The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back

+11
Mr Bounce
B91212
bathmad
doctor_grey
beshocked
wasps
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Portnoy
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
LondonTiger
15 posters

Go down

Who should start at FB v Scotland in the 6Ns?

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap2%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap2%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap23%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 10 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap70%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 31 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap0%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_lcap0%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 44

Poll closed

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Empty 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back

Post by LondonTiger Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Well as there are multi-positional players I will offer you the remaining backs in reverse order so to speak, so Full Back, Wings then centres.

At FB it looks like a straight fight between Foden and Brown. Foden has the pedigree but, having worked with Margo Wells, Mike Brown is looking a class act. Delon Armitage looked in good form at the WC, but has had further disciplinary issues. I include a raft of other, younger options - more so we can see what the cover is like.

Not included are wingers such as Monye/Sharples who have covered FB, or young FHs such as Miller/Catterick currently playing FB.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back

Post by Geordie Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm

At the moment i would use consistancy and keep Foden in there.

He is quick, attacks well, is rock solid under the high ball...and pretty solid in def.
I see him more as a first line of attack rather than last line of defence.

However...Brown's performances have been brilliant and he is right there...a must for the EPS...and he should defo get gametime in the 6n...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in the 6Ns - Full Back

Post by LondonTiger Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 pm

I agree 100% GF

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Foden is in good form and has shown up consistently for England. As such he should be an automatic selection with the rest trying to claim the back up spot in the EPS.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:At the moment i would use consistancy and keep Foden in there.

He is quick, attacks well, is rock solid under the high ball...and pretty solid in def.

However...Brown's performances have been brilliant and he is right there...a must for the EPS...and he should defo get gametime in the 6n...

I cannot but agree re: Foden/Brown.

I'm worried about Ashton going down the media/cash path.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Brown should be there to put pressure on Foden, but Foden is the starter.

If Armitage misses out on the EPS its his discipline that will have let him down. Hes proven in tha past and at the world cup he can cut it at interntaional level as a back 3 utility player and a good bench candidate.

Goode I felt was unlucky not to make the world cup squad, but now hes back down the pecking order and is a more likely Saxons candidate.
Cueto, Monye and Sharples could all make the EPS but not as a fullback option excpet as emergency in game cover.

Others I just dont see beiong in the picture at all.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Whatever Ashton may be....i always get the impression that within training and on the pitch he is the ultimate professional...ie works his socks off etc...

Of course i could be proven wrong...but i suspect not.

Ashton is just one of these guys that a few decided they didnt like...so everyone jumped on the badwagon....even though is barely any evidence for him being all the things they say...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 pm

I agree Geordie.
With regard to his possible move to Saracens how much of the talk has come from him? Seen its been a case of Saracans trying to unsettle him and/or his agent trying to forge a deal so far. I havent seen that much of him in the media/advertising.
Better off aiming such jibes at some of the Welsh lads really who are not only walking out on their regions but their country too.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

hmmm....
The problem is that realistically, they both only play fullback (i'm ignoring Foden's Scrum half pedigree)

Therefore, while we can accommodate both in the EPS, only one will ever be picked for each matchday squad.
Given that the squad will need some cover for fullback, I think you're likely to still see Armitage on the bench, ahead of Brown.

Personally, for a starting berth, I'd pick Foden, with Brown as 2nd choice.
Unfortunately, for Brown, Armitage's versatility will see him get the bench spot, and leave Brown back with Quins.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Wasp....whilst iagree...i do think Foden would happily switch to the wing should it be required on the day (he has the skills) ...the two positions are fairly interchangeable these days....

Im not sure with Armitages disciplinary record at the moment he will make the squad...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:01 am

I agree that his disciplinary record should count against him...
However, Mike Brown has always struck me as a bit of a sh!t ... but maybe England need that kind of 'ready for a ruck' attitude in some players.

I've not seen Foden play on the wing much.
Although you often seen some of the back 3 players interchanging, there still seems a reluctance for right wingers to play on the left, and vice versa.
Given that the wingers rarely switch sides, I'd have thought that it's even more unlikely for a FB to play on the wing at international level, whilst not doing it at club level.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 am

I always felt that choice of wing was down to which hand they passed off, etc...at least if i ever did play wing...i wanted to be on the left as my passing from l-r was stronger...but who knows....

I wouldnt have foden play there unless it was essential...but i dont think he would have a problem adapting...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 am

I am unsurprisingly a big fan of playing a player in their favourite position! Not just shunting players around to accomodate others.

Foden is not a winger a bit like Monye is not a full back and Mauro Bergamasco is not a scrum half.

I would pick Foden with Brown as back up.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 am

Beshocked....

I also prefer players in their chosen position...

Im merely giving an arguement that Armitage should be picked over brown for his versatility...by stating that should it be required due to injuries through a game etc Foden "could" play wing...as he has the skill set...

Thus choosing the very inform Brown over the discipline prone Armitage is still an option....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 am

Foden.
No other real choice. One of the only England players to play consistent quality heads-up Rugby. It will be a big challenge for anyone to knock Foden out of his starting 15 slot the way he is playing now.

Mike Brown is playing very well. But he has crazy eyes, and with that buzz cut he looks like an escapee from a looney bin. I can visualise him going back periodically to have the electrodes hooked up and asking for a good 220 volts to enhance his calm. He makes me nervous in a very bad way.

Abendanon is OK as long as he isn't playing any Tuilagis.

Armitage is OK as long as he is not suspended for illegal play. Again.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:57 am

Armitages disacipline should/will count against him, you wouldnt want the sort of players who cant go to somewhere like NewZealand without disgracing the shirt and getting in trouble. What England need is player slike err Mike Brown?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/jul/10/englandrugby.misconduct

I think it would be a suprise if he doesnt get a recall to the 32 man squad though. It does mean that someone has to miss out, could very well be the end of Cueto if as rumoured Sharples gets the nod.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:04 am

Peter...yes he has got that in his past...but i do believe in second chances...and that was 4 years ago nearly.

Same with Ojo...lets see if they have learnt their lessons.....

For me Cueto needs to be replaced regardless...there are better players around now...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:44 am

I agree Geordie I just find it a touch irnonic that given all teh recent hype about player shennagigans a lot of the same people are calling for Brown.

One of the reasons cited for him previously being excluded form England was his personality.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 am

But has Brown been in that much trouble since that incident and reigned in that part of his personality...or was it just a one off incident that we've all been slightly guilty of on tours when young?

Armitage on the other hand...doesnt seem to be learning his lesson....

Thats the difference i think....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 am

I think Brown has to start ahead of Foden. I like his aggression, something that Foden has lost in the last 12 months.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:13 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:At the moment i would use consistancy and keep Foden in there.

Another one here in total agreement.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:18 am

doctor_grey wrote:Mike Brown is playing very well. But he has crazy eyes, and with that buzz cut he looks like an escapee from a looney bin. I can visualise him going back periodically to have the electrodes hooked up and asking for a good 220 volts to enhance his calm. He makes me nervous in a very bad way.
Your anti-Flood because he looks like a member of a 1990's boy band and now Brown. Sir, I question your selection policies (although secretly agree with your opinion). I've never heard him talk but I would expect him to have a really high pitched whiny voice as well.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 am

Geordiefalcon hate to be the spelling police but it's consistency. Love the irony though!

Will be interesting to see what happens in the full back battle Goode vs Brown in the upcoming Quins vs Sarries clash.

Real opportunity for Alex Goode to tell the England selectors he should still be in the mix and for Brown to get one up on one of his rivals.

Agree with Londontiger that Margot Wells has really helped Brown get quicker.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 am

beshocked wrote:Geordiefalcon hate to be the spelling police but it's consistency. Love the irony though!
Will be interesting to see what happens in the full back battle Goode vs Brown in the upcoming Quins vs Sarries clash.

Real opportunity for Alex Goode to tell the England selectors he should still be in the mix and for Brown to get one up on one of his rivals.

Agree with Londontiger that Margot Wells has really helped Brown get quicker.

Aw howay man...divvnt pick me erras man....me spellin's not bad for daft geordie doon the rad in shields like..... Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 am

Maybe Margot Wells could work on Easter's pace? Also maybe the two A.Goode's could too.

Apologies Geordie.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:32 am

Accepted Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 am

Foden is a must-start for me. He has been consistantly England's best back in the past year. Brown is pushing hard and in spectacular form, and is a worthy back up. Armitage is a liability.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:45 am

B91212 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Mike Brown is playing very well. But he has crazy eyes, and with that buzz cut he looks like an escapee from a looney bin. I can visualise him going back periodically to have the electrodes hooked up and asking for a good 220 volts to enhance his calm. He makes me nervous in a very bad way.
Your anti-Flood because he looks like a member of a 1990's boy band and now Brown. Sir, I question your selection policies (although secretly agree with your opinion). I've never heard him talk but I would expect him to have a really high pitched whiny voice as well.
Good call on the voice. Good laugh, too. It would be a major disappointment if Brown didn't have one of those voices.

But, to the point, are you saying I don't know how to pick a team? My research methods are exactingly scientific, very advanced and require a lot of beer.

How do YOU evaluate talent? Simply by........watching? You are so last millenium.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:26 am

wasps wrote:hmmm....
The problem is that realistically, they both only play fullback (i'm ignoring Foden's Scrum half pedigree)

Therefore, while we can accommodate both in the EPS, only one will ever be picked for each matchday squad.
Given that the squad will need some cover for fullback, I think you're likely to still see Armitage on the bench, ahead of Brown.

You certainly need someone who can cover FB in the team, but I think it is worth noting that even when you've had that cover on the bench Foden has almost never been subbed off, it's primarily been a wing or centre, which account for more positions.

My preference would be to have a player who is more adept at playing wing/centre on the bench (Armitage doesn't have enough instinct in these positions for me). I'd take a chance on a young bolter and impact player like Joseph or May (the latter has also played FB) in the 22 shirt, with Sharples on the wing offering cover for FB if needed.

Brown wouldn't be in the match day squad therefore, but I'd hand him at least one, maybe two starts.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:35 am

Start with Foden, Brown as back-up for injuries/blooding. Armitage on the bench at 22 because we need the utility package and he covers the centres a bit too and he kicks goals. Though he is a prat...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 am

I think it will be Foden starting and Brown coming off the bench.

Foden has the experience at international level and Brown does not, so it makes sence for Foden to start.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:11 am

Mike Brown has to start, he is in sensational form and would die for the shirt. Foden is a hell of a player, but i'd move him to the wing, simply because Brown is currently the best player in the northern hemisphere on form.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:12 am

Mike Brown has to start, he is in sensational form and would die for the shirt. Foden is a hell of a player, but i'd move him to the wing, simply because Brown is currently the best player in the northern hemisphere on form.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down