The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional Players You Have Played With/Against

+39
TBJ9625
red_stag
boomeranga
rhino-dragon
Shifty
flankertye
EnglishReign
BridgendBoyo
21st Century Schizoid Man
Utility-forward
robbo277
Bungle196
Eclipse
wasps
RuggerRadge2611
munkian
Geordie
offload
Knackeredknees
EngInAuck
robshaw4england
Meflanker
Looseheaded
Driver
AFewTooManyKnocks
mckay1402
Glas a du
ultra
Morgannwg
IanBru
welshy824
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
bluestonevedder
Bathite
rodders
formerly known as Sam
WelshinEdinburgh
43 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Professional Players You Have Played With/Against Empty Professional Players You Have Played With/Against

Post by WelshinEdinburgh Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:07 pm

From the ashes of the 606v2 user teams rises a thread to ask the simple question - have you played with or against any players (in any generation) thats worth mentioning here - tell us how the game went as well!

I'll start - played openside against a young Stephen Jones (wales 10 not wanna be reporter), we won the game but i can't remember much more than that!

WelshinEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Professional Players You Have Played With/Against Empty Re: Professional Players You Have Played With/Against

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

I played in and around the midlands at the same time as the likes of Wood, Cole etc would have been around. Don't know if I actually faced any of them but it is very likely I played against Tom Wood because of our respective ages and the clubs we played for (he was a Barkers Butts player through the age groups) where as I played for Loughborough from 6 to 16.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Professional Players You Have Played With/Against Empty Re: Professional Players You Have Played With/Against

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:31 pm

hmm no one really of note. I played alongside ex Ulster and Northampton centre Seamus Mallon at school. I hope he doesn't read this...

I think I may have played against (or at least shared a field with) Roger Wilson at some stage but not 100% sure on that. Pretty sure we lost anyway....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:43 pm

Had the pleasure of playing against Cipriani, Cato and Haskell on seperate occasions. Cipriani was electric, Cato was a monster crash 12, with a huge boot and Haskell gave me the old Samoan sidestep at Rosslyn Park 7s, but I hung on to his knees and brought him down.

Two mates went on to play for many prem teams including Glos and Irish, now playing for Bristol and Doncaster.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

I recently played in a 7s tournament at University and a friend of mine convinced his old team mate Rory Watts-Jones to play for us. He was at Plymouth Albion and now he's at Cardiff Blues I do believe? He was awesome, and had a HUGE hand off

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:50 pm

Off the top of my head, Haskell, Thom Evans and PDJ.
I remember going for a pick and drive, went into PDJ and didnt make much ground at all!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Rick Pool-Jones is the best player I played against in the same position as me. If he could have ever been arsed he would have had an awesome England career, but he enjoyed life too much.

In any position, Tony Underwood is probably the best player I played with (and against).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:11 pm

Bathman - you played wellington college as well then! I might have played one of the Evans, but don't remember, didn't stand out as much as Haskell, but was only 7s

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:22 pm

I managed 1 match (I was promoted due to injuries to a couple of other guys) at lock for the Marlborough Boys College 1st XV. Future ABs captain and hooker Anton Oliver was #8 while future ABs fullback Leon MacDonald was our #10.

Anton managed to break my finger in 4th form, but that was playing cricket (he had already made the 1st XI bowling fast left-arm)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:34 pm

well being 17 havent played against any current or former, but played with a u16 capped wales player against him aswell and two others- and i am pretty sure the one i have played with will make it, he is immense. currently at the tigers acadamey as he choose to join them rather than stay with rgc- he is 16/17 now but couple years time...

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

My brother played against the Wellington College 1st XV side in 2003 that had Haskell, Doran-Jones and Thom Evans.

Funnily enough, his team got pasted!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:02 pm

Against - Leigh Halfpenny(Swansea College), Toby Faletau(Crosskeys RFC), Gareth Maule(St Albans 6th form), Gareth Owen, Dan Biggar(Bridgend College). There may be more, but were unknown to me at the time. They were all very good players at their young ages too.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:48 pm

Gareth Archer. It was an unpleasent experience..

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm

I was in the same class throughout school with Emyr Lewis (son of Alan Lewis former Scarlets coach) who played for Pontypridd and Bedford amongst others. He was the closest player to Mark Ring I've ever seen. Whether we won or lost often depended on whether he could be arsed.

I played under 11 district with Shane Williams. He was a year younger than the rest of us. He was a good scrum half, strong, quick and a good tackler, but afraid of bridges.

I played against Stephen Jones. We got smashed. He was an inside centre then and he and the outside centre were fantastic. I don't know what happened to him though.

I also played in the sane school first XV as Aled Griffiths, Pontypridd abd Wales A. Too tall for a prop really, he was a fantastic footballer in school and was player coach in Ammanford's win of the WRU plate last year.

I also played on the front field with my brother who played for Llandovery, Wrexham (with Andy Moore 2nd row) and English Colleges (with a Welsh athletics vest under his jersey and his hand over the red Rose in the team Photo)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm

I've played against Steve Thompson and Ben Cohen and oddly neither were anything special. Thompson played flanker in those days.

My brother broke his collar bone tackling Martin bayfield...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by AFewTooManyKnocks Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

Went to Kings High School and played 1sts with Carl Hayman. Josh Kronfeld was one of our coaches. Back in those days you still needed a job as well as playing rugby in NZ. Josh worked as a PE teacher/rugby coach while playing for Otago and NZ.

Played against Richie McCaw (Otago Boys High) on a number of occasions.

Whilst we're name dropping I also played cricket with Nathan and Brendan McCullum. They were also Kings lads.

AFewTooManyKnocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:13 pm

Micky Young (Same club)
Manu Tuilagi (First time i'v ever been ran over by a wing!)
Callum Green (Leicester touring team)
Will Welch (Knocked me clean out) (Blaydon)
Tom Catterick (County)
Joel Hodgson (County)
Joe Ford (Leeds)
Chris Hydnmen (Billingham)
Rory Clegg (Darlington)
Alex Grey (Barnard School School)

Was in the same county side as Catty and Hodgey. Hodgson played 9 and Catterick at 10 against Yorkshaire in which Joe Ford played
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

Played 7s against Calum Clark aswell - got owned
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm

And Simon Websters mam and dad live about 20 minutes away from me.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:53 pm

AFewTooManyKnocks wrote:Went to Kings High School and played 1sts with Carl Hayman. Josh Kronfeld was one of our coaches. Back in those days you still needed a job as well as playing rugby in NZ. Josh worked as a PE teacher/rugby coach while playing for Otago and NZ.

Whilst we're name dropping I also played cricket with Nathan and Brendan McCullum. They were also Kings lads.

You win!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:05 am

Only 18 so haven't played with current stars, but have played with and against a fair few age group players whatnot.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:18 am

That I know of I played against Matt Everard the england under 20's and wasps flanker. He looked exactly the same as he does now 4 years ago as an under 16's lad haha! He was everywhere making huge runs and huge tackles. Gave me a good lesson in openside play that day.

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:56 am

Freddie Burns, Guy Mercer, Chris Cook

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:31 am

AFewTooManyKnocks wrote:Went to Kings High School and played 1sts with Carl Hayman. Josh Kronfeld was one of our coaches. Back in those days you still needed a job as well as playing rugby in NZ. Josh worked as a PE teacher/rugby coach while playing for Otago and NZ.

When i read you were from kings i had to comment ....

GRAMMAR !!!!! Hug haha
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:53 am

Played against Henson in U16's (he played for Pencoed). It's no wonder his boot is so good, as all he used to do was kick.

Played in the same Gwent side as Rhys Thomas the tighthead and Andy Powell. Also played youth for a bit with Ryan Jones (at Risca).

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:41 am

Played with and against Richard Hill (U20 & U21)
Against
Matt Dawson
Keryan Bracken
Will Greenwood
Tony Diprose
Ben Clarke
and quite a few of the England team circa 1998 - 2003 in county U21
Oh and while playing for St Athan in a charity game got knocked on my arse several time by some welsh prop who thought he was a centre called Gibbs Doh
Yes It hurt a lot!!!!

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:48 am

My other brother was vice Captain to Ben Clarke in their College team.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

As a 16, 17 and 18 year old I played both with and against Stuart Barnes. Even at that age he stood out as a class player. Shame he didn't develop into a better pundit !
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:00 am

Many mooons ago....

Newcastle Falcons 7's competition: Playing for Percy Park as the local invitational side....we had Newcastle, Saints and Leicester.

Played against all sorts...Tony Underwood, Tim Rodber etc etc....

Fabulous experience...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

My mate trained with a very young Gethin Jenkins - he got completely outpaced by him running up a hill Run Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:27 am

but played with a u16 capped wales player against him aswell and two others- and i am pretty sure the one i have played with will make it, he is immense. currently at the tigers acadamey

Who's that. I catch the occasional Tiger academy game sometimes I'll keep an eye out. Those boys are frighteningly big considering how young they are.

Callum Green (Leicester touring team)

A great prospect a couple of years ago. Spent last year on loan at Nottingham and is missing this season to a knee injury.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

Played against Fergus Thompson and Ross Ford all through my age grade. Ross Ford was always going to be set for good things. Even as a teenager he was built like the Incredible hulk on steroids.

Fergus Thompson was in direct competition with myself for the Starting berth at 2 for the fife district U18s. I warmed the bench for him for a few years at district level. Can't really argue, he was and still is a classy player.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshinEdinburgh Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

There's some excellent replies here, so far the leader has to be AFewTooManyKnocks - impressive!

WelshinEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

Also, played with and against current Dragons players James Leadbeater and Nathan Buck. Bucky was an Abergavenny boy, but both played for Crosskeys College. Bucky was nothing back then but was picked up for many honours because of his size, he has been about 20 stone since he was 13...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:37 pm

played against Ross Kemp.... does that count?

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

Played against Neil Jenkins when he played for Ponty youth. They were pretty average but his goal kicking was phenomenal as you'd expect. All I can remember is him popping penalties over from the halfway line for fun. we lost despite them not getting in our 22 for the whole game.

Eclipse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bungle196 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

Andrew Sheridan when he was playing at Dulwich collage.....needless to say we got spanked...

inthe small world of South london George Cuter was a couple of years above me at school....

Bungle196

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:08 pm

I played in an age group team with Turner-Hall and Cato, also played with John "Hitman" Hathaway from UFC for a season in colts (he was a year above). I've played against Marler at 7s, we actually won the game!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
but played with a u16 capped wales player against him aswell and two others- and i am pretty sure the one i have played with will make it, he is immense. currently at the tigers acadamey

Who's that. I catch the occasional Tiger academy game sometimes I'll keep an eye out. Those boys are frighteningly big considering how young they are.

his name is rhys williams- plays centre, but honestly could fit in anywhere in the backs (except 9 really) have known him since i was 8 and he is quality
the other u16 lad is luke williams- hooker

dont think they play games in their first year though.
and yeh they are both big muscle wise and rhys was told he had to stop working on upper body and work on his leg muscles as he was too big!!

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

oh and trained with the welsh backrow last mont =D

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Utility-forward Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:13 pm

I've played with and against a guy called Kevin O'Brian, who got a couple of caps for Ireland in the 80s at full back. He was in his 50s and I was 17!

Utility-forward

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:34 pm

JJ (White Shark) once rescued me from the bottom of a ruck when my back was about to be snapped. He would not mind me saying that he was at the end of his most illustrious career and I was a daft wee boy. he did pull me up with his massive 'fermer' arms and said "you are alright son ". Never forgotten that- a tru gent. notworthy

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:15 am

Forgot to add, skinned Paul Hull (ex Eng full back) playing aginst RAF Innsworth trained with the CS squad including Rory Underwood Tim Rodbor and the posh scottish No8 who was in the army(cant bloody emember his name arrrgggghh)

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Ive played with 'He who shall not be named', Richard Mustoe who was better than henson in school, recently retired Gareth Williams, James Bater and ive played against Delve too

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

I burned Sharples on the wing when I played for school.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 17 Dec 2011, 12:26 pm

Rob Wainwright.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

Glas a du wrote:Rob Wainwright.

Thats the fella Yahoo

Thanks Glas Ale

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

Not professional, but three of my club team have represented eastern counties, which is norfolk, suffolk and Essex.
Bodkin - scrumhalf
JP - flyhalf/fullback (tackles like Wilko and has been injured almost as often, hence the nickname the calcium kid)
And a lad called O'riley who played openside but in the age groups had also played at 12 and flyhalf. Incredibly talented player.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Don't mention it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Dec 2011, 9:47 pm

Duncan Jones, I worked with his father Gary, and he told me about him and the team, he was playing for (cant remember if it was Neath Collegue or maybe Maesteg Comp).
I said we were playing that team next and his dad gave me a description of him and all game I went looking for him with the intention of giving him a nice shiner, so I could tell his dad I gave it to him.
Funnily enough I cant remember propping against him, and I was tight head, he is a loose head now, so either he was in a different position in those days, maybe at tight head also, which explains why I cant remember any scrums.

I did try and give him a beating but he ignored my cheap shot, then ended up winding me when he tackled me so I cut my losses on that one, I remember we lost the game too which didn't help Cry

I may of also propped against him in a Boys Clubs trials in Taibach later on, but I'm not too sure on that one.

I was also in school with Ben Phillips the Cardiff hooker.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next