I was aware that France kind of play left and right, but they do not even do that. They are more flexible than most teams in that they see teh back row as a unit needing complementary skills rather than pigeonholing the 7 to be XY&Z.

I see Dusautoir as more of a 7 because of his skill set. He is not a "fetcher" but this is a fairly recent development in openside play. It used to be that the opensides job was to tackle/tackle/tackle. Hit the 10, get up hit the next back etc. In recent years dusatoir has worn 6 with Bonnaire, Imanol and Chabal wearing 7. I know who has more of teh openside skill sets Smile

Any back back on topic:

Boom, Boom;
Boom, Boom, Boom;
Boom,boom,Boom,BOOM!

TIGERS!!

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am

roddersm wrote:Er actually we didn't stand thats why we finished runner up despite winning more games than Bairritz??

No rodders we got the BP win against Aironi home and away. we were never in a position to get another Winning BP was the point i was making.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 am

If we win this game it puts us in a very very strong position,

2 games v aironi 8-10 points

while Tigers play Clermont, meaning one of them will prob know they are out of the competion when we play them again.

A Prem focased Tigers in Ravenhill, or away to a Top 14 focused Clermot. Either would be easier than if everyone still has a chance to qualify.

However I don't think Ulster will win this, nor do I see us beating Clermot away. It'll come down to LBP's and the games v Aironi.

Said on a different thread while everyone was talking about picking up 10 points against Aironi that I doubted that everyone will get the full 10, and been proved right so far.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 am

roddersm wrote:Er actually we didn't stand thats why we finished runner up despite winning more games than Bairritz??

This is why I feel Clermont will be the happiest team in the Group so far.

Ulster will probably be top of the table come Christmas (similar to Scarlets last year who beat Perpignan and Treviso twice) even if they lose at welford Road. Winning at WR however sets them up nicely lose and it is interesting - certainly I would not want to be travelling to Montferand in January needing a win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 am

Sorry Stand.

I don't think we can just leave it to the Airono games. It will be extremely difficult to get 9 or 10 points against them.

I'd imagine we may get nothing in Clermont.

I think a point on Saturday is a minimum to keep us in the hunt.

Are we home or away to Aironi before xmas?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:53 am

Thats kind of my point LT. I dont see Ulster getting anything from Clermont so we need to target this game. We dont pick up BP's as readily as other teams which was why i was delighted to see Tigers not get one @ Aironi. Remmeber Aironi beat Biarritz last season and then ulster demolished them in the heineken.

If we were able to sneak a win this weekend then 5 wins (and a group win therein) is within reach and that is something that needs emphasised.

Rodders

in what universe have i said 'leave it to the aironi games'. i am saying that there is a massive need to win this game and that should we do so we are in pole position to qualify (and by extension that the upside should be drilled into the players this week).

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 am

Stand you haven't I was referring to Kingshus post about the other thread suggesting we could get 10 points against Aironi.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 am

Sorry Stand I was just making a remark about our overall ability to (not) get bonus points either for winning or losing.

I agree this is the crucial game. A positive result and it will be all guns blazing again. The back to backs against Aironi will not come quick enough. I also doubt if we can get 10 points against Aironi, but would be very disappointed if we didn't get 9.
No positive result at WR and our season could stall at this stage.

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 am

This game is winnable though and I think we need to approach it that way. It would be a huge boost if we could win this one.

It won't be a disaster if we come away with nothing but it will make life very difficult.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 am

I was meaning Tigers fans, thinking them and Clermont would pick up the 10 points easy from them.

Us Ulster fans are all to aware how hard it is to get them, after all we've played them more than any other team in their history, if a team knows them it's us, and they know us better than anyother team in the world.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 am

Biggest game of the season. its great!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:34 am

Is anyone else disappointed we won't get to see young Spence school Tuilagi again....... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:40 am

Stats for us Ulster fans to chew upon

Leicester at home (i.e. Welford Road*) in the HC since it started

Played 48, Won 40, Drew 2 & Lost 6.

I'd say that was fairly impressive though it also proves they are beatable.

*played two "home" QF games at Walker Stadium
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:54 am

I wish that home Euro recof meant anything Sad

The last team to win at Welford Road in the HC was (I think) Munster. Of course that season we took Munster's unbeaten record at Thomond Park away from them and won the group.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 am

LondonTiger wrote:The last team to win at Welford Road in the HC was (I think) Munster.

Shocked flip.....Munster weren't a bad side back in those days either....... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 am

As always, I think IF Ulster play their best, they will beat the Tigers. If our usual inconsistent but potentially devastating players (Marshall, Humph, D'Arcy) do not perform, we will lose. Simple as that to me! Ulster are like the Frenchies of the provinces.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Standulstermen wrote: I know Ulster havent been setting the world alight either but has there ever been a better time to play the Tigers away?

Err... You should have played us about a month ago when we were missing around 17 players due to international & injury. You would have mauled our academy to death!

We are getting stronger again and the boys will be desperate to perform well infront of the Welford Road Faithful and get both our HEC & Jeff campaigns back on track.

But is also true to say that we are still weak in the backline (This showed last week when we had academy boys like morris & forsyth in the starting line up) so if Ulster can effectively target the ic/oc channel, put the young lads under pressure then our defence will crab in, then Ulster should be able to open up gaps elsewhere and get through us.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:10 am

A win is a big ask for Ulster here. Given we're missing Afoa, Pienaar and Payne, I'd happily take a losing bonus point.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 am

Rodders, yes we play Aironi home first and then away before Xmas.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 am

Give you a heads up leciester watch out for Cave, ignore him and you could be in for a big shock. other than that i hope for a good game and off course SUFTUM Very Happy

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:58 am

WillyGilly wrote:A win is a big ask for Ulster here. Given we're missing Afoa, Pienaar and Payne, I'd happily take a losing bonus point.

On the Wednesday before the game? You can't be serious Willy. Nothing less than a try bonus point win at this stage. Might settle for a LBP on Sunday afternoon on my way back to Luton Airport Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:54 am

Rava notice there are quite a few new Ulstermen on these pages as evidenced by the 2 above. It's no longer me, you, Notch and stand arguing amongst ourselves!
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 am

Hey I've been here, long enough as well.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 am

Kingshu wrote:Hey I've been here, long enough as well.

Kings I think Willy was referring to 1F's and neilthom7. We are growing in strength on and off the pitch lads. SUFTUM! clap . Reading through the various articles we are being taken very seriously by our rivals as well. thumbsup

Where the feic is Geoff?? Erm
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:58 am

We can win this. It's going to be VERY hard and we're massive underdogs but an away win should be our target this week.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:08 am

yeah i just joined up was on the old 606 was ulster1459 there. SUFTUM

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:18 am

The reward for a win is so massive the players shouldnt need any motivation. I think if we lose this we wont get out of the group (even with a LBP) and the amlinn is the best we can hope for (still an acheivment). Win and it could be our finest season since.......

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:10 am

I've noticed this place is becoming quite Ulster-heavy as well. A sorely-needed beacon of taste and sophistication in the unremitting mire of the interweb. SUFTUM.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Standulstermen wrote:The reward for a win is so massive the players shouldnt need any motivation. I think if we lose this we wont get out of the group (even with a LBP) and the amlinn is the best we can hope for (still an acheivment). Win and it could be our finest season since.......

.....an English man won the HC for you? Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 pm

I've had to make my way back over here from the international board for some solice & sanity. Way too many gloating welshman clogging up the Johnno threads banging on about how they are world class 1 to 15 and will be winning the 6N's now we are no longer a threat. At least you Irish do it with a sense of humour.

Anywho... back to this Saturdays game.

Tragic news... I'm afraid the wife can't make it now Very Happy ... so I will be in the clubhouse after we thrash you to drown my sorrows!

My sources are telling me that there's going to be a few surprises for Ulster. It looks like Manu will be back... BOOM!

...and we've called up a one legged old lady in her 70's to balance the Ferris threat. Run
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:The reward for a win is so massive the players shouldnt need any motivation. I think if we lose this we wont get out of the group (even with a LBP) and the amlinn is the best we can hope for (still an acheivment). Win and it could be our finest season since.......

.....an English man won the HC for you? Run

Honorary Ulsterman i think you will find Wink

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:
My sources are telling me that there's going to be a few surprises for Ulster. It looks like Manu will be back... BOOM!

Oh dear I hope he doesn't buy the dummy again if young Spence comes on, that would be embarrassing in front of your home crowd Very Happy .....

Stand I agree I think a LBP probably won't be enough, we have to go for the win.

SUFTUM!! guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I think if we get the LBP theres a good chance that we will finish on 19 points and so will Tigers, LBP and we could still finish on 20 which would be enough to qualify most likely.

Not winning this definately doesnt mean we are out, especially given that Leicester didnt get the TBP at Aironi.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Not winning this definately doesnt mean we are out, especially given that Leicester didnt get the TBP at Aironi.

Very true. With a win each under our belts either of us could still be in contention but it just makes it so much harder for us if we don't win today. But you can't take anything for granted.

If my addled old memory is correct I do remember a few years back Tigers getting something like 22 pts in a runner up spot and not automatically qualifying... we had to rely on results of others! That hurts more... if you don't qualify because you didn't play well you can, somehow, accept it. But it makes you choke when you HAVE played well and still don't qualify because some other team has sailed through a urine poor group.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

This should be a pretty tight game. Tigers forwards are in form but the back division is a mess in defence and attack. Ulster may well take a kicking at the set piece but in the loose they can really take the game to the tigers. I'm hoping Ben and Billy are back otherwise it could be a long day at welford rd.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say he is in another league (in my opinion at least). Croft just doesn't hit the standard set by Ferris, Kaino, Burger, Lydiate etc. In fact out of all the 6 nations blindsides, for me Croft would come last or second last. I would take Ferris, Lydiate, Dusautoir and Brown over Croft, and he would be competing with Zanni for the last spot.

so you like your big boys. tigers expect more from their 6. croft was in better form in 2009 with the lions but ferris was looking the better player at the rwc.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
croft was in better form in 2009 with the lions but ferris was looking the better player at the rwc.

I think you need to rewatch the Lions tour again. Ferris was in outstanding form, maybe the best of his career at that point, until he got injured. Croft played very well but Ferris almost certainly would have been involved in the test team.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:00 pm

roddersm wrote:Oh dear I hope he doesn't buy the dummy again if young Spence comes on, that would be embarrassing in front of your home crowd Very Happy .....

Your not wrong Roddersm, he is known for breaking the line early looking for the big hit, sometimes he gets it wrong, but most of the time he gets it, oh, so very, very right! BOOM!

Actually, let's just see if the rumour is confirmed first, and he is playing. Otherwise this is a non argument.

Last edited by Metal Tiger on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Ah the old Ferris V Croft debate

Ferris was in great form for the Lions and looked to have nailed the 6 shirt before injury.

But I think both are great, for a one off game, I'd have Ferris, if for over a season I'd take Croft.

One on one Ferris edges it as the better player, however his injury problems bring him down again, so I'd say even stevens.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next