The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay

+13
lydian
wow
eraldeen
Henman Bill
laverfan
Calder106
lags72
Josiah Maiestas
Eskay
Tenez
bogbrush
legendkillar
hawkeye
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay - Page 2 Empty Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay

Post by hawkeye Tue 06 Dec 2011, 7:25 am

First topic message reminder :

One of the ultimate goals in tennis today must be to steal a set when playing Nadal on clay. Some come tantalisingly close but can't quite close it out. In the early rounds of the FO this year Andujar was 5-1 up and I believe also 40-0 up but still failed. Federer must still have nightmares about that first set in the final of the FO and poor Del Potro should be advised not to dwell on the 4th set of the Davis Cup when he served for the set.

This year Nadal has been unusually generous and given away a few unexpected sets. More often than not when a player does claim a set they fizzle out quickly afterwoods. Amost as if they have achieved more than they could expect and can't wait to get off court to talk about it. Or maybe because Nadal decides enough is enough... With this in mind special credit this year should go to Izner who claimed an incredible 2 sets in one match and also Federer and Del Potro who very nearly claimed 2 sets. IMO they should be awarded an engraved plate in recognition of their achievements.

If taking a set off Nadal is an achievment. How should winning an entire match on clay against him be rated? Only 3 players have done this in recent history. Federer in Madrid in 2009. Confidence from this helped enable him to win his first FO and reclaim Wimbledon and the number 1 ranking. Djokovic recognised his achievment when he beat Nadal in Madrid and celebrated in a memorable way... He went on to beat Nadal again in Rome and claim his first Wimbledon, his first US Open and the number 1 ranking. Soderling after his famous victory over Nadal in the 2009 FO went from being a player ranked outside the top 20 to a grand slam contender and a ranking high of 4. IMO Federer, Djokovic and Soderling should be awarded a trophy in recognition of their achievements...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay

Post by Tenez Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

I stand by the point that Nadal was 100% at the beginning of FO11. The fact he takes him longer than others to adapt to conditions is a trait of his game/talent (or lack of) and has nothing to do with form.

I believe the best of Federer on clay is better than Nadal's best. That Federer cannot hold his best versus Nadal over a best of 5 is down to Federer's weaker stamina or simply the nature of his game which is likely to vary over a long match. I don;t go on and explain that Federer wasn't not 100% when he plays Nadal...though we can all see he doesn't produce his 100% game for 4 or 5 sets.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting A Set Off Nadal On Clay

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

Rafa and Fed have played 7 times on clay in best of 3 set matches.
Rafa leads 5-2.

It's a bit pointless Fed's best on clay being better than Rafa's best if he can't keep it up for more than a set/set and a half.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Rafa and Fed have played 7 times on clay in best of 3 set matches.
Rafa leads 5-2.

It's a bit pointless Fed's best on clay being better than Rafa's best if he can't keep it up for more than a set/set and a half.

Depends on what you call pointless. It's like having the WR of a 100m yet failing to win teh Olympics and World titles. The fact is someone ran faster than those who have the titles.

I just think Fed's best game on clay is better than Nadal. I am not saying that he can produce it long enough to win the FO v Nadal. Actually I think he can. Just that he hasn't.

And more importantly, I am making a parallel to make a point, there is no point discussing the parallel in details.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 09 Dec 2011, 1:08 pm

Tenez wrote:I stand by the point that Nadal was 100% at the beginning of FO11. The fact he takes him longer than others to adapt to conditions is a trait of his game/talent (or lack of) and has nothing to do with form.

I believe the best of Federer on clay is better than Nadal's best. That Federer cannot hold his best versus Nadal over a best of 5 is down to Federer's weaker stamina or simply the nature of his game which is likely to vary over a long match. I don;t go on and explain that Federer wasn't not 100% when he plays Nadal...though we can all see he doesn't produce his 100% game for 4 or 5 sets.

Physically, sure, he had no problems and can be considered to have been 100%. His standard of play improved through the tournament though - that Isner display would not have been enough in later rounds - so his performance level can not have been 100%, unless, like many footballers, you believe it is possible to be more than 100%?!

On the second point, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 09 Dec 2011, 2:17 pm

Tenez

Tennis is not just about the physical. A talented, emotional player like Nadal has to be feeling good about himself to produce his best. He can't just flick a switch. What do you think he is? Superman!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2