The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where would 15 rounds have changed the result?

+9
Lance
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
coxy0001
azania
Daz
13 posters

Go down

Where would 15 rounds have changed the result? Empty Where would 15 rounds have changed the result?

Post by Daz Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

Afternoon chaps

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year.

Which fights have you seen where 15 rounds would have made a difference to the result.

A few I can think of would be:

Frank Bruno vs Oliver McCall - Bruno was out on his feet and really struggling in the 12th. Another round or two and he would have been stopped.

Ricky Hatton vs Louis Collazo - again like above Hatton was moments from being knocked out - another 30 seconds and Hatton would have been flattened.

More recently - Martin Murray shipped alot of punishment in the final 30 seconds against Felix Sturm and another round may have seen him face down.

What others can you think of and do you agree/disagree with the above?

Cheers
Daz

Daz

Back to top Go down

Where would 15 rounds have changed the result? Empty Re: Where would 15 rounds have changed the result?

Post by azania Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

I doubt if any changes would have happened. McCall went all out as he knew he needed a KO to win. I was thinking about the Hearns SRL fight and what would have happened if it were a 12 round fight. I reckon SRL would have poured it on from R9 or 10 as opposed to R12.

Boxers behind on points generally pour it on in the last round to try and KO the opponent.

Good OP mind.

azania

Back to top Go down

Where would 15 rounds have changed the result? Empty Re: Where would 15 rounds have changed the result?

Post by coxy0001 Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:38 am

Bute vs Andrade springs to mind.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

How about Hagler and Leonard, does anyone feel 15 would have given Marv more of a shot at winning that one?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:40 am

coxy0001 wrote:Bute vs Andrade springs to mind.

There 1st fight was shocking. One of the best examples of the ref trying to save the prized fighter! Shame Andrade was stopped in about 4 rounds in the rematch but deserved the win against Bute first time round.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:41 am

From the above examples - in particular Bruno/McCall - even 1 more round and Bruno wouldn't have been champ - his powers of recovery were questionable and I think with even a bit of pressure from McCall it would have been all over.

Hatton was all over the place and holding on for dear life. Not sure he would have survived - Collazo still seemed to have plenty of gas in the tank - even at such a late stage in the fight.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

Fists of Fury wrote:How about Hagler and Leonard, does anyone feel 15 would have given Marv more of a shot at winning that one?

I felt Hagler did enough in 12, but in a 15 rounder he would have made sure. Good shout.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

Well, I think we can safely say that Marquez would have got the nod over Pacquiao first time out had it been a fifteen round affair! Even inside twelve rounds, you can make a sound argument that he did enough to claw back that huge early deficit. Over fifteen, I believe he'd have put it beyond any doubt. From round three onwards, he had complete control over Pacquiao.

Froch-Kessler may well have been a different result had there been an extra three rounds. Certainly don't see Froch stopping the Dane under any circumstances, but he was still warming to the fight in the championship rounds. With a bit more time he may well have been able to eek out a split decision win, or perhaps more realistically a draw.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

88Chris05 wrote:Well, I think we can safely say that Marquez would have got the nod over Pacquiao first time out had it been a fifteen round affair! Even inside twelve rounds, you can make a sound argument that he did enough to claw back that huge early deficit. Over fifteen, I believe he'd have put it beyond any doubt. From round three onwards, he had complete control over Pacquiao.

Froch-Kessler may well have been a different result had there been an extra three rounds. Certainly don't see Froch stopping the Dane under any circumstances, but he was still warming to the fight in the championship rounds. With a bit more time he may well have been able to eek out a split decision win, or perhaps more realistically a draw.

Good shout with Marquez. It's a tough one with Froch - although he has a sound engine - I think Kessler was outboxing him throughout. If Froch really took the fight to him in the last 3 rounds we may have a closer decision but still a Kessler decision for me.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:19 am

Certainly see your point, Daz. I'd agree that Kessler had done the slightly cleaner work up until that point, but I feel Froch may just have had a little bit more left in the tank down the home straight. Had he nicked two of the (hypothetical) three extra rounds, he'd have been good value for a draw, I reckon.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:19 am

This is all up in the air really.

I don't mean no offense to the original post, however don't we think in many circumstances tactics would have been different and fight plans would have been changed to suit them more for a 15 round fight? Perhaps with men fighting more conservatively?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

I think Rosario would have turned the tide against Camacho had he had an extra three rounds, come to think of it. 'Macho' had mentally checked out of that fight by the latter stages; turning his back, holding at every chance, rocked badly in the eleventh and the twelfth. Rosario was all over him.

Camacho just about hung on over twelve, but I'm not convinced he'd have done the same over fifteen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

What about De La Hoya against Trinidad, were it 15 rounds would he have fought for an extra couple of rounds before running?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

jermaine taylor might have beaten froch over 15. he seemed to bottle it and go into reverse, thinking he could run the last round out. if he carried on boxing he would have won. maybe he would have bottled it in the 15 instead, but i reckon he just blinked at the right time in the 12th and froch wouldnt have been so dangerous 3 rounds later.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

He ran out of steam, don't think an extra three rounds is helping him to be honest and could realistically have lost on the cards as well.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He ran out of steam, don't think an extra three rounds is helping him to be honest and could realistically have lost on the cards as well.

maybe you're right, but i just remember watching it at the time and i didnt think he ran out of steam. i thought froch got to him a bit in the 11th and because it was the 12th taylor just bottled it and thought he could hide it out. if he had known there was another 3 rounds i think he could have composed himself and got back on top with his boxing

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

I had Froch only a round or two behind going into the last round so there is no doubt in my mind he wins over 15 having clawed his way back into the fight after a bad start, whether it be by decision or by KO.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

Lance wrote:jermaine taylor might have beaten froch over 15. he seemed to bottle it and go into reverse, thinking he could run the last round out. if he carried on boxing he would have won. maybe he would have bottled it in the 15 instead, but i reckon he just blinked at the right time in the 12th and froch wouldnt have been so dangerous 3 rounds later.

Jermaine Taylors lack of conditioning over 12 rounds is well recorded, he didn't try and coast the last 3 rounds, he was simply gassed... And if anything, I would believe that the result would have ended the same way, Froch wouldn't have lost those last 3 rounds at all.

This isn't Khan bashing, but I would have to suspect that Khan vs. Maidana may have been a little different.

My first thought when I saw this thread was Bute vs Andrade (spelling?) but that had already been mentioned.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

Khan vs Maidana may well have been different with a few more rounds. Khan vs Peterson could have ended in a DQ over 15 thinking about it if there were 3 more rounds left.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

bellchees wrote:Khan vs Maidana may well have been different with a few more rounds. Khan vs Peterson could have ended in a DQ over 15 thinking about it if there were 3 more rounds left.

You couldn't be more right about that one!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 03 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

Another one that would have been different is Martinez vs. Cintron. Martinez would have knocked Cintron clean out, only for Cintron to wake later in the hospital claiming encephalitis lethargica contracted by Martinez's gloves.

The fight is considered a DQ for Martinez and Cintron is rewarded a Win.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 04 Jan 2012, 6:43 am

Fists, was gonna bring up the Hagler vs Leonard fight myself only to see you beat me to it. However, I'm siding with Az in the fact that I thought Marv did enough over 12. Over 15 I can see Hagler really piling on the pressure, ala his fight with Duran. Could have really seen Leonard starting to tire badly due to his time out of the ring and Marv would have really started to punish him in my opnion.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:41 am

I have only seen a handful of Leonard fights - was his fitness not upto scratch or is this due to a comeback much later on in his career when he was older?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:49 am

He was much older in his come back and seeing as he was out of the ring for such a long time there is a decent chance his fitness would not have been up to a tough 15 round fights, hence why he asked for all the stipulations in terms of making the rounds 12 and the ring a certain size etc.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:52 am

Dazstarr wrote:I have only seen a handful of Leonard fights - was his fitness not upto scratch or is this due to a comeback much later on in his career when he was older?

Nothing wrong with Leonard's fitness or stamina; stopped Benitez and Hearns in the championship rounds (scheduled for fifteen too, remember), the latter of which took a gargantuan effort. Got through a difficult / frustrating early spell against Kalule as well.

I think the fact that he was returning from a long lay off, was now the wrong side of thirty and had covered more ground back-peddling in that fight than in any other are the reasons as to why he was lagging by the eleventh / twelfth against Hagler. Understandable really. Over twelve, I've long held the opinion that Leonard did just about enough to scrape the win, but I do think that with an additional three rounds Hagler would probably have won it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:02 am

Cheers Chris/Alex.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:21 am

Fists of Fury wrote:How about Hagler and Leonard, does anyone feel 15 would have given Marv more of a shot at winning that one?

Nah - I think Leonard would continue to outpunch and outbox him down the stretch. Neither really seemed that tired in the 12th and the fight would have followed a similar pattern.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:24 am

Yeah Daz, sorry for not making myself clear. I just meant that it would have been a big ask for him to go into the championship rouinds after such a long lay-off, especially with Hagler walking him down.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 04 Jan 2012, 9:00 am

The Boss wrote:Yeah Daz, sorry for not making myself clear. I just meant that it would have been a big ask for him to go into the championship rouinds after such a long lay-off, especially with Hagler walking him down.

No worries mate! Thought that was what you meant. Particularly since he didnt have a warm up and went straight into the Hagler fight!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down