The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out.

+6
Knackeredknees
robbo277
George Carlin
Thomond
Feckless Rogue
kiakahaaotearoa
10 posters

Go down

New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out. Empty New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:18 am

Rugby can learn a lot from other sports. The awareness of space from sevens, the defensive line from league, the power and leg-drive in bobsleighing.

Here´s a new one from American football. Picture this. Your side is plugging away at the defensive line less than 5 metres out from the opposition goal line. Your forwards try to burrow over but the defence keeps repelling you backwards. You sense the forwards are getting tired and run the risk of being counter-rucked. Time to bring in this guy:

Depending on where he lands, he can always run round to make it closer to the posts.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out. Empty Re: New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out.

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

I'd love to see a prop try that.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out. Empty Re: New weapon for plays less than 5 metres out.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

I love the commentator. That would´ve been 10 0 in the Olympics. So the US judge gives it a 10 and the Russian judge a big fat 0. Sounds realistic I guess but not sure he meant to say that.

I have seen a prop jump over a ruck and score but never a flip. Ashton could try it.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

That guy is an average enough receiver. Great move al the same. Hurdling has been in the NFL for a long time and I saw Shane Williams do it last season. I think some refs would call it up though. He didn't have to somersault he could have got in there anyway.

For hurdling see his guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sTnTcks3Qo&feature=related and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Ka2iDGAWA

This last one isn't a hurdle but some strong tough running all the same. Would make a class centre! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1gN0o4JO4&feature=related

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

That guy just moved more in six and a half seconds than Graham Morrison has in his entire career.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:41 pm

Isn't it illegal in rugby to try and jump a tackle?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 29 Dec 2011, 8:25 am

Robbo
Yes it is
Shane Williams was pinged for it this year

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:30 am

Who was Shane Williams trying to jump? Was the ball boy in the way?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

Palmer(i think)
he jumped in causing him to tip over palmer as he went in for the tackle

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:11 am

Palmer! That is the very definition of optimism trying to do that!

All I could find was him trying to hurdle Ojo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94YiGIte0BA

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:17 am

The reason you arent allowed to jump into the tackle in rugby is that its illegal to tackle a player who is in the air.
Anything williams has done ( and got away with) is also a long way off backflipping over an upright player. The athleticism in the NFL is mind blowing. Im not sure why he didnt just sidestep right once the defender had sold himself though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Lewsey's version on Traille in the 2007 world cup was a bit more direct but the same result. Cheeky pat on the head to round it off too.

Can't find a YouTube link Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 29 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

I have seen someone Superman dive over a ruck to score then. I guess you´re allowed to jump over the try line and then you can be tackled so to speak or held up when you´re in the air.

I can see why it´s not done in open play but imagine if Ashton had someone in his way and he dove not so much over a player but away from him and over the try line then that is allowed. A dive is not the same as a flip, granted, and you wouldn´t want to encourage that sort of thing as if it doesn´t come off you could get seriously hurt.

I wouldn´t want to see it in the game but I did respect the guy for pulling that off in the NFL. A real showboat move but if it hadn´t come off he´d either be in a world of hurt or a world of shame.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

I think it is just amazing. As PSB said, the athleticism in the NFL issimply mind blowing!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

Apparently the guy does it in practice aswell. It's grand doing it in practic where your team mates aren't seriously going to try and hurt you but to do it with the game on the line requires some cojones. This might interest some of you: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-no-huddle/09000d5d8258159d/Was-Simpson-s-flip-most-athletic-play-of-year

There is some ridiculous athleticism in the NFL but for every Cam Newton,LeGarette Blount and Jerome Simpson, there's a O-line man.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 29 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

What's an O-line man please?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

Offensive line man. The guys weighing in over 300 pounds and who aren't incredibly fit. They have to be a bit strong and as they are protecting the QB from fast linebackers and defensive ends. O-line

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

Cheers Thomond!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 29 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

Nice vid Thomond! Cheers for that. That was a seriously long dive with a forward roll. Ashton needs to check out that. The swallow dive seems more of a sparrow dive after seeing that!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 29 Dec 2011, 6:57 pm

Imagine Clay Mathews or Brian Urlacher playing union? Yikes
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm

Only thing I would add is that when it works its truly amazing but it does have the potential to go horribly wrong

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down