The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are?

+9
Jahu
Tenez
coolpixel
invisiblecoolers
laverfan
noleisthebest
time please
Calder106
FedsFan
13 posters

Go down

WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are? Empty WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are?

Post by FedsFan Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

The last four have been confirmed and the order of play is

Federer v Ferrer

Tsonga v Berdych

Who will reach the final? Will there be any upsets? On paper the first semi looks pretty clear cut. Fed leads the H2H 11-0 and the last time they played was one year ago at the O2. Could Ferrer pull off an upset just as Davydenko did when he went into the WTF semi in 09 having lost to Federer 12 times in a row?

This one is too close to call. Can Berdych beat Tsonga? I cannot see this happening as Berdych seems to be peaking at the right time. Plus he has been given a reprieve and he could just win this as he seems to be riding his luck.

What are your thoughts?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are? Empty Re: WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are?

Post by Calder106 Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:21 pm

Given the head to head and the fact that the schedule has been very kind to Federer (nearly two days rest as opposed to 16 hours) I can't see any way Ferrer will win.

Tsonga v Berdych much more interesting. I'll go for Berdych as although I think Tsonga is more talented Berydch seems to be holding it together well when the match gets really tight.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are? Empty Re: WTF Semi Finals: Your Predictions Are?

Post by time please Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

I am fairly confident that TMF will come through his semi - though I take your point, and remember with a shudder that semi of 2009. However, I think Ferrer is a little spent now and its a tough call to come back from a loss, after such an energetic first 2 sets from him, and turn it around tomorrow afternoon. I do feel sorry for him that he has drawn the short straw (on paper at least Wink after 2 straight set victories). You can never count Roger out to lose concentration nowadays though, so I am going to remain cautiously optimistic with all my fingers and toes crossed.

I just not sure how to call Berdych and Tsonga - but I think I am going to plump for the latter just because I think the victory over Rafa will have filled him with confidence. I feel Berdych has the better game when he 'is on', but my gut instinct says Jo for this one. I wonder if it will be a shotmaker's delight this match, or a massive let down?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm

Federer Tsonga.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:59 am

I too will keep everything crossed! Its those dips in concentration that let him down most times and the serve when it matters (FO 11).

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 2:06 am

Final Federer vs Tsonga
Winner Federer

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 26 Nov 2011, 3:43 am

Ferrer won two matches in straight sets against higher seeds (Murray and Djokovic) and should not be underestimated. It should be a nice three-setter.

Berdych and Tsonga seems to be a three-setter and close. Berdych fought back in the second set against Ferrer very well.

Tsonga perhaps had a shade easier match against Nadal, and the Fish match was a good one to win.

It would be good to see two well-contested SFs.

Edit: Federer is the only unbeaten player at the RR stage.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:03 am

Nore Staat wrote:Final Federer vs Tsonga
Winner Federer
thumbsup similar view here.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:12 am

will fed be no 3 if he loses in semis?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 8:47 am

Federer v Tsonga

HOWVER Tsonga doesn't do well against heavy hitters. However the slow pace and his volleying could give him an edge.

Not so sure about the final..hoping Federer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 8:47 am

coolpixel wrote:will fed be no 3 if he loses in semis?

Nope. He would fail very short.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:37 am

Fed to beat Ferrer.

The other semi is wide open.

I expect Fed to win in the final. He virtually always brings it in the final and rarely plays a poor final match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

Fed in 2 against Ferrer.

Berdy in 3 against Tsongs.

Fed in 2 to win final.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

well Ferrer has been completely shot down by the schedule, he won't beat Fed when Fed's had two days to rest and Ferrer's had about 16 hours. Poor.

Tsonga vs Berdych is more open, Tsonga on how he's played so far should win, but Berdych will be dangerous.

Fed will win the final.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I dont expect Ferrer to roll over. He s playing far too well this year and he has nothing to lose. Fed is chasing a record and though he says he is not under pressure im sure he is. At 30 he doesnt know how many more season ending finals he may make etc. H2h means nothing with the way things have been going lately. He cant afford to underestimate Ferrer as he did against Davydenko in 09. First set is key when playing someone who has continually lost to u as mentally Ferrer might struggle. Hopefully 2 tight sets will do the job.

Second semi open for me but I give Tsonga the edge based on form. Not sure who i would like to see go through. Law of probabilities suggests Tsonga is due a win v Fed. He was close the other day. Berdych too has the game to rout Federer.

All depends on which Federer shows up. If its the one who played Nadal the title is in his grasp. If the one who played Fish shows up, he does not have much of a chance.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

Why would the one who played Fish show up? That was effectively an exhibition match with little pressure; it wouldn't have made sense to him to perform like he did against Nadal in that match. I think the actual Fed shows up and wins quite comfortably, the semi at least.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

It was always going to be a huge ask for Ferrer to take out Federer here, even before last night's deflating denouement. Any player needs time to re-energise after that sort of collapse but time is something he doesn't have. And as for the bigger picture, well he's coming up to 30 in a few months and this could well be his last realistic shot at a WTF title

Tsonga v Berdy a tougher call. Tsonga must be feeling on top of the world right now. I pick him to get to the Final, but don't think he'll have it all his own way

Tsonga - if he carries on where he left off against Rafa - definitely has the weapons and momentum to upset Federer on the day. But of course Fed has the comfort factor that comes from having seen & done it all so many times before ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

lags72 wrote:

But of course Fed has the comfort factor that comes from having seen & done it all so many times before ......

True, but look at the USO v JMDP. Five time winner against someone a maiden finalist. There is always a good chance a lapse in concentration can swing momentum as it did with Ferrer yesterday. 10 mins of poor play cost him that match.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

I think Tsoga is the slight favourite for this event; he pushed Fed very hard in the first match and the final set was a toss up.

I would back Federer to beat Berdy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 26 Nov 2011, 1:02 pm

Tsonga is almost unstoppable with that serve, it's just his mentality.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down