The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please.

+6
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
skyeman
Corporalhumblebucket
Gregers
Fists of Fury
10 posters

Go down

606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please. Empty 606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please.

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

Evening team

To follow on from Skye's thread earlier then, let us cast our votes upon who we believe to be deserving of an award in the following categories.

Post your votes in this thread, no need for it to be carried out by PM. Here are the categories, and my votes to go with them.

606v2 Cricket Awards

Overall Poster of the year: Very tough one this. Mike Selig, Guildford and Hoggy would probably be my top 3, but I'll lean toward Mike for consistency and his passion for a wide range of cricketing topics.
Most insightful poster of the year: Guildford, most certainly. Leaves no stone unturned when explaining his own take on matters at hand. Honourable mention to the Corporal.
Funniest poster of the year: Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler has made me laugh on several occasions.
WUM of the year: Has to be our friend sonic, doesn't it?
Argumentative poster of the year: Shanky and cricketfan share this award, after numerous spats with each other!
Thread of the year: Though it is in its infancy, the 606v2 Cricket Hall of Fame, for consistency of high quality debate and the opportunity to learn a great deal.
Funniest thread of the year: I know it was one of mine, but the 'Alien Invasion' thread turned out to be rather amusing.
Post of the year: Slaterslc posted one that had me chuckling in the 'Alien Invasion' thread where he listed alien ass kicking movie stars. Guildford's defence of Cowdrey was a corker, too.
Lifetime award: Cricketfan90 for his boundless enthusiasm and prolific posting rate.
Your personal 606v2 Cricket highlight of the year: For me, the addition of All Out Cricket to the forum, who I feel have provided some excellent topics over the past couple of months.

So gents, what are your thoughts?

Can I just take this opportunity to say a massive thank you for consistently contributing toward a quite excellent cricket section, and making the lives of myself and my fellow admins/mods incredibly easy due to your mature and easy going nature. Hopefully we can continue to recruit new members as we move into 2012 and add to what is already a thriving forum. I'll certainly do my best to make that happen, and hopefully you chaps can keep up your activity levels along with the outstanding knowledge base you bring.

The likes of All Out Cricket and Barrington Sports have commented on what a fantastic cricket forum they perceive this to be, and have mentioned the harmony and lack of idiots as a specific reason as to why that is the case, along with the quality of posts.

Cheers

Fists

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please. Empty Re: 606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please.

Post by Guest Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

Overall poster: JDizzle: fantastic posting, and has a wealth of cricket knowledge

Most insightful: Guildford. Fantastic stuff, and also delivers updates on the surrey boys

Funniest poster: Mike. Very funny, and also produces some cracking statements.

Wum: Sonic/Anu share this amazing award

Argumentative: Shanky (i cant vote for myself)

Thread of the year: All the england vs India ones, when we beat them 4-0 Very Happy

Funniest thread of the year: Anu's one on the spot fixing, (need to look at the facts first Wink

Post of the year: I agree with u fists.....quality stuff

Lifetime award: hmmm not sure (fists for superb work on this board)

Highlight of the year: Being able to talk all things cricket with all you guys Smile

Back to top Go down

606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please. Empty Re: 606v2 Cricket Awards - Your votes, please.

Post by Gregers Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:43 pm

Overall poster: Fists - Place wouldn't run without you mate!

Most insightful: Got to be Guildford hasn't it?

Funniest poster: PSW!

Wum: Anu!

Argumentative: Shanky. Based on him pming me lots!

Thread of the year: Ravi Bashing!

Funniest thread of the year: Alien Invasion

Post of the year: All of the All out Cricket ones

Lifetime award: Can we give it collectively to the Surrey lads?

Highlight of the year: The IPL Fantasy league, I know I run it but I've loved it

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:01 pm

Your IPL does deserve an honourable mention, Gregers.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

Overall poster: Fists for consistently stimulating high quality debate
Most insightful: Guildford who often makes the comments I wish I had made
Funniest poster: I'm struggling here as it's the numerous good natured exchanges and banter between different combos from time to time that makes the site what it is....
Thread of the year. Hall of Fame - for high quality debate
Funniest thread of the year: As has been observed, as regards Barrington the Corporal is a banker. Shocked So to avoid disappointment I have to nominate the current caption comp on Barrington which has thrown up a host of witty suggestions.
Lifetime award: SirFred for opening the batting for his club for 35 years Very Happy
Argumentative: Shanky
WUM of the year - Sonic wins at a canter
Most useful smileys: Shocked Erm
Post of the year: need to think about that one....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm

Overall poster: The hardest of all the awards for my vote. Mike, Guildford, FoF, The Corporal, JD, MfC and Hoggy all deserve a vote each. They have a good to thorough knowledge of the sport and with their posts comes a sense of thoughtfulness and great passion. But by a slender margin my vote is for Mike Selig.

Most insightful: Guildford is an easy vote for me on this one. His perception is amazing and he picks things up that i could never think of.
An honorable mention to the Corporal too on this one.

Funniest poster: Guildford. Made me and the wife laugh several times.

WUM of the year:I was not on 606v2 when Sonic was about. So Anu-D gets my vote.

Argumentative: Cricketfan gets this one, but he has calmed down recently.

Thread of the year: Definitely the Hall of Fame. Some strong debate but in a civil manner.

Funniest thread of the year: The Barringtons competition thread for me.

Post of the year: Guildford. Cowdrey's defence.

Lifetime award: Cricketfan gets this one, even in the birth of this section when it was quite quiet he still had much enthusiasm and tried to get conversation going.

Highlight of the year: The IPL Fantasy league. A great deal of thought and effort.

Last edited by skyeman on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:28 pm

overall poster of the year: going to go with guildford on this one, great knowledge of the sport, and always interested in having civilised debates. Honourable mentions far too many to remember, but msp deserves a shout as our "Indian correspondent".

most insightful: going to go against the grain here and go for Mike. I've already given guildford the overall award, and I find Mike's insights on what it's like to work at the highest level (albeit in a "smaller" cricketing nation) absolutely fascinating.

funniest poster: trebellobaggins and his reverse-jinxing technique. "Sri Lanka should save this comfortably" when they were 8 down in Cardiff springs to mind.

WUM of the year: we've had a few, usually swiftly dealt with. Sonic takes this award for me. anu_d you could usually have a bit of banter with or at least show her positions to be ludicrous, but sonic just came up with "such-and-such is useless and will have no influence on [upcoming series]" before going "it was a lucky spell/innings". Boring, the worst kind of WUM.

Argumentative: Mike takes this one again, in a positive way. Never afraid of unpopular opinions, and backs them up well.

Thread of the year: the HoF one, great debate, plenty of divided opinion, but always civil. Represents all that's great about this forum.

Funniest thread of the year: tough one as I struggle to remember individual threads sometimes, but the Alien invasion one is hilarious.

Post of the year: Guildford's case for Cowdrey: a magnificent effort.

Lifetime award: toss up between Fists and cf, but I'm going to go with Fists for his dedication to keeping this a site where we can continue to talk about all things cricket in a civilised manner.

Highlight of the year: so tough to choose: the IPL fantasy league has been great fun, the developping partnership with AOC is great, and so many interesting discussions, so I'm going to go for a group award: the whole section, threads and posters. Well done to everyone clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:18 am

Overall poster of the year: Mad for Chelsea. Many great posters, but I will go with MFC when any number of people could have won it.

Most insightful: Mike Selig, step forward. Seems to know everything from the inner workings of the ICC to club cricket in the outer reaches of the world. Shoe in for this award.

Funniest poster: Guildfordbat. Mixes in some insane knowledge and strong opinions, well supported, with a mix of good fun!

WUM of the year: Anu_d just pips Sonic at the post.

Argumentative: Our lovely moderator Sainty! Simply for the line "Delhi's top 3 get blown away" you know he is going to fire back with haste!

Thread of the year: Ravi NoHopara

Funniest thread of the year: Can't remember which one exactly, but it was in the IPL which had a page of banter with Sainty, Fists and Gregers remenicing about early Uni life. Great stuff.

Post of the year: CF for, I can't remember the exact post, but it was something about Pettini being a better pick for a CC XI than Trescothick! We love you really CF!

Lifetime award: Going to give this to Gregers for his work on the IPL. Great effort to keep it going for this period of time and keeping it from descending into total chaos! Great stuff.

Highlight of the year: Sorry msp, but the thread were England went to number one in the world. Great moment.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Dec 2011, 5:59 am

Overall poster, Cricketfan. How can you not with his enthusiasm for the sport.

Most insightful, well perhpas most knowledgable non South African poster about SA cricket, Stella.

funniest post Alien invasion and slater

I do like the all out cricket threads a lot too.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Overall Poster
Well, there are many with more knowledge than me but if I had to pick one then it would be Hoggy_Bear.
He even know things that happened in 1893, which suggests he is either very old or does a lot of reading.

Funniest Poster
Skyeman
Always up for a laugh and like any good man, will laugh at himself.

WUM
Anu_D
There are only one or two, so not a difficult one to pick.

Thread Of The Year
The HOF one. Great debate. As you may know, I do enjoy the alltime threads.

Lifetime - Fists.
The rock of 606.

Best Duo - Shanks and Cricketfan.
Just like George and Zippy. Funny reading.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

George and Zippy Laugh

Hallo Jeffrey!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:52 pm

Here we go.

Overall poster of the year: Fists of Fury. Creator of many first rate articles prompting great debates. Always much easier to comment on an article than to produce one.

Most insightful poster: JDizzle. He knew about James Taylor's move to Notts about six months before Little Jimmy and the Notts Cricket Committee! Probably better than any, JD manages the most difficult part of posting - listening to other people's views before finalising his own which adds to his credibility.
Honourable mention to MadForChelsea whose posts are always on the money.

Funniest poster: The Corporal. He so often manages to highlight something quirky from another post or a day's play, ending with his Shocked trademark look.
Also, during the County Championship season the Surrey match threads are full of humour and the Corporal leads his troops perfectly as we too often wobble from one disaster to another.
Honourable mention here to TheGooch7 who deserves far more than the summer Surrey contract that 606 v2's Management appear to have given him.

WUM of the year: if there's no chance of meaningful debate and a bit of good natured banter, I normally withdraw pretty quickly so I'm not the best to judge. Probably, Sonic.

Argumentative poster: without a shadow of a doubt, Mike. Championing the cause of the disgraced Greg Chappell, pushing for recognition of the unknown Belinda Clark, turning down the Case for Cowdrey, having the temerity to suggest that the Windies held together by the glue of Larry Gomes were not the greatest team of all time - the list is clearly endless and totally unreasonable! Wink

Thread of the Year: Hall of Fame. Posting at its very best.
Honourable mention to Hoggy's thread Pre-War v Post-War. Excellent teams suggested and a very fine summary of advantages and disadvantages of batting in each era.

Funniest thread of the year: Worst cricketers ever to play test cricket for England by LivingInItaly. Almost producing tears of frustration and laughter at just how bad some of our '80s cricketers were!
Honourable mention to the Surrey v Essex Away CC game towards the end of the season set up by JimBobGooner. In typical sports fan fashion, the article and early posts concentrated on us all slating the out of form Chris 'River' Jordan and utterly condemning Chris 'Grizzly' Adams for his selection only to end with our singing their praises to the rooftops as River hit two fifties and took a handful of wickets!

Post of the Year: Dummy-Half's on the RIP Graham Dilley thread -
'' I remember one funny bit of commentary from Benaud during the Ashes win on Gatting's tour. RB described the two England opening bowlers as something like 'Dilley: tall, blonde, graceful and long necked, and Gladstone Small, who isn't.' ''
Besides deservedly paying further tribute to Dilley, this post illustrated the wit and wisdom of Benaud as well as injecting some much needed humour into a poignant situation.

Lifetime Award: The person who has signed up for a lifetime and certainly deserves a massive award is Mrs Skyeman. Very Happy
Honourable mention to Mr CricketFan whose enthusiasm knows no limits.

Highlight of the year: After years in the cricketing doldrums being able to enjoy a promotion and trophy win on here with all the Surrey boys.
Honourable mention: Having the opportunity to revive memories of watching Eddie Barlow more than forty years ago and share them with JDizzle who displayed (or feigned) such great interest.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Highlight of the year: After years in the cricketing doldrums being able to enjoy a promotion and trophy win on here with all the Surrey boys.
Honourable mention: Having the opportunity to revive memories of watching Eddie Barlow more than forty years ago and share them with JDizzle who displayed (or feigned) such great interest.

Feigned! I am always glad to hear stories of Eddie! Just a shame they make me a little depressed thinking I would probably be a better cricketer if I had abandoned the cross batted slog like he suggested*. I think we are both a little jealous of each others luck. I would have loved to have seen him play in the flesh, and I am sure you would have got more out of a being around with Eddie than a 12 year old JD who didn't know who he was! For that I can only apoligise.

*I say suggested. More forcibly told. Maybe Eddie would have made our Top 10 All Rounders if he had let me instruct him in the ways of being more agricultural. Wink

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:47 pm

It must be an aim of ours next cricket season to award those on summer contracts a full time deal. It'd be great to retain them during the off-season.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

OK then, here goes:

Overall Poster of the year: Tough one. Numerous people are worth a mention. I'll go for JDizzle: all his posts are thoughtful, balanced, well-argued. Honourable mentions to Guilford, Hoggy, MfC, FoF, probably others.
Most insightful poster of the year: Guildford, definitely. Has an immense knowledge of the game and it shows. Honourable mention to the corporal, and hoggy, the latter posts less often than some (he probably has an actual life) but all his posts show great awareness.
Funniest poster of the year: Have to agree with MfC and go for the reverse jinxing trebell.
WUM of the year: Sonic by a mile. Anu didn't even come close. Sonic's ability to criticise Graeme Swann no matter what the topic was amazing.
Argumentative poster of the year: I return the compliment and nominate Guilford for his clearly wrong views on a variety of topics. In all seriousness I've really enjoyed those debates, and he always manages to bring me to the brink of doubting myself, but not quite.
Thread of the year: I feel HoF is running away with this one, and rightly so. I add my vote to the majority. Honourable mentions to pre-war vs post-war and the "favourites" thread which I really enjoyed as well.
Funniest thread of the year: laughed out loud several times for the Alien Invasion thread.
Post of the year: I'm going for a shorter post than most. In the pre-war vs post-war at one point Hoggy posted a comparison of advantages and disadvantages enjoyed by old-time and modern cricketers. It was an outstanding effort of clarity, concision and covered all the essential points. It saved me waffling on for ages.
Honourable mention to Guilford's sensational defence of Cowdrey.
Lifetime award: FoF for his work on the site. Thanks!
Your personal 606v2 Cricket highlight of the year: I'm going to be unoriginal and agree with MfC. The whole section. Easily the best forum I've ever been on. The standard of debate is high, the passion is great but there is also respect amongst members. Love the fact that so many genuine cricket fans with so many different experiences can come together and have a chat about so many things.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:49 am

JDizzle wrote:

Feigned! I am always glad to hear stories of Eddie! Just a shame they make me a little depressed thinking I would probably be a better cricketer if I had abandoned the cross batted slog like he suggested*. I think we are both a little jealous of each others luck. I would have loved to have seen him play in the flesh, and I am sure you would have got more out of a being around with Eddie than a 12 year old JD who didn't know who he was! For that I can only apoligise.

JD - you should not apologise. We are all beneficiaries or victims of our age and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I do agree about both of us being a little jealous of the other.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down