The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status???

+3
azania
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status??? Empty Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 18:54

in the heavyweight lists.....

Watching Man City beat Liverpool the other night after being outplayed at Liverpool weekd before....It kind of reminded me how much difference a crowd makes to a game...Having thousands supporting you can help you run that extra mile....give you that extra incentive and motivation to do well...Certainly gives you an edge!!

Wanting to please your home fans or gaining energy from their support can be the deciding factor I'm sure in some fights!!

Got me thinking about Schmelling....Won all his biggest fights away (Louis and Sharkey) and never was a Boxer more despised at the time...Also got the shaft against Sharkey too...

Must have been hugely intimidating in those times for Schmelling fighting in America and in Soccer parlance he must have been a goal down before the fight started....

Hence the title of the thread really...Is Schelling unfairly treated in that he mainly fought with the cards stacked against him???

Should he get special consideration???

Yep think he should...History should be kinder to Max...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status??? Empty Re: Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status???

Post by Guest Thu 5 Jan - 19:02

History treats Max well enough I feel. Yes, he was unfairly cast as the villain against Louis when they fought but as time has passed, the vast majority of people know he was used a propaganda vehicle for the Nazi party, had no sympathetic tendencies in that direction and was a dear friend of Louis right up until Joe's death. He's also credited with a legitimate win over the Brown Bomber.

If we're going to take home advantage into consideration, let's downgrade the likes of RJJ and Hopkins...oh and Calzaghe while we're at it (haven't have many negative comments about Calzaghe for a while and we don't want the forum going stale in that respect)

PS we'll do City in the Carling Cup!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status??? Empty Re: Max Schmelling - Should Winning away..give him higher status???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:05

You're a Utd fan..you have my sympathies....

Home advantage is important...but nothing replaces talent...Was thinking more of his away status lifting him above guys similarly placed but slightly ahead..

He is a special case..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 5 Jan - 19:06

hahaha - hes a liverpool fan - I think you made him take cyanide.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 5 Jan - 19:09

Was gonna travel over to Didsbury and kick him in the nuts for that one, Shah!

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 19:18

Lets big up Honey also. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:23

Play the game Az........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 5 Jan - 19:25

azania wrote:Lets big up Honey also. Very Happy

What for doing what any featherweight could have done that night against the small faced one ?

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:30

The usual muppets are still on here I see..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 5 Jan - 19:32

Trussman66 is online so you may very well be correct.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 19:36

The great Arsene Wenger said that it shouldn't matter where you play because a football pitch is a football pitch. Same with boxing. The only thing to worry about is hometown decisions. I doubt the roar of a supportive crowd has any effect on your performance. A pro is supposed to be ready wherever he fights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:40

Trussman66 is on line so you may be right....

Hee hee... Doh

Next!!!!

If you don't think home support counts then why does everybody say they want a home tie in the cup or .....bid higher than the other camp in purse bids to get a fight at home..

Come on Az don't be naive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 19:47

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Trussman66 is on line so you may be right....

Hee hee... Doh

Next!!!!

If you don't think home support counts then why does everybody say they want a home tie in the cup or .....bid higher than the other camp in purse bids to get a fight at home..

Come on Az don't be naive..

It depends on the boxer. Some thrive on it (Eubank for one) others freeze and dont perform . But in the heat of battle I doubt they even hear the crowd.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:50

Oh I'm sure they do.....Must lift you tremendously especially in the clinches to hear the roars....

As for Arsene Wenger I'd rather listen to somebody who's tam is in the mix....

Monty at the ryder cup "The crowd were our 13th Man"

Kind of say's it all...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 19:54

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Oh I'm sure they do.....Must lift you tremendously especially in the clinches to hear the roars....

As for Arsene Wenger I'd rather listen to somebody who's tam is in the mix....

Monty at the ryder cup "The crowd were our 13th Man"

Kind of say's it all...

Skill wins out. In the Benn/Watson, over 80% of spectators were Benn fanboys. Didn't affect Watson one bit. It spurred him on.

To silence the crown will also spur the away fighter on. I dont think it makes much of a difference. Only with judging.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 5 Jan - 19:56

Don't think it should elevate a fighters status but can help or hinder a fighter. The crowd in the Hatton and Tzuyu fight for instance made a huge difference, being urged to keep walking down someone with that kind of power becomes a lot easier in those situations.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:57

Skill wins out If one is infinitely more talented....Never said it didn't..

However winning against similar opposition in there backyard is a different argument altogether...

How many times has someone said "The crowd brought us home" or the "crowd were like an extra man"...

Come on Az.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 19:58

I'm talking about Schmelling fighting in a cauldron of hate...."Hang the nazi" etc..

Hardly the same thing as hatton is it..

Gimme a break..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 5 Jan - 20:00

Was actually agreeing that the crowd can make a difference.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 20:00

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Skill wins out If one is infinitely more talented....Never said it didn't..

However winning against similar opposition in there backyard is a different argument altogether...

How many times has someone said "The crowd brought us home" or the "crowd were like an extra man"...

Come on Az.....

You here that all the time. I dont know how accurate that is. I always viewed that as thanking them for their support and hope you come to the next fight. Too cynical perhaps. I'm on the fence here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 20:01

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm talking about Schmelling fighting in a cauldron of hate...."Hang the nazi" etc..

Hardly the same thing as hatton is it..

Gimme a break..

Ironic that half those screaming those words at Max wouldn't have someone of Louis' colour living next to them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 20:02

You cynical Az???...I'd never believe that...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 5 Jan - 20:04

Happy new year TRUSS.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 20:09

Happy new year one two.....Hope you didn't have too many spinning back fists over the festive season... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan - 21:05

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You cynical Az???...I'd never believe that...

Whistle Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 5 Jan - 22:27

Excellent article, Truss.

I don't think Schmeling should be elevated a notable amount higher for winning away, but it's still an impressive feat all the same. The likes of Pedroza, Brian Mitchell etc would have to be bumped up a hell of a lot in that case, so not sure it's really fair to all concerned.

But as I said, it does still stand as an impressive feat and adds to his allure, if only a little. Boxers are still only human at the end of the day - it's unrealistic to pretend that some of them won't be effected by things such as atmosphere, fan hysteria and so on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 5 Jan - 22:31

He did have more hostile crowds than the ones you mentioned though Chris!!!

Thanks for the contribution..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down