The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez vs Kirkland or Mosley?

+6
spencerclarke
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Mr Bounce
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Valero's Conscience
10 posters

Go down

Alvarez vs Kirkland or Mosley? Empty Alvarez vs Kirkland or Mosley?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Apparently Alvarez is looking to fight in April 2012 with the two names being floated about being James Kirkland and Shane Mosley!

I'd accept Kirkland just as a reputable opponent but Mosley, no chance!

Kirkland is fighting in January 2012 anyway and poses more of a threat to Alvarez at this point in time but for Mosley get a shot would be ridiculous.

For Mosley to lose a wide decision to Floyd, then scrape a draw against Mora, lose another wide decision to Manny, then not fight for nearly a year then get another title shot.......WTF!

Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Alvarez vs Kirkland or Mosley? Empty Re: Alvarez vs Kirkland or Mosley?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

Hope its not Mosley. I don't think it will be either he left GBP no way would Oscar give him a shot at his new cash cow.

Kirkland would be interesting but I can't help but feel that Kirkland would punch himself out after 4 rounds or so and get sparked out after round 6 or 7.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

I would like to see Kirkland's mouth shut again. I believe that Alvarez is a class act and will make Kirkland miss and look stupid before KO'ing him. About 6 rounds should do it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

I would love for this fight to happen with kirkland. Alvarez is the golden boy of the sport and is stepping up with every fight. From N'Dou, hatton, rhodes, Gomez to Cintron, he has got better as have his opposition. He's become a dynamite puncher after settling into a weight were he's huge. You wouldn't bet against him not to knockout hatton inside 6 if they met again.

Kirkland is an animal, and i think he is p4p among the most explosive and hardest punchers in boxing atm. He come to fight, he loads up on every punch and doesn't let you go when your hurt. He's coming of a huge win vs angulo and his stock has re-risen since ishida. before Ishida he was touted as being the king of both the Lightmiddle and middleweight division.

canelo was hurt by cotto, a lightweight and kirkland was koed by a light puncher. This will have a lot of knockdowns and could turn out like maidana-ortiz.

Saul should win as angulo countered kirkland and knocked him down and alvarez is far more accurate, skilled and is alot quicker

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

I would be very interested in a Kirkland/Alvarez fight.

Alvarez still has a couple of question marks around his chin since he was shaken by a non puncher is Jose Cotto and Kirkland bangs, very very hard, ANgulo took a serious, serious beating and to be honest Jim Lampley I think was correct on the night when he said if the referee didn't stop it Angulo would have been killed in the ring.

But likewise Kirkland has a very suspect chin also, knocked down 3 times by a non puncher in the Ishida fight and then knocked down by Angulo by what was basically the first punch and only really won because Angulo punched himself out, but to be fair also because he was brave and managed to take big shots.

Would of course pick Alvarez to win. But could be a very interesting fight as Kirkland is a very live and very dangerous opponent, but wouldn't be overly suprised to see a demolition job on either side.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:00 pm

Yeah doubtful to go the distance. Great whilst it lasts though. Think Alvarez would fight intelligently 'til Kirkland tires himself out. Alverez to take him out around 7 or 8

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:53 pm

No way they'll stick kim in with Kirkland. They'll probably stick him in with Mosley so he can beat another faded welter.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:55 am

Sadly it's true, Mosley can have one last little payday and Mosley is a big name despite pretty much being shot and putting in woeful performances in the last couple of years.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:11 am

Maybe Mosley is only being mentioned in case Kirkland slips up against Molina.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Hard to be anything other than massively disappointed if it is Mosley, think his performances over the last couple of years have proven there is not a lot left and his form above 147 was always patchy even when he was a good number of years younger, so hard to see this as anything other than a painful night for him should it happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

I hope it doesn't I've always been a big Mosley fan. I would be a bit surprise Mosley and GBP had a falling out before he signed to fight Pac. I'm surprised Oscar is willing to give him this pay day.

I don't think there is any need to protect Alvarez any more. Cotto isn't a possibility due to Top Rank and GBP being children who are intent on killing the sport. Apart from Kirkland there isn't much else maybe Martosiyan but I think he's with Top Rank so again not possible.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:41 am

The fact that Cotto/Alvarez can't happen due to Top Rank and Golden Boy is just insane. Golden Boy seems the more willing party however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

I'm not sure Golden Boy would be that willing to put there newest cash cow up against Cotto until they know for sure he's past it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:48 am

Yeah I don't think Cotto is really past it even though there have been an awful lot of people saying he is, I'm not sure the beating from Pac and Marg really took much out of his body in the end.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:50 am

They might have but in reality he has fairly lost one fight to one of the best of his generation not a bad record and he never looked like damaged goods a couple of weeks ago.

SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:51 am

Looked smoother than ever in truth.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:59 am

He boxed as well as he had in years and doing that to Margarito isn't easy he's a big strong guy who just wears you down. The problem Cotto may have is getting himself that up for a fight again his intensity was awesome even after the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

Yeah to be honest I don't think he had ever trained as hard as that before, even for the fight with Pac, but you're right in that I would be suprised if he was ever able to be as good as he was that night, again.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

It was so personal to him and his family.

The one thing that always got me about the whole hand wrap thing was Mararito being adamant he never used dodgy wraps for the Cotto fight. But said he never knew about it for the Mosley fight so how would he have known if he had used them against Cotto?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

It's time for Alvarez to step up to the plate and prove himself to be the real deal. It's all very well to build a young prospect gradually, but when it gets manipulated so that he's world champion then he's got no excuses. If he's old enough and experienced enough to hold a belt then he should be old/experienced enough to take on genuine challengers. I'd love to see how he does against Kirkland. That would be a fight.

Bet he ends up with Mosely though.....

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

His opponents haven't been awful, they have been genuine World Level for the most part or fringe World Level at the very least, also he has slowly but surely had tougher and tougher tests. I think he is going in the right direction, he isn't the finished article just yet so they don't want to put him in with a near elite level fighter in Cotto at this moment in time. They're building hi up and gaining him experience against tough guys, you can't argue that since the Hatton fight a while back he has massively improved.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Remember the guys only 21 and had no amateur career. Yes he's a World champion but in modern boxing it's an achievement not to become a World Champion with the way titles are invented.

There are plenty of World champions who aren't taking on top level fighters.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

Thats pretty incredible... He didn't have an amateur career, chicka chicka say whhaa??

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 21 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

rowley wrote:Hard to be anything other than massively disappointed if it is Mosley, think his performances over the last couple of years have proven there is not a lot left and his form above 147 was always patchy even when he was a good number of years younger, so hard to see this as anything other than a painful night for him should it happen.

Never write off a legend.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Thats pretty incredible... He didn't have an amateur career, chicka chicka say whhaa??

He turned pro at 15 so no amateur career. Had his first 12 rounder when he was something crazy like 16. He was a boy fighting men.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

Must ask the question then, how on earth is he so good? He is pretty solid defensively, has a very good ring IQ and ring generalship, understands boxing so much better than most that have stellar amateur careers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down