The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters who would clean up........now!

+2
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
ONETWOFOREVER
6 posters

Go down

Fighters who would clean up........now! Empty Fighters who would clean up........now!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

Heavyweights - Larry Holmes.

His physique and quick jab alone are enough for him to run through every heavyweight contender including Haye. As for the Klitschko brothers Vitali would pose the bigger problems but that jab would land all night. I have him winning by decision. Wlad would get koed I think we can all agree.

Cruiserweights - Evander Holyfield.

Just no argument here the greatest Cruiser ever.

Light heavyweights - Ezzard Charles.

Many good options like Tunney, Moore, Saad but Charles was a special fighter combining ability with knowledge. On another level to Dawson and Hopkins. Cleverly would learn a lot from him.

Middleweights - Carlos Monzon

Can't think of many who had such a dominate prime as Monzon. Names like Napoles, Griffin, Briscoe, and Benvenuti pretty much made my mind up. In that talent pool he faced all types of fighter, expert counter punchers, power hitters, defensive masters and technically sound fighters, Not sure any of the current crop of middleweights would deal with a prime Monzon. I could have chosen Hagler but clever fighters like Martinez would pose him issues.

Welterwieghts - Sugar Ray Robinson

Can we really debate this? Some may say Mayweather would beat him but his record at Welter is almost unbelievable.

Featherweights - Prince Nazeem Hame/Abe Atell

2 different fighters. I think Nazeem's style coupled with his power was good enough for any era of the featherweight division. Awkward and very dangerous, Abe Atell was a real champion who had 1 of the best reigns plus he faced a very good crop of the best around.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Fighters who would clean up........now! Empty Re: Fighters who would clean up........now!

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

I think Nas would struggle with Gamboa. Gamboa has the speed and power to match Nas and I'm not sure Nas's unorthodox style would cause as many problems for a guy as gifted and a bit unorthodox himself in Gamboa.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Fighters who would clean up........now! Empty Re: Fighters who would clean up........now!

Post by Nico the gman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:07 pm

I honestly believe there's one fighter from this country who would clean up, I can't think of anyone at Lightheavyweight who would beat Conteh.
Conteh was a big strong Lightheavyweight,great boxer who could go in the trenches and mix it if he had to
I think Ezzard Charles is an obvious choice but he beats just about everyone in history.

Sugar Ray Leonard at Welter,speed,power,chin,footwork the full package,even Mayweathers defense wouldn't keep Sugar Ray out for 12 rounds, Ray would get to him,anything Mayweather could do Ray can do it better,fancy Tommy Hearns to clean up as well.

MIddleweight Hagler cleans up for me cut above any Middleweight around at the moment even Martinez.

Featherweight Azumah Nelson great chin, strong, great power quality boxer, don't see anybody in this era beating him.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

Too broad a spectrum mate. Picked a decade and then we can work from there.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:21 am

Archie Moore for me. A man willing and able to fight month in and month out against many top contenders for years on end. When you look at propsects such as Cleverley and compare them against this legend, there can only be one outcome

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

Ricardo Lopez or a prime Ivan Calderon. Some good fighters at the lower weights like Joyi, Ioka, Menayothin, Gonzalez, Solis, Hernandez and Nietes but none have the sort of skill that Calderon in his prime possessed or as well rounded as Lopez. Two genuine ATGs of the smaller men.

Another plus point for Calderon now would be that Segura is now a flyweight because he was all wrong for Calderon. A 5ft 5 light flyweight that threw as many punches as Segura was never going to go well for Calderon. He would have been a real handful for Lopez as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

This is like saying 'the greatest fighters of all time in their respective divisions would clean up the champions now that aren't quite so great. Well, yeah...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:45 am

He should have done what fighters from each decade would clean up now. Starting with the 90's. There could have been some mileage in that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:47 am

Yeah agreed.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down