The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open

+10
John Cregan
BlueCoverman
super_realist
EmmDee57
Davie
princedracula
4putt
Mary
kwinigolfer
Maverick
14 posters

Go down

Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open Empty Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open

Post by Maverick Thu 24 Nov - 10:59

Its hard to know what to write for this week. I didn't provide a weekly last Week event though we had the ISkandar and JOHOR events, mainly because they were pretty much non events. I know I shouldn't say that as there were some good names in the fields but hard to get excited when you have 2 sanctioned events running as the fields get split and rarely do we see exciting golf.

Credit where it's due though. A good win for Luiten in the Iskandar (yet another rain shortened event to 54holes) and to Mulroy for his win at the beautiful picturesque Leopard Creek.

So to this week again 2 events running the Biggest of the 2 the Omega Mission Hills Golf World Cup.

- Defending Champions the Molinaris return to the scene of thier historic win
- Team Ireland or should I say GPrat and MidgetPrat seem to be up for it, however from the press conference and interviews they have given, you'd not be far off thinkng they've only gone along for the jolly of a matey round of golf instead of actually wanting to win it for their country.
-Team England, Poults and Rose seem to be up for it to but in a golfing sense both having said they;d be proud to win it for England and look forward to doing what they can to do just that.

So to the other event of the week.

The South African Open Championship
-Big Ernie looks to defend his title, though with the Belly he is using he looks more like having to defend his decision to switch to the much debated long putter.
-Last time out runner up by a single shot Goosen seems to be startng to hit the ball well and his bunker play is it ever anything other than exceptional
-Not much else to add to it really as not many big names in this field but plenty of winners from this year, and even more guys needing something to maintain their spot on tour for 2012. So come on Matt Haines do it for Kent and for the fact we have a game coming up soon.

No further news on Q School as the 2nd stage is not until 2nd December but as soon as we have news of it, you guys will be the first to know. But on that note one to watch out for in SA this week is EuroPro tournament winner and current Q School attendee USA player Dodge Kemmer, seems to have bundles of talent and choosing to go the Euro route rather than PGA Tour so keeps your eyes peeled.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open Empty Re: Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Nov - 11:45

Looking forward to the S.A. Open, something about National Championships, and sure Els and Goose will be competitive again. Form from Goosen last week that he'd kept hidden for six months.

And also on a European note, Darren Clarke is off to a promising start in Australia.

Hope Poulter is suitably inspired by events from The Emirates; would be good to see them coming down the final nine holes with, say, Kings Charl and Louis, and a couple of recent US Open winners.

Good luck to Matt Haines . . . .

Good read, Mav thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open Empty Re: Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open

Post by Mary Thu 24 Nov - 12:53

Cheers Mav - you've set the scene nicely!

Damned insomnia - I might get to see some of the Mission Hills live coverage. Rolling Eyes

My son is in SA for Sunshine Tour Q School, and is popping down to the SA Open today. Will let you know if he has anything interesting to say about it!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Thu 24 Nov - 18:53

England finished the first day with a middle of the field score of -6.
The break down of their scoring was.
Rose 7 birdies. 1 bogey.
Poulter 0 birdies, 1 bogey.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 24 Nov - 19:01

Scotland go low, helps that Laird chips in for eagle on a par 4! And holes his bunker shot on 18 too.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 24 Nov - 19:35

Good start by Ireland and Scotland... The Aussies are leading despite being probably the only country who sent there what you'd call a B-team (Green/Jones).

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov - 19:41

Quick question, should this be a sticky in place of the previous Tour Edition sticky?

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 24 Nov - 19:46

Y I Man wrote:Quick question, should this be a sticky in place of the previous Tour Edition sticky?

See the last line of the OP

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov - 19:46

I didnt read the article, but thanks for confirming.

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 24 Nov - 20:58

Go Team Scotland!!! Very Happy

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 24 Nov - 22:09

And if you wonder what Rory does these days in his spare time, there's a flavour...

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/holly-takes-a-swing-at-ex-mcilroy-with-her-lsquogolf-pro-tennis-hoesrsquo-themed-dinner-party-2944622.html

It's probably a bit early for him to have to sort out issues related to the ladies in his life, hope he'll be able to deal with all that sort of stuff without his game being affected...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Nov - 23:11

For a bloke so ugly, he does quite well with the ladies.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 25 Nov - 5:12

Nothing to do with a few million quid in the bank then Super?...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 25 Nov - 5:44

Sounds like my son had a good day at the SA Open. He was working on some chipping with David Howell (not sure who was helping who!). Howeller knows that I am his number one stalker, ooops, I mean fan - and has sent me a little present!

Mavs Weekly European Tour Edition - Mission Hills World Cup & SA Open Howellersglove

Happy Days! Yahoo
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Nov - 7:17

Mary,
I think we're all curious to hear what "last" item you will reciprocate with. Signed, of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 25 Nov - 7:58

Good question! I will have to give it some thought.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Nov - 8:09

Don't want to put you on the spot! Next!!
Good luck to your lad, I hope you'll let us know how the experience goes for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 25 Nov - 8:12

Cheers - will do.

Good to see Ireland and Scotland near the top of the leaderboard after day one. Does Ireland count as one country for this comp, as opposed NI and ROI?
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Nov - 10:08

Looks like it.
But very pleased to see Martin Laird come out of hibernation; he's spurned a number of decent paydays recently, including the HSBC Champions, but he's in the Chevron field.
The forgotten man on here, but his achievements the past three years on the PGA Tour have not been surpassed by too many Europeans; Justin Rose maybe, Rory of course, Lukey I suppose, but not too many others.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Nov - 19:07

Can't work out if I find the Volcanic look of mission hills appealling or appalling!
The holes look well laid out but think the lava/volacanic rocks make it look a tad scruffy.

Love the look of the 2 courses we seen in SA the last couples weeks, firstly Leopard Creek and this week Serengeti Hills some fine looking holes with beautiful back drops.

Back to the golf, Aussies still going nicely, Ireland(shouldn't that be Northern Ireland) doing ok would be better if McIlroy could putt and they didn't make silly mistakes. Couldn't believe what I saw when McIlroy misread a 6 foot putt by about 3-4 inches

Gotta say at the moment I fancy the Scots to win this despite my disliking for the overhype surrounding Laird.

I see Camillo Villegas is now using the belly putter, but he and brother Handy Manny not fairing so well today too many big numbers on the card.

Awaiting the switch over to the SA Open, surprising to know that at #32 Simon Dyson is the highest ranked player in the OGWR playing in an event that deserves more prestige. Be good see a cluster of SA players like last year coming down the strecth

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 25 Nov - 21:12

Still expecting Ireland to win this. I know there's always space for even better things, but I thought overall Ireland played pretty well. As for Rory, I think it was more the case of little gaps of concentration, which we know he is 'capable' of producing every now and then, rather than some consistent poor putting pattern. In fact GMac in his interview seems to be pretty thrilled with Rory's putting:
"...Rory really putted well today, which kept things together."

4-under in foursomes is a very good result, best of the day anyway...

Good to see unheralded golfing nations such as Mexico keeping up with the big boys...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Nov - 21:24

Couldn't help but laugh at the comment about Rorys putting considering virtually every televised putt he made he either ran 5feet past or or missed the hole by a mile! If that's what the irish pair call good putting then no wonder Rory has sought Stocktons help!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 25 Nov - 21:33

Scotland will win this. Bad bogey on 18 but only 1 behind. It's encouraging to see Martin Laird playing well in this format. Hopefully he can make the Ryder Cup side next year as with his experience of playing in America he could prove a valuable team member.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat 26 Nov - 7:19

Have been so busy focussing on Howeller's score that I've only just realised that the lad my son was staying with is doing so well in the SA Open. Lyle Rowe - currently T4th. Hope that he can hold his nerve for the weekend - he finished bottom of the leaderboard last year, so whatever the result he has plenty to be proud of.

Mission Hills is still looking interesting - the answer to an insomniac's prayers!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 27 Nov - 1:12

Ernie Els with a quad nine today, ruining my fantasy aspirations. What's become of the Big Easy?
Assume there's every chance that a win or runner-up placing will get Goosen back into the top fifty, but Ernie'll continue to slide with this behaviour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun 27 Nov - 4:32

Mission Hills looks set for an interesting final day. Not sure I'm convinced that the Oirish eyes will be smiling at the end of it though.

Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 27 Nov - 10:46

Some changes in the wind for the 2013 World Cup?

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/world-cup-format-to-be-modified-2013/

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun 27 Nov - 19:32

I think that's a shame - I really enjoy the team golf aspect of the comp at the moment.

Have to admit I thought it would be the Germans who came through to win today. Great final round from Poulter and Rose - they must be thinking what might have been. Liked Matt Kuchar's interview - cannot doubt his genuine enthusiasm and delight at winning.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 27 Nov - 19:58

No smiles around here, haven't seen any of it, but that looks like a very disappointng last round by the two most fancied teams, Ireland and South Africa. Well done to the US team, and lots of credit to England for that result today. 9-under in foursomes is pretty amazing stuff! I'm glad in particular for Poults, based on what happened until yesterday, I thought if he's losing the aura of one of the best team/match players around, there'll be very little left for him to be happy about in terms of where his golf game is at the moment...

Hard to say how it will be like in the new format proposed, but one thing's for sure, a World Cup based around owgr points will be a very different animal all together...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 27 Nov - 22:46

PD,

Are they going back to 72 hole stroke and add up both players score??
This will see the return of the individual prize (with OWGR points) as well as the retention of the team event..................................

As for the Olympics, I couldn't disagree more with golf at the Olympics..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 28 Nov - 1:12

Otto throwing it away in SA, three bogeys in his last 4, could Wiesberger be about to back into the title? Good finish from Del Moral too, hoping that will be enough to keep him his card.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 28 Nov - 1:55

Otto clings on then, great effort by Wiesberger though, think they'll both be in the field for Dubai in a fortnight now. Carlsson and O'Hara headed to Q-school, Sky Sports seem to think Phillip Price is safe after a T35... not sure about that, think he'll have a nervous wait next week, but it means my man Del Moral almost certainly is. Worth noting too that if Price is safe, it might well be at the expense of Marc "thinks he's kept his card after the Dunhill Links" Warren... we suggested on 606 that one might come back to bite him.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 Nov - 2:35

Not quite so crucial for Phillip Price as he likely retains a "career money list exemption"?
Very pleased for DelMoral, feel as if I've followed vicariously via the Fantasy Leagues.
Marc Warren needs to start reading 606v2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Mon 28 Nov - 2:41

Was pleased to see young Lyle Rowe held his nerve to finish T13th. A great result as he was a pre-qualifier.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 28 Nov - 3:01

Never clear on how the career money stuff works, given some (Lane for one) seem to have been playing off it for years. But I think Price used it to get his card back last year, so he might not have it again. Warren seems to have just survived, a few hundred Euros clear of McGrane and Brier should keep him safe. Gareth Maybin needs a good finish next week though.

Mary, did you mention your son was staying with Rowe for Sunshine Q-school? Is he playing in it?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Mon 28 Nov - 5:26

Ned - yes, he was staying with Lyle and practising in Jo'berg. Has now moved on to the Sunshine Q-school venue - it starts on Tuesday. He's lost his Challenge Tour card for next year, so is trying something different.

Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 28 Nov - 8:23

Good luck to him then Mary, keep us informed as to how he's getting on!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 28 Nov - 21:03

kwinigolfer wrote:Not quite so crucial for Phillip Price as he likely retains a "career money list exemption"?
Very pleased for DelMoral, feel as if I've followed vicariously via the Fantasy Leagues.

Would be good to see Del Moral on the ET next season. After one of those chance moments when you get to see a pro practicing up close I think he has quite a lot to offer. Appeared to have Gagli under his wing too.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 28 Nov - 21:06

and since this the ET thread here's an interview with Peter O'Malley on his retirement from the ET - article link

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 28 Nov - 22:26

Great article Lairdy, Thanks!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 29 Nov - 0:56

kwinigolfer wrote:Not quite so crucial for Phillip Price as he likely retains a "career money list exemption"?

I'm not so sure about that Kwini; I think Phillip Price took the career exemption route in 2008 /2009 he was 100 in the race to Dubai in 2010 therefore had his card this year. He currently stands at 116 so unless he gets into the Hong Kong event (he is an alternate) presumably, he'll lose his card? Far more desereving than JD in my view

Can you take 'career money list exemption' more than once?

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 Nov - 1:27

Hi Yads,
Yup, Ned gave me the same rap across the knuckles about Phil Price, though it does seem Lane and McGinley have been claiming career money exemptions for slightly longer than forever. Think it's just time flying, too fast for my advanced years.

That's the trouble with ceremonial invites for the likes of Daly isn't it?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 29 Nov - 3:35

Cheers Kwini,

That’s what I thought, I have an interest due to Phil Price being distantly related; he’s been playing well recently but just not kicked on when in good positions going into the weekend. I hope he gets into the Hong Kong event (I think as of today he’s 5th on the waiting list). Nevertheless, even if he doesn’t he’ll still have a limited status to get him into some ET events and I’m sure he’ll get invites to others; a bit like JD suppose. One thing for sure, at least Phil will always have the balls to finish a round. Wink

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 29 Nov - 4:06

Yads,

worth pointing out that it won't be 115 that's the cutoff, due to there being guys above that mark who haven't played the min. number events and therefore getting struck off. The talk on ET.com over the weekend was of 118 being the bubble, so I guess they're including Moore, Jacobson and Lewis as guys who won't count... so it would seem Price needs no more than 2 of the guys behind him to pass him. Not sure of his chances even then though, cos most of his closest rivals are in the field: Khan (118), Horne (119), Maybin (120), Kapur (121), Dodd (123), Zions (124), Strange (125), Parry (126). Think only Khan and Zions of that group are exempt next year, so all to play for.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 29 Nov - 4:35

NedB-H,

Thanks for the info, I didn't quite realise how finely balanced it is and that you had to play a minimum number of events. Whichever way, seems like it's going to be close and I just hope he can scrape into the Hong Kong event to give him a fighting chance.

Interestingly, I notice that your location lists sunny Ceredigion; that's my location too. Cool

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 29 Nov - 6:30

Yads,
Are you from the Pontypridd area originally?
That's where my mother was born and bred - more into Vivian Jenkins at that time than Tom Jones. Apparently!

Regardless, a big fan of Phillip Price - no-one can ever take away from him his win over Mickelson, or indeed his fight down the "stretch" with Woods in the old World Series Of Golf. Hope his mini-revival this year may lead to greater success in 2012.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 29 Nov - 6:50; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 29 Nov - 6:46

Sunny Ceredigion is clearly a different part of the world to where I am! Though yesterday was fairly nice, and we had a good sunset today.

Price's career seems to be paralleling Stephen Dodd's more and more every year. Suspect they might be counting down the years til the seniors together.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 29 Nov - 8:35

kwinigolfer wrote:Yads,
Are you from the Pontypridd area originally?
That's where my mother was born and bred - more into Vivian Jenkins at that time than Tom Jones. Apparently!

Regardless, a big fan of Phillip Price - no-one can ever take away from him his win over Mickelson, or indeed his fight down the "stretch" with Woods in the old World Series Of Golf. Hope his mini-revival this year may lead to greater success in 2012.

Kwini - no I'm not from Pontyprdidd, I'm from Yorkshire originally, moved down to Wales over thirty years ago through work and married a gorgeous Welsh girl who is related to Phil Price's wife, Sandra. Fantastic people with a similar sense of humour to those from up north, great place to live and bring up the kids. I do miss Yorkshire now and again, especially the football (Sheffield Wednesday Rolling Eyes ) but get back for the odd game. I went to see Tom Jones in concert a couple of years ago: Brilliant.

Phil Price is a top bloke; he puts a lot back into Wales, not just in the area where he's from 'Mr Pontypridd', but throughout Wales which has included several local charities in Ceredigion.

NedB-H wrote:Sunny Ceredigion is clearly a different part of the world to where I am! Though yesterday was fairly nice, and we had a good sunset today.

Price's career seems to be paralleling Stephen Dodd's more and more every year. Suspect they might be counting down the years til the seniors together.

Yeah it does seem similar although I think Phil's won a few more pennies over the years and then, of course, the Ryder Cup victory (Don’t forget to tell them who I beat.’ Phillip Price, when being introduced to the crowd during the European celebration, after defeating Phil Mickelson in the singles!). As you mentioned previously, ironically, there is also the possibility that Stephen Dodd may demote Phil Price out of the 118 spot if he does well in Hong Kong.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue 29 Nov - 13:33

Good stuff, yads. I always enjoy reading of places I've never been to and even the innocent comments (i.e. "...with a similar sense of humour to those from up north") which more often than not reveal much more.

Regardless of the success it achieves, it seems the Mission Hills World Cup takes too much of a bite out of the South African Open when paired against it. With all due respect to the deserving Hennie Otto, the previous SA Open had a final leaderboard of Els, Goosen, Oosty and Charl in positions 1 thru 4.

Scouring the past champions list, it was nice to recall the name of Bobby Locke, whom I haven't read or thought about in years. He seems to be a name left off the lists when people talk of the past greats considering he was very prominent during his prime.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down