The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye Bye Bruce

+3
Kay Fabe
Crimey
ReallyReal
7 posters

Go down

Bye Bye Bruce Empty Bye Bye Bruce

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 6:23 pm

Sacked.

21pts from 81 available, such an awful record for Sunderland. Can't blame the board for getting ride. Does this now set a domino effect for other managers being replaced? Should Coyle start to sweat?

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Bruce Empty Re: Bye Bye Bruce

Post by ReallyReal Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

As a Latics fan I just have to laugh, the guy did a reasonable job for us but also brought in about 2 squads worth of players, many of whom were on silly contracts and barely got on the pitch, when he left to shop at Harrods he left us with a wage bill that was more than twice what it currently is and it seems he did a similar thing at Sunderland.

The guy is a serial signer of players who are out of their depth and I just hope other clubs realise this, he just not upto the task of being a PL manager unless given an open cheque book.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

He lost Bent, Welbeck and Gyan all within a year and that would hurt any team. Although, his record was never excellent, I think he suits a team in the lower echelons of the table.

Signing 10 players in the summer was odd, and cost him I think as they just didn't gel together quick enough for it to work.

Mark Hughes, Martin O'Neill are the favourites, and I think Sunderland fans would be happy with them.

I've also heard rumours of Bruce to Blackburn.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

He knew Welbeck was leaving and was half-expecting Bent to go, he should have invested a bit better than an unexperienced 18 year old lump like Wickham.

MON seems bookies favourite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

im suprised he didnt get given longer, however the form they were in, its relegation form, so perhaps they would get very shaky

Martin o'neill would be the logical choice...

or curbishley.....

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

There's a good article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked about how out of his depth Bruce was.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm

You could see it coming, he's been stealing time for ages, no-one expected him to get big results this season after losing Gyan but he was expected to do a lot more than he has.

He had to be a bit wiser than to blow the best part of £10m on Conor Wickham, as good as he could potentially be, he was never going to be the guy to rely on to get goals, it was a risky move and one that's backfired, it was an ambitious move to be fair but for me, Bruce and Sunderland had to go with experiance, someone like Bobby Zamora would have been a much safer option

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:55 pm

What I will say though is that it was pretty common knowledge that while Celtic where Martin O'Neill's Scottish team, Sunderland where his English one growing up, so you've got to imagine he'll take the job if offered

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:30 am

I don't really feel sorry for any of them if they lose their job. Imagine how much Bruce has in his bank account. He will probably take a nice holiday for a while and then be offered some job in another club. Even if that doesn't happen, he will probably get some job in the media. There is no comparison with normal working people losing their jobs and these guys.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackem Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

The thing with Conar Wickham was Bruce never played him. I know he said he was one for the future, he started one game against Villa and scored. His second start he got injured 30 seconds into the game.

I'm suprised at the timing if i'm honest. Thought he would of got the Wolves game and then Blackburn the week after, but with the transfer Window coming up soon I can see the logic.

Personally I would go for Slaven Bilic. He says he wants to manage in the premier league. Unproven at this level I know but perhaps that is what we need.

Another name I think will be good is Steve McClaren (I normally get hit with a brolley everytime I mention his name). He won a cup with Middlesborough and took them to a UEFA Cup final. He lead FC Twente to the championship in the dutch league (agreed, not the hardest league in the world but its a league title). The England job was too big for him and I believe he left Forest because of broken promises. I think Sunderland could be ideal for him.

Mackem

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

i think it's too early to sack bruce but that's football these days, too fickle
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

jro Sunderland have been struggling for the best part of a year now, the performance more than the result on Saturday was the last straw

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:49 pm

People keep saying he spent a lot of money at Sunderland and so should've achieved more. I'm not so sure. Taking into account the £35m they received for Henderson and Bent, i'd be surprised if their were many managers in the division whose net spend as been closer to zero.

Wenger would be one, obviously. Possibly Moyes. I couldn't think of another, off the top of my head, not from a club with hopes of the top ten anyhow.

He had to go, his new team didn't look like it was going to work, but Sunderland, for me, are a mid-table side, and so their supporters shouldn't be too disheartened with their current plight, it's about par.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down