The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Rob Andrew Resign?

+5
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
propdavid_london
robshaw4england
9 posters

Go down

Should Rob Andrew Resign?

Should Rob Andrew Resign? Vote_lcap90%Should Rob Andrew Resign? Vote_rcap 90% 
[ 28 ]
Should Rob Andrew Resign? Vote_lcap10%Should Rob Andrew Resign? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 31

Should Rob Andrew Resign? Empty Should Rob Andrew Resign?

Post by robshaw4england Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

He has reiterated today that he will not resign. However what do you feel? If he does not end up resigning, do you think he should be sacked? if so, who has the authority to sack him?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Should Rob Andrew Resign? Empty Re: Should Rob Andrew Resign?

Post by propdavid_london Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

The whole board + Andrew - should do a reservor dogs style ending.

On a serious note -
Blacketts recommendations need to be made public now that Thomas has gone. Those that he recommended to go need to go. The remaining board members appoint a CEO that has full control and oversees the appointment of the 'full time' Head coach. And, team manager/elite director (someone for the head coach to report to)
The head coach has a 4yr contract (not results dependant for the first 2yrs) and freedom to pick his whole coaching team.
+ Freedom to pick his EPS squad.

All other systems are in place - the agreement with player release and facilities, all are top notch.
There you go chaps - its that simple. Job done.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Two Questions

1. What does Andrew really do?

2. Is he really the man culpable for all the current issues or are the press just going on a witch hunt...?

Stuart Barnes stated in the Sky Sports program on MJ leaving that Andrew opposed the hiring of Johnson, but was the only person who did. If that is the case, should he be help responsible for problems that he tried to prevent.

I also dont think that the problems surrounding the RFU and England Rugby team are really down to just one man, removing one or two people will not solve the issues at hand. A wider ranging enquiry has to un-fold to work out what needs to be done and how.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
1. What does Andrew really do?

2. Is he really the man culpable for all the current issues or are the press just going on a witch hunt...?
1. He gives us someone to vent our spleens about.
2. He is the son of satan (or Rupert Murdoch). Therefore, he can stand the heat (obviously).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

Let me answer more seriously, and I hope this sums things up well.

First, we are not sure the extent of his duties. And I would like to know.

But, I think it is irrelevent whether he opposed hiring Jonno or not. He has been part of a sputtering organisation for too long. Signs of life soon countered by failure. Over and over. On that score alone, he deserves to lose his job, even if executes to perfection the parts of his job we don't see or know about. Add to that the embarrassment of not accepting any responsibiity for the RWC performance. That reeks of a lack of accountability or leadership.

This is why he has to go. No other reasons.

A true leader leads by example, not by slipery political statements. And the RFU is an organisation, like most, which crave true leadership. Now more than ever.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

It is a shame to see Rob Andrew in such a state of blame. He was an outstanding Lions and England Flyhalf for a very long time, he was also a good coach and DOR at the Falcons.

He is the man who found Jonny Wilkinson, (although rumour has it it was steve bates).

That aside, who else do you guys think might be to blame for all this? In the last month or two we have seen Steel, Thomas, Johnson and now Smith all leave. Maybe Andrew now too?

Are these all the right people to be leaving? A lot of responsible people at the RFu will remain and what is to be said about them and their culpability.

I think it is unfortunate that the political manifestations have brought what was a private enquiry into the public light. Privately this matter might have been dealt with successfully in house. Now whatever happens will have full media driven public scrutiny, which could be good or bad...

But I would hope that after the resignation of Brian Smith today that the RFU takes stock and works out what is best for itself, its players and the national rugby teams cause. Otherwise this could drag on for weeks...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

I think Andrew's position should be reviewed by someone with all the facts because;

a) we don't know what his job description is and;

b) we don't know what effect his performance within that effected the team and the overall RFU.

Basically we need more info before calling for his head.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

Sam,
As I answered maesteg, I think those questions don't really matter regarding his continued employment with the RFU. He had a chance to act as a leader, to be a leader. And failed.

When a person leads an organisation, the ultimate job description is, well, lead. He failed. And in so doing brought the RFU even lower and further into disrepute. For that alone, he must go. In reality, nothing else matters.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

He is the director of elite rugby, it's a fairly unspecific title. What is he supposed to lead?

The first team? Surely that has to be the coaches and Johnno.

The RFU as a corporate entity? Well surely that's what the CEO is for.

See what I mean? It's alright saying he hasn't done anything but we don't know what his tasks were in the first place. If his job was to oversee the growth of rugby union in England, see an increase in the quality of the age groups and secure an agreement with the PRL. Then you can argue he's done a decent job.

However, if his job requires him to guarentee the success of the national team by overseeing all decisions as to hiring of staff, security and facilitating communication through the heirarchy. Then one might argue he's in the brown stuff.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

But than why was he sitting next to Jonno at the news conference? He must be connected, right?

And as long as his duties are secret, isn't that another argument for removing him?

The RFU is essentially a public trust for us, the players, coaches, supporters and Rugby people in general. He cannot be a secret hidden guy. Everything must be open, clearly transparent.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

I think he has been a complete disgrace during this whole affair,he diverted attention straight back to Jonno during his interview whilst Jonno just sat there and done the honourable thing.

He seems to want to divert attention onto anyone that will help divert it away from him.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

I understand Sam's point of view. He wants to know what Andrew was responsible for before determining if he deserves to be fired or not.

But, for me, Andrew just keeps popping up enough to say "not me" and diverts attention elsewhere. If he has been the RFU person to face the media and public most often, then he must offer the media and public more than pointing blame elsewhere, or at least denying responsibility. This function of his, as the puiblic face of the RFU, has failed. I simply cannot condone his continued association with the RFU at this point. Every time he faces the media, he makes the RFU look worse and worse. To me, this is very damaging, and why he has to go.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

Wasn't RAs original appointment about creating a bridge between the porfessional clubs and the international coaches, to that things like release periods and player schedules and remuneration could be negotiated. He did a pretty good job there, but that's all been in place for several years now. My suspicion is that since the agreement to form the EPS, Andrew has been under-employed and so has ended up meddling in all sorts of little things just so that he looks busy and justifies his (reputedly) very generous salary.

As for whether he should resign, I think at he moment the answer is no -, at least not until the RFU fills the CEO post and goes through the reforms that are being discussed. Subsequently and before we get serious about the appointment of a new England head coach and manager, he should be moved aside - perhaps to be coach of the women's 7s side?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:22 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15871153.stm

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:38 pm

Just saw that...!

Good to see him not hiding from the Headlines he's grabbing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm

Dude,
First, thanks. I really want to listen to what he says. I only got as far as him saying he is in charge of the professional set-up in England. Then I realised the interview lasts almost 20 minutes. I need more time for that. But I appreciate the link. I will watch later. Much appreciated.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

i think he has to resign. after all events at world cup, and other things happening over last couple of years, IMO his position is untenable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm

RA thinks that the RFU needs to sort themselves out.Has nobody told him that he is a major part of this august organisation?I'll have a pint of what Rob is drinking,please!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

Why is it everyone's fault but never Rob Andrew's?

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down