The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray May Pull Out?

+12
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
Tenez
sirfredperry
laverfan
legendkillar
Mad for Chelsea
barrystar
newballs
break_in_the_fifth
CaledonianCraig
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Murray May Pull Out? Empty Murray May Pull Out?

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

So say all the headlines.

But the opposite may also be true. His injury wasn't obvious when he was playing despite the MTO. If he intends to carry on playing it would have been possible to keep quiet about problems he admits to having in training.

So why is he making a press conference announcement about the extent of his problems? And more importantly... Why is he telling Berdych and Djokovic? Surely a little discretion would have been wiser at this stage.

Of course if he does pull he would be expected to give a reason.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray May Pull Out? Empty Re: Murray May Pull Out?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:20 am

Eight and counting. Averaging one negative Murray-obsessed topic per two and a half weeks since joining. Rolling Eyes
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 am

CaledonianCraig

You havn't said. Do you think Murray should have kept quiet if he still thinks he may be able to play? Djokovic and Berdych will now be able to take advantage of this knowledge.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 am

Well being 'injured' and letting everyone know then playing on regardless has produced good results for some other players. So logically he should have kept quiet but from how it's worked out for the other guys, this might just make him the one to beat.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 am

CC that's because Andy give us lots to talk about.

Now it's difficult to be sure how much of an on-going issue this injury is. It could be argued though that Andy is talking himself into pulling out which would be a shame for all those who bought tickets expecting to see him play.

From the viewpoint of upcoming matches obviously Berdych will fancy his chances against Andy and Novak will make short work of him if he's less than 100% focused on being there. So from being one of the "favourites" for the event he's rapidly starting to look like (for want of better words) damaged goods.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 am

Nope newballs it is the 8th anti-Murray topic started by the same poster. A player's injury clear for people like Tim Henman to see but this anti-Murray poster is using it as another sniping attempt.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:04 am

CC if you read the whole of Tim's article about Andy you'll see even Henman is having a go. Yes he appreciated that Andy may have been struggling with a niggling injury but goes on to say (I quote):

" We certainly don't question Andy's ability when he's playing well and when things are going well but it's all about dealing with adversity and certainly, for me, there was too much dialogue going back and forth from him to his box."

That too me goes to the heart of Andy's problems. The toys go out of the pram when its wheels fall off (as it were). If that sounds a little harsh then the truth does sometimes hurt.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am

No I can accept that part of things and have before but when it comes from one person on multiple occasions about specifically one player in particular that in my book is player-bashing. A thing that 606v2 promised wouldn't be here when it was advertised on old 606.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:13 pm

I think that this thread merits a thicker skin. There are plenty who'd say it's best to say less about an injury until the crunch comes either way.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm

oh look, another anti-Murray interview from hawkeye, how utterly surprising Whistle

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 pm

VMP will you put a sock in your anti Murray campaign.

As you can tell no-one gives a crap.

Change the record

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Wish Andy had skipped Basel (or Valencia) and focused on Paris/WTF more. Sad

HE... whether he pulls out or stays, his decision to make. I would support him either way. Prefer him to be fit and healthy rather than dragging an injured body through matches.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Murray will make a decision after a practice this afternoon, apparently, although with the alternate guy standing by he could, technically, delay a decision until the last minute tomorrow.
Don't know why he doesn't give the injury as long as possible to clear up. I reckon he'll play on. It's not as if he had to play again any time soon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm

The only reasons I can imagine that he's leaving it so late is that he's desperate to play and, more importantly, he's been told that his injury is not severe and will not be made worse.

Nothing else makes any sense.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:04 pm

barrystar wrote:The only reasons I can imagine that he's leaving it so late is that he's desperate to play and, more importantly, he's been told that his injury is not severe and will not be made worse.

Nothing else makes any sense.

Careful I know your not criticizing Murray just saying things don't make sense. But some Murray supporters get upset even if you just do this...

Maybe your correct and Murray is desperate to play. If so he may well regret drawing such attention to an injury. If I were Berdych I would now make sure Murray does quite a bit of running and not go for the quick kill! Lots of side to side and a few drop shots and lobs..

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 pm

It's often the sponsors that decide too. They would not want to miss on teh opportunity to show Andy a couple more times with his "beautiful" outfit to his million of fans around the world, and in particular here in GB.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:26 pm

I find this a really weird thread. Watching the match yesterday there was obviously the MTO during which you could see he was suffering some pain as the trainer manipulated his leg. The commentators were also commenting on the way he appeared to be having trouble in his movement. Therefore when he went to the press conference how could he say there was nothing wrong. If the injury happened after Paris, which he said it was, he kept it quiet before yesterday's match. Don't think it matters too much if players know someone is carrying an injury or not . The top players can soon spot any weakness that their opponent has on the day and use it to their advantage.

Btw well done Ferrer. A deserved win.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Calder106 wrote:The top players can soon spot any weakness that their opponent has on the day and use it to their advantage.

It'snot that obvious. They often are so focused in their own game that they don't always see it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 pm

yes but I'm pretty sure Berdych and his team would have watched and studied the Murray-Ferrer match, have noted the MTO, the reduced movement, the troubles with his push-off, the winces when serving, etc. and probably worked out that he had some sort of injury. I mean it was blatantly obvious after about three games that Murray was struggling physically, and if I can see that I'm pretty sure Berdych (and Djokovic) could too...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Yes but if Murray had not talked about it, they may not have noticed it. Especially berdych who coudl not see that Federer was half himself in Wimby 2010.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

sure they wouldn't have, they're all blind aren't they? actually I hope Berdych does change his game when playing Murray and tries to just run him from side to side instead of hitting through him as it would increase Murray's chances of winning considerably.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Tenez wrote:It's often the sponsors that decide too. They would not want to miss on teh opportunity to show Andy a couple more times with his "beautiful" outfit to his million of fans around the world, and in particular here in GB.

Must admit I thought his outfit was pretty poor as well. Smile maybe it is the thought of playing twice more in that kit that is worrying him.

Seriously though given that over the last few weeks he has had the pain in the backside problem is Basel, a tight hamstring in Paris, and now a groin injury he will need to be sure that he cannot do further damage or quit this event.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:51 pm

let's NOT talk about the outfit. What on earth were the sponsors thinking? and couldn't Andy just say "no way am I ever wearing THAT!!!"?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:52 pm

BBC website just reporting that Murray is out.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Sad

but probably the right decision for him, he's had a few niggles in the past few weeks, so it's probably a sign his body needs rest. Go home, rest up and come out firing for next year Andy!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Is there a replacement player?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Tipsarevic I'd have thought. He's first reserve anyway...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:25 pm

The importance of allowing his body a rest after the USO and all that tennis in the far east may have averted this.

Too much tennis IMO fuelled by his desire to surpass Federer. Surely Fed will climb back up to no 3 now?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Oh well. I suppose it does make more sense now he has pulled out. I thought he was going to play.

I don't think it was obvious from his play on Monday that he had a tournament threatening injury. What was he thinking with all that bravado talk about "letting his tennis do the talking etc" against Federer when all the time he knew he was injured and wouldn't be playing if it was a lesser tournament?..

He really could do with some help handling the media and he could easily get it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:46 pm

so instead of having a go at him for talking about the injury, you're now having a go about him for not talking about it. Wonderful stuff again from hawkeye...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 pm

So firstly it was "why did he talk about his injury? Wouldn't it have been better to act as if he hasn't got an injury?"

And now he's being criticised for comments he made before the tournament, where he spoke like there was no injury..... Erm.... Which is it to be? Can't have it both ways!

I'm disappointed because selfishly I wanted to see if he could play through it... But then its not worth taking any risks that might affect his preparation for Melbourne.

Last edited by Danny_1982 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Hope he rests and is ready for the Brisbane/AO swing.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:54 pm

What a shame for Andy and for the tournament, particularly as such a prestigious tournament is on home soil.

It's a shame that it is an injury he felt he couldn't play on with as it is disappointing to see the number 3 seed pull out....however, it's Tipsy's gain and I think he will make a very entertaining addition to the proceedings!

Get well soon Andy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:16 am

Guys it's not like Melbourne is next week or something. I genuinely hope Andy has pulled out for the right reasons i.e. basically it was an injury that could have been made much worse by trying to continue in the tournament.

He actually owes that to the fans especially those who paid good money wanting to see him play. And before all the pro-Murray brigade start having a go that would apply to any tennis player especially on home soil.

It has to be said though - and this was aired during the Sky coverage tonight - that there are those who think he has an excuse every time things don't go his way unlike the likes of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer who tend just to get on with it.

What Andy needs (IMHO) more than anything at this stage of his career is some sound advice from those he trusts in his inner circle. If he can pick himself up from this latest setback and prove all those doubters wrong nobody would be happier than me.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 am

utter rubbish nb if you'll excuse me for saying so. Djokovic has blamed other factors for pretty much every defeat this year, while Fed and Nadal aren't blameless in that respect either. Murray was clearly injured yesterday, had this been a minor tournament I doubt he'd have even played, but he gave it a go, and it didn't work.

He's now, rightfully, worried that by playing on it could be worse. You say Melbourne is a while away, but it's only about 6 or 7 weeks really, which isn't that much for an injury to heal.

You say Nadal, Djokovic and Federer "tend to get on with it", but all we've heard from Djokovic since Us Open is "shoulder this" and "shoulder that". For me Murray did try to get on with it, hence no story about the injury before the tournament (which he's now getting ironically blamed for by HE). Heck, he only had one MTO throughout the match.

Ultimately, he knows his body better than anyone on here, so who are we to be casting aspersions on his motives for pulling out? The last time he pulled out of a tournament he'd started was Dubai 09 (this includes retiring during a match) and that was a virus which kept him out for about a month if I recall correctly.

I find the whole debate sickening TBH, and that's probably my final say on the matter, I'm now going to turn my attention to the actual tennis.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 am

Spot on Mad for Chelsea. Remember that his pre-Australian Open tournament is even shorter away (about five weeks) plus remember I'd imagine would come a break and then the working to get up to full fitness prior to that and you don't want a ripped groin muscle etc going into your start of season preparations.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:47 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:utter rubbish nb if you'll excuse me for saying so. Djokovic has blamed other factors for pretty much every defeat this year, while Fed and Nadal aren't blameless in that respect either. Murray was clearly injured yesterday, had this been a minor tournament I doubt he'd have even played, but he gave it a go, and it didn't work.

He's now, rightfully, worried that by playing on it could be worse. You say Melbourne is a while away, but it's only about 6 or 7 weeks really, which isn't that much for an injury to heal.

You say Nadal, Djokovic and Federer "tend to get on with it", but all we've heard from Djokovic since Us Open is "shoulder this" and "shoulder that". For me Murray did try to get on with it, hence no story about the injury before the tournament (which he's now getting ironically blamed for by HE). Heck, he only had one MTO throughout the match.

Ultimately, he knows his body better than anyone on here, so who are we to be casting aspersions on his motives for pulling out? The last time he pulled out of a tournament he'd started was Dubai 09 (this includes retiring during a match) and that was a virus which kept him out for about a month if I recall correctly.

I find the whole debate sickening TBH, and that's probably my final say on the matter, I'm now going to turn my attention to the actual tennis.

Sure he will get 6 weeks rest and will get better for next year, but he is young and it's worrying to see him getting injured so often and so easily, here while training.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice to see some of you guys don't obviously share my views. Perhaps you also feel he doesn't own the punters anything either.

Sure players moan about their injuries from time to time but only Andy seems to make a drama out of it.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:40 pm

newballs wrote:.... but only Andy seems to make a drama out of it.

Another 2 come to mind in that category...and they are better than Murray in all department....including that one.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Apologies that should have read "owe".

What I will agree with mfc on though s that perhaps it's time to move on with this and simply watch the tennis.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Nonsense. If I were him my number one priority would be my own health and fitness and being fully fit for the start of the new season when much bigger and important challenges lie ahead. Besides if it is fans who spend their time bad mouthing him on forums he owes them nothing. Genuine fans will be disappointed his season has ended this way ad is he but will wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him raring to go at the start of the new season.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Nonsense. If I were him my number one priority would be my own health and fitness and being fully fit for the start of the new season when much bigger and important challenges lie ahead. Besides if it is fans who spend their time bad mouthing him on forums he owes them nothing. Genuine fans will be disappointed his season has ended this way ad is he but will wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him raring to go at the start of the new season.

Exactly, injury withdrawals are part and parcel of the game. Their main responsibility is to themselves.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm

CaledonianCraig

I'de forgotten about this until you bumped it back upto the top again...

Did anyone see Boris Becker talking today about Murray's injury. Saying that it was odd that no-one in the press room asked him what the injury was. He said he would quite like to see a Doctors note about what exactly was wrong with him. He also pointed out that the AO is 6 weeks away and that he personally would have continued to play. It was all surprisingly harsh the implication being he could have continued.

Also I think he may regret that comment he made about "letting his tennis do the talking" with reference to Federer. I doubt he will be allowed to forget it. My question earlier (that was jumped on by Murray fans) was why did he say such a thing when he knew he wouldn't even be playing if it was a less important event. I certainly wasn't saying he should admit to carrying an injury but why be provocative when you know you are unlikely to be able to back it up?

He needs some good advice handling the media. Does he not realise this? Why does no-one on his pay role point it out? Unless he does he will continue to attract the wrong sort of publicity.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 pm

hawkeye wrote:CaledonianCraig

I'de forgotten about this until you bumped it back upto the top again...

Did anyone see Boris Becker talking today about Murray's injury. Saying that it was odd that no-one in the press room asked him what the injury was. He said he would quite like to see a Doctors note about what exactly was wrong with him. He also pointed out that the AO is 6 weeks away and that he personally would have continued to play. It was all surprisingly harsh the implication being he could have continued.

Also I think he may regret that comment he made about "letting his tennis do the talking" with reference to Federer. I doubt he will be allowed to forget it. My question earlier (that was jumped on by Murray fans) was why did he say such a thing when he knew he wouldn't even be playing if it was a less important event. I certainly wasn't saying he should admit to carrying an injury but why be provocative when you know you are unlikely to be able to back it up?

He needs some good advice handling the media. Does he not realise this? Why does no-one on his pay role point it out? Unless he does he will continue to attract the wrong sort of publicity.

Sounds like a bit of bravado in the hopes of recovering on time. Don't really see the problem.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Remember Boris is a retired tennis player. It's not his body that has to go out and play with the risk of worsening the injury.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Can't beat a bit of Murray bashing.

Can someone point me to a tournament he pulled out of 'suspectfully'?

Again I would like for someone to tell me what a 'Drama' is over a injury?

Did anyone see the Tipsy match at the end? Was he 'putting' it on for the cameras?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Pathetic really. Was there any Murray fans on here kicking up a stink and claiming what Federer owed the fans when he unexpectedly pulled out of the Shanghai Masters this year claiming to be needing a rest. No of course not. But here we have one of his fans here having a go at Murray for pulling out when at least he gave it a go. Shows what sort of agenda the OP has does it not.

Apologies for bumping this piece of tripe up to the top but this is my last say on this matter.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:20 pm

legendkillar Tipsy fell over three times on match point and looked suitably pi**ed off at losing. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Andy kept dropping out hints (like it or not) that he was thinking about pulling out. Again nothing wrong with withdrawing but plenty of room for improvement with his PR.

Finally ask yourself this question. When the likes of both Henman and Becker have both aired their respective views on what it is that lets him down and (surprise,surprise) they are both in pretty much total agreement what that is then why the wailing and gnashing of teeth when certain members of this forum happen to concur?

Got to go now as Djokovic is about to start playing...

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/15848501.stm

What are you talking about newballs? I see nothing with Henman questioning Murray's injury in that link. The only thing he says is he'd like to see Andy's mental focus improve and I am in agreement there. No teeth-gnashing from me and by the way since you want to take what Tim say as gospel he thinks Andy has a slam win in him.

Right I am definitely out of here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 pm

He was injured, he tried to play, it didn't work out, he withdrew. End of story.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next