The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight?

+5
TRUSSMAN66
bellchees
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
9 posters

Go down

Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight? Empty Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight?

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

In light of the debate caused by the decision, a couple of things have been largely overlooked:

Was it a good fight and did we, as boxing fans, enjoy it?

The underdog Marquez who had very little prefight support (secondsout.com's writers were 20 - 0 in favour of Manny beforehand) producing a superb display to pick off PacMan, control the pace and avoid the punishment expected to come his way.

Then PacMan, despite being well below his best, upping his effort for the last few rounds to try and turn the tables on the score cards. Taking more risks and initiating more exchanges.

Whlist by no means a classic, ignoring the decision, it was decent viewing as a contest.

Back to top Go down

Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight? Empty Re: Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight?

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:46 pm

I agree that it was a pretty good fight to watch; even when Pacquiao's not firing on all cylinders, you know he has that ability to turn it up in a split second and put his man down. Have to say, though, that my main source of enjoyment was Marquez's performance - he boxed beautifully. A really classy display of counter-punching and intelligent back-foot boxing. Credit goes to Pacquiao too, of course, for his continued effort and desire to turn the tables.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight? Empty Re: Judging aside... Did we enjoy the fight?

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

was the worst of the trilogy however was a good fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:52 pm

I was totally off it when I watched it plus I had half of the ravers at the party I was at walking infront of the TV. Long time since iv watched a fight in that state I can tell you. But yeah it was ok...what I remember

Last edited by Steffan on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:52 pm

Good man Chris, agree with that.

Hats off to Marquez and I thought he won it but Pacquiao's effort in the last few has been missed, showed good heart to try what he could to turn it around and yes, when he's fighting, you do always feel he is a second or two away from blitzing the other guy.

I felt if he upped it with more risks, there was always the sense that a sustained attack would have got rid of Marquez or at least made the round beyond doubt. Just a feeling I had whilst watching but hey, I'm not the guy in there taking Juan's sharp counters!!!!

Marquez was great in not subjecting himself to that!

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm

It was nice to see a competitive fight at a real world class level, they have been few and far between recently.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

bellchees wrote:It was nice to see a competitive fight at a real world class level, they have been few and far between recently.

you couldnt be more right mate... the fights at elite level for the past couple of years have been a bit too one sided and a few snorefests.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

That's right AH.

The best fights have been just below the elite guys, I'm actually struggling to think of a good close fight between two of the very top guys in the last few years....

Probably Calzaghe Hopkins or Froch Kessler. I'm sure I've missed some though.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

We can certainly rule out Martinez vs Manny now can't we!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

Yeah i enjoyed it, great boxing from Marquez.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We can certainly rule out Martinez vs Manny now can't we!!!!

Definitely Truss!!! How about Floyd Sergio though?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

Very enjoyable for the purist and the casual fan. Not as intense as the other two and certainly lacked the drama of the first but still better than most and at the absolute highest echelon.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

No...I don't think Floyd would fancy that.....

Think it's Manny or khan....but I think it's probably Manny....

Twice as much money....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

If Manny has indeed plateaued in his performances, it would actually be a little shame for Floyd. He could do with a top rival at his absolute peak to add the cherry to his cake.

Yes, Sergio is a risky fight for little money!

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

TumblingDice wrote:If Manny has indeed plateaued in his performances, it would actually be a little shame for Floyd. He could do with a top rival at his absolute peak to add the cherry to his cake.

Have to disagree there - I think the fact that he is so big in comparison to Mayweather may be able to sell the fight. People want to see him beaten - nay, humiliated - a few antics prefight. Show the lovely Sergio smashing up punchbags and thats it. Mayweather big money and a good name on Cv - and he wins with a few hairy moments along the way.

Only problem is - Mayweather beats Manny, Sergio, Khan - thats taking at least two decent talents out of the top tier.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

Be a big wedge of pizza to Sergio......Manny did win though (apparently) so it's still a huge fight and he's still a bibble for Floyd to burst....

I'm sure he'd rather know he's fighting a guy with deficiences than Drago out of Rocky 4...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:52 pm

Oh I'm with you on that SG, just thinking that if Manny has fallen past his best, does this make a probable Floyd win less credible then if they had the fight 2 years ago.

It's only a very trivial comment really...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Be a big wedge of pizza to Sergio......Manny did win though (apparently) so it's still a huge fight and he's still a bibble for Floyd to burst....

I'm sure he'd rather know he's fighting a guy with deficiences than Drago out of Rocky 4...

Still don't know how Rocky won that fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

Think Manny will be the icing on the Floyd cake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

You see the thing about saying May beats a past it Manny...Is we forget this is an old Floyd!!!

so one can summise if they were younger it would be the same result anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

Not for me - but in general yes. I've been saying for a while now that it would be like Mosely Margarito wherein Floyd makes him look silly. But even for me - the matchup was still an exciting one and has lost its lustre.

Still be gutted if it didn't happened but we had a Taylor-chavez type moment - peak for peak, speed, skill and now its gone because the pair of em are a greedy bunch of..............

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:01 pm

I think Manny is better than you are giving him credit for Shah......

Also Floyd isn't getting any younger..

Manny will force a faster pace than any of floyd's last few opponents..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:04 pm

Not against Floyd. Floyd is too clever, too quick, too skilled to lose to Pacman. All about timing in this fight and May beats him every time.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

Hope you're right but sooner or later all this lay off stuff will hurt Floyd..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

I also think Floyd beats him, probably by KO too.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:11 am

ShahenshahG wrote:
TumblingDice wrote:If Manny has indeed plateaued in his performances, it would actually be a little shame for Floyd. He could do with a top rival at his absolute peak to add the cherry to his cake.

Have to disagree there - I think the fact that he is so big in comparison to Mayweather may be able to sell the fight. People want to see him beaten - nay, humiliated - a few antics prefight. Show the lovely Sergio smashing up punchbags and thats it. Mayweather big money and a good name on Cv - and he wins with a few hairy moments along the way.

Only problem is - Mayweather beats Manny, Sergio, Khan - thats taking at least two decent talents out of the top tier.

This post had me in hysterics to be honest, "Show the lovely Sergio smashing up punchbags and thats it"
Too right, Ortiz had one good fight and a sob story and it was the second highest grossing fight outside of the HW division. A lot of people will want to see him lose especially all the casuals that will hate him for what he did to nice little Ortiz.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 19 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

i personally think manny and floyds greed has robbed the fans of the biggest fight of our generation, if it happens now it will be tainted, manny has looked poor (relatively) against mosley and jmm. floyd is 36 and very inactive, so the excuses are pre written should either side lose. my hope now is that some of the young face come through and beat them, khan, bradley or even better some new talent not on the scene yet.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down