The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lamont's Replacement

+2
red_stag
pioden gorllewin
6 posters

Go down

Lamont's Replacement  Empty Lamont's Replacement

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 21 Dec - 0:16

With the confirmation that Sean Lamont is leaving at the end of the season. Where do you think the scarlet's should strengthen for next season? I'm assuming that Lamont was on a reasonable salary with us. I'm hoping the the renewing of all those contracts (was it 21 contracts was it?) last season won't absorb the majority of his salary. Personally think we don't need to replace his squad position with another centre/wing. Think centres are covered with JD2, Scott Williams, Adam Warren, Nic Reynolds, Rheon James etc. Also on the wings should be ok with North, Stoddart, Fenby, Iongi, Lee Williams and Liam Williams able to cover that position too.

Hopefully I'd like us to use the Lamont salary on a quality lock. Still have my doubts about Dominic day, Damien Welch, Lou reed etc Ideally it would be nice if we could produce some locks from with the region. However I haven't seen any locks stand out in the premiership with Llanelli, Carmarthen Quins or Llandovery.

Also if Deacon Manu goes this summer (out of contract?) , think be another area to strengthen to help bring on the likes Rhodri Jones and Simon Gardiner. Anyone know of any props & locks that are coming to the end of their contracts this summer? (realistic ones! Don't think our budget would stretch as far as Chateris, Adam Jones & Gethin Jenkins unfortunately )

pob lwc i ti Sean i'r dyfodol & Pob hwyl a diolch am bopeth ( Good luck for the future Sean & thanks for everthing)
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Lamont's Replacement  Empty Re: Lamont's Replacement

Post by red_stag Wed 21 Dec - 0:19

What about Ciaran Ruddock. Yes originally an Osprey but is a Welsh qualified lock.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 21 Dec - 0:21

Definitely a lock - all the top teams have a second row leader, a big second row who the whole team can rally behind - thinking the likes of O'Connell, Cullen and Muller at the provinces.

Thats the sort of player the Scarlets need.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 21 Dec - 0:41

red stag:

good shout. but we could really do with an experienced second row, who is the finished article. but that type of lock is propably way too expensive for us.

artful dodger:

completely agree. the examples you've given show how important having a second row leader really is to successful teams, especially in europe.

there was talk of us signing nathan hines before he signed for leinster a few season ago, but apparently we couldn't afford him. but that's the type of player we should be looking for. think someone mentioned erik lund at the start of the season, but read he's signed for another two years with Biarritz. What's Jamie cudmore situation like at clermont?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec - 0:49

I'm not sure we will be recruiting. The money freed up by lamont's move could well just go on securing Foxy for another contract.

Rhys T's contact is up this season as well, so if we don't keep him, getting a tight head in will be more of a priority then 2nd row.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 21 Dec - 0:55

dreamer:

wasn't Rhys T on 180k when he first signed from the dragons? Sure if he does stay it would be on reduced terms. But you are right the front row does need looking at.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Dec - 0:55

What's Jamie cudmore situation like at clermont? .

Well let's put it this way he returned from the RWC and has already sat out a suspension. He gets roughly two a season if you believe the Sky Sports commentators.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec - 1:01

reduced terms aye pioden, but Rhys T is getting on now and will be looking for more money I would say. If he wants more, I can't see him staying.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 21 Dec - 1:09

sam:

thanks, probably not a great option for us to have him back then.

dreamer:

sounds like we will have to join the queue with most other clubs/regions this summer in looking for a good TH.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 21 Dec - 1:24

If the scarlets want a big second row, i'd look towards South Africa.

Then again, you could always take Tito from the Blues...his contract is up at the end of this season, i believe Wink

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Dec - 1:43

sounds like we will have to join the queue with most other clubs/regions this summer in looking for a good TH.

Almost everybody is looking for a good tighthead this summer. Including big spending Bath and Wasps with Gloucester and Sarries also keeping a look out (but they aren't so desperate).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 21 Dec - 4:04

gcblues:

Lol think we would pass on Tito – but what about a season loan swap of one of our promising hookers ( Kirby myhill or emyr Phillips) from macauley cook?

We’ve gone down the south African lock route before with Hottie Louw, which ended up being an expensive mistake. But maybe there is a young bakkies botha type player out there somewhere for us!
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 21 Dec - 4:11

rugbydreamer wrote:I'm not sure we will be recruiting. The money freed up by lamont's move could well just go on securing Foxy for another contract.

Rhys T's contact is up this season as well, so if we don't keep him, getting a tight head in will be more of a priority then 2nd row.

Rhys is supposed to be on 180k a year, I can't see the Scarlets offering him another contract like that. Considering he seems far away from the Wales squad I wouldn't be suprised if he goes to England for a pay off before he retires.

The Scarlets don't need to replace Lamont, Liam Williams is a ready made replacement.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down