The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 2012 Wish List

+2
hawkeye
Henman Bill
6 posters

Go down

My 2012 Wish List Empty My 2012 Wish List

Post by Henman Bill Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm

Here's some things I'd like to see in the coming year.

In slam matches between the top 3 players, let's see them split the first two sets
In 2011, all of the slam matches between the players who started and ended the season ranked in the top 3 had one player going 2-0 up (AO Djokovic-Federer, FO Federer-Djokovic, FO Nadal-Federer, Wimbledon Djokovic-Nadal, USO Federer-Djokovic, USO Djokovic-Nadal) and the other player facing the very challenging task of trying to claw it back with the risk of an inevitable result, less tension and ebb and flow in the match. Let’s have the first 2 sets split this time. (With Murray it’s different I think, to have him go 2-0 vs a big 3 player in a slam final might actually be more exciting than having 1-1.)

Federer vs Nadal on outdoor hard or grass
This rivalry came to a peak on the middle ground of outdoor hard and grass with the superb matches at Wimbledon 2008 and Australian Open 2009. Since then they have never done battle again at either of these venues, and they never played at the US Open at all. Since AO 2009 6 out of 7 matches have been on clay and fast indoor hard and although Roger won one of the clay encounters these matches have mostly been a bit predictable with one player much more suited to the surface and being a strong favourite. (The other 1 out of 7 was Miami 2011, but Federer did not play very well, so it was not a great match.) It is time they once again met again on a surface where it will be more even, perhaps at Wimbledon or the US Open? Oh, and Roger should win to keep the rivalry alive. It looks like Nadal arguably clinched the rivalry at AO 2009 so Roger must win to at least keep the rivalry alive, even though its peak has probably gone.

Murray to win a slam
He deserves it, even if he does it partly by luck, i.e. Djokovic or Nadal being injured or knocked out early (at least one of them). He’s won too many tournaments and masters series not to deserve one on merit. Players like Johansson or Gaudio who did win a slam were not half the player Murray was. And it will mean the end of the will Murray ever win a slam debates, which are becoming boring. I’m not saying he will do it – this article is a wish list not a prediction – but I hope he does.

Nadal to beat Djokovic
At least once. Maybe in the first 5 months of the year. It’s in danger of becoming a predictable, one sided rivalry, in fact maybe it is already. A Nadal win would liven things up.

Djokovic vs Nadal in the French Open final
As a Federer appreciator I would be particularly thrilled to see him triumph here and win every slam twice, but Djokovic (going for the career slam) v Nadal (going for the Borg record of FO wins) at the FO final could be the centrepiece match of the season (they are the clear top 2 provided Federer doesn’t walk off with the AO). Having already beaten Nadal at Wimbledon, the US Open, on clay, and in his home country, a Djokovic win here, over 5 sets on clay, would mean the domination would be total, and Djokovic would be the undisputed number 1 even more absolutely than he already is. A Nadal win and he is still the king of clay. When was the last really really classic game at the FO final, by the way. In fact when was even the last 5 setter? (Checking wikipedia, I find it was 2004 Gaudio beating Coria and before that Agassi beating Medvedev in 1999.) Maybe time for a classic then. It is as if Djokovic has conquered Nadal’s castles one by one and this would be Nadal’s last bastion. Bastion is a French word, by the way. See what I’ve done there.

Dolgopolov, Gasquet, others to find their peak form
Let’s see some entertaining players like the ones mentioned above – or others- try and really pick up and challenge the top guys as well rather than just hit a few champagne shots and then lose. More wish than expectation. If they can’t, at the very least let’s enjoy them having entertaining 4 and 5 set battles in the first week of the slam. The tour is about more than 4 players of course, not that you would know it by this article so far, ahem.

For me to see some live tennis again
After last year's exciting visit to Indian Wells, Wimbledon and the World Tour finals, I have my eye on the final weekend of this year’s potentially ambitious and historic French Open. Failing that, I may get to Wimbledon or the World Tour finals again. Live tennis is good, better and different to TV, at least if you’re close enough to really appreciate it.

Courts to get faster
I’m not asking for them to be as fast as the Mcenroe/Sampras years, but only to go back just a notch or two. Just Wimbledon and the US Open and Miami and Cincinatti would do me actually. Oh and Paris back to the 2010 speed cheers. Just so we can see a bit more variety across the season, a bit of lovely serve volley now and then, and people going for winners rewarded, and those who just wait for opponents to make a mess up more punished. Again, more in hope than expectation….

The 20/25 second rule to be a bit more enforced – just a little bit
Play fairly instead of bending the rules to suit you. Stop boring me. At least if it’s on playback I can fast forward your ball bouncing, but it usually isn’t. Minor niggle but let’s see the rule benders told off.

Olympic final (or even a slam final) between 2 players outside the top 4
Yeah, instead of Federer trying to cram another trophy into his overflowing cabinet, Nadal trying to have 2 Olympics when most players don’t get 1 shot at it or Djokovic trying to eat more grass, let’s have at least one of the big 5 finals this year between two players that are playing the single biggest match of their career and they know it, know this is their one shot at glory, the one match they'll always remember, like Nicolas Massu in 2004 or Ivanisevic in 2001. Then let’s get the popcorn out and have something like 7-5 in the deciding set with match points saved.

What do you think of my wish list? What’s yours?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

My 2012 Wish List Empty Re: My 2012 Wish List

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:15 am

My 2012 wish list would be for Federer and Nadal to meet at all 4 slam finals. This would be enough. I would not be greedy and ask for particular winners or scores as with both players motivated and best of 5 set matches I'm sure they would not disappoint.

Of course if somehow I could get tickets to watch all 4 slam finals live that would be quite nice too...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

And a 5 star hotel and flights included obviously.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:28 am

Yes Please...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

All four slam finals, 5* hotels and business class flights - count me in!!!

My other wishes for 2012:

Would love to see Fed win another FO and/or to finally scoop an Olympics single medal

Would like to see Novak retain his No 1 at the end of the year, and to successfully defend at least 2 of his slam trophies

Definitely all fingers crossed to see Murray pick up an elusive slam this year, or failing that to triumph if Fed can't at the Olympics. Obviously hope that it is the former - wouldn't Wimbledon be fab in Jublilee year like Virginia Wade managed in the Silver Jublilee?

Would like to see Tsonga really come good and build on his promising year. I would really like to see a strong challenger to the top four begin to emerge now.

Would love to see Fed play live again in 2012, to see Novak play live (as I ever never managed to do) and to see Rafa on the clay, preferably at MC overlooking the sea on a beautiful Spring day!

Another wish - to see Kvitova fulfill all the promise of brilliance she showed at Wimbledon, and for Wozniacki to just sneak one slam - I find her style incredibly boring, but I just think for pure work ethic it would be great if she could just manage the one. For Lisicki (?) to remain injury free in 2012 and to have a great year

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 04 Jan 2012, 6:23 pm

Mine is easy.

To see:

- Fed win at least a Slam - Probable

- Someone outside the top four to win a Slam - Possible (Delpo go!)

- Nadal finish the year slamless - Very possible

- Why not: Murray to win Wimbo - Unreal
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:04 pm

time please

I'm sorry you were a bit too late. I got there first and I think Henman Bill is only granting wishes on a "first come, first serve" basis...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 04 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

To be able to practice with all of the top 5-6 and be able to experience first hand the talent they actually have - not that I'd be able to extract their talent out to any great degree!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

lydian wrote:To be able to practice with all of the top 5-6 and be able to experience first hand the talent they actually have - not that I'd be able to extract their talent out to any great degree!

I would suggest to hire Wilander on Wheel (WOW). a couple of hundred bucks if you share with your friends and you get something really really close to it thumbsup
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 04 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm

Love it! It would be kind of surreal being coached by a guy who's won 7 slams. And you just know that no matter how old these guys get they'll still be able to play like demons. Not that I could meet his hourly rate though! Its $4400 for 3 hours (or $1470/hr - abit more than my local club pro!)
Shocked
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:04 am

hawkeye wrote:time please

I'm sorry you were a bit too late. I got there first and I think Henman Bill is only granting wishes on a "first come, first serve" basis...

[pout] - I will be no trouble hawkeye - I will sit very quietly and promise not to paint my face red and white! Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

time please wrote:

[pout] - I will be no trouble hawkeye - I will sit very quietly and promise not to paint my face red and white! Very Happy
Timeplease! Hug
Aren't you meant to be clipping your toenails while exfoliating the dog?
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

amritia3ee wrote:
time please wrote:

Timeplease! Hug
Aren't you meant to be clipping your toenails while exfoliating the dog?

Life can't be all work and no play amritia warning that would make Jack a very dull boy, so to speak Cool

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down