The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fair play to Stephen Jones

+3
westisbest
maestegmafia
westernosprey
7 posters

Go down

Fair play to Stephen Jones Empty Fair play to Stephen Jones

Post by westernosprey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15839478.stm

You must admire his desire to carry on. He is fit, injury free, playing well and still has the hunger for the national sport. He is very patriotic and loyal. Maybe if he had had priority over Hook in the world cup we would also have made the final? Who knows.

When you read things like this it makes you think is Shane Williams bailing out now to avoid any future embarrassment and the unthinkable event of "being dropped". Williams has been a great servant for Wales, but I feel he still has the fitness, pace and lethal finishing to make him a huge asset for Wales for several more seasons. If it is for family reasons then fair enough or maybe he isn't enjoying it as much any more. Surely with Wales having such an impact at the world cup you would feel that Williams would want to hang around for the chance of 1 more piece of silverware.

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Fair play to Stephen Jones Empty Re: Fair play to Stephen Jones

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

What an awful conundrum to decide when enough is enough and whats done is done.

A great servant, a steady hand, a wonderful bloke. Many of us differ in our views of him as a player. But his dedication to the cause, to always play at his best is unquestionable.

I personally would have rather taken the Shane Williams option rather than what Steven Jones is doing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

I think Stevo is taking the right option. I think if you are playing regional rugby, and are fit and healthy, you should always be available to play for yout country. It doesn't mean that the national set up will necessarily pick him, but it's great to know that while he is still playing rugby, and at a high standard, he is still available to Wales.

Stephen Jones is an absolute credit to rugby union.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

I do like Stephen Jones.

Great player and seems like a great guy to.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:41 am

There was an American baseball player who once said "I love baseball above all else but my family. They will need too rip my uniform off my cold dead body."

I know we all want to see player retire from Rugby when still on top of their game, but I understand the sentiment. Not being in their position, I can't judge or even offer a recommendation. But if someone wants to keep playing and they earn their spot on merit, then more power to them.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Well he played better than Tovey last night I thought.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

wellies will be playing for llanelli seconds when he is 50. he's that sort of player. a total professional but still plays with the enjoyment of the school-boy player

i hope he gets a few more caps
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Stephen Jones is an absolute credit to rugby union.

+ 1. I've always rated Jones. I think he and O'Gara have been the outstanding NH 10's for the past decade. He always seems underappreciated in Wales which I could never understand because hes such a wonderfully well rounded fly half and was fundimental to Wales grandslams. I suppose he doesn't fit the bill of the Welsh wizard maverick fly halves but he's been a credit to Wales and the game in general.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down