The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Introduce An All Time Great?

+14
break_in_the_fifth
Solerina
LuvSports!
noleisthebest
newballs
Chydremion
lags72
barrystar
Mad for Chelsea
JuliusHMarx
Tenez
sirfredperry
legendkillar
hawkeye
18 posters

Go down

How Do You Introduce An All Time Great? Empty How Do You Introduce An All Time Great?

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

For any tournament lucky enough to have arguably one of the best (or the best) players of all time present this shouldn't really be a problem. When he walks on court it will most likely be to a full stadium. Many in the audience will have bought tickets specifically in order to see him. They know who he is and what he has achieved.

So why introduce him as "World number 4" as if that is his claim to fame?

This is what Federer has to say about such introductions (The Times PPV)

“But I’m not a fan of, ‘Please welcome world No 4 Roger Federer.’ Can we
not be positive? Perhaps, ‘Former world No 1 or six-times Wimbledon
champion?’ Isn’t that nicer for the fans? I think we have
to be a bit more excited and pumped up. I’m not saying it to sound bad,
it’s reality and 4 is not bad, but I suppose being world No 1 for so
long, it sounds funny.”

I agree. If Federer is introduced in this way on Sunday anyone who is lucky enough to have tickets should shout "RANKING IS RIDICULOUS". They may be rewarded with a smile or even a wave from the great man.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

How Do You Introduce An All Time Great? Empty Re: How Do You Introduce An All Time Great?

Post by legendkillar Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

This how it would go.

LK: Hawkeye I would like you to meet my friend Roger. He plays tennis. He is really good at it and is always winning titles. He is quite a nice guy. Polite and unassuming. You would 2 will get on.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

How Do You Introduce An All Time Great? Empty Re: How Do You Introduce An All Time Great?

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

I'm a great Fed fan but his intervierw with Harman in The Times today will only provide ammo for those who say he's arrogant. I know false modesty is a besetting sin among sportsmen but Rog seems have gone to the other extreme, what with ballboys in tears cos they won't be able to ballboy for him anymore. If you're a legend, you're a legend. You don't have to tell everyone you are.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:16 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I'm a great Fed fan but his intervierw with Harman in The Times today will only provide ammo for those who say he's arrogant. I know false modesty is a besetting sin among sportsmen but Rog seems have gone to the other extreme, what with ballboys in tears cos they won't be able to ballboy for him anymore. If you're a legend, you're a legend. You don't have to tell everyone you are.

I haven't read the article but I always felt there has a bit of arrogance in the man since 2009 or so. In fact it's an "acquired" arrogance and the result of being praised non stop everywhere he goes for the last 8 years.

It's most obvious when you compare his facial expressions and smile of 2001-2003 with now. He has lost quite a bit of his genuine shyness then.

But I won't blame him for that. No-one knows how our much bigger or smaller our heads would have been had we been exposed to the same glorious treatment.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Whoever's playing I would always start with "Are you ready to rummmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbble?????!!!!!!"

For Fed it could be "Here he is, former world no1, including a record-breaking 237 consecutive weeks, 6 times Wimbledon champion, 5 times US Open champion, 4 times Australian Open champion, French Open champion, Olympic doubles champion, 5 times WTF champion, 16 slams in total, a favourite here in London and around the world, the one, the only, a legend of the game, Roger Federerrrrrrrrrr"
By then Nadal might be ready for the coin toss.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

If you're a legend, you're a legend.

couldn't agree more thumbsup

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Whoever's playing I would always start with "Are you ready to rummmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbble?????!!!!!!"

For Fed it could be "Here he is, former world no1, including a record-breaking 237 consecutive weeks, 6 times Wimbledon champion, 5 times US Open champion, 4 times Australian Open champion, French Open champion, Olympic doubles champion, 5 times WTF champion, 16 slams in total, a favourite here in London and around the world, the one, the only, a legend of the game, Roger Federerrrrrrrrrr"

had to laugh at that Laugh

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Well at least Fed has something to be arrogant about

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Whoever's playing I would always start with "Are you ready to rummmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbble?????!!!!!!"

Ha ha! This is just what the O2 needs. Contact them with this proposal your certain to get the job...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

I saw the article, and I thought that it was taking avoidance of false modesty a bit too far as well.

He does make some fair points and he is, after all, a legend of the game is he not?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:55 pm

Brings to mind the old quip from his heyday when he reigned supreme, comfortably in the Number One slot for what seemed an eternity.

"I think it's quite wrong that Federer should be compared to God.
I mean, sure, he's great. He's truly great
. But, please ..... he's no Roger Federer"

Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

Please welcome:

World number one Djokovic.
Former world number one Federer.
Former world number one Nadal.
Potential future world number one Murray.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

World number one Djokovic.
Former world number one Federer.
Former world number one Nadal.
Potential future world number one Murray.

A post awaits you in the Diplomatic Corps

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

Over the hill? Washed up? Mirka's other half?

Honestly does it really matter! Like the Rupert the bear theme tune "everyone knows his name".

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:17 pm

They are all "potential" number ones. So I hope Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych and Fish would also get that intro.

newballs

Don't apply for any jobs in Sales...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:They are all "potential" number ones. So I hope Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych and Fish would also get that intro.

Nah - "Please welcome - will never be world No .1 - Mardy Fish!".
Ideally Bruce Forsyth should be the announcer.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I'm a great Fed fan but his intervierw with Harman in The Times today will only provide ammo for those who say he's arrogant. I know false modesty is a besetting sin among sportsmen but Rog seems have gone to the other extreme, what with ballboys in tears cos they won't be able to ballboy for him anymore. If you're a legend, you're a legend. You don't have to tell everyone you are.

happened to notice today's Times on the table in my gym lounge just after a grueling spinning class....so I did something I never do: sat down and read the interview, yes, of all the things he could've said...the worst bit was about the ballkids who cried because they couldn't be with him on the court any more....
That really was such an egomaniacal interview, indeed...I suppose it just proves that nobody's perfect...(I think this is my best ever understatement Wink )
Btw, how do you know it was Neil Harman, I looked for the journalist's name and couldn't see it on either pages...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

Tenez wrote:

I haven't read the article but I always felt there has a bit of arrogance in the man since 2009 or so. In fact it's an "acquired" arrogance and the result of being praised non stop everywhere he goes for the last 8 years.

It's most obvious when you compare his facial expressions and smile of 2001-2003 with now. He has lost quite a bit of his genuine shyness then.

But I won't blame him for that. No-one knows how our much bigger or smaller our heads would have been had we been exposed to the same glorious treatment.

Tenez,
even I was uncomfortable with how much his ego came across Shocked nothing bombastic and provoking just that pugnant tone you get from someone eating a burger on the train Run
Still, a darn good tennis-player Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm

they should get that incredibly enthusiastic guy who does the announcements for the snooker! He would give quite an intro no doubt Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:33 pm

hawkeye I'm a big believer in that TV avert "it does what it says on the tin"

Roger can be introduced any which way the organisers like. He's still going to be no. 4 in the world though!

Mardy's intro however really should be nice and short . Bit like the time he'll spend on court at the O2.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:46 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Tenez,
even I was uncomfortable with how much his ego came across Shocked nothing bombastic and provoking just that pugnant tone you get from someone eating a burger on the train Run

It's one of the thing you realise with people who have (had) some form of fame. It's stronger than them. So far Federer I think has done very well. Maybe this comment was taken out of place maybe he really meant it, maybe he really meant it but not in an arrogant way. Don't know...do care...but not too much.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:21 pm

newballs wrote:hawkeye I'm a big believer in that TV avert "it does what it says on the tin"

Roger can be introduced any which way the organisers like. He's still going to be no. 4 in the world though!

Mardy's intro however really should be nice and short . Bit like the time he'll spend on court at the O2.
Ouch!
Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:54 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Tenez,

It's one of the thing you realise with people who have (had) some form of fame. It's stronger than them. So far Federer I think has done very well. Maybe this comment was taken out of place maybe he really meant it, maybe he really meant it but not in an arrogant way. Don't know...do care...but not too much.

Spoken like a true fan Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm

Now here is a question:

How will Fed be announced NEXT year ?!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

nitb - and here's another question .....

Will he be there next year .... ?

Meanwhile ..... unless you've been living in a cave I would have thought it's a case of "no introduction necessary"

But it's the WTF with all its boxing-match razmatazz so why not a simple, time-saving
"The defending champion and five times event winner"

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

r
lags72 wrote:nitb - and here's another question .....

Will he be there next year .... ?

Meanwhile ..... unless you've been living in a cave I would have thought it's a case of "no introduction necessary"

But it's the WTF with all its boxing-match razmatazz so why not a simple, time-saving
"The defending champion and five times event winner"

Well yes that would sort of be ok.

But what is surprising to me is here on 606v2 amongst what I can only presume are fellow tennis fans so many want him to be introduced in such an un-descriptive way. I can only presume they are bitter fans of other players.

Despite being a big fan of Roger. Seriously how can anyone that loves tennis not appreciate him? I am not an exclusive fan of his... I do like other players. In a time of political correctness it makes a change to have someone who is genuinely talented saying it as it is. Also it makes his rivalry with Rafa ("He is better than me") a bit more interesting...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm

hawkeye wrote:For any tournament lucky enough to have arguably one of the best (or the best) players of all time present this shouldn't really be a problem. When he walks on court it will most likely be to a full stadium. Many in the audience will have bought tickets specifically in order to see him. They know who he is and what he has achieved.

So why introduce him as "World number 4" as if that is his claim to fame?

This is what Federer has to say about such introductions (The Times PPV)

“But I’m not a fan of, ‘Please welcome world No 4 Roger Federer.’ Can we
not be positive? Perhaps, ‘Former world No 1 or six-times Wimbledon
champion?’ Isn’t that nicer for the fans? I think we have
to be a bit more excited and pumped up. I’m not saying it to sound bad,
it’s reality and 4 is not bad, but I suppose being world No 1 for so
long, it sounds funny.”

I agree. If Federer is introduced in this way on Sunday anyone who is lucky enough to have tickets should shout "RANKING IS RIDICULOUS". They may be rewarded with a smile or even a wave from the great man.

Firstly saying "ranking is ridiculous" is ridiculous. Is that all you really wanted to say hawkeye. If so then you have already said it - many times. However, what Federer said was perfectly reasonable within the context of the interview. However some could say that he is thinking of the past rather than the present - which does not bode well for his slam challenge in 2012.

Just for fun this is how we introduce the Leg Ends of the Sport:

Ball bouncer extraordinaire: Mr Djokovic.
Medical Time Out: Mr Nadal
The moany minnie: Mr Murray
The old faRt: Mr Federer

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

Nore Staat wrote:

Just for fun this is how we introduce the Leg Ends of the Sport:

Ball bouncer extraordinaire: Mr Djokovic.
Medical Time Out: Mr Nadal
The moany minnie: Mr Murray
The old faRt: Mr Federer

Laugh

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:42 pm

Sorry to be repetative Nore Stat but I couldn't help it when I read Federer's quote. It was if he was posting on 606v2...

As for your introductions. I think they are balanced therefore no-one could feel singled out for criticism. But imagine a first time live tennis viewer hearing them. They would be feeling they had been short changed. If the match started slowely they may decide to head off home early for some coco and a good book...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

I like it Nore Staat ! - the pantomine season beckons, after all ......

I was at last year's event, had a ticket for an afternoon Murray v Fed RR

Even as a long-time admirer of Federer I was staggered by the rapturous reception he received from the (near-enough) full house. Murray too was very well received, albeit with not quite the same warmth

After the match (shorter than I would have liked) I elbowed my way through the crowds around the practise court and spent some time watching Rafa going through his service routine and then giving a couple of interviews. Great atmosphere all-round, and a great venue for tennis Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

I echo the sentiments of those saying he's taken not having false modesty too far. One thing going on about how you're introduced but I really don't want to have to hear about the ball boys from him. There's far more endearing ways to be an egomaniac.

Last edited by break_in_the_fifth on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

More thoughts on introductions:

"Now you see him and now you don't" (Mardy Fish - after all he is carrying an injury so that'll be a good excuse)

"Apologies in advance for some of the language" (Andy Murray - who else?))

"More titles then he can shake his walking stick at. Yes it's good ol' Father Time himself..."

"And now get ready to be amazed and astonished at the synchronised water bottle display. Marvel at how one man can multitask playing tennis whilst picking his shorts out of his buttocks and, without stepping on any lines in the process, still find time to reposition his water bottles between changes of ends."

"The guy whose parents you just love to hate..."

newballs

Back to top Go down

How Do You Introduce An All Time Great? Empty Fed hates being called the #4 player

Post by eraldeen Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

Federer said:

“But I’m not a fan of, Please welcome world No 4 Roger Federer. Can we not be positive? Perhaps, Former world No 1 or six-times Wimbledon champion?"

Erm

Last edited by eraldeen on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

Already covered here:
https://www.606v2.com/t18566-how-do-you-introduce-an-all-time-great

Threads merging in 2 mins, dont type anything or it will be lost in space.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

Merged, safe to type!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

some intro for feds and what a reception!!!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

"Arrogant" is derived from the Latin "Arrogo", which means to claim as ones own or for oneself.

It does not mean big headed.

I think on the correct definition Federer is arrogant, and he has every right to be so. He has much to claim for himself. Including being introduced as something more than the #4.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

Introducing an all time great is one thing, but how do you introduce an all time great who recently lost his mind?

This is what Roj said about the match:

After the match Federer said: "Jo-Wilfried served well in the second set and it was hard to control the rallies at the baseline. But I think this is the best I've played all year.

Control the rallies? There were no rallies! Either Fed or Jo was mishitting within an exchange of 2 shots, it was terrible!
Erm

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:19 pm

They're very diplomatic.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

Very weird comment from Fed for sure.

But from what I heard, he was asked while still recovering his breath from the match wheter this was the best he had played this year and Fed said "probably". Which clearly doesn;t mean much as he was trying keep the interviewer happy....unless he alsp said so in the press room.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

I think the "best I've played all year" bit was more a reference to his current run of form, which would make more sense.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

Maybe he's having a good laugh at it at the dinner table:

"Do you guys know what that interviewer asked me? hahaha he asked me if this was the best i played this year..seriously ,i'm not kidding, of course i said i thought so hahaha"

Something like that Wink

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

Does it really matter ? I think people know who he is.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:27 pm

Very simply: "The greatest player of all time"...We all know who that is.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm

I'm pleased the O2 decided to opt for a fitting introduction for Federer similar to this suggestion. If they'd opted for the mean ranking points intro it certainly wouldn't have described Federers excellent play tonight.

I also liked what he had to say about his opponant after the match. Federer recognises another all time great even when he has just beaten him. He said he's seen Rafa play better and he's played worse himself. As have we all...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down