The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?......

+5
Don Caboose
MIG
nasisillmatic
bretmeharty
Brady12
9 posters

Go down

Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?...... Empty Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?......

Post by Brady12 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:16 pm

In my opinion the WWE product is at the lowest ebb I can possibly remember in terms of enjoyment factor.... I fell asleep watching parts of Raw this week (considering I watch it Tuesday afternoon this is no mean feet) & had no desire to skip back & watch it.....

I've had feelings like this before, I was on the verge of quitting (or switching my allegiance to WCW) when Bret was screwed (what a dumb move that would have been) & I stopped watching for a period after the Benoit incident. .. It's stuff like these pages & the dirt sheets that keep we showing an interest, short of Hornswoggle wining the world title I guess I'm probably stuck with wrestling

My question is though to you guys is there any one thing that would make you turn off for good???

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?...... Empty Re: Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?......

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm

Same as, no matter how much I moan about the current state of it I still stay tuned in and keeping tabs on what's going on at the very least. I think it's become a habit which is very hard to shake of.

I also agree that this place has its appeal which makes it doublely hard to walk away from the 75percent of guff the WWE put on.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?...... Empty Re: Would there be one specific thing that would stop you watching?......

Post by Brady12 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

What about Triple H ending the streak?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

Um... Toughy I'd say, prob not and only because I'd be really interested in the aftermath from him takin it and if WWE would use the hate for HHH within his next feud.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

Um... Toughy I'd say, prob not and only because I'd be really interested in the aftermath from him takin it and if WWE would use the hate for HHH within his next feud.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

I don't think there is anything that would stop me watching it now.

The biggest thing would have been the night after Montreal, that was a disgusting Raw. I kept watching it and that was the lowest of the low for me.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

I stopped watching earlier this year. The thing was there was no one left that excited me anymore. All my favourite stars were gone and I wasn't going to tune in week in week out for the likes of Cena and Orton no matter how good they are, they are not at THAT level, for me anyway.
I kept reading though and heard about some brilliant promo by CM Punk.....

Since then I have become a fan of some of the up and comers, especially Dolph Ziggler and that has helped me stay hooked, for now.

The problem is CM Punk. He is the reason I came back. But recently he's stopped the 'pipe bombs' he's borderline not funny lately and he is NOT the best wrestler in the world. Far from it in fact. He messes up way too much for me. So I am losing interest in the sole reason that brought me back.

If it wasn't the Rumble and Mania coming up and the anticipation of whats going to happen I could probably give up fairly easily.

But for the sake of actually answering the question, I will go with if Rock beats Cena at Mania and there is no heel turn or change for Cena I think I will probably just give it up.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Well the whole Chris Benoit thing stopped me watching from when it happened until late 2008.

I have to explain this was mainly due to the fact that I had attended Wrestlemania XX in person and that until the revelation of what exactly happened, the Main Event with Eddie and Benoit's celebration was probably my favourite single moment in any form of entertainment. (I was screaming at HHH to tap so loudly that I lost my voice and the German fans sat next to me were giving me funny looks)

Having had such a fond memory tainted so badly (and I say that in a purely selfish way) it was hard to watch and associate with wrestling. Especially as I had cheered every head butt and every chair shot.

If anything similar happened again, I just don't know if I would get back into it a second time.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

I have already given up and stopped watching, well on a full time basis anyway. I never watch full shows, now again i'll watch bits on youtube and catch Experience on Sky1 but only when i read something which interests me in the spoilers. I probably pay more attention as of Jan 2nd to Mania though.

Most of the wrestlers on the rosters dont show enough passion, intensity, aggression or desire to make me want to watch them. Triple H's promo on Raw was how it should be done, say what you want about the guy but when he talks - i listen. He's intense, he is a star. Sure the new breed of stars are promising, but when Triple H turns up and talks it makes me realise how far behind these new guys truly are.

If the card is HHH v Taker, Rock v Cena, Punk v Jericho then i will be happy. They are stars, they are the go to guys, they put bums on seats.

When it gets to the point when these guys are replaced in the main event scene by the likes of Miz, Rhodes, Ziggler, Sheamus etc, i just hope that the WWE will have built them up sufficiently for them to be believable as true legit main event stars. I know it wont happen overnight, but as things stand the only time i'm truly interested in watching a PPV is when the reliable old guard are involved. Miz, Rhodes, Ziggler etc arent stars yet for me, and if you arent a star, i wont pay £14.99 to watch you.

So the point where i will probably stop watching for good would be if/when the 'new generation' fail to win me over, but are in the main events of the big PPVs. They need some big time rub otherwise they will forever be 'nearly guys'. Look at Miz, he went over Cena at Mania but for me he isnt any better off for it, you know why? Because he only won via a Rock assist. He didnt win the match, Rock did. If he done it on his own i think he'd be portrayed very very differently today.

Oh, and i hope HHH ends the streak!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Every year I say to myself I will stop watching after Wrestlemania, but keep breaking my word because I watch through habit just to see what is happening. I think the whole streak thing is getting beyond a joke with how it is built up. I am looking forward to Rock v Cena. I am hoping for Y2J and CM Punk to start a feud which I hope can begin a new era to the WWE and bring it back to life. I taking an interest in Cena after he beat Batista at WM26. If Mania pulls off Rock v Cena, Taker v HHH and Y2J v Punk it will be difficult to look past it for Taker, HHH and Cena.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Don Caboose wrote:Well the whole Chris Benoit thing stopped me watching from when it happened until late 2008.

I have to explain this was mainly due to the fact that I had attended Wrestlemania XX in person and that until the revelation of what exactly happened, the Main Event with Eddie and Benoit's celebration was probably my favourite single moment in any form of entertainment. (I was screaming at HHH to tap so loudly that I lost my voice and the German fans sat next to me were giving me funny looks)

Having had such a fond memory tainted so badly (and I say that in a purely selfish way) it was hard to watch and associate with wrestling. Especially as I had cheered every head butt and every chair shot.

If anything similar happened again, I just don't know if I would get back into it a second time.

Great story Don.... Also the reason I stop watching Raw live on that fateful Tuesday morning think 'oh god' not another how can I watch this anymore.... Then I discovered the full extent of what had happened the next day & I just thought that's it I'm finished. I respect Benoit as a performer but he wasn't one of my favourites, can't imagine how you felt

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

Brady12 wrote:
Don Caboose wrote:Well the whole Chris Benoit thing stopped me watching from when it happened until late 2008.

Great story Don.... Also the reason I stop watching Raw live on that fateful Tuesday morning think 'oh god' not another how can I watch this anymore.... Then I discovered the full extent of what had happened the next day & I just thought that's it I'm finished. I respect Benoit as a performer but he wasn't one of my favourites, can't imagine how you felt

It was odd, because while Sting was my favourite as a child and The Rock was my favourite when I was reintroduced to wrestling via Ntl cable in 1998, my admiration and support for Benoit grew as I learned more about the intricacies of wrestling the art form. So it wasn't so much someone I adored and loved, it was someone I had grown to respect and admire because of their wrestling ability not because they were the flashiest or most charismatic. I'm not saying its the same thing, but like how much Gary Speed is respected while Ryan Giggs is idolised. Its a deeper admiration I'd argue.

Pro-Wrestling is not real, but i'll be damned if Benoit winning the WHC at Wrestlemania XX wasn't a real moment. I was so delighted that I was able to share his (& Eddie's) crowning moment. It's just a shame life works out the way it does sometimes.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by DDT Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:08 am

Having watched wrestling for almost 15 years, the only time I ever switched off for a while was after Summerslam 2010, I had just had enough of Cena, a man with very little in ring ability, pulling off the supposed impossible every week. It was team Cena v Team Nexus, and despite some of Cena's own team, Edge and Jericho turning on him, he still managed to overcome the odds, and single handedly eliminate each member of Nexus. I had just had enough of one guy winning everything and being portrayed as superman, so I stopped watching for around 6 months. I finally gave in and started watching again, at around the 2011 Royal Rumble.

I still don't realy watch Raw much, I just skim through it on Sky plus, and watch any decent looking matches, not involving Cena. I watch Smackdown all the way through, as he's not on there.

I probably won't be buying mania this year, It will be tough to watch a true legend like the Rock having to job to a guy who can barely wrestle.

DDT

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat 17 Dec 2011, 10:07 am

I have been on the cusp of switching off so many times, but as others have said keep tuning in mainly due to habit and this board is probably the main reason I have kept watching this year as it keeps my interest in the product and I want to be well informed when discussing on here. I think the final nail in the coffin will be how mania pans out, should cena not turn heal, should daniel Bryan get screwed out the briefcase somehow or become the first person to cash in and not win will be major factors in my enjoyement and understanding. I think it's become clear that the wwe are not really interested in catering to my wants and needs as a consumer due to the fact that im outside of their target demographic and if wwe continues to overlook the mature/seasoned fans and continue to invest in the younger merch buying audience then I will have no option but to eventually and regrettably switch off. Of course any product or business needs to be aware of what a younger future audience wants as they wil be the life blood of the future consumer generation however wrestling has always been a broad show/product that offers something to all age ranges and sexes and wwe have forgotten this, they have thrown all their weight into the lucrative PG era and cast aside the fans from the attitude era and before. If the wwe persist with alienating the older fans and continue to further themselves from the word wrestling which seams to have become a dirty word within the organisation I can only see myself becoming less and less infatuated with wrestling. The emergence of cm punk as a top star and the fact that wwe have recognised this along with Bryan wining MITB suggests that maybe there is a glimmer of hope however I have no confidence in wwe to book either logically, coherently or interestingly. The more I think about it the more I believe that my future wrestling enjoyment lies with TNA, sure they have their own MAJOR booking issues but the company ethos and beliefs are that of a wrestling promotion not an entertainment company that's more interested in celebrity culture, twitter, making films and producing reality tv. TNA wants the mature wrestling fans wwe doesn't, TNA believes wrestling matters, wwe does not. Time will tell on this one but I honestly believe that if TNA bring in someone like Paul Heyman in time they will be the number one company to watch and enjoy wrestling.[list][*]

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down