The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?

+20
All Time Great
trottb
ShahenshahG
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
fearlessBamber
monzon
The Sweet Science UK
cave_man_KO
hogey
djlovesyou
tunes666
azania
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
tcribb
spencerclarke
88Chris05
zx1234
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
GeoffSnapes
24 posters

Go down

Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?  Empty Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?

Post by GeoffSnapes Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:33 pm

After seeing last nights fight I believe Andre Ward will have to high a workrate for Lucien Bute and will win an easy UD if they ever meet. Bar rematches with fighters he has already convincingly beaten (Kessler, Froch) it leaves few options at Super Middleweight for Ward. George Groves is a promising fighter, but I don't see him bringing anything to the ring Froch didn't. That for me leaves James Degale as the guy with most potential to dethrone Andre, albeit in a few years time. If Degale can work on his weaknesses he has the speed and skillset to bring Ward into a new territory. I'd love to see this fight made in 2013 / 14 - anyone else?

Boxing Challenges - http://www.konkura.com/

Last edited by GeoffSnapes on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?  Empty Re: Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

In a word, NO. Degale style is suited against people who make mistakes coming forward and doesn't move there head well. Vs groves, degale looked poor going forward applying pressure and ward is better than groves going backwards. Another thing is ward likes to get on the inside and let shots go, degale struggled with this style in the european title fight and was stumbled by a relatively weak puncher. Degale needs to double his workrate to beat ward and improve his headwork to get inside and out of ward.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?  Empty Re: Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?

Post by zx1234 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:47 pm

i think if pascal fights against ward like he did vs dawson he'd have a good chance of winning.

fighting in spurts might not be effective punching but it means he'll sneak rounds by looking good to judges

a calzaghe type workrate would obviously trouble ward too, but i cant think of anyone around those divisions with that level of workrate

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

Right now, I'd have to say an emphatic no. DeGale's so wide with some of his flurries at times, I see him having a world of trouble landing anything of consequence on Ward, who showed last night how good he is at rolling with the punches or, when necessary, catching them on the gloves.

Another worrying aspect is DeGale's apparent lack of strength on the inside. Ward has shown against Kessler - and again last night - that he can tough it out and exchange uppercuts inside with the best of them.

Honestly can't see how DeGale would have any chance, unless we see huge improvement from him. He's a fair fighter, of course, but Ward looks as if he could have a Calzaghe-esque dominance at 168 lb for the forseeable future if he wants it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:01 pm

No chance for me either. As mentioned he struggled in his european title fight against an average fighter. Ward's different class.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:30 pm

No, because Ward seems to be an elite fighter and a fighter who can't throw a straight punch (DeGale) will never beat an elite fighter.

Groves beats DeGale 100 times out of a 100, De Gale is far too flawed to operate at top level.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

Ward is a slick counter puncher, he would do a job on Degale.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm

At this moment in time the fight is laughable, but we don't know how good Degale will be after he has as many fights as Ward has at this moment in time, but that will take a few years and by that time we don't know where Ward will be. Don't think this fight will ever happen in honesty if it did right now Ward basically shuts Degale out. We don't know how good Degale is going to be though, must stress that point.

He isn't a top level operator right now, but to say he can't ever be a top level operator is absolutely foolish.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:17 am

Not a chance. But Ward has a better chance against Ward that Groves. Still if I were those two, I'd be praying that Ward moves up to LHW. Stay the hell clear from him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:23 am

Give Degale another 7 or 8 fights and then judge.. he has ok power, a good chin, good skill, foot work and speed, and has proven to be able to dig deep when he needs too..

He just needs more experience against decent opposition and he could be a great top level fighter, but he also needs to grow up a little

I think Groves has a suspect chin which will hinder him when he starts to face decent fighters..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:01 am

tcribb wrote:No, because Ward seems to be an elite fighter and a fighter who can't throw a straight punch (DeGale) will never beat an elite fighter.

Groves beats DeGale 100 times out of a 100, De Gale is far too flawed to operate at top level.

Give it a rest. The fight between the two was really close, even to the point that DeGale could have even won it.

How that means he beats him 100 out of 100 is beyond me.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:39 am

Not a hope in hell, Ward is one of the greatest and most skilful fighters in the world, Degale is no2 in England and not much more than an overhyped novice.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:07 am

Ha no way in hell does De Gale ever beat ward. De gale for me will only ever be a euro level fighter...certainly no where near ward, who has to be the best smw since Calzaghe, though I think Joe would beat him, it would be an absolute cracker that fight.

I feel for Carl froch after his loss, I think he should think very hard about his future fights, I think we will start to see a decline rapidly in him, due to the punishment he takes.

Perhaps an option would be a move north to what would be a fairly easy strap from cleverly.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:09 am

For starters Cave_Man the concept of Andre Ward being in a "Cracker" is amusing to be honest, to be fair Calzaghe wasn't really a particularly exciting fighter either, so although there would be a high level of skill I don't really think that it would be a good fight. Most probably be scrappy and very untidy.

Degale after little over 10 fights is a strong Euro Level fighter, why will he not improve to be a World Level fighter I ask?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

I don't actually believe Degale will beat Ward, but out of the current candidates around (Kessler, Froch, Groves, Dirrell, Bute), I do think he might be his nearest rival in a couple of years time.

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:19 pm

Degale needs a lot more experience. I mean he's only had like 12 pro fights so he's got time.

But he needs to work on his weaknesses big style and I don't think his current trainer is the man to help him reach the top.

Getting a new trainer would be the first step to becoming a fighter. At least that's what I think for Degale anyway.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Tue 20 Dec 2011, 5:28 pm

Absolutely not, now or at any point in the future.

I'm not even sure DeGale will go on to be world class.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

Pretty absurd suggestion - you really need to make a strong argument to support it.

Personally I think Dirrell or Bute are the most likely to beat him.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

Hard to judge how DeGold will develop over the next few years. The talent is there not sure about his trainer though. Some of the anti-DeGold stuff on here is unreal. He has lost one to Britain's other top prospect George Groves and is Euro champ after 12 fights. That's not bad.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

SugarRayRussell wrote:Hard to judge how DeGold will develop over the next few years. The talent is there not sure about his trainer though. Some of the anti-DeGold stuff on here is unreal. He has lost one to Britain's other top prospect George Groves and is Euro champ after 12 fights. That's not bad.

We seem to have a lot of ginger people on this board.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
SugarRayRussell wrote:Hard to judge how DeGold will develop over the next few years. The talent is there not sure about his trainer though. Some of the anti-DeGold stuff on here is unreal. He has lost one to Britain's other top prospect George Groves and is Euro champ after 12 fights. That's not bad.

It's not DeGolds fault they have no soul! Could James Degale be the guy to beat Andre Ward?  3513163098
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:

Laugh OK

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm

I cant understand how anyone can make the assesment that Degale wont go on to be world class when so far all the signs point towards him doing so.

a, he was an Olympic champ, meaning like Ward, he has very good technical ability and a good pedigree..
b, After just 12 pro fights he has been British Champ and currently is Euro champ.
c, has all the tools he needs, speed, foot work, chin, fight, and his power is not bad.
d, Still young enough to improve, especially as he has only had 12 fights..

the only thing which seems to have made people doubt him is the last two fights..

So lets have a look at them
Groves, I still think Degale edged that fight by 1 or 2 rounds and I think the best Groves deserved was a Draw.
That being said Groves is Britain's other hot prospect who was also undefeated. But Groves changed his style for this fight which has to be out or respect for Degale.
Bottom line is the fight was Very close, and both fighters out classed Paul Smith showing they are both more than worthy of entering the Euro stage.
Then Degales last fight where he won the Euro title against Wilczewski with 30 pro fights under his belt only 1 defeat and was a Euro champ...
While that was not exactly a world level challenge, it was a difficult fight that Degale won.

He also proved that when things get tough he can pull through it, after taking a hard punch which rocked him, but he came back to outbox a guy with far more experience, decent power and allot of hunger...

This fight proved that he needs to improve if he is to enter a world stage, but Im not sure why some feel that he will be unable to improve given that most fighters have a bout 20 odd fights before they start to take on these kind of fights..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 25 Dec 2011, 12:00 am

Obviously right now, no. Andre Ward hasn't been defeated as a fighter since he was 12 years old. Make no bones about it, SOG is living up to his knickname. He's an exceptional talent, with only the lack of real KO power being his only weakness.

Moving on to James Degale, I think too many have wrote him off to early. He's only had 12 Pro fights to date. He's got all the tools to be successful, and let's not be presumptuous that he does not have a fighters brain, he won an Olympic Gold medal and that's no mean feat.

I do believe a fighter of Degales style (Athletic, flashy, quick etc) is the only type of fighter who could score a points victory over Andre Ward. Other than that, I can only see Bute and Dirrell giving this guy any trouble at the present moment in time.

....in addition, even though I keep saying it, but if a 165lb catchweight fight could be made: Martinez vs Ward then that would be considered a significant challenge and wouldn't want to call it.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Is this article a joke or what?

If people actually believe DeGale can beat Ward then please give me some of what you are drinking/smoking

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

Steffan wrote:Is this article a joke or what?

If people actually believe DeGale can beat Ward then please give me some of what you are drinking/smoking

I don't recall seeing anyone say Degale would beat him now, but that in the future when he developed a bit more he could have a chance..

Ward had not even had a 12rd fight in as many fights as Degale came euro champ, so I think if anything maybe they are pushing Degale too fast and allot of his weaknesses are being exposed against decent fighters.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 5:53 pm

tunes666 wrote:
I don't recall seeing anyone say Degale would beat him now, but that in the future when he developed a bit more he could have a chance..

So when exactly in the future do we mean? 3 years? 5 years? When Ward is on the slide and not that unbeatable anymore anyway?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 28 Dec 2011, 6:03 pm

Steffan wrote:So when exactly in the future do we mean? 3 years? 5 years? When Ward is on the slide and not that unbeatable anymore anyway?

Hasn't that been pretty much the norm among the supermiddles?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Hasn't that been pretty much the norm among the supermiddles?

I dont wanna shatter your hilarity but I was actually waiting for a comment like that Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 28 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

De gale needs to forget about Ward and concentrating on his development at the moment he is not good enough to beat Ward who would school him. I reckon in a few years De Gale can beat Ward when he is closer to his peak.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 28 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

Steffan wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Hasn't that been pretty much the norm among the supermiddles?

I dont wanna shatter your hilarity but I was actually waiting for a comment like that Smile

Man walked into a bar. It hurt.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

Steffan wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

So when exactly in the future do we mean? 3 years? 5 years? When Ward is on the slide and not that unbeatable anymore anyway?

Firstly Ward is 27 and has plenty of time and can in fact still get better.

Second of All Degale needs more fights... he has only had about 2 or three fights really against opposition that presented a potential challenge.. the Rest he did not even brake a sweat ... How is he supposed to find out how good he is in that time?

I think the thing is with Degale and also Groves is there was not enough challenges for them in the UK apart from each other, and maybe even Europe.. So they have had to press on quicker than they would have liked, unlike Ward who had 15 fights before even signing a 12 round fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:52 pm

DeGale just doesnt look to have it the way someone like George Groves does to be honest. I would give St. George more of a chance against Ward in a few years time as he looks a more complete boxer and more chance of going further. I dont mind either fighter so good luck to them...but for me DeGale is not the man to topple Ward

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down