The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other?

Go down

Who was the best Fledgling (including Roy Keane)?

Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_lcap29%Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_lcap0%Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_lcap0%Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_lcap43%Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_lcap28%Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Empty Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other?

Post by All Time Great Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:23 am

Can we restart this debate without childish bickering please because I actually find it rather interesting now that Fergie's fledglings have reached the end of their careers.

Firstly, the obvious players to compare against would be the founding members of the fledgings' with David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Philip Neville, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.

Although, both talented footballers of their era we can safely say Nicky Butt and P Neville would fall into the bottom two of this category, with P Neville in my opinion having the better career and longevity given his career with Everton post United. Although, it has to be noted Nicky Butt had a terrific world cup in 2002 with even the great Pele giving him a notable mention.

Moving onto Gary Neville, albeit he was a right back and obviously will receive less kudos as a result. It has to be said, he was one of the best right backs in the world in his era. In addition to this, his positional and tactical awareness gave him the ability to be able to play at Center back. If it wasn't for the demise of the 3-5-2 formation, Gary Neville (all 5ft 10in of him) could well have been remembered as one of of England's greatest defenders of all time. Despite this, he had a stellar career which gives him a solid Forth place.

Controversial perhaps, but now moving onto David Beckham my third placed candidate. At the start of his career I would say in terms of talent Gary Neville and Nicky Butt may of had more going for them, but Beck's quickly developed to possess one of the most lethal right pegs in the business. His ability to deliver a ball without having to beat a man was second to none, with the likes of RVN, Cole and Yorke feeding on his delivery. On the international stage, his engine and athleticism could only really be rivalled by Owen Hargreaves (see Eng vs Port 2004). However, I feel he may of fell just short in the talent stakes of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Next up in second place is Ryan Giggs. The talented Welshman was always destined for the stars and unfortunately for him a few hamstring injuries during some of the earlier years in his career may of denied us a chance to see how truly devestating he could of been, for example scoring double figure goal tallies a la Cristiano Ronaldo. For me, he makes it to number two above Beckham on talent alone and of course his longevity to be a United player and performing consistently.

Now this may be a controversial, but my number one goes to Paul Scholes, arguably because he was probably the most talented footballer of the lot and actually reached his full potential (with the exception of David Beckham). Scholesy, although modest and sometimes not as noticeable as the aforementioned fledgings goes down for me as the best of the bunch. Much is made of David Beckham's performance against Greece, but I think Paul Scholes' performance against a strong AC Milan side in 2007 and an up-and-coming Barcelona side in 2008 is superior to that of Beckham's performance against Greece. His style of play was detrimental to the success of United's play, although you can argue a 2007/8 team with Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney in the side Scholesy's importance wasn't as high; I could always find a place for Scholes in that side. Whereas, if Giggs or Becks were around in 2007/8 either one of them could of had their services rendered as not required.

So there you have it! How does everyone else see it?

Last edited by All Time Great on Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other? Empty Re: Where do you rate Fergies' Fleglings against each other?

Post by All Time Great Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:25 am

If Roy Keane was involved, I'd have him above Beckham but below Giggs and Scholes.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down