The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish crowds

+16
RuggerRadge2611
thebandwagonsociety
Kingshu
overlordofthewest
geoff998rugby
George Carlin
IanBru
RDW
greybeard
TJ1
Smirnoffpriest
Golden
nickj
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
GLove39
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scottish crowds Empty Scottish crowds

Post by GLove39 Mon 5 Dec - 16:02

For a while the size of crowds at Edinburgh & Glasgow games has rightly been a great concern to many, and since it's a slow day at the 'office' I thought I might as well have a look at the attendances so far in the pro 12 as compared to last season.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have played 5 home games each so far this season. And the good news is that for both teams, the average attendance (after 5 games) has improved on last season.

Edinburgh getting an average 621 more fans per game, and Glasgow managing to coax 373 extra fans to Firhill. Admittedly these figures aren't as impressive as I hoped, they do show a positive trend. And if Glasgow can continue their unbeaten run of 6 games in the rabo, and Tim Visser continues to delight hopefully we'll see these figures improve further.

Hopefully lots of people will take advantage of the SRU's buy a ticket for Scotland V France and claim the free ticket to the 1872 cup bash.
Last year from the two legs a combined crowd of 16,354 watched Glasgow battle it out. Hopefully they can try and break the 20K barrier?

2011 / 2012
Edinburgh v Blues - 2,431
Edinburgh V Connacht 2,354
Edinburgh V Munster 3,467
Edinburgh V Leinster 3,580
Edinburgh V Aironi 4,403

Average 3,247

2010/ 2011
Edinburgh V Munster 2,879
Edinburgh V Leinster 2,923
Edinburgh V Ulster 3,195
Edinburgh V Treviso 2,422
Edinburgh V Connacht 1,707

Average 2,626

2011 / 2012
Glasgow V Munster 2,914
Glasgow V Treviso 2,864
Glasgow V Dragons 2,705
Glasgow V Ospreys 3,443
Glasgow V Ulster 3,940

Average 3,173

2010/2011
Glasgow V Leinster 2,879
Glasgow V Connacht 3,049
Glasgow V Munster 3,432
Glasgow V Ospreys 2,554
Glasgow V Aironi 2,087

Average 2,800

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Scottish crowds Empty Re: Scottish crowds

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 5 Dec - 16:23

Nice work, GLove, let's hope the trend continues and the success on the pitch that is driving it too OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 5 Dec - 16:26

And then in ten years time you can average as much as the Welsh regions, who are roundly condemned for failing to bring the punters in.

Can anybody give a sensible reason for Edinburgh playing in Murrayfield?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 5 Dec - 16:27

Lack of alternatives - SEEMPLES

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 5 Dec - 16:27

What, not even a decent soccer pitch holding up to 10k?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 5 Dec - 16:32

GLove, nice post. Glad to see the positive noises around Scottish rugby is having an impact on gates. Its great to see.

As is the positive press coverage. Someone mentioned the gate for the Edinburgh game was bigger than the Gloucester vs Newcastle game.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 5 Dec - 16:32

The way edinburgh are playing at the moment should get some punters in. What do you think of Bradley as a Coach???

What are the attendences like when they meet each other?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 5 Dec - 16:35

I mis-read that for a minute and thought you said it was good that Edinburgh had managed to coax 621 fans to their games on average - and I thought jesus Scottish rugby is in trouble!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 5 Dec - 16:48

Tehre desparatly needs to be some promotion. Myselfadn my friends are the sort of people that should be being targeted but we always forget to get organised as there is no mention of the games in the general press / advertised anywhere

A few years ago there were loads of deals on offer and the games were advertised. Now they are not. e used to go now we don't simply because we forget to check

I would prefer somewhere other than murrayfeld but there really dosn' t seem to be an alternative

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 5 Dec - 17:12

Wouldn't it be better to compare the 5 games already played this season with the attendances at the same matches in previous years? The first five games in any given season won't have the same pulling power as another season.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 5 Dec - 17:29

Glas a du wrote:What, not even a decent soccer pitch holding up to 10k?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times does someone bring this up on a post regarding the Scottish club sides!!!!!! Drives me mental!! Not a dig at you Glas a du, you're just the unfortunate person to ask it the one extra time it needed before I snapped! steam

So, as you may have gathered, this topic has been discussed to death both on V2 and the old 606. I can remember at least 4 topics that have brought this up since I joined V2 and I even made an article of my own all about it, to try and stop its current recurrence!

So, here is why Edinburgh play at Murrayfield:

Point 1 - nae cash. This is the be all and end all that feeds in to every option available.

Option 1 - football stadiums

Hearts and Hibs are around 18k seaters but the pitches are tiny - smaller than Firhill. Also the SRU don't want a power struggle with football, as well as paying football money when Murrayfield is empty (see point 1)

Option 2 - Meadowbank

Better option than Hibs or Hearts stadiums but is literally falling apart and would need substantial investment (see point 1)

Option 3 - build a new stadium

See point 1

Option 4 - temporary stands on the back pitches

This is the overwhelming favourite option for all fans. However - see point 1.

That only leaves 1 thing - stay at Murrayfield until there is more cash in the SRU!

And how to get that is another topic altogether....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 5 Dec - 17:32

Back to the topic - is good to see an increase but tbh I think we need to wait 'til the end of season figures to know if there is a real improvement.

I know it is obvious but that clearly proves what can happen if the teams are winning. 4400 vs Airioni?? Would never have happened if the team weren't playing attractive rugby and winning.

I agree regarding the 1872 cup - there's really no reason why we shouldn't be aiming at 20 000 at Murrayfield and over 10 000 in Glasgow in the coming years. I don't care if half the tickets are given away free - we need people coming through the turnstiles in the first place if we ever want them to come back regularly!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 5 Dec - 17:46

Thats what it needs, children free, adults a fiver, by two get a third free and advertise the games. get the crowds there

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 5 Dec - 19:47

RDW, it's a team for the eastern half of Scotland! Surely there's a stadium within an hour North or South?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 5 Dec - 20:42

Yes but I'd say 90% of the fans come from central Edinburgh, and wouldn't go if it was anywhere else. Also - see point 1!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 5 Dec - 21:08

Have you approached the SNP?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 5 Dec - 21:27

Me personally?

Only reason I'd approach Salmond is to kick him in the nuts! steam

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 5 Dec - 21:56

Ask him to build a rugger stadium. If it has a duel use, like a state opening of the SP or Burnes suppers for the toffs or something he might go for it.

What about Ingliston, the RDS worked for Leinster. Plenty of parking, convenient for the airport, cracking setting. You could use the food hall as an indoor training facility.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 5 Dec - 22:35

OK, crazy idea, but with the Commonwealth Games coming up in Glasgow, there was an opportunity (now probably missed) to create a multi-sport venue in central Edinburgh.

As it stands, the field hockey will be played in a temporary venue in Glasgow Green. If the organisers had been willing to accept that some sports would be played outside of Glasgow (as London 2012 have done), you could build a combined hockey/shinty/rugby venue in one of the many green spaces in central Edinburgh. Raeburn Place or the playing fields of Heriot's RFC are just a couple of ideas.

The one thing that's clear is that the process of building a new purpose-built stadium will have to start as soon as possible. Temporary stands at the Murrayfield back pitches is fine, but this can't be a permanent solution. I've been quite encouraged by Mark Dodson's stated intention to bite the bullet by picking one of the many options and actually forging ahead with it.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 6 Dec - 6:46

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Glas a du wrote:What, not even a decent soccer pitch holding up to 10k?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times does someone bring this up on a post regarding the Scottish club sides!!!!!! Drives me mental!! Not a dig at you Glas a du, you're just the unfortunate person to ask it the one extra time it needed before I snapped! steam

So, as you may have gathered, this topic has been discussed to death both on V2 and the old 606. I can remember at least 4 topics that have brought this up since I joined V2 and I even made an article of my own all about it, to try and stop its current recurrence!

So, here is why Edinburgh play at Murrayfield:

Point 1 - nae cash. This is the be all and end all that feeds in to every option available.

Option 1 - football stadiums

Hearts and Hibs are around 18k seaters but the pitches are tiny - smaller than Firhill. Also the SRU don't want a power struggle with football, as well as paying football money when Murrayfield is empty (see point 1)

Option 2 - Meadowbank

Better option than Hibs or Hearts stadiums but is literally falling apart and would need substantial investment (see point 1)

Option 3 - build a new stadium

See point 1

Option 4 - temporary stands on the back pitches

This is the overwhelming favourite option for all fans. However - see point 1.

That only leaves 1 thing - stay at Murrayfield until there is more cash in the SRU!

And how to get that is another topic altogether....

Glas - yes, you accidentally hit on the biggest single thing annoying Edinburgh supporters. Apart from possibly a tram which has apparently caused a bit of disruption in town. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 8:50

George Carlin wrote:

Glas - yes, you accidentally hit on the biggest single thing annoying Edinburgh supporters. Apart from possibly a tram which has apparently caused a bit of disruption in town. Run

furious steam boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 8:55

Glas a du wrote:Ask him to build a rugger stadium. If it has a duel use, like a state opening of the SP or Burnes suppers for the toffs or something he might go for it.

What about Ingliston, the RDS worked for Leinster. Plenty of parking, convenient for the airport, cracking setting. You could use the food hall as an indoor training facility.

He's far too interested in ruining Scotland than building sports stadiums!

There was talk relatively recently of David Murray funding a sports stadium out in Ingliston that the SRU could join in on. I, however, really don't like the idea of Edinburgh playing out at Ingliston. It is in the arse end of no-where (next to the airport) with no bars, food places are anything like that near by. It is literally a big outdoor venue with big sheds and no one there unless an event is on. Murrayfield has 4 pubs in the direct vicinity as well as food joints and shops. It is 10 mins from Haymarket train station and 15 minutes from Princes street and the centre of town.

To get to Ingliston you would have to drive or get a bus taking 20 minutes (from Murrayfield, 30 from town) and once you get there it will be a big empty barren wilderness other than the stadium!

There's more to a sports ground than just the stands and I think moving Edinburgh to Ingliston will lose a lot of the support.

No thanks.

Unfortunately there aren't many other locations for a new venue, should the SRU ever be able to afford it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 6 Dec - 9:00

Glas a du wrote:What about Ingliston, the RDS worked for Leinster.

Actually it doesn't they are planning on moving

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Tue 6 Dec - 9:13

Out of curiosity, how much is a ticket to watch Edinburgh or Glasgow?
Are they doing the same as the Welsh regions to attract the younger generation eg free kids tickets cheaper student tickets etc.

It's good to see that sales are improving and the clubs need to take advantage. As mentioned above - buy two tickets get a third free etc. Get some of the players into town and the uni to promote offers etc. As long as season ticket holders don't get forgotten about - I say this as I met a few Blues fans who were regular season ticket holders, decide not to renew a couple of years ago as with all the free tickets being thrown around and offers available for single games, it worked out cheaper - Maybe offer international tickets with a season ticket bundle sort if thing, you'd have more through the door watching Scotland too that way.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 9:23

Tickets are 20 quid and 10 quid for adults and students respectively if you buy at the stadium. They are 5 quid cheaper if you get them before 5pm on match day. Think kids tickets are a fiver but more often than not there are free ticket offers.

I have to say the marketing this year has been the best it has ever been - I even got a text from "Tim Visser" asking me if I was coming to the Airioni game!

The players spend a lot of time visiting schools and taking kids coaching sessions etc which is great. From an Edinburgh perspective we seem to really be focussing on the kids with these visits to schools and buy 1 adult ticket, get 10 kids free kind of things.

The difficult market however, and the one that you need to make money, is the full price adult tickets. The market I think they need to try and get in to is the people actually involved with rugby clubs in Edinburgh, be it playing, coaching, running or watching. If the game is on a Saturday this is a non-starter as they will be playing themselves. However, if it is on a Friday night then there is no excuse.

Something like half price tickets if booked through your club or something, maybe even give the clubs a commission for ticket sales. There are probably around 4000 registered rugby players in Edinburgh (depressing eh?) and that number can easily be doubled when you consider the coaches and those who run the clubs themselves, as well as the supporters of each club.

I think it would be great if 15-20 of us from my club came to watch Edinburgh on Friday night, have a couple of pints and talk about our coming game the next day. Get another 50-100 clubs doing the same and you start building up your crowd!

There is a great offer just now where if you buy a ticket for the France 6N game you get a free ticket for the Edinburgh V Glasgow derby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 6 Dec - 9:23

Where are Leinster moving to Geoff?

I heard they pay the highest rent in the league (more than the football stadiums charge), Donnybrook is to small, and New Lansdowne Road is too big. Also I thought the RDS will be Leinster's home until 2027, as a 20 year lease was signed in 2007?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 6 Dec - 9:25

I actually don't know but they do have some building planned and I know it is not at RDS. The high rent is a major factor. As a guess they probably have a buy out clause after a number of years (6/7 ?) - only a guess though

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Tue 6 Dec - 9:51

RDW - It looks like Edinburgh are doing all the right things and hopefully things will continue to improve.

The point you make about other clubs playing at the same time is the same for us. A fair size group of us (25 ish) watched the Scarlets play at home at couple of weeks ago as it was on a Friday night. There are only 9 of us going to watch the game this week as the others are playing for their club (I don't play - too old!) and the tickets started at £11 each - that's to watch the Scarlets play Munster in the HEC. I know that there's only a difference of 16 or so and that's not going to make any huge improvements to ticket sales. However, something that was banded about was the local clubs playing early on a Saturday and running a bus to the region later. If that was adopted by all the regions and an agreement reached with the smaller clubs (maybe pay for the transport) then the numbers could significantly increase. I don't see why this couldn't work in Scotland too, Im sure there are problems with it but it sounds like a good idea to me.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 6 Dec - 9:57

When looking at it Geoff, I found

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2011/11/15/leinster-rugby-to-move-to-ucd-campus/

But its a training ground move, maybe this is what you picked up on, or maybe they plan to build and move to UCD? Expand the UCD Bowl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCD_Bowl

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 9:58

I'd love to see the clubs mroe involved with Edinburgh games but, tbh, there's almost a "them and us" relationship between the pro teams with the SRU and the club game in Scotland. Clubs are trying hard just to stay afloat just now and they aren't overly interested in losing some of their punters to go to an Edinburgh game.

As we've been saying though - if you can do it on a Friday night when the clubs aren't playing then great.

I don't see clubs being happy having an early kick off to allow people to go to the pro game as they would lose bar takings from people hanging around after the game.

I really would like to see more clubs coming along though - a bunch of loud rugby players would make a much better atmoshpere than the prawn sandwich brigade and the elderly that you often get at Edinburgh games!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 6 Dec - 9:59

Kingshu wrote:Where are Leinster moving to Geoff?

I heard they pay the highest rent in the league (more than the football stadiums charge), Donnybrook is to small, and New Lansdowne Road is too big. Also I thought the RDS will be Leinster's home until 2027, as a 20 year lease was signed in 2007?

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a 10 year break in that, so 2017. 2 years to build somewhere gets back to 2015, 2 years in planning phase 2013. So plenty of time yet.

The RDS is a nice venue but at the end of it all, they are playing on an equestrian venue. It will be tricky for them to move somewhere, RDS is so central (from a Dublin point of view) its great to catch a game and head into town afterwards. But for people coming up to the big smoke it is buried a long way from the bypass. Maybe if the incinerator is finally scuttled in ringsend, Munster could lend the engineering plans to TP (save the IRFU some money) and TP2 could be constructed there (with 10 extra seats for one-up-man-ship).

Interesting point earlier on not hearing about the game. I don't know the details for it but there are 2 radio stations 'sponsoring' Leinster FM104 and Newtalk. But because of that you will always hear on both stations a nice bit of evening and morning sport talk mentioning Leinster games. Scottish teams could do a payment in kind deal. Bring in a station as a sponsor for a notional amount and then the station provide a certain amount of airtime building up the the Glasgow/Edinburgh game discussing it, etc.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 6 Dec - 10:37

I think the Kick off times are an important factor, as the Regions/Provinces/City sides, are set up to provide a higher level of rugby than club rubgy and should complimnet it not compete with it.

This is why I'm happy with Friday night games, alot of people on these boards say Kick off should be at the tradition time, but I think that tradition KO's time should be the Clubs time and the Regions/Provinces/City sides, try not to compete.

Saturday is a hard sell anyway with Football kicking off at the same time, theres a gap for Friday night games, and thats what we should be going for.

Ulster for me is great on a Friday, just the 7.05 Ko is a bit early, 7.30 would be ok and 7.45 better.

Citys like Edinburgh and Glasgow can support Friday night games better that most, I can see why Connacht, Dragons and Scarlets dislike them, but every other team is based in an area with a high population density and should be able to hold friday night games.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 6 Dec - 10:54

RDW_Scotland

The people they should be aiming at are people like me and my friends - interested in rugby but not club members. A few years ago there were adverts on the buses, telly and radio - that got the notice of a wider audience. We also used to be able to get free tickets a lot of the time.

The crowds should not be treated as a device to make money - its an small sum in comparison to the total outlays. Instead it should be used to expand the audience for he games by widely promoting he games and making it very cheap / free to get in to build audience.

Better to have ten thousand at £5 a go that threethousand at £10

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 6 Dec - 11:22

I understand your arguments but the proximity to the airport makes it ideal for travelling fans. Is driving 20 minutes really going to kill you? It may be the arse end of nowhere, but I guarantee you that if the council allow an out of town development close by that can change.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 6 Dec - 11:25

Ingleston - would reduce crowds significantly IMO - I certainly would never go as I don't drive

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 6 Dec - 11:35

A few points being raised here which I'll adress in turn.

Stadia :

Untill Meadowbank is either saved/renovated in the same way as Scotstoun in Glasgow, Edinburgh will (and rightly so) play their matches at Murrayfield. There are a number of reasons for this. Pitch size and price being the most important factors.

Tynecastle vomit and Easter Road thumbsup are too small for Rugby pitches. With the Jambos in dire straits financially I can't really see Tynecastle being there in 10 years time anyway.

Meadowbank would be perfect however as I said in another thread it's a product of a few decades ago. It was acceptable in the 80s.... a bit like Calvin Harris. Unless it gets a huge revamp in partnership with the SRU and Scottish Athletics and any other potential tennants it's not a viable solution.

Ergo we must stay at Murrayfield. In truth with some of the new additions like standing pitchside and the increace in numbers coming along (when have you ever seen 4000+ at an Aironi game) Murrayfield is in a strange way developing an atmosphere.

Ticket pricing :

15 quid is a lot of money, especially if like me and other supporters who don't live in Edinburgh. It costs me an additional £13 for a return train ticket to Haymarket and a few beers on top of that at Edinburgh prices and you are talking £50 a week. It's a lot. Dropping ticket prices to a fiver I think will get more through the gates and balence out the price differance.

Signs of improvement though which can only be linked to some good PR and results on the pitch. Edinburgh seem to be cashing in on Visser's phenomenal strike rate... good on them!

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Tue 6 Dec - 11:37; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 6 Dec - 11:35

I'm picking up a theme. You don't get many fans and those you have are inflexible. If those you don't have are just as inflexible then this thread seems to be a waste of time. However I don't believe that for a minute. If it were possible to play in a smaller stadium AND the team did well on the pitch, the crowds would miraculously grow of their own accord.

I know see point 1 above!

Doh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 6 Dec - 11:40

Radge, in truth, when has Calvin Harris ever been acceptable? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 6 Dec - 11:43

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Radge, in truth, when has Calvin Harris ever been acceptable? Wink

I have heard worse! Have you been watching Xfactor? thumbsdown

That thimbs down is the same kind of thumbs down Emperor Nero would do. Sadly it would not be deemed politcally correct to feed the Xfactor rejects to lions.....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 6 Dec - 11:45

It's a matter of time in the ratings war.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 6 Dec - 11:52

Real feeding of dross to the lions? - I might watch it then!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 6 Dec - 13:08

It might help society out as well if we just fed all the Big Brother and X Factor rejects to the lions - might also increase numbers of a few endangered species while we're at it - and even at it's worst it would still be more entertaining than the current programmes!

(you could even charge people for the pleasure of feeding Simon Cowell and Ant & Dec to the lions bit by bit - and the proceeds could pay for a new Edinburgh stadium) WIN WIN WIN!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 6 Dec - 13:16

Lads - I'm involved down here as my clubs 'Regional Ticketing' rep. We can buy tickets to any Cardiff Blues game, including Heineken Cup group games, at £10 per ticket (minimum purchase 10) as opposed to the face value price of £22 . Then the clubs can sell them to players, supporters ...etc at any price up to £22, thus getting bums on seats for the Blues and maybe genetrating a wee bit of cash for the club. Generally we knock out the tickets at £15 each , so the lads save £7 OK

Do either Glasgow or Edinburgh do similar ? ( Sorry I've I've missed something above, on my lunch break, so 'speed reading"

As it goes I definitely have 2, possibly 4, spare for Fridays game at £15 each. If there are any Edinburgh fans making the trip down and want to save some money just drop us a PM and no, I'm not stereotyping Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 6 Dec - 13:21

Kingshu wrote:When looking at it Geoff, I found

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2011/11/15/leinster-rugby-to-move-to-ucd-campus/

But its a training ground move, maybe this is what you picked up on, or maybe they plan to build and move to UCD? Expand the UCD Bowl?

Leinster are moving their offices (from a cramped 1st floor opposite the stadium in Donnybrook) and their training setup. (from Riverview gym)

to UCD, or more correctly the old Philips (Dutch Electronics giant) building which is now owned by, and adjacent to UCD.

It makes sense. I have lived in the area for many years. RDS, Donnybrook, Philips Building are all within a mile (ish) of each other.

No plans to leave the RDS. I'd say the rent may be re negotiated at the break in the contract.

It works for us. Playing 12 games per year is the contract. We move at least 2 big games (Munster and a HC game) each year to Lansdowne rd. With the Italian teams in the pro12, the B&I cup (currently played in D'brook) and the Schools cup final. We have flexibility to get even more games in LR. (We played 4 there last year)

So the RDS is perfect for games too big for Donnybrook (Capacity 6 to 8000) and too small for LR.

We have over 13500 season ticket holders so D'brook will never be an option for even Aironi in the pro12.

There is a plan to redevelop the Anglesea stand in the RDS to give more space/better facilities.

PS. Sorry for hijacking a Scottish thread. Sorry

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 13:25

PenfroPete wrote:Lads - I'm involved down here as my clubs 'Regional Ticketing' rep. We can buy tickets to any Cardiff Blues game, including Heineken Cup group games, at £10 per ticket (minimum purchase 10) as opposed to the face value price of £22 . Then the clubs can sell them to players, supporters ...etc at any price up to £22, thus getting bums on seats for the Blues and maybe genetrating a wee bit of cash for the club. Generally we knock out the tickets at £15 each , so the lads save £7 OK

Do either Glasgow or Edinburgh do similar ? ( Sorry I've I've missed something above, on my lunch break, so 'speed reading"

As it goes I definitely have 2, possibly 4, spare for Fridays game at £15 each. If there are any Edinburgh fans making the trip down and want to save some money just drop us a PM and no, I'm not stereotyping Wink

That's a really good idea and along the lines of what I've mentioned above!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 6 Dec - 13:43

Glas a du wrote:I'm picking up a theme. You don't get many fans and those you have are inflexible. If those you don't have are just as inflexible then this thread seems to be a waste of time. However I don't believe that for a minute. If it were possible to play in a smaller stadium AND the team did well on the pitch, the crowds would miraculously grow of their own accord.

I know see point 1 above!

Doh

I wouldn't say inflexible really describes it. Basically, rugby in Scotland is a minority sport compared to football. It gets next to no coverage in the "sports" news on BBC Scotland (they talked about the following days 1st division football fixtures instead of Edinburgh humping Airioni) and the media in general. Therefore most of the supporters are fair weather, need incentives, kind of supporters. I'd say there is a core of maybe 2000 who would come most weeks, and would probably come to whatever venue. However it is the additional 2-3k which are the difficult ones as it would not take much to sway them either way - pishin doon with rain? Not going. 2 for 1 on tickets and the wife is out for the evening? Yeah I'll go to that.

If we moved somewhere unattractive like ingliston then that 2-3k extra will be pushed towards the "no thank you" end.

And you talk about it being close to the airport so is good for travelling fans:

1 - why would we base our decision where to play on the needs of the away fans?
2 - that is all fair and well if you are coming straight off the plane and on to straight Ingliston. How many people would want to do that instead of heading in to the City centre to see the sights? Then they would have to go all the way out to Ingliston again, followed by all the way back into town for their hotel, followed by...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 6 Dec - 13:53

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Kingshu wrote:When looking at it Geoff, I found

Leinster are moving their offices (from a cramped 1st floor opposite the stadium in Donnybrook) and their training setup. (from Riverview gym)

to UCD, or more correctly the old Philips (Dutch Electronics giant) building which is now owned by, and adjacent to UCD.

It makes sense. I have lived in the area for many years. RDS, Donnybrook, Philips Building are all within a mile (ish) of each other.

No plans to leave the RDS. I'd say the rent may be re negotiated at the break in the contract.

It works for us. Playing 12 games per year is the contract. We move at least 2 big games (Munster and a HC game) each year to Lansdowne rd. With the Italian teams in the pro12, the B&I cup (currently played in D'brook) and the Schools cup final. We have flexibility to get even more games in LR. (We played 4 there last year)

So the RDS is perfect for games too big for Donnybrook (Capacity 6 to 8000) and too small for LR.

We have over 13500 season ticket holders so D'brook will never be an option for even Aironi in the pro12.

There is a plan to redevelop the Anglesea stand in the RDS to give more space/better facilities.

PS. Sorry for hijacking a Scottish thread. Sorry
Jen, Not at all, it's really good to learn more about other clubs' experiences OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 6 Dec - 15:29

PenfroPete wrote:Lads - I'm involved down here as my clubs 'Regional Ticketing' rep. We can buy tickets to any Cardiff Blues game, including Heineken Cup group games, at £10 per ticket (minimum purchase 10) as opposed to the face value price of £22 . Then the clubs can sell them to players, supporters ...etc at any price up to £22, thus getting bums on seats for the Blues and maybe genetrating a wee bit of cash for the club. Generally we knock out the tickets at £15 each , so the lads save £7 OK

That sounds a good deal Penfro - I do sometimes go down to see the Blues (for my sins) when I can't get down to the Scarlets - I maybe in touch in the future about getting a ticket if thats ok...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 6 Dec - 16:09

When we move to Scotstoun next season where will we get a pint ? Us Warriors are a thirsty lot ! Ale
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 6 Dec - 16:45

Smirnoffpriest wrote: That sounds a good deal Penfro - I do sometimes go down to see the Blues (for my sins) when I can't get down to the Scarlets - I maybe in touch in the future about getting a ticket if thats ok...
No probs Smirnoff (although you really should try NEARER HOME for your tipple Whistle Only issue would be whether we would get the demand, although I wouldn't think there'd be a problem for the Dragons (Fri 23/12) Scarlets (Sat 24/03) Ospreys (13/14/15/04) and maybe the Heineken against Racing, if the Blues are still in with a shout thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next