The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match Defining Shots

+6
Simple_Analyst
Tenez
Henman Bill
laverfan
bogbrush
SAHARA STALLION
10 posters

Go down

Match Defining Shots Empty Match Defining Shots

Post by Guest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

I was just thinking back over 2011 and 'that' shot by Nole in the USO against Federer and was wondering what other match defining shots you can share (as I dont know of many!)

Back to top Go down

Match Defining Shots Empty Re: Match Defining Shots

Post by SAHARA STALLION Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8iunyDh4ms

0:59. That forehand changed the rally, and the match itself.

SAHARA STALLION

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 7:19 pm

Taking up the theme of Dokovic and Federer at the US Open semi-final.......

Same two players, same place, same time two years earlier. The hotdog for match point, converetd next point.

Same two players again, 2008. Same place and same stage (again!!). Federer plays a smash/lob from the back of the court.

Those boys do serve up some special stuff against each other, don't they?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:56 pm

The missed drop shot by Federer at RG 2011 which could have won the first set for him at 5-2.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

Murray had a big missed shot at Wimbledon against Nadal. He was on course to take the first set and missed a really makeable shot and then had a period after that where, whether coincidentally or not, probably not, he didn't play at his best and the match started to run away. I think that was this season?
EDIT: After going away and fact checking that, I see that it was this season, however I thought the missed forehand cost him the first set and then a straights set defeat. In reality I remembered wrong. He won the first set and the missed forehand perceived by many as the turning points occurred in the second set.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

laverfan wrote:The missed drop shot by Federer at RG 2011 which could have won the first set for him at 5-2.

Very good choice.

Goran v Becker 1990. Goran at 18 had just beaten Becker at teh FO and it was Goran's first semi at Wimbledon. Takes the first set 64, has SP in the second set. Great serve sending Becker in the crowd, a weak soft ball comes back to Goran at the net who just needs to drop it anywhere in the open court while Becker went to pick up daisies but sends it long!!!!. This shot was in Goran's mind in all the close TBs and SPs he lost v Pete later.

Also Edberg v Chang FO89? Edberg with same dead easy volley to put away for a double break in the 4th sets having won 2 sets...sails it long.

Federer Nadal Rome MP. Probably had a great impact on their future H2H on clay.

Federer missing MPs v Safin AO05.

Federer missing MP v Djoko USO 10 (as well)

Federer throwing away 2 double break points for an dead certain 2 sets 0 v Delpo USO 09 and his 6th USO title.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:40 pm

Murray's missed shot to an open court at Wimbledon was actually for him to go a set and a break up against Nadal in a match he was dominating. He won the 1st set.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:44 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Murray had a big missed shot at Wimbledon against Nadal. He was on course to take the first set and missed a really makeable shot and then had a period after that where, whether coincidentally or not, probably not, he didn't play at his best and the match started to run away. I think that was this season?
EDIT: After going away and fact checking that, I see that it was this season, however I thought the missed forehand cost him the first set and then a straights set defeat. In reality I remembered wrong. He won the first set and the missed forehand perceived by many as the turning points occurred in the second set.

Yes but had he made that point I don;t think he woudl have won cause his moving was pretty poor that day. Certainly got worse in teh second set. This is why he actually went for that big shot. He knew then he could not return very well. He is very often injured.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:52 pm

Tenez wrote:
Federer Nadal Rome MP. Probably had a great impact on their future H2H on clay.

That's what i was thinking when i happened. With hindsight, i know it did have a huge impact

My pick is the inside out forehand against Haas. Imagine he missed that shot: Fed "career slam less" instead of Nadal (and Nole probably too this spring) How wicked would that be?

Last edited by gallery play on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:53 pm

Tenez, if you want to go back through the years and go Federer surely Haas FO 09 infamous inside out forehand is the one. I mean, that has to go down as the most important point of his career.
EDIT: Rats, I was beaten to it by a few seconds. Was going to mention it earlier - it was my first thought - but the thread did say 2011 initially.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:57 pm

gallery play wrote:My pick is the inside out forehand against Haas. Imagine he missed that shot: Fed "career slam less" instead of Nadal (and Nole probably too this spring) How wicked would that be?

OHHH Yeah! I am happy to trade some to keep that one!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 9:59 pm

Henman Bill wrote:
EDIT: Rats, I was beaten to it by a few seconds. Was going to mention it earlier - it was my first thought - but the thread did say 2011 initially.

Sorry HB, too late, you have to go with your first thoughts Very Happy

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Tenez, if you want to go back through the years and go Federer surely Haas FO 09 infamous inside out forehand is the one. I mean, that has to go down as the most important point of his career.

True though this was the weirdest match. Federer had been so unlucky to be 2 sets down. In that first set he lost he had won 20% more points!!!! Try to find a set won by someone who lost 20% more points than his opponent. Not easy to find!!! And from there I am sure many thoughts of being cursed must have gone through Fed's mind. He did very well to get through.

Hey it's quiet here....enjoyable.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:03 pm

He lost, I think, one or perhaps two points on serve in that 1st set. I know he got to the tie break without dropping a service point.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:06 pm

roddick missed volley in the second set tie break for the chance to take a two set lead, that shot just showed that even when playing great in the back of his mind he doesn't think he can beat federer

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

zx1234 wrote:roddick missed volley in the second set tie break for the chance to take a two set lead, that shot just showed that even when playing great in the back of his mind he doesn't think he can beat federer
Yeah, brutal for him.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

If we are talking about Federer, then Lopez-Federer @Madrid 2011 (R2)

Third set TB Lopez serving at 5-4.

Lopez FH Wide to go 5-5.

Federer BH Wide, 5-6 Lopez. MP for Lopez on Federer's serve. Ace. 6-6. Lopez smiles as he walks back. (48 Aces between the two so far in the match).

Federer serves and Lopez BH in the net 6-7 Federer MP on Lopez's serve.

Federer's slice BH return in the net. 7-7.

Rally which Lopez dumps in the net. 8-7 Federer MP. Federer hits the back tape line and Lopez goes long. Match Federer.

Who says, 30+ year olds cannot give us memorable matches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wo99j1K-E&feature=bf_next&list=PL3EADFC4500DF3FEC&lf=results_main

Last edited by laverfan on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:17 pm

Good call on Roddick, Wimbledon 2009, biggest point of his career maybe, blew it. Fought back well after that though, but still lost.

You know talking about points vs sets, have a look at my article on Federer vs Djokovic at the Australian Open this year, a straights sets victory where people said things like "outclassed" and yet....
http://www.mytennislounge.com/comments/index.php?shell=2722

Last edited by Henman Bill on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

I'm sure there are loads of great shots from ALL top players this year, but at the moment, I really can't think beyond anything but The shot, it's kind of tatooed itself on my heart heart

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:20 pm

Another one worth mentioning (wouldn't be surprised if this is HIS pick), although this is more like a career defining shot rather than a match defining one;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-S8IYeH1U

I like that shot, so incredibly safe and yet so completely unretrievable

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:20 pm

Continuing the Federer/Djokovic US Open theme, although I can't nominate a specific shot;

2007: Federer recovers from 6-5, 40-0 Djokovic in st set.

2010: Djokovic chances his arm at match points down.

When you look at it, from 2007 to 2011 the only year they didn't have a big match was 2009
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:23 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'm sure there are loads of great shots from ALL top players this year, but at the moment, I really can't think beyond anything but The shot, it's kind of tatooed itself on my heart heart

Unfortunately that shot was later branded at the press conference as a 'hit and hope' - bad habit.

For me the greatest shot ever played.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm

2009 still very memorable for Federer's hotdog and clinically despatched match point in the next point, not to mention the overall level of that performance. To be fair these 2 have the best rivalry on tour at the moment.

On the Sampras-Federer Wimbledon 2001 match posted above, that was another match just decided by a couple of big points. I don't think you can say Federer was clearly the better player on the day.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

Henman Bill wrote:2009 still very memorable for Federer's hotdog and clinically despatched match point in the next point, not to mention the overall level of that performance. To be fair these 2 have the best rivalry on tour at the moment.

On the Sampras-Federer Wimbledon 2001 match posted above, that was another match just decided by a couple of big points. I don't think you can say Federer was clearly the better player on the day.
Indeed. There was one volley from Federer that saved him that he'd only make once in 3 I think.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm

Nadal's FH at 4-4 against Dodig @3:20+ @Rogers Cup 2011.

Nadal starts to celebrate and then stops to check on Dodig to make sure Dodig is fine. Good sportsmanship.

Dodig's Ace at 5-5 (despite his nervousness) to get to an MP followed by a DHBH winner to win the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4hQHU4_cs

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:36 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'm sure there are loads of great shots from ALL top players this year, but at the moment, I really can't think beyond anything but The shot, it's kind of tatooed itself on my heart heart

It was definitely match defining. But it would have been a great shot if it was his mp...cause frankly it was a desperate shot

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I don't think you can say Federer was clearly the better player on the day.
who said that?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm

gallery play wrote:

It was definitely match defining. But it would have been a great shot if it was his mp...cause frankly it was a desperate shot
Why desperate? he knew exactly what he was doing, and he executed it to perfection. YOu're not buying any of these "lucky shot" theories are you laughing

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:

Why desperate? he knew exactly what he was doing, and he executed it to perfection. YOu're not buying any of these "lucky shot" theories are you laughing

I agree with GP. If he knew what he was doing....why didn't he do it in the first 2 sets to start with? It was a good shot but a desperate shot!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:09 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:

I reckon it was indeed a desperate swipe, BUT if you buy a ticket you have a chance of winning, and I think it wasn't wholly dissimilar to Feds forehand v Haas, in that though Fed played a more authentic shot I doubt he meant it to catch the outside of the line.

It was fair enough, and had the forehand gone over the next point it wouldn't have mattered.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

Had to be a hit and hope shot from Djokovic - as BB says Fed shouldnt have let him off the hook anyway, he definitely mentally folded there.
Becker once won a match at USO on a final set TB net-cord...cant remember what match though.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:24 pm

bogbrush wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:

I reckon it was indeed a desperate swipe, BUT if you buy a ticket you have a chance of winning, and I think it wasn't wholly dissimilar to Feds forehand v Haas, in that though Fed played a more authentic shot I doubt he meant it to catch the outside of the line.

It was fair enough, and had the forehand gone over the next point it wouldn't have mattered.

Key difference is BB, Fed still had hope at that point, Djoko not. Fed played a gutsy shot, Djoko a reckless shot.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:27 pm

lydian wrote:
Becker once won a match at USO on a final set TB net-cord...cant remember what match though.

I think you mean the masters final 1988
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rGPOde5Ss

Great tennis!

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

Great tennis indeed. I could not stand Becker but that never prevented me from acknowledging his talent.

No apology from Becker on that point.

Didn't realise Lendl was that close to win 6 Masters.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 21 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm

Cheers GP, thats the one! I dont think Becker and Lendl quite saw eye to eye (not many did with either player to be fair), and not much for sure after that! Blimey Ion Tiriac looks abit younger in that vid...in the days when he wasnt dreaming about blue clay.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

gallery play wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:I don't think you can say Federer was clearly the better player on the day.
who said that?

I don't think anyone said that, not that I can recall anyway. Incase you thought otherwise, my statement does not require someone to have previously said that, it was a more of a general obsevation and the "you" in the sentence refers not to anyone in particular but more in a general sense.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

Hm, shame about the netcord, it was a tremendous rally before that. Not only poor from Becker in not putting his hand up, but what is he thinking flinging his racket into the crowd like that with such tremedous force. For all he knows it is going to hit some kid on the head. I think there were a lot more grudge matches in those days.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Hm, shame about the netcord, it was a tremendous rally before that. Not only poor from Becker in not putting his hand up, but what is he thinking flinging his racket into the crowd like that with such tremedous force. For all he knows it is going to hit some kid on the head. I think there were a lot more grudge matches in those days.

I can think of other things Boris did without full consideration of the consequences.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

You mean like heading into a TV studio with Tim Henman, being less informed and having a poorer memory for tennis stats, and consequently having to be corrected? I'm sure that's what you mean.

Incidentally I saw Becker at the O2 on semi finals day and he seemed fine, on finals day I was back and saw him again and his whole leg was in a cast. Not sure what happened there. Maybe a good night out?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down