The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...!

+7
PenfroPete
Standulstermen
BlueNote
mpc28
ScarletSpiderman
Cymroglan
maestegmafia
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...! Empty Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:53 am

The Scarlets could be without captain Matthew Rees for the end of their crucial Heineken Cup pool campaign after he was cited for a dangerous tackle in the Boxing Day derby victory over the Ospreys.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/12/30/scarlets-matthew-rees-faces-ban-threat-over-citing-91466-30031698/#ixzz1hykQaGVS

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...! Empty Re: Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...!

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:04 am

I've had a look at this incident at 16 minutes, possible one of the most farcical citings of two players (Rhodri Jones has been cited also btw) I've seen.

(and yes I know I'm a Scarlet so would think that blah blah, but seriously, have you seen it?!)

Back to top Go down

Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...! Empty Re: Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...!

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:20 am

RD do you have a link to the incident?

I remember Ryan Jones going down in a big tackle. But I don't remember there even being a replay.

It is unfortunate but this is what rugby will be like. The Refs and citings comissioners have been coming down very very hard since the quarterfinals of the RWC

Although I completely disagree with it maybe Scarlets should suspend both players as London Irish did. To reduce their bans... Apparently that is acceptable behaviour for a club.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:40 am

They could not be that bad it's only now I have heard anything mentioned about a dangerous tackle.
I noticed a couple of high tackles but none that involved those players.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:45 am

Maes - the match is still up on the iplayer on the beeb so you can watch it on there.

All I can say is, if these two players have been cited for a tackle in which Matthew Rees ensures Ryan Jones is placed on the floor safely, why the hell haven't Adam Jones and Jonathan Thomas been cited for taking out Lou Reed's supporting lifters in the lineout resulting in him falling from a height, straight onto his back? Nigel made a point of saying if he'd got numbers, someone would have been in the bin. It was a far more dangerous incident - but no citing. Ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:50 am

Ill skip through the game and have a look.

I agree with you that all incidences should be treated equally and consistently in matches, especially when a citings commissioner is reviewing post match footage.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:56 am

Yep, he'll probably get a longish ban for that. Some nasty, cynical plays in that game. I'm surprised there aren't more citings.

Both sides have some dirty, cowardly players Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

Tis a derby match, tis bound to be a dirty game! (this one was actually surprisingly clean)

Why do you think he'll get a longish ban SafeAs out of interest, when it shows he places Ryan Jones on the ground safely?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

I don't think he did place him safely. It's a tip tackle.

There's no excuse for endangering another player even if it is a derby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

Ah we are seeing two different things then. There were far worse tackles then that one in the match imo (including the very high tackle on Stevo)

Not sure where you're getting the excuse line from though? Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Run us through it Milk what exactly did happen ? I was at the match and obviously you seen something that I missed.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

TO be honest for a derby match i thought it was played pretty clean. There were a few incidents, but nothing that I would class as worthy of citing, and that includes JT punching Shingler in the chops in the early part of the first half.

However on the 'bright side' if you will the Scarlets have Ken Owens who would step in to Smiler's shoes without any problem, and Rhodri was only really starting matches due to Iestyn being out with sickness. So even if the bans are upheld they shouldn't really impact on the Scarlets result wise.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:TO be honest for a derby match i thought it was played pretty clean. There were a few incidents, but nothing that I would class as worthy of citing, and that includes JT punching Shingler in the chops in the early part of the first half.

However on the 'bright side' if you will the Scarlets have Ken Owens who would step in to Smiler's shoes without any problem, and Rhodri was only really starting matches due to Iestyn being out with sickness. So even if the bans are upheld they shouldn't really impact on the Scarlets result wise.

I agree very clean game for a Derby match, with all the historical Llanelli vs Swansea/Neath rivalries all to the fore... Surprised there was an incident.

I liked the confrontation between Paul James, Rhys Thomas and Nigel Owens after the third or fourth scrum. When Owens called the two props over, the look on Paul James face showed how he was remembering his and Tafa’ao Filise's Yellow cards in a similar Derby match situation a year ago. Luckily this time it was just a reprimanding and request to get on with it...!

The citing is a big surprise and it would be a shame to see Rees and Jones face bans. But if they are guilty then it is right to do so. Both have very good conduct records so they will not be treated harshly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't think he did place him safely. It's a tip tackle.

I am just looking at the footage. At what time in the game roughly did this tip tackle happen...? I haven't seen any links of it posted on websites discussing the citing...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

16 mins in, Maes, at least that's when the incident that has been cited occurred.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

Maes - didn't Swansea end up with 12 men in one of those matches. Henson went for that incident with the hording and Garin Evan's head, Gibbs went for something else (the muppet did say in the build up that they were going to get their cheap shots in first) and I can't remember who the other player was. But that game was constantly breaking down into little skirmishes with the likes of Chris Wyatt and (i believe) James Griffiths on the ptich it is far to say that each little set-to was probably dirtier than the whole of the Scarlets Ospreys match this year.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

maestegmafia wrote:

I am just looking at the footage. At what time in the game roughly did this tip tackle happen...? I haven't seen any links of it posted on websites discussing the citing...!

Its just after the restart about 16 mins in, they clear him out of a ruck. I'd be very very suprised if they get a ban for that.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

If that is the incident then it makes a mockery of being cited.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

mpc28 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Its just after the restart about 16 mins in, they clear him out of a ruck. I'd be very very suprised if they get a ban for that.

So its not a tip tackle?

at 13m 14 secs Dominic Day tackles Bearman lifting his leg slightly but not a tip tackle. At 13 mins 58 Lou Reed falls from a line out looks like Adam jones and Tom Smith were under him, penalty to Scarlets, no talking to by Nigel Owens, Jonathan Davies comments that they were attacking the supporting players and not the jumper therefor it is not a foul worth more than a penalty. Rhys Priestland is taking the penalty kick until 15 mins 30 or so then Ospreys kick off, scarlets recover the ball boot a lovely kick to the O's 22m line and O's set up again... There are no big tackles around the 16 min mark so that can't be it.

16mins of play is around 32 mins into the iPlayer recording.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018p9fn/Scrum_V_Live_2011_2012_Scarlets_v_Ospreys/

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Maes it's not a tackle as such, tis more of a clearing out from a ruck in the 16th minute, if that helps you at all?

I'm getting a bit suspicous of this citing. First heard about it yesterday afternoon on the Scarlets forum, it's taken until this morning for it to reach walesonline and still nothing on the Beeb about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

Found it, its at the ruck following the restart by Biggar. Very hard to see what happens as the BBC Sport Logo is in the way.

Well if the letter of the law is applied this is probably a case for citing. Not a very dangerous act, not a tip tackle and certainly not a nasty, cynical play.

neither do either side appear to have any dirty or cowardly players...!

Cyril is just trolling as per usual....!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm

Just before 16 minute mark. I can't believe they were cited for that. Matthew Rees clearly put his mate down carefully, and Jones was hardly involved.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

Lads if this is a citing from the Pro 12 i dont think you need worry. The citing process in all the unions of the Pro12 is farcical irrespective of whether or not it deserved to be cited in the first place

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

We are pretty lucky that the Pro 12 doesn't have too much poor behaviour, considering the inconsistency of the refereeing.

I thought this game was well adjudicated by Owens, there certainly didn't seem to be too many complaints. Considering it was a Derby match, there was little incident.

I think this citing has taken us all by surprise, hopefully, as said above, that players concerned's good reputations will be taken into account and if it is deemed that they were unlawful in their actions that they will be dealt with accordingly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:15 pm

I'm till not 100% convinced on this citing. Nothing on the Beeb still, nothing on the Pro12 website either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

It's been reported in loads of papers.

The BBC is notorious for being late with sports news that isnt football. The Pro12 website is pretty rubbish too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:25 pm

I dunno the Beeb have already got the news up about Stevo's late fitness test so they seem pretty on the ball today to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

LIONS SITE
MIRROR - parent paper of the Western Fail/Wales Online
GUARDIAN scroll toward the bottom of the page

That's all I can find online. As a O's fan, if they get bans for this we may as well give up playing !!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
That's all I can find online. As a O's fan, if they get bans for this we may as well give up playing !!

Same can be said for many instances recently... Unfortunately if it is deemed that this is the way that rugby should be adjudicated, players will have to be cautionary all the time or they will face bans.

That said some instances of recent news were appallingly bad behaviour and a warranting a similar length of time off the field.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

Mirror
MATTHEW Rees has been cited for an alleged ‘tip-tackle’ on Wales ­team-mate Ryan Jones.

The Scarlets captain and team-mate Rhodri Jones are charged with a dangerous tackle on the Ospreys forward during a fiery west Wales derby on Boxing

Tip-tackle ? they were clearing out a ruck

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 30 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm

I just watched the clear out in slow motion, the problem is the prop more so than Mathew Rees lifted Jones legs up in the air so he landed on his head. It was dangerous but there was no intent, I suspect a 3 week ban for one or both players. I did not see this incident during the game but Jones is a big lad to be tipped on his head.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

Alun,

I agree, it is an unfortunate and unintentional incident that, if a ban for either player comes of it, may well reduce the Scarlets chances in the HEC.

Not good news for anyone, Scarlets or Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 31 Dec 2011, 9:45 pm

Still nothing on the BBC has there anything officially been said by the Scarlets or WRU.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

I haven't seen when the date of the hearing is

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

So is it official that they have been cited ? or is it just in the Western Mail Mirror etc.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

Apparently Both will be appealing against the charge.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/01/01/scarlets-hooker-matthew-rees-to-contest-citing-following-ospreys-match-91466-30040212/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Cymroglan wrote:So is it official that they have been cited ? or is it just in the Western Mail Mirror etc.
The only other publication to mention the citing is the lions website.

Very strange that even the Rabo 12 website doesnt mention the citing, the date of the hearing or that Rees and the scarlets wish to appeal against the charges.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

NOT GUILTY

Thank feck

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

woohoo!!

although seriously, was he ever actually properly cited? still no mention of it on proper news websites!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

Yes both of them were.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:06 pm

Well if he was found not guilty then he had been cited . Heard very little about but a not guilty verdict is right in this case.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:09 pm

It was reported here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sport-front-page/2011/12/30/matthew-rees-in-dock-over-tip-tackle-on-ryan-jones-115875-23667416/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/01/01/scarlets-hooker-matthew-rees-to-contest-citing-following-ospreys-match-91466-30040212/

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

yes, but that's the mirror and walesonline, I said proper news websites Whistle

Will wait and see if the Rabo Pro12 update their fairplay league on their website, if we've had two citings, we'll get loads of points for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:14 pm

Aha it was them who said he was cited now they printed not guilty to save face Very Happy
If there was no hearing then it's a not guilty verdict anyway so they got that bit right.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:yes, but that's the mirror and walesonline, I said proper news websites Whistle
laughing

rugbydreamer wrote:Will wait and see if the Rabo Pro12 update their fairplay league on their website, if we've had two citings, we'll get loads of points for that.
At least the Scarlets might win something at last! kiss
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

surely you wouldn't want us to overtake the O's in it? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 04 Jan 2012, 5:05 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:surely you wouldn't want us to overtake the O's in it? Whistle
HA! don't make me laugh, you have no one who can hold a candle to Ianto and Tipuric!
Nobody can get sin binned like those 2 guys, Rhys Thomas is your only "bad boy" and he's a pantomine villain in comparison. Scarlets’ Matthew Rees faces ban threat...! 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

At a Disciplinary hearing in Dublin today, the citings against Matthew Rees and Rhodri Jones of the Scarlets were dismissed by an independent RaboDirect PRO12 disciplinary committee.

The committee, chaired by David Martin (Ireland) and also comprising Philip Orr and George Spotswood (both Ireland) heard the two players' explanations of the incident in which Ryan Jones (Ospreys second row) was lifted from the ground during a tackle in the sixteenth minute of the match between Scarlets and the Ospreys on Boxing Day.
They also considered the video evidence together with statements from the tackled player and the referee and his two assistants and found that Ryan Jones had in fact been brought to ground safely as mandated by Law 10.4 (j) and emphasised by the IRB in its June 2009 directive.

Both players are able to continue playing.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

oh wow wonder why know one else reported on it?

Oh, because it was a nonsense case.

Moving on then Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 04 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

How often are people found not guilty I would think it's a rare event.
I'm glad it was a independent panel that reached this decision but it should never had gone this far.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next