The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford on loan

+7
DaveM
Cumbrian
maestegmafia
maverickmak
niwatts
LondonTiger
mickey5
11 posters

Go down

Ford on loan Empty Ford on loan

Post by mickey5 Thu Dec 29 2011, 18:23

George Ford has gone to Leeds on loan.....

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/156749.html?addata=chromium

With the possibility he will remain at Headingley until the end of the season?

Will this mean Staunton will take the helm during the 6 Nations Crying or Very sad

mickey5

Back to top Go down

Ford on loan Empty Re: Ford on loan

Post by LondonTiger Thu Dec 29 2011, 18:52

There is a strong chance he would have been unavailable due to the U20 6Ns any way.

At least this way he gets some game time as next year he will be Floods back-up when staunton goes. I guess that the 10 spot will be covered by Staunton and 36 during the 6Ns.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu Dec 29 2011, 22:16

Have Tigers fans been happy that Staunton has been the bench option since Flood came back from the WC? In a faltering side Ford seemed to be doing pretty well starting ahead of Staunton at the beginning of the season.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Thu Dec 29 2011, 22:22

Flood has (rightly or wrongly) played every minute anyway I think, so it's made little difference. Cockers is usually cautious in bringing the youngsters through.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29 2011, 22:23

This for me is were England get to cautious and have far to many players to choose from, if Ford was Welsh or Southern Hemisphere he would be looking forward to a few caps next year a young exciting player like him should be involved asap with top level rugby and the International squad, what the hell good is playing in Leeds going to do for him??

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Thu Dec 29 2011, 23:05

Gives him regular 80 minutes at a decent physical level (he is still quite a small bloke), as opposed to getting scraps of game time here and there whilst Flood is in the 10 shirt for Tigers. He is still just 18 remember.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Dec 30 2011, 01:49

So was George North, Jonah Lomu, Jonny Wilkinson when they were capped.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Dec 30 2011, 07:38

Am I happy that Staunton will probably be the 10 during 6Ns - no. I am though pleased that Ford will be getting game time against adults before he spends Feb/March with the U20s.

MM, Georgie-boy is tiny. North and Lomu were built like tanks at 18. Right now he does not have the physicality needed to play day in - day out with the big boys as he tends to be targetted for big and late hits. Next season he will be pushing flood very hard for his Tigers place.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Dec 30 2011, 09:39

LondonTiger wrote:
MM, Georgie-boy is tiny. North and Lomu were built like tanks at 18. Right now he does not have the physicality needed to play day in - day out with the big boys as he tends to be targetted for big and late hits. Next season he will be pushing flood very hard for his Tigers place.
Jonny Wilkinson was a big success for England and he was capped at George Fords age, they are a pretty similar size too... Considering England are lacking good young flyhalfs other than Flood, this is a great opportunity. I am sure he will benefit from regular playing time at Leeds, but is it better than Leicester for him...?

With future England potential in mind I actually think it is a shame that Ford is held back by Jeremy Staunton, an Irish 31 year old. In my opinion Leeds would have benefitted more from Staunton and Ford would have benefitted from taking the helm at the Tigers for the Six Nations period.

Ford looked very talented at under 20s level last year, I saw him vs Wales. Looked like he and Matthew Morgan for Wales both have big futures.

I have seen him in the LV=, he looked a little chastised, similarly so did Morgan for the Ospreys. Morgan definitely the less worried to tear up the tactics sheet when he see's something worth investigating, a quality Ford showed last year too less so in the Tigers team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Dec 30 2011, 10:27

maestegmafia wrote:Wilkinson was a big success for England and he was capped at George Fords age, they are a pretty similar size too..

.. nah Jonny was bigger in physique, if not height. Also JW was first capped at 18 as a replacement on teh wing, while the following season he was playing 12 for Newcastle and England. Ford is someway behind Farrell as a 10 who can play 12

With future England potential in mind I actually think it is a shame that Ford is held back by Jeremy Staunton, an Irish 31 year old. In my opinion Leeds would have benefitted more from Staunton and Ford would have benefitted from taking the helm at the Tigers for the Six Nations period.

Except Ford would not be available for tigers during the 6Ns.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Dec 30 2011, 10:53

George Ford might be almost the same physique that Wilkinson was on debut (not quite in my opinion), but the game has become a lot more physical since then, players are much bigger and stronger than they were even in the late 90's.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:10

Ford is several years from playing for England, and some way behind Farrell and Burns. It's a good move for him, although not necessarily for his older brother!

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:19

LondonTiger wrote:

Except Ford would not be available for tigers during the 6Ns.[/quote]Why is that? Surely he would benefit more from playing Premiership level rather than under 20s? Giving another England U20s prospect a chance in the U20s 6N.

Jonny Wilkinson is currently 15 ft 10 in an inch taller than Ford and 14 st from what I remember of him around 1998-99 he was definitely a smaller stature...

Anyhow.

Do you really think that Size is all that matters here? Surely ability and experience would do him well. he would be what 22 or 23 at the next RWC still in his mid to late twenties in 2019.

Or do you think the RFU have learnt form their JW experience and agree that if you push a player too hard, give them too much responsibility at a young age it can effect their career and lead to possibly long injury lay offs?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:36

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Except Ford would not be available for tigers during the 6Ns.
Why is that? Surely he would benefit more from playing Premiership level rather than under 20s? Giving another England U20s prospect a chance in the U20s 6N.

Jonny Wilkinson is currently 15 ft 10 in an inch taller than Ford and 14 st from what I remember of him around 1998-99 he was definitely a smaller stature...

Anyhow.

Do you really think that Size is all that matters here? Surely ability and experience would do him well. he would be what 22 or 23 at the next RWC still in his mid to late twenties in 2019.

Or do you think the RFU have learnt form their JW experience and agree that if you push a player too hard, give them too much responsibility at a young age it can effect their career and lead to possibly long injury lay offs?

Certainly not, but I mentally cringe at the thought of someone like Jamie Roberts or Ma'a Nonu running down his channel. There are other things to consider too. Look at the state of the England team at the moment, likely to have at least 14 new squad members with little leadership left over from (or indeed displayed in) the last World Cup.

George is an excellent talent and I am almost certain that he will be an England starter (and a Lions contender!) for years to come. However, he just doesn't have the game management skills at the moment. You're asking a callow youth with these limitations to try and act as a pivot for a team which has little direction and few leaders, it's a recipe for disaster. I'm not against the idea of including youth in positions of responsibility (at times I have actively called for it) but George is a luxury England just can't afford in the coming Six Nations in my opinion.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:39

Oops, you're talking about at Premiership level... I should learn to read. Rolling Eyes
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Dec 30 2011, 13:14

Very good points Cumbrian...

It certainly would not be as easy to fit in Ford as it was Wilkinson at the same age due to the respective players they are amongst.

Ford is a player we all have our eye on. This could work out as a golden opportunity for him, I certainly agree that being an understudy to good player is the most progressive way forward.

In Wales you can see an excellent example of that comparing Rhys Priestland, understudy to Stephen Jones and Dan Biggar, first choice at the age of 18 learning to figure it all out on his own.

Similarly you have a hansom situation with Farrell learning from Hodgson who has been one of the best tens in English rugby for a very long time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Dec 30 2011, 13:23

MM the loan period is only until the 6Ns. Usually England insist on U20s taking preference over Premiership - unless there are pressing reasons why a club needs the player.
Cockers has said the arrangement will be reviewed at the end of Jan. We shall see who and where ford is playing then.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Dec 30 2011, 13:25

Cheers LT

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Dec 30 2011, 17:55

There really isn't a comparison. Ford is committed but has no where near Wilko's power in the tackle. He is picked on by the opposition and because of his youth will make mistakes. Normally at his age he'd be played at either 12 or 15 in order to bed him in ala Wilko or Cips but he is an out and out 10 so the only option to get him regular game time is too loan him out.

In an ideal season he would have made it onto the bench more but after the RWC and the injuries Tigers have a lot of ground to make up and can't afford to experiment a great deal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri Dec 30 2011, 19:40

Btw, Leeds already have one highly promising young 10, Tommy Bell on loan from Sale, and consistent with what Sam says they play him at 15.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jan 01 2012, 19:30

George Ford's older brother Joe is at Leeds as well and is an excellent prospect as a tactical 10. Kicks from hand and from the tee very well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon Jan 02 2012, 23:38

I'm not sure Joe is that good tbh. George at 10 and Jordan Davies (another Sale loanee) at 12 is probably the best Leeds combo.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jan 03 2012, 14:22

Joe Ford is young but tactically astute and a good points kicker. Not sure if he'll make it internationally but he seems a good club player. His move to Saints has set him back a season or two though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue Jan 03 2012, 19:06

How's Ian Thornley going with Leeds. I believe he's on loan from Sale.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue Jan 03 2012, 20:32

As I understand it Thornley has been doing well.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:18

Wonder if we can have him back?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:31

I'd presume with Allen set to return we'd go 10.Twelvetrees, 12.Allen, 13.Smith. That would be good in defence and attack LT. Maybe using Billy's cannon of a boot against Ulster might help the scoreboard tick over.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:38

I cannot see Cockers picking Billy at 10, hope he does.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:40

He has before. Billy has also been replacing Staunton on the bench when not fully fit. With Billy in good form and Allen returning from injury I think Cockers might go for that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jan 06 2012, 10:42

Can 36 kick penalties from anywhere other than dead infront of the posts yet though?

With Flood missing now till the end of the 6 nations wont they look to recall Ford ?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 06 2012, 10:51

I've seen 36 kick them from everywhere PSW. It's just a coin toss everytime and from anywhere as to whether he gets them or not. A Bedford fan told me he'd seen Twelvetrees start a run up only to have the ball blow off the tee near the touchline, Billy picked it up and drop kicked it over before the charge down arrived. As ever with Billy it's a flip of the coin.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat Jan 07 2012, 09:32

Meanwhile Ford has replaced his brother at 10, with Davies at 12. The Leeds backline, on paper, is now very exciting and stuffed with young talent. Of course hardly any of them are Leeds players.....

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun Jan 08 2012, 23:51

And Leeds scored 42 points (conceded a fair few mind).

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:28

How many of those did Ford get? I take it the Leeds full back is still kicking the points.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:31

Tommy Bell took the kicks.

Quote for the Yorkshire Evening Post:

George Ford was at the heart of all things good for Leeds

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dim Wed Jan 11 2012, 13:47

What rights do clubs like leicester have on recalling players on loans like this? I only ask as with Flood in the EPS and 36 in the Saxons the Tigers may be a little short on 10 cover behind Staunton, who else at tigers can play 10?

Dim

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jan 11 2012, 15:50

Ford's loan was only until the end of January so he will be available. Tigers are due to review his time with Leeds then. Twelvetrees will only miss LV Cup games and Staunton can step in for those so it's not that big a problem if Ford stays out on loan.

There's a couple of academy players can play 10 and Sam Harrison played there for half a game in pre season (vs Nottingham), by all accounts he did rather well (including off of the tee).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down