The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fedal - who you got?

+21
HM Murdock
FedsFan
Jarvik
lags72
Mad for Chelsea
lydian
sirfredperry
barrystar
yloponom68
laverfan
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
gallery play
droogle
Chazfazzer
Tenez
Jeremy_Kyle
Positively 4th Street
legendkillar
Manojchandra
break_in_the_fifth
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fedal - who you got? Empty Fedal - who you got?

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Another Fedal meeting tomorrow evening.

The Nadull has won all three meetings this year, including the mother of all beat downs in Miami.

However, the great one did win their last meeting at the WTF.

So how do you think this latest installment will play out?

Personally, I believe that The Nadull will put on a clinical display of moonballing to the great one's SHBH, and thus will win the match in straight sets, or possibly in three.

ghost

emancipator - I is neutral.

Back to top Go down

Fedal - who you got? Empty Re: Fedal - who you got?

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

I really hope not Crying or Very sad

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

RF in three tight sets. One MTO for Rafa.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

Federer I hole be because last week I stuck £20 on Nadal and Murray going out in the RR. I got 40-1. Come on Roger!!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

I'm backing Federer, but it's a tough one to pick. Nadal will have to up his game considerably from yesterday to have a chance, but I am hoping the sight of Federer can galvanise him. Could well go the distance, we've had a few long matches already.

Last edited by Positively 4th Street on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

As sure as the ball is round Fed HAS to win this one ....... furious
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm

I must say, as bad as Nadal played last night his moonballing reached new proportions.

Those high balls had no other intention but to irritate the opponent...and it worked.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:45 pm

Those high balls had no other intention but to irritate the opponent...and it worked.

He was basically using the same tactics as the various hackers I've had the misfortune of having to play in the leagues at my local club. Spooning the ball up with zero pace is a surprisingly effective tactic, as the ball is difficult time and your opponent has to generate all their own pace. Pretty embarrassing to be seeing it used in the upper echelons of the game, but I think it's a good reflection of the overall standard of play we've seen so far, ie complete dogsh*te.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

Last year Federer's backhand was awesome, he created extraordinary angles from high-bouncing balls.
Perhaps unfairly/irrationally I'm finding it hard to believe he's going to turn on the magic this time round. . . and even if he does the conditions may make it impossible to get past The Scampering Bicep.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

I prepare myself for the misery to continue.
Federer attacks, Nadal retrieves: that's a no brainer these days. Nadal to win ugly in three sets.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:51 pm

Tenez wrote:I must say, as bad as Nadal played last night his moonballing reached new proportions.

How sneaky of him. He should hit clean and flat like other players so his opponants know what to expect and they are able to play their best shots in return... without getting all flustered. It would make his opponants look so much better.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:53 pm

Chazfazzer wrote:

He was basically using the same tactics as the various hackers I've had the misfortune of having to play in the leagues at my local club. Spooning the ball up with zero pace is a surprisingly effective tactic, as the ball is difficult time and your opponent has to generate all their own pace. Pretty embarrassing to be seeing it used in the upper echelons of the game, but I think it's a good reflection of the overall standard of play we've seen so far, ie complete dogsh*te.

Chazz - THat's what I have been talking about for the last 7 years on those 606s.

I have been exposed myself to those games but they disappeared in the 90s, at least on the world stage, but they are back with a vengence thanks to amazing fitness and slow conds.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm

Its tricky to call, both playing crap. but Nadal can always raise his game against Fed, unless Fed plays his mater piece he wont win.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:47 am

From the ATP article....

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/Rivalries/Nadal-Federer-Rivalry.aspx

2007 Tennis Masters Cup SF. Federer d. Nadal 64 61
Federer claimed the most lopsided win in his storied rivalry with Nadal to race into the Tennis Masters Cup final in Shanghai. After holding his nerve in a tense first set, Federer blew open the match by winning 13 consecutive points at the start of the second set before closing out a 6-4, 6-1 victory.

Federer produced one of the best serving performances of his career, putting 81 percent of first serves into play and, in the first set, firing four consecutive aces to get out of a 0-30 hole.

The ATP World No. 1 hit with conviction the topspin backhand that has so often let him down against Nadal. He was confident on return, opting for a more aggressive topspin backhand rather than his slice. And he found the time he needed to dance around his backhand and unleash the full force of his mighty forehand.

After his early challenge, Nadal fell well short of his best form. His groundstrokes lacked their normal penetration and he made a number of unforced errors.

Yet Nadal did have a number of chances on the Federer serve in the first set and only gave up his first break chances when he dropped serve to lose the first set 6-4. Federer then embarked on his 13-point sweep at the beginning of the second set to take a 3-0 lead. During that run he made seven of eight first serves and broke Nadal to love.

If Federer wants to win, this is what he needs to repeat 2007 again and he did in WTF 2010.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7_s5zAI6dc
https://imgur.com/EVFi7

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:19 am

@Lf, But we all know this is not the prime fed even thought some might argue he is better than 2007 now, the question is how good is the current Rafa?

If Rafa play close to 80% of his best he will win unless Fed plays his 100%, I route for Fed, but its a difficult call for sure.

@LF - sorry the link you gave above doesnt show even 1% of match, better to find something that actually has what u described.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:24 am

iC... would this work better... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR7do5BFgzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvGt07DXfQ

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:42 am

Yo LF Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:43 am

2006 or 2007 was in Shanghai where a good FH, BH and volley were hurting. Look how effortless Fed plays then, now you have to hit through a much slower court against even fitter opponents.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:13 am

Fed will win if he plays properly.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Well, last year, Nadal had a draining semi and still took a set from RF, so it's possible.

Against that, it's Federer's court and surface, so I expect a str8 sets win, maybe something like 6-4, 6-4, or maybe a TB in one of the sets.

Would be great to see a classic with MPs on both sides, culminating in a ridiculous TB score - 20-18...??

Hope I am wrong! But may the best man on the night win.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

I expect Nadal to win. I expect him to win every time they play, and once in a blue moon I am pleasantly surprised. His tactics will nearly always prevail in a longer match, but best of three gives Fed a better chance and Fed is relatively better towards the end of the season. I'd really like to see Fed win this, as always, but I have the same sense of foreboding as ever.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

Hoping for a good match. Nadal was very unconvincing against Fish, due to his illness.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

Apologies for garble. Have resent below

Last edited by sirfredperry on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

Am going tonight and the burning question is......will the match be over before the last Jubilee line train departs. Let's hope the doubles does not overrun, let's hope Rafa speeds things up (like losing quickly). My forecast? - Roger in three. He's never lost to Rafa at the yr-end champs.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

Nadal didnt look in good fettle in the last match at all (even besides the illness), he looked rusty and error-strewn. Federer is on top form and coming off the back of a great run...and as SFP says fed has never lost to Nadal indoors so can only see 1 winner today. Hopefully be a good match though.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

This will be first live sighting of Fed since I was lucky enough to be at Wimbledon centre court to see his memorable match with Sampras in 2001. Can't think of a tennis match that was so significant so long AFTER it happened. At the time, it was merely a a case of a young, extremely talented, player doing well enough to topple a giant of the game. Later....well you know the rest.
My wife, who will be with me tonight, was - to my eternal envy - at the late-night Rafa-Rog epic at Wimbledon in 2008, so is comparatively blase about tonight's match up. We certainly got the long straw with the draw for this evening. There are still some tickets left, I believe.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

SFP... enjoy your night out. Hope it gives you good memories to keep for a long time. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Ta L'fan. I'd rather see Fed and he lose than not see him at all, I guess. I shall toast my friends on this board from my elevated, privileged position in one of those wretched (unless you happen to be in them) corporate hospitality boxes.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

I have Nadal winning this, either in tight straight sets, or in three. Just think the higher bounce this year will wear down the Fed BH. This is of course assuming Rafa has recovered from his sickness of the other night...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

sfp - do hope you enjoy tonight's event, whatever the outcome

Despite his struggle against Fish I'm fully expecting a warmed-up Rafa to come out on top in this one

Federer would need to be close to his very best, but sadly - and notwithstanding that fine run at Basle and Paris - I believe his very best is now behind him. Even so, any flashes of the old magic are to be treasured while we still have him around ........ Smile

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarvik Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

droogle wrote:Last year Federer's backhand was awesome, he created extraordinary angles from high-bouncing balls.

Spot on.

It's one thing playing safe looping top spins but Rafa's length against Fish was garbage. If that's what he serves up again today then he'll be lucky to get the result he had against Roger last year here. I predict Federer straight sets today.

Maybe others could give a prediction instead of complaining about Nadal and the court conditions (again)?

Jarvik

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

"Even so, any flashes of the old magic are to be treasured while we still have him around "
Well said. I'm sure most fans - but probably not the man himself - would like him to go on playing even if he slipped down the rankings.
As long as he's top four, I think he'll carry on. The London Olympics has lured him thus far. A continued high ranking and being able to match, or nearly match, the rest, might tempt him on beyond 2012.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Jarvik wrote:
Maybe others could give a prediction instead of complaining about Nadal and the court conditions (again)?

I'd rather complain. I am a superstitious man.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarvik Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:16 pm

lol

Jarvik

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Am going tonight and the burning question is......will the match be over before the last Jubilee line train departs. Let's hope the doubles does not overrun, let's hope Rafa speeds things up (like losing quickly). My forecast? - Roger in three. He's never lost to Rafa at the yr-end champs.

The situation with transport from the O2 is crazy. No joined up thinking. How did London win its bid for the Olympics...

Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment. What a great ticket to have. Definately worth the risk of missing last tubes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

As for the match. Does it really matter who wins? Hopefully they will both qualify.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Manojchandra wrote:RF in three tight sets. One MTO for Rafa.

laughing

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

When its a Fed/Nadal match you automatically assume Nadal will walk away the winner. This year it has been particularly bad although at the FO Fed was closest he has ever been. Odd that considering it was clay.

This surface is SLOW. Maybe it might have sped up a bit now that its been played on. I think (but certainly hope not) it will be one of those matches where Fed gets all tangled up as he has done before vs Nadal. Break points will come and go with missed opportunities galore and when it most matters Fed's serve letting him down.

Federer needs to play this match as any other match. There is no point trying to alter his game too much because Nadal is in front of him. He was looking very worried yesterday to me when he accepted his awards probably due to the impending match tonight. Nadal on the other hand knows he can coast this one if he puts enough pressure on Fed. Expect to see many anxious/nervous faces in the Fed box tonight (Annacone particularly) and Uncle Toni with a grin on his face! I sincerely hope I am wrong though!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarvik Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Very pessimistic FedsFan - yes the courts are slow, yes Nadal has won recent matches but current form surely suggests a victory for the Basel Bungler (tribute to UE there).

Jarvik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

Current form means nothing when these two meet.

Fed could be having the best tournament of his career, but when he meets Nadal, he can't find a first serve, the BH starts shanking all over the place and the FH can't find the court.

Nadal meanwhile has the assurity of sticking to a tried, tested and simple gameplan; try to hit every ball to Fed's BH, wait for an error, or open up the court and hit a simple FH winner.

The is the established pattern. The only way Fed can break this pattern is to play high risk attacking tennis which requires incredible timing and confidence.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:21 pm

emancipator wrote:Current form means nothing when these two meet.

The is the established pattern. The only way Fed can break this pattern is to play high risk attacking tennis which requires incredible timing and confidence.

ghost

High risk is what Fed has gone for before and it has proven to be the case. Surely Federer and his team have the dvds from past matches to look upon? I think the key is the serve. If Nadal does not get much of a look in on Fed's serve and Fed moves swiftly through his service games he should be okay. When every serve is a second serve, that's when the problem starts. I also find when opponents rush the net it forces errors from Nadal. If you look at the WTF final whenever Fed approached the net it I think distracted Nadal and he played the ball into the tramlines. Fish had some success too the other night.

Whatever happens I think Fed needs at least one set. Otherwise he and Tsonga maybe forced to look at games won/lost to see who progresses to the semis.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

On those courts Nadal will have many looks on Fed's serve. Not that he'll pull return winners but high moonballing on the menu, inviting to long gruelling rallies....and as Nadal says, " then you just have to wait v Federer". But that works against almost anaybody bar Djoko and maybe Davydenko.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

Did Nadal really say, "then you just have to wait v. Federer"?

I know it's true, but quite a thing to say.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:16 pm

He says something very similar in his bio. I haven't read it but it was quoted here a couple of months ago.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

barrystar wrote:Did Nadal really say, "then you just have to wait v. Federer"?

Nadal calling it like it is.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

barrystar wrote:Did Nadal really say, "then you just have to wait v. Federer"?

Pretty much! He mentioned it in a section on Djokovic:

"With Federer the rule is always to keep patiently plugging away, knowing you'll force him sooner or later to make mistakes. With Djokovic there is no clear tactical plan. It's simply a question of playing at your very best, with maximum intensity and aggression, seeking to retain control of the point, because the moment you let him get the upper hand, he is unstoppable."

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:24 pm

Yep, just keep moonballing to the BH and wait.

Thrilling stuff.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

I kinda have a feeling this is gonna be a very boring slugfest today. Not a match for the ages.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

Never a slugfest when Fed is winning Smile

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

Looks like a repeat of 2007 Shanghai.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next