The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the p4p biggest hitter?

+15
oxring
coxy0001
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Soldier_Of_Fortune
alfredperami
hazharrison
D4thincarnation
ArchBritishchris
BALTIMORA
bellchees
88Chris05
samevans1
wow_junky
GeoffSnapes
19 posters

Go down

Who is the p4p biggest hitter? Empty Who is the p4p biggest hitter?

Post by GeoffSnapes Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:00 am

Who packs more power per lb than any other fighter? There are many heavy handed individuals out there, but who comes out on top? My initial thoughts would be the likes of Pacquaio, Arthur Abraham, David Haye and Sergio Martinez - but I'm most likely missing some obvious candidates. For arguments sake my number one would be Pacquaio. He may not have to many KO's recently (bar Hatton), but the damage he has inflicted on bigger men such as Cotto, DLH and Margarito shows this little man has big power. Some might say the previously mentioned were static objects, but he landed some massive power shots. I think he will go back to KO ways in his next fight with Mosley.

How hard can you punch?

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Who is the p4p biggest hitter? Empty Re: Who is the p4p biggest hitter?

Post by wow_junky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:06 am

I would probably opt for Donaire, I can't think of anyone who has 2 better genuine KOs than him (Montiel & Darchinyan, both top 10 p4p and prime and were KTFO).

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:10 am

Donaire is a very good shout. Pacquiao does not hit as hard now as he did at lower weights; but is still whacking hard enough to deter natuarlly bigger men.

Martinez has recently been displaying KO form; hurting his recent opponents badly. Haye is not the monstrous hitter he was at Crusierweight; but again, he seems to have carried up enough power to hurt his opponents.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

I'd say that Lopez would have to be up there. Enough whack to take anyone out at 126 lb and, I suspect, Super-Featherweight as well. Haye is obviously a contender, too.

As much as I don't like or rate him, Pavlik can bang with the best of them and would probably still feature highly in the pound for pound punching scheme of things.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:15 am

Agreed Chris, Pavlik is a big hitter. Particularly when you are take into account he is slow compared to Pavlik, Martinez, Haye. He is certainly a concussive puncher. Wonder if he will carry his power upto SM.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

Arthur Abraham or Donaire for my money. They both have some nasty knockouts. Another one of note would be David Lemieux he has knocked some people out badly as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:23 am

wow_junky wrote:I would probably opt for Donaire, I can't think of anyone who has 2 better genuine KOs than him (Montiel & Darchinyan, both top 10 p4p and prime and were KTFO).

Both those were TKOs.

If we're talking pound-for-pound power, then surely Haye wobbling Valuev while giving away something like 25% of his own body weight is a pretty good call? Hard to gauge the heavyweights against the lower weights, because they don'y move through the weights the same. Pacquiao has good power, but the damage he's inflicted to Cotto, Clottey and Margarito was all cumulative, not one-punch stuff. Hatton of course was a blowout.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
wow_junky wrote:I would probably opt for Donaire, I can't think of anyone who has 2 better genuine KOs than him (Montiel & Darchinyan, both top 10 p4p and prime and were KTFO).

Both those were TKOs.

If we're talking pound-for-pound power, then surely Haye wobbling Valuev while giving away something like 25% of his own body weight is a pretty good call? Hard to gauge the heavyweights against the lower weights, because they don'y move through the weights the same. Pacquiao has good power, but the damage he's inflicted to Cotto, Clottey and Margarito was all cumulative, not one-punch stuff. Hatton of course was a blowout.

Technically they were TKOs but both guys were wiped out, which very rarely happens to a p4p fighter

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:34 am

True, I was just being pedantic. Power is such a hard thing to call though sometimes. Just look at Sergio Martinez-I think he has a KO percentage of 'only' 50%, but he clean sparked out Williams, a guy who's thought to ba able to take a punch. Sometimes it's just a case of finding that perfect punch, regardless of power. Donaire is still a very good call though.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:35 am

How Montiel got up from that punch is beyond me.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:37 am

Yeah Martinez's left hand is monstrous, I don't think Dzin had ever been down as an amateur or pro before their fight

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

He hadn't, you are right. He actually seems to hit harder at Middleweight than lower down the scale; which is strange.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

Montiel can punch as well, he took out Hasegwa pretty handily. Up coming opponents, Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto both have digs.

Some fighters are deceptively powerful, they affect the opponent, but don't rack up many stoppages. Ward and Bradley both appear to have decent power, but barely a TKO in sight.

Gary Kirkland has been out for a while, but returned with a spectacular early knock out. Another prospect, Anthony Dirrell (the brother of Andre) looks to carry formidable power. He could turn out to be the better of the two.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

Donaire, Pacquiao, Mosley, Haye.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm

I know Mosley is a big hitter, but don't think he is considered in the real top tier of heavy handed fighters - is he?

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:11 pm

Statistically (if we're talking world class fighters) - David Lemieux

In reality one from JuanMa Lopez, David Haye, Vitali Klitschko and Nonito Donaire.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 04 Apr 2011, 1:20 pm

Nonito has to have it right now Montiel's legs whilst he was on his back said it all .

i hope his Top Rank GBP issues dont hang over him for too long he needs an active few years, move up again.
id love to see him fight Gamboa and JMLopez.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Apr 2011, 1:52 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:Montiel can punch as well, he took out Hasegwa pretty handily. Up coming opponents, Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto both have digs.

Some fighters are deceptively powerful, they affect the opponent, but don't rack up many stoppages. Ward and Bradley both appear to have decent power, but barely a TKO in sight.

Gary Kirkland has been out for a while, but returned with a spectacular early knock out. Another prospect, Anthony Dirrell (the brother of Andre) looks to carry formidable power. He could turn out to be the better of the two.

Whose Gary Kirkland?

Do you mean James Kirkland

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 04 Apr 2011, 2:46 pm

Donaire for me, seems to be able to deliver one punch ko shots moving backward. Gamboa is a good puncher too. Pacquiao hits hard but wouldn't be up there for me - if you take the hatton fight out of it his ko rate over the last 3 or 4 years is low, it's more about accumulation from speed and volume with him. Haye and AA are worthy mentions, as is Juanma. Martinez has scored some good ko's of late but I wouldn't regard him as a big puncher as such. Surprised no ones mentioned Marcos Maidana, has a massive ko ratio and is clearly a ko artist, he'd probably be no2 behind Donaire for me.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 04 Apr 2011, 4:47 pm

Juanma Lopez for me just ahead of Donaire and Haye. Don't think Martinez is a big puncher. People seem to be caught up in the fact he KOd Williams, but if you watch it Williams leaned in and his chin was wide open wasn't hard to catch him. Most top 10 MWs would have KOd Williams in that situation.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 04 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

Anyone mentioned Gamboa?

Roman Gonzalez should probably get a shout too. Segura must stay @ 108 for that fight, could be a FOTY contender

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 04 Apr 2011, 5:49 pm

Donaire and Martinez are both up there for me.

I've always felt that Pavlik is more of a cumulative puncher - rather than a 1 punch KO artist
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 04 Apr 2011, 5:56 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Anyone mentioned Gamboa?

Roman Gonzalez should probably get a shout too. Segura must stay @ 108 for that fight, could be a FOTY contender

I forgot about Gamboa don't know how was going on the other day about how impressed with him I was against Solis.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

Yep good shout, Gamboa looks to be hitting like a train! His last fight reminded me of Naz, not the outrageous defensive moves by ducking and diving but the way he was the shorter man yet still fought on the outside, jumping in with some huge shots!

Him and JuanMa will be explosive for however long it lasts!!!

Back to point, agree with the shouts above, JuanMa, Gamboa, PacMan, Haye, Martinez are all obvious. Maidana too.

If it's just on power alone then I reckon a few of the old boys still have a claim, both K brothers hit bloody hard when they put it together and Moseley has a heck of a dig!

David Tua also, what about that middleweight guy too, James Kirkland? Am I right in thinking that he has a big KO ratio???

Back to top Go down

Post by WDR Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:32 pm

I'd probably say Montiel hits harder than Donaire he was just the one on the receiving end. Montiels KO's are awesome but the harder hitter doesn't always win the fight.

WDR

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm

This topic used to be pretty easy as I'd say Edwin Valero but obviously he's not an option anymore.

David Haye hits as hard as anything, so I'll stick with him. Selchuk Aydin is a contender though need to see him more at World level.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 05 Apr 2011, 1:40 pm

Would have been Valero for me too Rob, had been following his career very closely and hadn't been so excited about a prospect since following Cotto from early on, he obviously then went a little crazy on me. Fancy Lopez as one of the hardest P4P at the moment but there's no clear winner for me, all the names mentioned above have a good shout.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 05 Apr 2011, 1:52 pm

Best punchers in boxing (in no particular order):

Haye
Boystov
Wlad
Kayode
Abraham
Bute
Pavlik
Lemieux
Paquaio
Maidana
Gamboa
Donaire
Montiel

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 05 Apr 2011, 2:06 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Best punchers in boxing (in no particular order):

Haye
Boystov
Wlad
Kayode
Abraham
Bute
Pavlik
Lemieux
Paquaio
Maidana
Gamboa
Donaire
Montiel

Kayode, Abraham, Lemieux and Boystov haven't proved it at the top level yet. No Juanma Lopez either?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 05 Apr 2011, 2:26 pm

Kayode, Abraham, Lemieux and Boystov haven't proved it at the top level yet. No Juanma Lopez either?

--------------------

I agree on Juanma Lopez. He surely deserves a place on the list. Michael Katsidis possibly as well.

Kayode, Lemieux and Boystov are unproven against higher quality opposition, but the explosiveness they carry suggests to me that their punches would still be lethal at a world class level.
Many of Abraham KO's are genuine concussive knockouts. Where the opponent is literally knocked unconscious (Taylor, Gevor, Demers etc.).
Not many boxers can claim that.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 05 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

AA is a great puncher but has struggled to do it at the top level Taylor was shot after Froch shouldn't have been allowed to enter the super six.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

Donaire, Mosley or Pacquiao

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Donaire, Mosley or Pacquiao

Mosley is a good shout always been a big puncher. Had FMJ rocked in the 2nd round but didn't do much to trouble Mora. Which is worrying because of the standard of opponent he has next. IMO Pac is more of an accumulative puncher rather than a one punch KO kind of fighter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down