The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaguars fire Del Rio.

+7
CFCNick
mikeygnfl
Grizzly
crazy_dave23
Colan (niner)
El Capitan
Derbyblue
11 posters

Go down

Jaguars fire Del Rio. Empty Jaguars fire Del Rio.

Post by Derbyblue Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

The Jacksonville Jaguars have fired coach Jack Del Rio after a 3-8 start, parting ways with him during his ninth season.

Del Rio's job security had been tenuous since owner Wayne Weaver said the coach needed to make the playoffs to secure a 10th season in Jacksonville. The Jaguars were essentially eliminated with Sunday's 20-13 loss to Houston.

The Jaguars are struggling to sell tickets and host a Monday night game against San Diego.

Del Rio leaves with a 69-73 record, including 1-2 in two playoffs appearances. The Jaguars didn't win the AFC South in any of his nine seasons.

Weaver considered firing Del Rio after last season, but kept him partly because of the uncertainty surrounding the NFL lockout.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hibkkqv9DhkLvodTEpGh4tQif1Vg?docId=371517eb85c4478287a79533f7dc3251

I doubt it's really a shock to anyone, but could the team really have done much better than 3-8?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Jaguars fire Del Rio. Empty Re: Jaguars fire Del Rio.

Post by El Capitan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

it's been coming for a while I think.

Good luck to the new head coach that gets to inherit Gabbert Erm . Surely they go to the draft for another QB??

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

the jaguars are the least talented team in the nfl, i highly doubt anyone could do better. They have one elite guy in mjd and thats it. Gabbert has no receivers, an overated tight end and from what ive seen, an o-line that gives him no time. The D is ok but i have just seen that mathis will be out of contract and he is one of their better players.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

Apparently the Jags are being sold to Shahid Khan (he has previously attempted to buy the Rams) but they supposedly will be staying in Jacksonville. One thing being mentioned as part of Del Rio's downfall is current NFL legend TIM TEBOW! Obviously his magic is still strong over the people of Florida and drafting him last year would clearly have saved Del Rio his job. Some sarcasm there but it is believed Tebow would have at least helped the Jaguars sell tickes.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:55 pm

Au Revoir Jack... Not surprised at the sacking, but slightly surprised it happened mid season... i'm not a fan of that given how short the NFL year is.

QB play hasn't been up to standard, but then again they simply don't have the receivers and I could have told you that Marcedes Lewis big year last time out was a one off. Still worth giving Gabbert the season, but he will have to pick it up next year or else turn into Brady Quinn / Matt Leinart.

Saving grace is that they are half decent on defense.

In terms of the owner, the current incumbent has stated that Shahid Khan wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, but I'm not sure why. Its clear the city cant support the team. They simply dont sell out games because Jacksonville isn't that big, Florida is packed with major college teams (ignoring the other two NFL teams and those in neighboring states in the Deep South) and the economic climate has hit Florida worse than most. The owner said something like Khan had "a connection to Jacksonville" and wanted the team to remain there... I doubt it since he was bidding for the Rams and I'd imagine is just looking for a piece of the revenue pie... LA

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

He kind of signed his own P45 when he cut Garrard IMO though I heard he's developed some injury problems that maybe the Jags knew about before cutting him.
They've been stuck behind a Manning led Colts team for years and have competed against the likes of Steelers and Texans this year who seem certain to be play off bound, so they are far from a franchise in disarray.
It's about that time of year to be fair, I doubt Jack will be the last

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 30 Nov 2011, 12:41 am

Are we about to see the birth of the Los Angeles Jaguars? Or even at a longshot the London Jaguars?
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

The Jags were sold yesterday. New owner said he will keep them in Jax but who knows what can happen in 2-3 years?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204449804577068521537649462.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Just seen above comment

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

The Jags were sold yesterday. New owner said he will keep them in Jax

Until he can build/rent/lease a stadium somewhere else?

Surely they go to the draft for another QB??.

Can they suck enough for Luck?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
The Jags were sold yesterday. New owner said he will keep them in Jax

Until he can build/rent/lease a stadium somewhere else?

Surely they go to the draft for another QB??.

Can they suck enough for Luck?

Nah the colts have already got that down locked in

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:52 pm

I was surprised to see his record was below .500. I had a sense he had done better than that since they were a very good team 3 or 4 years ago. Was a shame for him that they found themselves in the same division as the Colts at the peak of their powers! His time to go had probably come though - they just seem to be treading water now.

What will happen now to Gabbert is going to be really interesting to watch. Before last year's draft, some analysts reckoned he was the best QB available but he's been well and truly upstaged by the likes of Newton and Dalton. Is he the next big QB draft bust? Or will a new coach be just what he needs?

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

Can't see how you can call him a bust when his supposed all pro caliber receivers/ tight end are dropping easy catches and he's under pressure all the time. I think he needs another season before he's labelled a bust. Besides, if he turns into another Sanchez, he'll still be better than at least a 3rd of the starting QB's out there (and both the Skins 'starters'!)...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

Wasn't really calling him a bust based on his body of work in the NFL to date. Of course he needs to be given more time. However, if he's no more effective this time next year than he has been to date in the NFL then people will be starting to label him a bust. That was the point I was trying to make and also that maybe a new coach will help breathe some life into his NFL career. Could of course go the other way and a new coach will decide he doesn't like him and go in a different direction!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

No, I get what you meant, I just responded to your question, but I meant it as a generic response, not aimed at you.

He's still plenty young enough to be moulded if he has the tools. Question is whether he is now shell shocked or actually tough enough to succeed in spite of this year.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm

I think it's tough for a new coach to come to Jacksonville, what success do these people expect if they wanted Del Rio gone? There could be something behind the scenes which is making the players not perform well but I doubt it, the same as football when a team underperforms the manager takes the blame and not all the players out on the pitch.

Skins4ever makes a good point apart from Maurice Jones-Drew who has actually performed well this year for the Jaguars?

I think Gabbert could be sort of like Tebow in Denver, in that the new coach already has his hands tied a little because of the expectations surrounding a 1st round QB and so they may have to at least give Gabbert a chance to prove to if he was ever worth the pick before going and choosing their prefered franchise QB. Soon you'll all be hearing about #Gabbertmania.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down