The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Watt

+22
HumanWindmill
oxring
Adam D
two_tone
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
OasisBFC
Il Gialloblu
compelling and rich
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
superflyweight
88Chris05
The Sweet Science UK
Union Cane
John Bloody Wayne
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
milkyboy
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
Fists of Fury
JabMachine
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jim Watt Empty Jim Watt

Post by JabMachine Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Does anyone else find him annoying?

I respect that in his day he was a decent boxer, but why have Sky chosen him to do their coverage? The man is awful, he sounds annoying (My father is Scottish and is equally as irritated by the man's voice)

I'm trying to watch back some recent fights and I'm having to mute it every time I hear his voice.

Who would you have in a dream team of broadcasting?

I'd much rather a current or very relevant boxer gave opinions, like how Lewis did with HBO etc. i found that worked well, inbetween rounds giving a great insight - Joe Calzaghe, Bhop, Dirrell, Kessler etc for the Froch fight - these would have been interesting to listen to.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Jim Watt Empty Re: Jim Watt

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

He is a dreadful commentator.

Froch got beaten handily on Saturday, granted, but the way Watt put it you would have thought he was getting his face caved in in every single round. It also really annoys me how he scores the round to the non-Brit if the Brit doesn't win it convincingly. E.g. round 1 on Saturday, nothing at all happened really, so it was a pretty clear 10-10 round, yet Watt scores it to Ward - for what, exactly?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:39 pm

Lennox Lewis used to do it for showtime I think, someone like that would be fantastic.

Watt gets too excited when what appears to be a good shot lands, he starts screaming and it drives me insane. Personally think that Enzo and Paul Smith on boxnation have been very good.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

Lennox Lewis is the worst commentator alive, no offence Lennox, you were an awesome fighter, but you don't really have the voice for commentating.

Jim Watt I actually love him, but that's me. If I have a choice between him and McRoooooooooooooooooooooooory (That's how long it takes for him to say his name) then it's Watt hands down.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:46 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:He is a dreadful commentator.

Froch got beaten handily on Saturday, granted, but the way Watt put it you would have thought he was getting his face caved in in every single round. It also really annoys me how he scores the round to the non-Brit if the Brit doesn't win it convincingly. E.g. round 1 on Saturday, nothing at all happened really, so it was a pretty clear 10-10 round, yet Watt scores it to Ward - for what, exactly?

unless the brit is fighting felix sturm Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:47 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:He is a dreadful commentator.

To be fair Fists, Watt said at the end he gave Froch two points and admitted that it was being extreamly kind which meant he thought Carl didn't do enough.

I dunno, I don't mind his ramblings as I pay more attention to whats happening. The only thing I do really like is when a fighter gets tagged and is wobbled, his accent when he is excited "HES HURT IAN" "HIS LEGS ARGH GAWN" is quiet funny.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:48 pm

"They're just AAAARRRRUUUUM PUNCHEEES!"

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

A Norn-Iron mocking someone else's accent, whatever next...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

I've never really liked the guy. Don't like his commentating style & some of his score cards for fights have left me baffled.

He earned a bit of respect during the Khan-Peterson fight where he was actually saying Khan is going to get deducted points if he's not careful as the ref is warning him. But then Ringside don't have him on their show when Khan comes on which I thought was rubbish!. They gave Khan a pass with that interview, but that's another story.

But generally not a fan of Jim Watt & I don't think I ever will be.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:50 pm

Union Cane wrote:A Norn-Iron mocking someone else's accent, whatever next...

Houl on a wee minute Union, yer bang outta order there so ya are....
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

To be honest I think Jim Watt is great for when the action is going fast. For example the Pacqiaou/Hatton fight or the Hatton/Tzsyu fight his commentary is brilliant, repeats himself a million times but he is a guy that can add to the drama.

The commentator I hate is Adam Smith... Adam Smith is excellent when there genuinely is some drama, like his commentary when Mayweather gets rocked by Mosley for example is awesome, but take Audley Harrison/Martin Rogan for example he was commentating on it like he was watching Hagler/Hearns not one of the most boring Heavyweight fights you're going to ever see. He always tries to tell you that somethnig dramatic is happening when there literally is nothing happening.

Ian Darke is brilliant. Full freakin' stop. Best commentator I can't fault him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:"They're just AAAARRRRUUUUM PUNCHEEES!"

Are they punches that hit Bob Arum? Because if so I want a go.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

I agree Fists, watching the fight back - the first round was Holly Wilaboobie for tat, I would have said Ward did better, but like you said nothing actually happened, no real clean hits, nothing other than testing each other - that means the round should be scored 10 - 10 in my opinion.

I thought Lennox was a great commentator, I like the insight, and I like the idea that he's been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. I wouldn't like to listen to him commentating on featherweight fights though, that would be wrong, he doesn't understand that as deeply as he does heavyweight.

Same as Jim Watt, he should be kept for Featherweight/Lightweight/Welterweight fights. Then let someone take over for the heavier weights. As boring in the ring as he was, I think Johnny Nelson - out of their current pundits would be the best for the SMW/LHW division if they're unwilling to bring in people like Calzaghe.

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:59 pm

If Johnny Nelson could learn to speak Whistle

No for me the best in the team at analysis is Jim Watt in my opinion. Lennox Lewis for me is a bit poor, the things he says are very cliched and at times when I have listened to him in the past like the Berto/Collazo fight I was sitting there thinking... "Do you really know what you're talking about Lennox, you're just rambling....?"

George Foreman, the man is just hilarious I think we can all agree.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Dec 2011, 4:59 pm

I actually think that Watt has got a fantastic voice for commentating, though it seems I'm in the minority!

That said, fantastic voice or no, he does talk some of the brown stuff now and then. Just the other night for example, repeatedly saying that Froch needed to take chances and be willing to march forward, taking two shots in order to land his own. The next minute, there's Jim bemoaning the fact that Froch has walked on to a shot in an attempt to cut off the ring.

But as JBW says, got to love those (Bob) Arum puncheese.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

E.g. round 1 on Saturday, nothing at all happened really, so it was a pretty clear 10-10 round, yet Watt scores it to Ward - for what, exactly?.

Precisely - I can't remember him ever scoring a round 10-10 (it appears to be a growing fault amongst judges as well). The opening round was as good an example of a 10-10 round as I've seen lately. Ward started better and Froch came back into the round with both men appearing to be assessing the other before engaging fully.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:04 pm

What on gods green earth is an arm punch?

I understand, turn your hip move into the punch - but I still throw with my arm, my jab doesn't come from my hip, especially if I'm back-pedalling. What is an arm punch?

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:12 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I actually think that Watt has got a fantastic voice for commentating, though it seems I'm in the minority!

That said, fantastic voice or no, he does talk some of the brown stuff now and then. Just the other night for example, repeatedly saying that Froch needed to take chances and be willing to march forward, taking two shots in order to land his own. The next minute, there's Jim bemoaning the fact that Froch has walked on to a shot in an attempt to cut off the ring.

But as JBW says, got to love those (Bob) Arum puncheese.

I actually like Jim Watt but he does throw up some baffling score cards. Like Haye v Valuev.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

I think the thing with Watt on occasions is he scores based on what he thinks the judges will score on given the venue, home fighter etc. Think he got grief for the Haye Valuev fight but for me it was a clear instance of him thinking that Haye was not doing enough to make it clear.

I personally don't have an issue with him, have not seen anyone that stands out greatly, as long as it is not Duke McKensie, Buncey or heaven forbid Colonel Bob Sheridan I am easy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

You can't fault Sheridan on enthusiasm! The same can't be said for Duke who can put me to sleep quicker than any punch.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Dec 2011, 5:31 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:You can't fault Sheridan on enthusiasm! The same can't be said for Duke who can put me to sleep quicker than any punch.

Can't stand Sheridan, there is an old theory in commentating that you should sometimes let the action speak for itself, think it is safe to say this is not a theory he subscribes to, the guy never shuts up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm

...Sheridan's finest hour..

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:36 am

JabMachine wrote:What on gods green earth is an arm punch?

I understand, turn your hip move into the punch - but I still throw with my arm, my jab doesn't come from my hip, especially if I'm back-pedalling. What is an arm punch?

When you don't shift your weight with the punches.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

im more concerned at he just doesnt know what he's going on about, during the big build up to the haye v wlad fight all the pundits were saying how haye needed to get on the inside so he could hurt him, apart from watt of course who said he needs to stay on the outside right in range for wlads jab. sadly it seemed haye was the only one around who listens to watts nonsence. then of course there was his commentating for the vaulev fight where he had him up without even landing a punch!!

theres so many times that he puts his score card up and you might as well have just tossed a coin for the winner of the round. be more accurate anyhow. was very shocked in that i actually had a scorecard similar to him in one of the recent fights, suppose theres a first time for everything!!

Last edited by compelling and rich on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:57 am

"This MUST BE, this HAS TO BE, ONE OF THE BIGGEST, IF NOT THE BIGGEST UPSETS in the history of BOXING!" How can you not like that Rowley you miserable get!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:00 am

I don't mind Watt, Dave McAuley is my worst commentator.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

Seriously does no one else think that Adam Smith is constantly trying to sell you the fight whilst you're watching, knowing that it's a pap fight?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:"This MUST BE, this HAS TO BE, ONE OF THE BIGGEST, IF NOT THE BIGGEST UPSETS in the history of BOXING!" How can you not like that Rowley you miserable get!

As the old saying goes a broken clock is right twice a day

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

JabMachine wrote:I agree Fists, watching the fight back - the first round was Holly Wilaboobie for tat, I would have said...

Sometimes, the swear filter on here is brilliant. Holly Wilaboobie for tat is almost as good as Man Sausage Tiger.

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

I quite like Atlas and Tessitore but Tessitores voice annoys me a tad and Atlas'constant strange metaphorical way of speaking just becomes nigh on ridiculous after a bit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:30 am

Atlas and Tessitore are an improvement on Big Tigger, that's for sure...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:31 am

alma wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Seriously does no one else think that Adam Smith is constantly trying to sell you the fight whilst you're watching, knowing that it's a pap fight?

He's a Sky man through and through. He's hardly going to say "this is a total mismatch, don't bother staying up for it" is he?

No but surely be a little more realistic, and I'm talking while the fight is going on. The Martin Rogan/Audley Harrison fight commentating took the actual biscuit. I don't know what he was watching but I would rather have seen that than watched the actual fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:36 am

anything prizefighter i cant stand with the sky commentaters, lost count of the line "this is what prizefighter is all about" usualyl as two of them are swinging wildly and barely landing a punch

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

i don't share this hatred of watt, he was a genuine world champion, he took a 15 round beating like a man from an all time great so when he talks about heart he knows what it means. None of this makes him a great commentator but it adds some gravitas to his opinions.

also, the perfect choice for an andre ward fight, as he was a master of the dark art of leading with the head.

He was (admittedly the lesser) half of the team who commentated on some brilliant fights in the 80's with the late great reg gutteridge, so he's a familiar and perhaps nostalgic voice for me.

As for his scoring of fights... he's there to commentate so its not his primary focus, i don't always agree with him, but then the judges don't agree with each other, no-one on here agrees with each other, so why should I expect to agree with him.

Had the haye valuev fight happened in vegas valuev would probably have won on the plodding forward counts for more than 1 flashy punch. I and the guys i watched it with thought it was closer than the scores, and given it was in germany we were expecting no favours. I really don't see that as something to have a go at watt for - he was basically criticising haye for not doing more and removing the doubt. Pretty fair beef if you ask me.

I can understand if you find his voice irritating, but there are bigger muppets in boxing to focus the hate on imo

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:16 am

dont think in the ride exploits should be regarded to heavily as many of the greats have taken one to many to the head. i mean does any body take paul merson seriously on SSN. dont see why he's given the role of scorer by the team when he's so often wrong.

thought haye fought a smart gamplan against valuev, would have been stupid to take more risks. i could understand why watt was saying he needed to more in germany but he then totally disregarding what he was watching and judged the fight on what he fought the german judges would give, it was baffling to say the least.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

being a good fighter doesnt make you a good commentator.

every sport is true of this.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

Rich, given your earlier comments i wasn't expecting agreement, but I think he gets the scores wrong less often than merse. Wink

I take your point that sometimes he scores as he sees it and sometimes as he thinks the judges will. Don't agree on haye's strategy for the valuev fight though, he took a risk with the judges that paid off. frankly if it hadn;t we'd all have been screaming at him for only throwing 1 punch a round... just like we did against Wlad. There was very little in the rounds in haye v valuev and very little in them on haye v wlad. On the scorecards they look like pastings when neither were.

oasis, true, and i did state that, its why they're more often used as summarisers. On balance i'd rather hear the opinion of someone who's been there than someone who hasn;t though... duke mckenzie being an obvious exception to that rule

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Find it funny that you feel the need to have a pop at Watt when the rest of the Sky team are even worse. Nelson, McCrory (in the studio or commentating), McGuigan and whatever current fighter they bring in the studio to bum lick.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:43 am

prettyboykev wrote:Find it funny that you feel the need to have a pop at Watt when the rest of the Sky team are even worse. Nelson, McCrory (in the studio or commentating), McGuigan and whatever current fighter they bring in the studio to bum lick.

It's because he's Scottish Kev, we hate you all and don't let anyone try and tell you any different.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

rowley wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Find it funny that you feel the need to have a pop at Watt when the rest of the Sky team are even worse. Nelson, McCrory (in the studio or commentating), McGuigan and whatever current fighter they bring in the studio to bum lick.

It's because he's Scottish Kev, we hate you all and don't let anyone try and tell you any different.

The Krankies will be heartbroken. Crying or Very sad
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:00 am

Not been a good couple of years for the Krankies. First Jimmy falls from a beanstalk and now this!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

I think I'm solidly in the minority of the people that think JIm Watt is almost always right in what he says and he's a great commentator.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

I think I'm solidly in the minority of the people that think JIm Watt is almost always right in what he says and he's a great commentator..

That minority is you and Jim Watt.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:I think I'm solidly in the minority of the people that think JIm Watt is almost always right in what he says and he's a great commentator.

I don't always agree with Watt but I think he's probably the best in Britain at what he does with the exception of Richie (I'll work for anyone) Woodhall.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

The man has to make a living! But Richie has literally worked for everyone that has ever done anything to do with boxing come to think of it...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:19 pm

The one that i cant stand is Adam Smith, vile little man. I'm suprised the way he talks to some of the boxers they have on there sometimes that one of them havent taken his head off.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

on that note - would anyone be interested in a Q&A with Jim Watt?

I just found out he lives down the road from me and was going to knock on his door one day soon and ask him for an interview!

Do you think it would be worthwhile?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Adam D wrote:on that note - would anyone be interested in a Q&A with Jim Watt?

I just found out he lives down the road from me and was going to knock on his door one day soon and ask him for an interview!

Do you think it would be worthwhile?

Yes, sign him up! But hide this topic first.

Ask him if he wants to be a member as well Wink
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Just the fact that he fought Buchanan and Arguello would make him a very good Q & A subject, in my opinion.

Bring it on.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

'so jim, thanks for your time. Finally, do you have a message you'd like to convey to the posters on 606v2?'

'yes'

splat,

the sound of jim's forehead on adam's nose.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next