The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super 6 Final Letdown??

+10
tcribb
Herman Jaeger
manos de piedra
azania
The Galveston Giant
Seanusarrilius
Strongback
Volcanicash
All Time Great
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
14 posters

Go down

Super 6 Final Letdown?? Empty Super 6 Final Letdown??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:25 am

Mornin folks, this article has nothing to do with the result between the two fighters, there are threads alright done for that so if you wanna chat about that then take a trip to one of them.

I was just wondering if any of you felt let down by the ending of what was probably one of the best ideas in boxing in a very long time?

We had to wait 2 years and through numerous fights to get to the final which was held somewhere which isn't known for it's mega fights since the late 80s early 90s.

According to sports journalists the place would have put you to sleep last night the atmosphere was so dull.

And when the winner was handed the trophy it was so boring and ordinary. Where was the fireworks? The glitz and glamour which let's be honest, Arum or De La Hoya would have certainly stamped on an event like this.

All the waiting for me was to see the birth of not just a unified world champ, but a superstar with all the trimmings.

Instead I just switched off as it nearly had me nodding off.

Anyone feel the same way? And how should this tourny have ended?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Super 6 Final Letdown?? Empty Re: Super 6 Final Letdown??

Post by All Time Great Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:08 am

Yeah agree they could of sexed up the ceremony and maybe had the final in las Vegas.

But I'm sure there are contractual stipulations in place which may of prevented this.

But I think the positives defiantly outweighed the negatives with this format. We got to see the best fight the best in some instances. We saw some fighters getting found out such as Abraham and Taylor (although he was already reasonably faded).

Conclusion. Format was a success. A star (Andre Ward) and a true warrior (Carl Froch) were born from it.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Didn't Jim Grey just hand Ward the cup? The winner deserved a much better ceremony to commemerate what has been a tough journey to win!! Shame really.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

I thought it was disappointing all around. Even the ring walks looked cheap.

Wards style doesn't excite the crowd and the fight being one sided didn't help.

As I read somewhere when it came to presenting the trophy two tranny's came into the ring handed over the trophy and then ran away.

Ward barely had the extremely cheap looking trophy in his hand and his manager grabbed it and started parading it.

It definitely wasn't 'Vegas baby'.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

I thought the same as Dee, they rushed the trophy being handed out, the ring wals were a bit cheap looking too. I was a little disappointed by the general coverage of Showtime last night, didnt even show Brook on the undercard, they were kind of as interested in the MMA that was going to follow, maybe they are moving that way? Ward deserved some fireeworks or something, also very surprised Froch only made $600k and ward got $900K for the fight (according to the ring mag), after two years that's alll? Ah well, well done ward. Froch can bother anyone at the weight excpet for Ward and Dirrell who he can't match or get close to for speed. Still a great run, Kessler at home in the summer would be perfect if he can get it, then LH dust Clev and be done with you

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

I thought they would have spiced it up a bit, it was a pretty lowkey event all round.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

Boxing needs to learn from UFC in terms of promoting big fights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm

I completely disagree Az, just look at cotto vs Marg and manny bs Marquez recently, absolutely amazing setup. Fantastic production.

If the final had of been held in Europe, the Germans could have beef it up massively. Alright one of their home boys werent involved but a fight of this importance would have sold out a half decent arena. Plus look at how the Germans produce ringwalks!!! Massive let down.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

I think it depends really. Some people dont like the Kitschko style elaborate ring entrances and build up as they think its taking away from what really matters in the ring. Others really enjoy the hyped up kind of build up.

I think Ward is really only for the purists and I doubt he will ever excite the regular fans with his style. So I think it was inneviteable that the final was going to somewhat ugly rather than a thriller.

My view on the success of the Super 6 is that it was a moderate succes. I think one has to be realistic in terms of what could be expected. At the start of the tournament it was for the most part 6 largely unheralded fighters as opposed to 6 superstars. But the format meant I think we got to see who the bst SMW really is and got to see most of the top guys in the division mix it up when we might not otherwise.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

Any fighter dropping out of any future tournament, should be made to forfeit 50% of his next purse, real injury or no.

Ward not fighting Dirrell before Froch spoiled the tournament a bit for me, and gave Ward an easier path to the final. And of course home advantage all the way through was a joke

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

You could have say 50% if it's over 300,000 and 75 if it's under that. The figures are merely a ball park, but withdrawals must have penalties to keep the intensity of the tournament

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:

and gave Ward an easier path to the final. And of course home advantage all the way through was a joke

I don't think it would have mattered. He beat Kessler and Froch two of the best fighters in the tournament. Ward is a class above and would have won home or away imo.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

I think you may be right stringy, Ward is different gravy IMO

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

azania wrote:Boxing needs to learn from UFC in terms of promoting big fights.

Leave the hullabaloo for the wrestling fans !

The recent Haye/Klitschko entrances were the most embarrassing things I've seen in boxing, I actually switched it off until they got in the ring.

Walk in like Jack Dempsey do the business and leave!

tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

To be honest with you... I thought the fight was really boring, did anyone else think that?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

The fight was boring because Ward is a boring fighter imo. I do not think you can blame Froch he is an exciting fighter to watch it was just a shame Ward is a boring fighter or else it could have been a good fight. Boxing needed Froch to win this he is an exciting fighter who fights the best and is willing to travel this is what boxing needs.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

117-112 for me, and that's being kind to Froch. Absolutely no idea what fight the two judges who scored it 115-113 were watching.

I wouldn't say it was a let down, but perhaps a disappointment, slightly different things. Froch's effort can't be questioned, and Ward fought the perfect fight. Don't see why it should be called a letdown on that basis.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

I think the fight should have ended like this....

Ward is named the winner.

The trophy is handed to him when...

Marvin Haglar appears from nowhere and runs into the ring shouting "I am the greatest middleweight ever biyatch"

then he drops Ward with a left hook and grabs the trophy but from above an unbelievable site.....

Carlos Monzon yes Monzon para glides into the arena and lands right in the centre of the ring.

People are frantic and amazed, they shout "Hay Monzon your dead, your dead! this can't be"

And Monzon returns "No eeehm I no die, I still alive no, and eeeh I middleweight the best for sure no"

Haglar now fuming, rips off his shirt Hulk Hogan style and challenges Monzon to a fight.

Monzon excepts and removes his shirt to the shock of the whole arena.

Both fighters are gloved up and Froch and Ward slip away un-noticed. The bell for round 1 is about to ring when suddenly from the back of the arena Harry Greb yes Greb..........

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 4:34 pm

To be honest Onetwo, that doesn't seem very believable to me...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down