The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf clubs for an older player

+5
navyblueshorts
Gareth_NI
McLaren
hend085
19th Hole
9 posters

Go down

Golf clubs for an older player Empty Golf clubs for an older player

Post by 19th Hole Wed 14 Dec 2011, 9:40 am

I’m looking for some advise on a driver for my dad.

I played a round with my dad a few days ago who is 69.

His golf swing is fairly average in speed and technique (as in there doesnt appear to be that much wrong with it)

He’s currently using a 14 degree driver (average brand and for the life of me I cant recall the actual make) and tends to hit the ball about 80 yards on every drive.

I gave him my driver (R9 Supertri (stiff) 9.5 degree driver) to use and he managed to get that away around 180 yards, which to put it mildly, he was over the moon with.

Now I know its probably more down to his setup and swing thats the reason for his distance issue but I’m pretty sure the driver he’s using is just useless for his swing. I have tried to give him pointers but you know what they say about teaching an old dog and all that!

So as it is Xmas coming up, I thought I would treat him to a new driver.

He is an irregular player but does enjoy it, so I’m not going to bother with custom fitting him or anything. I just want some guidance on a reasonable driver to givve as a gift.

Is there any particular specification I should be looking at based on the limited info I have given (ie angle of the face, type of shaft etc.)

All help welcomed!

19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Golf clubs for an older player Empty Re: Golf clubs for an older player

Post by hend085 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

really surprised he got the stiff one away that much further. i would get a "senior" shaft. which is whippier than a "regular" shaft. probably dont need a degree as high as 14 when you have this shaft on it

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

14 degrees will be forgiving but quite harmful to yardage, so even going down to 11 degrees could be a major benefit. As an infrequent player keeping a bit of extra loft, i.e. more than the usual 9-10, may be a good idea to help get it on the short stuff.

The second thing to consider is the shaft, which unfortunately opens up and unfathomable array of options that only real experts can advise upon. The basics of the shaft are its weight and flex where the choice of those options is based on swing speed.

As an infrequent and slightly older player my basis advice would be to look for a shaft which is quite soft, in other words will flex quite easily when swung. It may be worth asking about a senior flex shaft as I think some manufactures produce them.

I know ping go up to 11 degrees on most of their clubs and tend to offer a number of shaft options. Looking on ebay for second hand ping g5’s or G10’s with softer shafts might be an economical way to get the club you are looking for.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

My local range have recently started to stock Benross drivers, stunning looking clubs and great value. Last years VX Proto PVD is a beautiful looking club, you should be able to pick that up for £100-150 and its fitted with an Aldila Voodoo shaft as standard, 12* may be a good starting point from 14*. However, take him to the nearest Pro Shop with practice facilities and have him batter several different drivers until hes content.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

Hard to advise. I don't think you could go far wrong though if you looked at the Ping G10 or G15 (or G20 if you want a new one) drivers with, probably, their stock regular or A flex shafts; if he can get your R9 w/ stiff shaft away OK, I'd go for a regular flex. I wouldn't go any lower than 11° loft.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 19th Hole Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

I was looking at the Adams senior range but its a bit pricey. thanks for the tips so far though.

19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 14 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

Why don't you give your old man your driver and treat yourself to a brand spanking new, custom fit job?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

Another thought might be to have a ladies shaft with a regular flex fitted to the clubhead you choose.

I know an older guy that played with ladies graphite shafts in his irons and he loved them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

Huh..........69 is not old thank you!
I am about 4 years younger and have a Calloway BB 11 degree driver regular shaft that I can manage to hit 220/30 yds on the flat. [even without a gale behind.]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Huh..........69 is not old thank you!
I am about 4 years younger and have a Calloway BB 11 degree driver regular shaft that I can manage to hit 220/30 yds on the flat. [even without a gale behind.]

Couldn't agree more Doon. I'm 59 and I hit a Lynx Prowler 10degree, with draw bias and a stiff shaft. My swingspeed is about 95-100mph and I'm mightily disappointed if I don't carry the ball past 230 yards with lots of run in the summer. Very Happy

Best advice, get him fitted, then he will be right.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dewsweeper Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Huh..........69 is not old thank you!

I am 72 and drive pretty well with 15 degree Cleveland with the standard regular shaft.I do tee the ball high ,I use those pink stepped tee pegs.I manage to get about 230 yards including run.I know my swing speed is incredibly slow (about 65 - 70mph).To offset this I use low compression balls which perform well with slow swings,Srixon soft feel or even Pinnacle Pink Lady are good if you can take the p---taking from your mates.I can't believe I have told you beggars my secrets

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down