The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where would you rate Bret Hart all time?

+13
Stonee21
Mr H
liverbnz
sodhat
MtotheC
Dr Gregory House MD
bretmeharty
Bonesaw's ready
The Awesome Giz
Kay Fabe
NickisBHAFC
TwisT
Brady12
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where do you rank The Hitman all time?

Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_lcap36%Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 12 ]
Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 15 ]
Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 33

Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Empty Where would you rate Bret Hart all time?

Post by Brady12 Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

His in ring skills weren't in question, he was given the ball in arguably the most difficult period in WWF.... His mic skills divide opinions.... All things considered where do you rate him on the all time list?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where would you rate Bret Hart all time?

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Great post mate, I really agree with your take on Hart's run in 1997 and his promos

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Where would you rate Bret Hart all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where would you rate Bret Hart all time?

Post by Mr H Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

Bret Hart was easily a better talker than Chris Benoit. Thats that.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

I feel the reasons that Bret Hart really excelled on the mic in 1997 were that he really believed what he was saying about HBK, American fans, and to a lesser extent Stone Cold. Also, he had the backing of the Hart Foundation standing beside him in the ring, which I believed would have helped his confidence when talking.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

Mr H wrote:Bret Hart was easily a better talker than Chris Benoit. Thats that.

That's that, oh well that goes with you're other classic, 'you're just wrong'

God forbid anyone has a difference of opinion with you with that kind or retort!

Some characters don't need to say much, Goldberg was one, Taker and Sting too and in his prime Kane was another, Beniot falls into that catagory, not in terms of popularity but in terms of selling their emotions through their facial expressions and body language

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
Mr H wrote:Bret Hart was easily a better talker than Chris Benoit. Thats that.

That's that, oh well that goes with you're other classic, 'you're just wrong'

God forbid anyone has a difference of opinion with you with that kind or retort!

Some characters don't need to say much, Goldberg was one, Taker and Sting too and in his prime Kane was another, Beniot falls into that catagory, not in terms of popularity but in terms of selling their emotions through their facial expressions and body language

I totally agree with you gaffer Benoit does fall into that category, he definately sold his emotion through facial expressions and body language, but that isnt the argument. Dr G said Benoit and Hart were comparible on the mic, do you think they are? Because i dont, hence why i said Hart is better on the mic than Benoit and thats that, and if anyone who thinks Benoit is on the same level as Hart on the mic then yes - they are wrong!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

I don't think he was but people interpret thing's differently, for me his mic work in 97 means he could afford to be less than great any other time in his career

charisma isn't down to just talking though and when people say Benoit had no charisma because he wasn't good on the mic don't understand that

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

I dont think Benoit was totally devoid of charisma, he definately had some but his shortcomings on the mic held him back from reaching the same level of charisma that Bret Hart possessed.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

On the other hand many would say that Benoit looked like he would rip your head off while Bret never had that same aura about him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm

Bonesaw's ready wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
Brady12 wrote:Top 20 is a bit of a joke I don't think you could put a decent arguement together for 10 better guys than him

I would argue Brady that HBK, Angle, Savage, Austin, Eddy Guerrero, Flair, The Rock, HHH, Edge and Mick Foley were all better than him in all rounder terms, all of them were/are great wrestlers, perhaps not the smooth as silk technical brilliance of Hart but brilliant in there own way and in terms of mic skills all of them trounch Hart who as I said before I think is really poor, I found him very bland and never commanded attention prior to his heel turn, he was slightly better after the turn but it's been proved that the forgien heel gimmick is one of the easiest ways to build cheap heat and as I said before at it's core that was a forgien heel gimmick, after he came back in 2010 his mic work has been frankly unlistenable tbh, I found his return promo to Raw really uncomfertable to listen to and if I hadn't been so excited to see him come back I would honestly have turned off, his promos nowdays are also extremly formulaic and possibly exploitive, 'Owen (pop), Bulldog (pop)'.

Hart was undeniably a great wrestler but when you factor in his ability to talk he slides way down the list.

I think to call Hart's heel run simply a 'foreign heel gimmick' is a little short sighted. I believe the crux of it was the Hitman character asking the American fans to look at their values as to why they cheer their heroes. As if Hart was saying 'I haven't turned heel, you have.' For me, since the mind nineties WWE/F has moved away from good vs. evil to cool guy vs. nerd. Hart's mic work around this time wasn't simply the usual 'America and your decadent ways...blah blah blah' but a little more cerebral and for me held a microscope over the industry and it's direction. If you look at wrestling's obsession with worked shoots and self analysis since I'd say that shows Hart was ahead of his time.

I'd also argue that Bret Hart was very good on the mic, he wasn't captivating, I'd never claim that, but he was always clear, coherent and most importantly, always logical and in character. The Hitman character was for me always a spit and shine, hard-working badass. In his promo for SS97 he described himself as the antithesis to Shawn Michaels and represented the truckers and lumberjacks of this world. To that end, it'd make no sense for him to be flamboyant on the mic. However, he always sold the occasion, the opponent and the event. He never buried his opponents (again that would make no sense as everyone looked great when they wrestled him). Up until 97 I'd say he was solid on the mic and it never held him back and in 97 I'd say he absolutely shined on the mic.

I think in the era Hart wrestled in promos were a different animal to the modern age. In the days of kayfabe it was important to promote yourself without burying your opponent, only their character. I.e. Yokozuna lacked respect, Shawn Michaels was an egotist and not take easy pops at them (Yoko's not a real athlete, HBK's a habitual drug user). In current times it seems if a guy is 'over' with the crowd he's given carte blanche to bury his opponent. For example how is CM Punk calling Del Rio uninteresting and highlighting the audience's lack of empathy with his character promoting their match? I think people who critique Hart's mic work need to realise there's more than one way to skin a cat and coming out with witty barbs and slaying your opponent is not always what's best.

Now, of course I'm not claiming that Hart was as good as The Rock, Jericho or CM Punk on the mic. But to call him poor because he didn't adhere to this model is a little off for me.

Superbly written & explained I can't really add anything more.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

I would put Bret in my top 5. I struggle in the sense that some people put Hogan in their top 5 given Bret would score less in terms of Mic skills, but Bret would win hands down in wrestling skills.

Bret for me was a great wrestler and on the mic was in 'control' of his words. Not like he ever went off in a different direction and emotionally it was difficult to read the guy when he spoke from 91-97. Orton is the only wrestler mic wise that I can liken him to before Bret went anti-america.

As for the Benoit and Hart debate. Benoit was unique. That man could generate such reaction from his body language alone. He had that look from wanting to kill the opponent to that of emotion when he was close to Woman in his WCW days. Benoit had that ability to match his emotion to the tempo of his matches. Hart on the overhand when WWF Champion was one dimensional character wise because it was built on arrogance of I am the best and I know it. I think the only other times he showed different sides body language wise was his matches against the Bulldog and Owen for obvious reasons.

When Bret feuded with Austin and DX it makes you wonder why they held him back mic wise. It seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to what WCW had done with Hogan during his nWo days. The WWE missed a trick with him on that scale.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

Just to clarify I never said that Bret Hart's 97 run was just a forgien heel gimmick, I said that at its core thats all I felt it was, the 90's were an era when it was quickly becoming cool to hate americans and Hart was able to tap into this, Hart's mic work did improve during this period but it was never great and I don't see the justification for putting him in as an ALL ROUND top 10 when he was lacking in a department so obviously.

I also stand by what I said about Benoit and Hart's mic skills being comparable but I may have over reacted, Hart for that period in 97 was better than Benoit

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

If you didn't live through Bret Hart's era I think it's very easy to not rate him.... He was old school & rather old fashioned in his values & approach. I don't think the modern wrestling fan appreciates this. He's a proud man who perfected his craft. Ironic how his fueds with Austin & Michaels ushered in the attitude era.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:20 am

That's why I said most of those other guys have a case against Hart, particularly those who would argue for others and particularly if they didn't see Bret in his prime as it happened

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2