The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne

+22
doctor_grey
Manu's Boxing Coach
rodders
GunsGerms
MrsP
HammerofThunor
Artful_Dodger
mankiaow
nathan
Cumbrian
Geordie
eirebilly
B91212
Kingshu
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Portnoy
gowales
whocares
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
LondonTiger
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne Empty Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by LondonTiger Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm

Tigers team:

15 Geordan Murphy = 14 Horacio Agulla = 13 Matt Smith = 12 Manu Tuilagi = 11 Alesana Tuilagi = 10 Toby Flood = 9 Ben Youngs = 1 Boris Stankovich = 2 George Chuter = 3 Martin Castrogiovanni = 4 Louis Deacon = 5 George Skivington = 6 Tom Croft = 7 Jules Salvi = 8 Thomas Waldrom
16 Rob Hawkins = 17 Julian White = 18 Dan Cole = 19 Steve Mafi = 20 Ben Woods = 21 Sam Harrison = 22 Billy Twelvetrees = 23 Scott Hamilton

ASM Clermont Auvergne

15 Lee Byrne-14 Sitiveni Sivivatu-13 Regan King-12 Wesley Fofana-11 Julien Malzieu-10 David Skrela - 9 Morgan Parra - 1 Lionel Faure - 2 Ti'i Paulo - 3 Clément Ric - 4 Jamie Cudmore - 5 Jason White - 6 Gerhard Vosloo - 7 Alexandre Lapandry - 8 Julien Bonnaire
16 Benjamin Kayser - 17 Vincent Debaty - 18 Daniel Kotze - 19 Nathan Hines - 20 Elvis Vermeulen - 21 Kevin Senio - 22 Brock James - 23 Gavin Williams

A number of changes for Clermont. King & Skrela start in the backs, and several in the pack. Cudmore replacing Hines most noticable. White in second row an interesting call.
Looks like an injury for Ayerza as Bobo starts and two tightheads on the bench. Other changes for Tigers sees Waldrom start for Mafi, and Woods on teh bench for Slater.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add tigers team)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne Empty Re: Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

Is Rougerie injured?

I think Tigers will win this, although I can't see them getting a TBP and can see ASM getting the LBP, which in the overall scheme of things is probably a better result for ASM than Tigers.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne Empty Re: Leicester Tigers v ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

Is Rougerie injured?

Yes. Ventilation issue according to the papers.

Can't believe they've gone with that midfield again! Terrible decision despite Matt Smith's excellent form these past few weeks. I can only presume Staunton is injured and Twelvetrees is covering 10 in case on an emergency and they don't want him risking his ankle in case he needs to cover for Flood. Even so the backs were too easily picked off last weekend with only one playmaker outside of Flood.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

Tigers win by 10.

Back after the weekend to discuss what was hopefully a stunning win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

Tigers to lose this in a close game. Can't believe they've put Manu at 12 again.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

With Rougerie out and Regan King in, Vern Cotter wanted to strenghten his team defense hence the choice of Skrela at 10 , White/Cudmore instead of Pierre and also someone like Gavin Williams on the bench. Expect some trench warfare... hope for ASM that Skrela will be solid as Brock James kicking game will be missed. Leiscester forwards shall prevail , question mark on LBP.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:52 pm

I wouldn't right off Manu as a 12 in the future. We've all seen how Nonu grew into the position after starting out as a 13.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Why is the (12)36/(13)Manu centre partnership being avoided yet again?

That will be the England choice before too long - maybe all the way to 2015.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

I thought Twelvetrees just got back from injury. You don't wanna rush someone in for a big game like this.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Manu is a lot better at 13 as the additional space allows him to use his pace and power far more effectively. Many defenders plant their feet early in order to prepare for the big hit only to see Manu go round them on the outside whilst those that try to match his speed find the big man either using his hand off or just stepping in and going straight through them. The options are much more diminished and with flankers spreading out from rucks etc it's easier to target Manu before he can break the line when he's at 12.

Twelvetrees might not be fully fit but he did play a full game against Gloucester and against Northampton before the last game. He played well but not specatularly in both. He did look rusty but the midfield looked far better for his inclusion towards the end of the game last week.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

Because it's a big game.

Tigers are not exactly renowned for rushing players back. When they are fit, they tend to be fit. 1st game back - bench. 2nd - available to start.

Don't confuse Tigers with Newcastle (Wilko) rushing back.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

Im not entirely comfortable with the sleections but Cockerill has backed his man ( SMith) who has been doing OK at 13. Trouble with that is as Sam says its not getting the best from Tuilagi.
I dont think we can see 36s previous injury as a reason for his continued exclussion, it must be based on what Cockerill thinks is right.

I dont see Tigers winning this.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

But Twelvetrees has played two full matches. And now for the big games is dropped in favour of a muddled midfield and so that Cockerill can go for a defensive "safe" centre.

I just find it bizzarre. Twelvetrees needs this big game experience and should be being helped to get as much as possible. If Leicester can't or won't do that then maybe he should look elsewhere.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

Not sure who I want to win, possibly Clermot, but head says Tigers.

I'll just watch completly neutral and see what the result is.

Just hoping for a good game.

Can't say I'm to fond of Manu Tuilagi as a player mind, but to balance it I do like Geordan Murphy.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:35 pm

And now for the big games is dropped in favour of a muddled midfield and so that Cockerill can go for a defensive "safe" centre.

I think Cockerill is loath to drop Smith when he's been playing so well, particularly in defence. He tackled himself to a stand still against Ulster especially in the second half. Marshalled Trinder very well against Gloucester and then eliminated Pisi as an attacking threat against Saints. Add to the that the big carry for his try against Saints and it's no suprise Cockers wants to retain him in the side. Problem is it should be a choice between him and Tuilagi not pairing them. Personally I'd be tempted to try him on the wing again (he played a lot of his early rugby at wing and full back) but Cockers seems certain he wants him in the midfield.

If the weather is as bad as forecast (and I hope not as I'm playing not so far away from the game tomorrow) then it may be wise to go for an up the jumper power display. Clermont have gone for big and nasty in the pack though and that will be easier said then done, especially without the ultra mobile Marcos Ayerza. Waldrom's return is a blessing and should stop some of the confusion around the half backs as minus the number 8 the forwards were not sure who was supposed to be driving the ball forward from the half backs shoulders. Mafi reverted too much to being a flanker in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:38 pm

yappysnap wrote:But Twelvetrees has played two full matches. And now for the big games is dropped in favour of a muddled midfield and so that Cockerill can go for a defensive "safe" centre.

I just find it bizzarre. Twelvetrees needs this big game experience and should be being helped to get as much as possible. If Leicester can't or won't do that then maybe he should look elsewhere.

Yeah look at Sam Vesty now

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

As a neutral not sure what Mafi has to do to start. Agree he showed he wasn't an 8 last week but he seems to be playing better than Croft at the moment so I would have him starting there (and I'm a Croft fan). Only argument I can see would be line-out and Deacon and Skivington should be able to control that between them.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:57 pm

Deacon controls the lineout anyway.

I'd have gone for Mafi over Croft after the Saints game but last week Croft was outstanding. If Tigers had won I think Sky may well have given him the man of the match award. He ruled the lineout, got in the face of Parra and ended several Clermont backs moves with great tackles. The look of suprise on Lee Byrnes face when Croft scythed him down just as Byrne was looking to break in the first half was magic. Great cover tackling. He had a nice burst or two ball in hand during the first half as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Deacon controls the lineout anyway.

I'd have gone for Mafi over Croft after the Saints game but last week Croft was outstanding. If Tigers had won I think Sky may well have given him the man of the match award. He ruled the lineout, got in the face of Parra and ended several Clermont backs moves with great tackles. The look of suprise on Lee Byrnes face when Croft scythed him down just as Byrne was looking to break in the first half was magic. Great cover tackling. He had a nice burst or two ball in hand during the first half as well.
Fair enough. I guess I'm trying to force Mafi into the starting 15 based on his recent displays in but the only other option would be lock, and that may make you a bit light in the front 5 if it's going to be a tight game (and if the weather is bad as well).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Going to be a tough match for Tigers i feel. I still hope that they win though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

Early DG by Skrella... Not expected since Claremont had good field position
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

Both Tuilagis have had the ball stripped relatively easily in contact now...thats not good!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

It looked very easy Geordie.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:46 pm

Another DG for Clermont. Not a great start by Leicester.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Try Leicester Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

No not at all....and that looked like the old Flood..trying to force passes that should not be going...

Nice try though...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

Was a good piece of blocking as well Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:52 pm

ha ha indeed...but hey if its its not spotted...its good play Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

True, it was defo a home ground decision Wink

Leicester are again behind
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Owens giving Clermant absolutely nothing here today Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Flood not brought his kicking boot has he?

Getting sick of seeing the up-and-unders and knock ons.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Thats been coming....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Try Clermont now. Leicester in some trouble now.

Flood is certainly not having his best game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

Flood looks very poor today...hodgson did well last night....wonder who will get the 10 spot for England...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Leicester looking a bit clueless in attack, but they've just spent so much time in their own 22 it isn't surprising. Clermont game plan is almost perfect.

Flood is having a rubbish game. He isn't being helped by having Manu Tuilagi out of position IMO. He needs somebody creative to help him out, the Tigers' play is simply too predictable. If I were Cockers I'd swap Smith for Twelvetrees and shift Manu out one.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

I know that Manu Tuilagi is great in attack but how poor is he when on the back foot. He really looked aweful in the first half when on the back foot.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

we're certainly predictable at the minute! Mind you i wish the ref would stop them laying all over the ball and i'm not sure how it didn't spot the double knock on before their try!!! Having said they luck always levels itself out!......hopefully!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:35 pm

Yeah Owens missed one knock on nathan but he also missed a clear blocking for Leicesters try so i guess it evens itself out.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Good try for Leicester, it was coming as well
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

eirebilly wrote:Yeah Owens missed one knock on nathan but he also missed a clear blocking for Leicesters try so i guess it evens itself out.

yeah the ref should of caught that one too!!

Leicester have started this half better!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

Great play from Youngs, he needs to do more of that. Clermont are fanning out wide and easily anticipating the Tigers attacks, Tigers need to attack the fringes instead.

Last edited by Cumbrian on Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

how often do clermont actually release the tackled player???

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Both teams are lying all over the ball, its not making for some good rugby but Leicester are really coming into this game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

sooooooo much sloppy play!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

How many times do Tigers want to knock the ball on? They just can't get momentum because of it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

eirebilly wrote:Both teams are lying all over the ball, its not making for some good rugby but Leicester are really coming into this game.

i agree with that, but all i'm hearing from owens is green, release. Never white, release!

Of course i am highly biased!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

Hamilton has been absolutely useless since he has come on...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Hamilton has been absolutely useless since he has come on...

tell me about it, someone needs to teach him to catch!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

Lee Byrne is having a pretty good game surprisingly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

I know you are nathan laughing

Clermont back in front, touch match to call.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next