The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Expectations

5 posters

Go down

Great Expectations Empty Great Expectations

Post by davidl1061 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:59 am

Did anybody see this over Christmas/New year? I had never read the book and my gf wanted to watch it. I have to say I thought it was absolutely awesome, will definitely be getting the book to read. Ray Winstone and Gillian Anderson in particular were fantastic in it!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Great Expectations Empty Re: Great Expectations

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

Thoroughly enjoyed it, david, and that was after I'd been forced to sit there and watch it against my will by the missus!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

I thought it was a brilliant adaptation, one of the best I've seen. The book is brilliant, just takes a while to get used to Dicken's writing style. His characterisation is absolutely superb though.

Havisham imo is one of the best characters he's ever created, and Anderson did a fantastic job, have to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 09 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

Agreed. Thought it was a very good adaptation...was surprised how well Gillian Anderson played Miss Havisham too. Would've liked some of the less-central characters, such as Joe Gargery, Pumblechook and Jaggers to get a bit more screen time, but other than that, couldn't fault it.

Thought the final scene was just perfect.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

Yeah, I think Joe Gargery was the only disappointment in it for me, just didn't quite get him right/include him enough to really show the relationship he and Pip have.

Agree with you on the final scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

Not once did Joe say "What larks Pip" and that made me feel slightly sad.

As an adaptation I thought it was pretty good.

Wasn't overly keen on Gillian Anderson as Haversham but I put that down to Dickens painting such a vivid picture of her in the book as opposed to any fault of Anderson.

Also I don't remember Pip being such a git in the book and forgetting Joe so severly, could be wrong though as it's been a few years since I read it.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

I finally got round to watching this last night on the TiVo. (Weird watching a programme in mid-June with Christmas BBC idents)

I enjoyed it so much I watched all 3 in one sitting. Never read the book, but I though the story was superb and had some really good performances in it.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down