The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys

+26
youngguns6
Cardiff Dave
J_D
mpc28
Cymroglan
jay_welsh
Smirnoffpriest
wrfc1980
Artful_Dodger
Comfort
glamorganalun
Cari
manofgwent
Shifty
munkian
PenfroPete
Valleyboy
bedfordwelsh
RuckingFlanker86
Luckless Pedestrian
Breadvan
Impossible Standards
offload
XR
Chunky Norwich
maestegmafia
30 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

who will win?

Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_lcap38%Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]
Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_lcap62%Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 8 ]
Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Empty Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Dragons resisted a late comeback from Ospreys to clinch a much-needed 21-20 Pro12 victory at Rodney Parade on Friday.

The Dragons beat Welsh opposition for the first time this season as they held on for victory in an entertaining game.

With this being the last round of RaboDirect PRO12 matches before the start of the Six Nations, a host of players were hoping to make the Welsh selectors sit up and take notice.

Dragons did not look like a side who had not won in their previous six outings when Jason Tovey's penalty opened the scoring after 8 minutes.

The Ospreys' poor start was compounded when second-row Ian Evans was sin-binned by referee James Jones for a professional foul. Tovey added another penalty to give the home side a 6-0 lead.

Matthew Morgan's penalty for a scrum offence by the Dragons reduced the deficit to 6-3.

The latter stages of the half were frantic as Morgan and Tovey exchanged penalties, whilst Dragons' winger Tonderai Chavhanga was then yellow carded for deliberately slapping the ball down.

Just seconds later, Ospreys flank Tom Smith was sent to the bin for a ruck infringement on the stroke of half-time.

A successful Morgan penalty in the early stages of the second half levelled the scores 9-9.

Two tries in quick succession from Martyn Thomas and replacement Lewis Robling gave the Dragons a deserved 21-9 lead.

Morgan's fourth penalty of the night took the score to 21-12. Replacement fly-half Dan Biggar's penalty propelled the Ospreys within a converted try of the Dragons.

The Swansea side then showed their class by scoring from first-phase possession when replacement Tommy Bowe crashed over. Biggar was unable to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the match when he missed his conversion.

Biggar was again in the spotlight when his missed drop-goal in the dying moments of the game gave the Dragons a much-needed win.

The scorers:

For Dragons:
Tries: Thomas, Robling
Cons: Tovey
Pens: Tovey 3

For Ospreys:
Try: Bowe
Pens: Morgan 4, Biggar

Yellow cards: Evans ( Ospreys - 12th min); Chavhanga (Dragons - 39th min); Smith ( Ospreys - 40th min)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:53 am; edited 9 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm

But at least you could have won the 2 close derbies you've lost (though I suppose could have lost the 1 you won as well) - and are still 2nd in the league, hopefully you can do well in your other big games...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:30 am

Boy did we need that! A good performance (great by a few players) we hung on and deserved the win. After getting home I re watched the game and we still (although we won) make soo many silly errors, we panic in attack and try to play from our own 22. Hopefully now that we've got a good win we will relax and not force the pass. Last season we were a joy to watch but with Injurys and loss of confidence we've been a differnt team. We must build on this win, it's not enough to get up for a few games a season. We can playalot better than we did tonight but getting the W was everything.

Everyone had a good game but stand out performers for me -
Tovey was quality, made numerous breakes and made the first try, kicking was
good and he controlled the game well. Lydiate was emence, you couldn't pay me to run at him and he works so hard. Robblin, Thomas, jones all did well as did the rest.

Oh and there's that boyo Faletau......

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:32 am

yup toby did ok didn't he ... Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:50 am

On the ospreays - I won't go on AGAIN how overrated JT, r jones, biggar and others are but I will say...

Adam jones is vital for Wales (although he's got fatter)
M Morgan looks a good player, kicked well and looked a threat. He needs gametime, he was calm on the ball and shouldn't of been replaced.
Beck looks tidy lad but I wasn't impressed with 13,14,11 and Webb couldn't hack it. Is Ian Evans really upto it? Vrs Sid and the reborn jones he was second best! Bearman is clearly not the player he once was. Injurys gave killed him offend he's not the barnstorming 8 we knew. We weren't worried to see him go.
I'm glad toby said no when you cane knocking a few years back!

Also... Did the ospreys fan who travelled down enjoy the night/atmosphere?

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

youngguns6 wrote:Also... Did the ospreys fan who travelled down enjoy the night/atmosphere?
Yes I did, that's why the Dragons have kind of become my official second home. I normally sit in section C, row K and some of the Dragons fans who I have talked to before said they saw me on TV during the Blues Vs Dragons game a few weeks back in a Dragons shirt, so I got busted! Erm

However no mistaking who I was backing today, I was in an Ospreys top! Yahoo
But we lost and I got laughed at Dragons 21 - 20 Ospreys  - Page 4 3933776953

Still great crowd, and lovely people, best atmosphere in Wales by a massive margin, though it's been the first time I have ever gone to the ground and been on the recieveng end as an away fan. I'd love to see Rodney Parade for a Scarlets Vs Dragons game with the fans base of 50/50 split, that would really be something special.

I was glad to see the Dragons fans so happy though, I don't mind them getting this one, especially in 3 weeks we will play them in Bridgend and again a few weeks after that at the Liberty stadium, so plenty of time to give them a good hiding.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 3:20 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:They celebrated a close win over a rival in a game they desperately needed to win to get their season back on track Breadvan

Get over it

Any person with an ounce of intelligence would know that though. I am delighted Dragons got the win. It's my first win since I've been here in Afghan, so it's a massive relief. Been here for all six games we've gone without winning and when I saw the score was 21-20 on Ceefax after about 70 minutes, I was convinced we would throw it away.

Breadvan, personally I am glad that the Ospreys lost though, as it seemed like (from one of your posts) you were going to do some unnecessary gloating on here.

Hopefully we can start our season from here, even though third Welsh region is out of our reach probably. I'm sure the lads will want to finish as high as possible. I knew Faletau would put in another performance though. That lad is unreal.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:47 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:But at least you could have won the 2 close derbies you've lost (though I suppose could have lost the 1 you won as well) - and are still 2nd in the league, hopefully you can do well in your other big games...

The biggest plus has been how well we have done against the Irish Provinces, unbeaten as yet, already have Munster and Connacht home and away wins under our belt. Not many teams in the Rabbo 12 will be able to complete that, even league leaders Leinster.

Unfortunately the same can not be said of our ability against the Welsh Regions, those narrow losses are keeping us in second.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

I thought we had blew that again but well done boys we hung on.

Pluses for me:

Adam Jones (2nd rower) is having great season for us and with 2nd row injuries wouldn't be surprised o see him in 6 Nations training squad.

Faletau was again superb.

Lydiate is immense and how some posters still look at other options for No6 is beyond me.

Brew was raw at centre but its another option that could work.

Martyn Thomas again looked quality and like Jones I wouldn't be surprised to see him in training squad.

Negatives:

Tovey was bit hit n miss tonight.

Smith injured again, have always siad he makes us tick but we playing more without him these days han are with him.

We panic in attack and throw some loose balls and discipline slipped bad last night.

But well done boys, much needed win lets go and trun Perp over now in France Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:20 am

Brew had a good game but he doesn't look like a center... He is not an option there.

A good example of why is that there was a Dragons attack with a three to two over lap and space. Brew received the ball at 13, with Martyn Thomas and Harries outside him, all he had to was straighten the line commit one defender and move the ball. He took on the defender, Duncan Jones i think. But reduced the space restricting the players outside. Tackled by Matthew Morgan and the attack snuffed out.

Shame because if you were Duncan Jones, with two other forwards with Brew, Harries and Thomas running at you, you would be hoping the drop the ball, those lads are fast.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:34 am

maes,

Some of the natural centres in Wales do that ofetm Sad so for someone who has had very limited (if any gametime) there he didn't do to bad.

I had not seen any injury news but I wonder where Tuilagi and Riley were last night that we had to play Brew there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

Tuilagi had flu i think.

I know a lot of Welsh players drift, but I used that example because he di what a winger, bar Shane Williams, would do. attack the outside of a prop because you know you'll have him for pace... You can t do that at center as you just lose space and trash chances.

Keep him on the wing. He is very good at it.

What are your thoughts on the South African lad. Looks fast, doesnt score much though...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:47 am

If we had him for the past two seasons it would have been great addition as we were scoring tries and scoring them well, wings always suffer to a degree if rest side struggling and he doesn't come looking for the ball like Brew does.

Happy to keep him for now but if once Harries gets back fully fit and firing then for me I would like to see a back 3 of Brew Thomas Harries.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

He seems to drop more chances than other players...

Looks electrically fast, maybe needs more time and the team more form... But I wouldn't be penning next years contract just yet.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 10:53 am

Hug No gloating from me Rev. I was desperate for a win, given our record at RP but as much as I willed the drop goal over it would've been a travesty. The O's were dire and didn't wake up until late in the 2nd half. Kudos Wales
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm

What a night, what a win. James Jones did his best to try and hand it to his Ospreys, but we held out in the end, Massive grin on my face all night.

Toby Faletau, take a bow son, so happy your a Dragon. Lewis Evans made Tipuric look pretty ordinary aswell would love to see him remain at 7. Also good to see Jabba up to his old tricks winding O's players up, seems to inspire the pack around him. Sid turns into an animal whenever he plays with Steve.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

RF,

I have always been a big Evans fan and has now turned into a top class player, more happy at 6 I guess but with Thomas not getting any younger a long term back row of Lydiate Faletau and Evans is something I look forward to seeing.

I think Sid has been in tremendous form for us so far and is a good mentor for young Jones next to him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:13 pm

Young Jones, who's only one year younger than Sid!

It's about time we gave one of them a rest, give Groves some game time there.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Also, amazed at how many English fans who dislike so much sit at home and watch one of our derbies Rolling Eyes

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

RF,

Is he that old well I never that does surprise me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:23 pm

Yep, you wouldn't think it the way he's playing at the moment.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 07 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

Well done Newport Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 07 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

Good result for Leinster Very Happy Hope we can take advantage and win away in Cardiff.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:16 pm

RuckingFlanker86 wrote:Also, amazed at how many English fans who dislike so much sit at home and watch one of our derbies Rolling Eyes
as i dont pay that ripoff merchant for my rugby i was able to watch it online rather than the Saints game.
You could say the same about the number of Welsh who comment on English games who confess to dislikeing England with every fibre of their being Whistle

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
RuckingFlanker86 wrote:Also, amazed at how many English fans who dislike so much sit at home and watch one of our derbies Rolling Eyes
as i dont pay that ripoff merchant for my rugby i was able to watch it online rather than the Saints game.
You could say the same about the number of Welsh who comment on English games who confess to dislikeing England with every fibre of their being Whistle

First time I've looked at this thread. Didn't watch the game, so was curious why there were so many comments and why they were still ongoing.

A quick look at the pages of the topic shows no English fans commentating during the game, one of the village idiots commentating post-match (who didn't seem to actually watch it) and a couple commentating the next day. I'm not sure how that warrants the "how many" comment unless you mean how few.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

niwatts wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:

First time I've looked at this thread. Didn't watch the game, so was curious why there were so many comments and why they were still ongoing.

A quick look at the pages of the topic shows no English fans commentating during the game, one of the village idiots commentating post-match (who didn't seem to actually watch it) and a couple commentating the next day. I'm not sure how that warrants the "how many" comment unless you mean how few.

Well i enjoyed the game, ok it was littered with mistakes but your cant beat an ending like that, propper edge of seat stuff.
And the more i watch Toby i wish we had someonelike that waiting in the wings

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4